Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray

3.5

Water, Magnesium Sulfate, Macrocystis Pyrifera (Kelp) Extract, Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract, Isoceteth-20, Citric Acid, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Citronellol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Linalool, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Fragrance

on 3/25/2015 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Meh. After seeing this in approximately 5930 magazines/blogs/YouTube favorites I figured I should give it a go. I have fine, straight hair and love sea salt spray for the grip and movement it gives me, although it has never given my hair waves. No matter what I try, my hair does not hold waves or curls for anything, especially not just from scrunching and spraying something on.

In the past I've tried Sunsilk's version of a beach spray (long discontinued, think I had it in 2007?), Redken's Natures Rescue Radiant Sea Spray (discontinued, I miss it a lot, it smelled INCREDIBLE), Tony & Guy's Sea Salt Texturizing Spray (currently use, it's good) and my long standing staple, Not Your Mother's Beach Babe. I love how inexpensive it is, it smells amazing, like suntan lotion, and it truly gives my hair that body and texture I want from a sea spray. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...but curiosity about B&B's Surf Spray was killing me.

After nearly choking on my gum at the price when I saw this spray at Sephora, I saw a display of travel sized Bumble & Bumble products for $9. I'm a college student working for minimum wage so I don't throw nearly $30 at 4 oz of hair product on a regular basis unless it truly blows me away. Glad I only bought the sample size because this 1. did not smell good (I don't particularly care if my products are unscented or clean smelling vs. perfume-y smelling but this actually smelled bad to me), 2. was sticky on my hair even when I only used a tiny amount, 3. did not give me waves, texture or volume. Also, maybe it's just the travel size, but the spray pump feels flimsy like it's going to get bent over to one side and break. It's not smooth to spray at all, it grinds on the way down. I see no reason why this is touted as the best spray out there, Not Your Mother's Beach Babe works way better for me and smells better, too. I have yet to be wowed by a single Bumble & Bumble product, I think they're an overhyped brand with pretty packaging. That's about it.

{SIDE NOTE: At my local Sephora (I'm in the midwest, if that's relevant at all) it costs $9 for the travel size 1.7 oz bottle of this spray. It costs $27 for the full size 4 oz bottle. Aka I could buy 3 mini bottles for $27 and end up with 5.1 oz of the product. Don't know who priced it that way, online it shows the travel size for $15, but that's how my store has been for MONTHS. Worth checking into if you like this product and aren't into spending so much.}

on 2/15/2015 9:54:00 PM

I really like this spray but can understand the mediocre reviews on here, especially given its high price tag. Admittedly, you can find cheaper sea salt sprays that will do a similar job!!

I have medium-thick Asian hair which I wear in beachy waves (kind of like Alexa Chung). However, as my hair is naturally straight and limp, I find this spray gives my crown the lift that I need to avoid the dreaded "triangle hair" look.

I spray at the roots each morning and scrunch it. I do find that it tends to dry out the hair a little, especially if I spray it on again the next day, but I think that's the reason it works - drying out the hair gives it extra grip, which gives you the volume.

The volume and texture tends to stay a bit longer than other sprays that I've tried, so I'm scrunching my hair less often throughout the day in order to give it a bit more oomph.

The thing that I really like is that it's not as wet as other sea salt sprays. I find others are too wet, which means they either take ages to dry or they start to actually undo the curls that I put in the night before. This one seems to dry quite quickly, which makes it easier to work with.

One thing I don't like about the packaging is that it doesn't come with a lid and I've lost that little clip that would stop the spray from pressing down and releasing product. This makes it hard to pack, since I can't just throw it in my bag.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Curly, Coarse

I have mixed feelings about surf spray. While it does give my naturally wavy/curly hair that beach textured look, it dries my hair out like crazy (I have very thick, coarse hair). And while all salt sprays will do this obviously if used on a regular basis, this one drastically dries it out more than others I've used (john frieda, sedu, etc). I feel like this works a lot better on people with finer straight hair. Those with thicker naturally curly/wavy hair that is more prone to dryness should stay away from this one.

on 12/28/2014 8:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I bought this stuff because I've heard good things about it at the salon I work at, but whenever I use it, it makes my hair feel dry and doesn't do much at all.

on 12/26/2014 8:58:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is one of those products that always appears on "Every Beauty Editor's Must Have Products" so I have myself convinced that it is user error that is disappointing me, not the actual product. I have naturally wavy hair, so I thought this stuff would work well for me, but the only difference I noticed was that it made my hair feel dry and disgusting and doesn't even have the added benefit of smelling really good like other sea salt sprays. Maybe the beauty editors that must have this product can teach me their ways, but until then my beachy wave dreams are dead.

on 12/18/2014 7:17:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

Where do I start? I bought this because I cut my hair shorter and wanted to start styling my hair. I really liked that kylie Jenner hair and we had very similar haircut and I've been always eyeing the sea salt spray to try. The thing that stopped me was because I'm very scared to damage or dry out my hair because this year I've been kind of detoxing my hair ( no dying, hair treatments.) trying to get my hair as healthy as it use to be. I bought this particular product was because of how popular it was and I usually shop from Mecca.

I really love the packaging. Its matte, sleek and fun and comes with a stopper to stop the pump from pressing down on travels. But that's as far as it goes.

It doesn't have a 'nice fragranced smell'. It smells a tad salty and just dull. I can't explain it but you can't smell it after you dry your hair. I only tried it with dry hair so this is my experience with dry hair. You can instantly feel how drying it is, in the hair and hands. You can feel the dry salt effect on my hand and I do not enjoy it at all. I have to wash my hand each time I use this because its that unpleasant and if that's not enough to turn me off, my hair felt like it lost all moisture. I used an intense hello hair oil treatment after just testing it out.

I tried it again after awhile, but with my little sister. She has very healthy hair because she's a kid and has natural waves. It made no difference to her waves/ curls. It looks kind of the same but at least it didn't dry her hair out (maybe because it was so shinny and healthy) I cant tell if there is any difference.

I have a feeling it would work nice on heat curled waves or maybe with wet hair. I will try it on wet hair and see. And then come and update but with dry hair... Its pretty much a bummer. Very disappointed. Was hoping for some result. But instead of doing nothing it dried my ' currently healing damaged hair' but maybe alittle volume and a bag load of messy hair.

With dry hair this gives:
- texture dry feeling
- volume plus mess
- no curls or waves

People who I recommend this to:
Want real beachy salty looking hair. Soak heaps in hair for effect.

Hair that's not very healthy... STEP WITH CAUTION⚠ I still give it two because I have some hope

on 12/14/2014 1:29:00 PM

This was a miss for me.

The packaging is nice but not great for traveling, the little lock thing that keeps the spray head stable can get loose very easily. The bottle is a nice size and easy to use but still nothing worth displaying.

The product itself was lousy, to be honest. It doesn't smell like ocean to me, it smells like saliva. I used it a few times to get rid of that too soft first day hair. While it seemed to work for the first few hours, that subtle grit and hold faded quickly and weighed my hair down. The worst effect was probably the next day. I wash my hair once every 3 days unless there is anything that requires me to do it more frequently. It doesn't get very oily and I rarely touch dry shampoo to keep it looking fresh. But after using Surf Spray on freshly washed hair, the next day my hair looked like I hadn't washed it for a good four days. It was heavy, oily and just didn't cooperate with anything but a desperate messy bun.

For the price, this really isn't worth it. I regret wasting my money on this spray when I could probably get the same results from a drugstore brand too. I wouldn't recommend it unless you wash your hair every single day and you have sworn to use B&B products for the rest of your days.

on 11/12/2014 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

You can totally make this product at home yourself! SAVE YOUR MONEY. All that it is is salt water, perfumes, and a tad bit of conditioner. I make my own salt water spray at home for nearly a dollar, and it does the same thing if not better without the additive ingredients. Google salt water sprays and thousands of recipies will pop up. This is overpriced and for individuals who are beligerant as to how to make this simple product at home.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

It's usually not a good sign when the thing you like most about the product is the packaging. I have to say...I really don't understand why people rave about this spray so much. I used it when I went to Florida this past week and expected great results because of it's good reputation. But sadly...I wasn't impressed. It smells kinda bad, is sticky, and doesn't give you any texture. The only thing I liked about it was the bottle was cute. Thumbs down, y'all. Save your money and go for the Not Your Mother's salt spray at the drugstore for 5 bucks instead of this spray that costs 40 plus dollars and doesn't do crap.

on 8/21/2014 7:28:00 PM

I love this product and use it almost everyday! I have thick hair, but the hairs themselves are quite fine and overall, my hair is limp. This spray roughs it up a bit and gives me great texture and a bit more volume. Of course, if you don't have natural waves, this product won't magically give you beachy waves. It will however give you beachy texture.

Top Rated Bumble & Bumble Products