April 24, 2014 | 1883 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Bois des Iles

rated 4 of 5 on 10/31/2013 4:08:00 PM More reviews by IceCheerMom

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought a sample of this in the parfum as opposed to the edt in the Les Exclusifs line. The parfum is beautiful and very unisex. It smells like a walk in the woods in autumn with some gingerbread sweetness included. I have been told the edt is more woody.
If you like this but are looking for a little more oomph I suggest Cuir de Russie which reminds me of Bois des Iles with some leather and spices added.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2013 5:36:00 PM More reviews by FrenchCoco

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Very much disappointed: this is the Holy Grail so many people rave about ??! It's nice but by no means a head-turner, IMO. I agree with the previous review as regards the sandalwood smelling thin and synthetic. This fragrance barely lasts on clothes, and vanishes very quickly on skin. It feels diluted, VERY diluted. Well, I'm aware that my review is rather negative; let me think of something nice I could say: it reminds me of Chanel 5, it's a soft fragrance which won't bother your co-workers, and that's about it. My number one Chanel is Coco, followed by Chanel 19, then Chanel 5; Bois des Iles must be put on steroids to enter my top 3 !

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2013 1:35:00 AM More reviews by SUPAtime

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wish I could give this a higher rating but this perfume doesn't last at all on me. Like KittyC I ended up with a faint sandalwood dry down which was nearly imperceptible. Initially, there is a wonderful blast of aldehydes-- very much like No. 5 which reveals a heart of lightly spiced sandalwood. The sandalwood is nice and has a creamy quality but also smells somewhat thin and synthetic. Overall I enjoyed this for the 30 minutes it lasted but I can't give it more than 2 lipsticks for being so short lived.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/19/2013 4:01:00 PM More reviews by gingersnap250

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

This perfume reminds me a teeny bit of #5. It must be the aldehydes, but I'm not sure. It really is a beautiful sort of everyday scent though. It's refined and mature, but I can see women 30 and over wearing it best. It has an intensity to it, but it really isn't cloying at all. I wish I were better at describing scents as to the actual notes, but this scent certainly upholds the quality of the Chanel name for sure.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/10/2013 1:55:00 AM More reviews by kittyc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

No. Not for me. I can't smell it. Three big spritzes from a large decant on to freshly moisturised skin produce a faint burst of roughened wood and a fizz of cola. That dies in a couple of minutes, leaving almost no trace on my skin, and almost no sillage other than what I might expect if I had just showered with sandalwood soap. I wish I could be transported to bliss like so many other people are, but no.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2012 11:44:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

I wish there was a maybe for "would you buy this product again", as I am on the fence about whether or not this fragrance is really for me. I bought a decent sized decant of the EDT from TPC and have tested it several times over the last 6 months or so. I'm giving it 4 stars because I do appreciate it and I do think it smells very good, but I don't really find myself wanting to wear it often. I've said this about other decants and samples in the past and then when I've run out I've decided I miss it and end up buying a bottle and loving it for a long time, so maybe this will happen with Bois des Iles.

It's funny how this EDT sometimes reminds me of No.5, and how other time it remind me of No. 22. It certainly seems to have notes that are found in both. Of course there's the massive aldehydes, but beyond that there is the jasmine, ylang-ylang, and neroli of no.5 and no.22, as there is similar vetiver and vanilla base notes. But Bois des Iles makes sandalwood the star note, blending it with the florals and resinous and woody notes to create a woodsy, warm, powdery scent that has very decent lasting power and silage. Again, I really like the smell, and am even ashamed to admit that I often prefer spritzing it in the air in a small room over wearing it. I like being able to walk through that room several times later that day and smell it. It does smell so good, but I think it is just not really the type of perfume that works with my personality enough to feel right wearing it...

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2012 11:19:00 PM More reviews by SNIFFMEALLOVER

Creamy sandalwood with a dusting of strong, nose pinching, almost headache inducing aldehydes. I read about this perfume and desired owning it. When I first smelled it, I was suprised how familiar it was. This has been done many times over the years one way or the other. Creamy, feminen smell with a very sophisticated, almost dated edge. It did bring to mind Samsara. Bois des Iles has a lovely, yummy, warm, creamy sandalwood side to it. But also a side that reminds me of visiting aunts, dressed best, hugging and kissing you, saying how much you have grown. And you just want to get away!
And I must add that this perception may be due to the fact that Bois des Iles has been reformulated. It is a tribute to sandalwood without sandalwood. Sandalwood has become very expensive due to regulations and scarcity, thus substitued in perfumery with synthetic polystantol and others. And from my experience, while polysantol has a nice warm wafting aroma, it can also be a little screechy. So just to clarify, my review is for the Les Exclusifs version. When Bois des Iles was created, sandalwood was imported from India in large quantities, so I bet back then it smelt devine!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2012 9:10:00 AM More reviews by peoplerpeople

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

First, an apology: this review will probably not be helpful to many because, as much as I like to read about fragrances, I have difficulty writing about fragrance myself. I did not like this at first because I thought it smelled too "old lady." I would wear it to, I don't know, daytime weddings or luncheons. Then I realized that I really liked the fragrance when I smelled it in my clothes. After two years, I have come to think of this as a signature fragrance, which means that I reach for this one more than others on the occasions that I wear fragrance at all. A spritz of the EDT behind the knee or at the base of my back 1+ hour before "showtime" is perfect. I like that the fragrance is not crazily overly popular; at least, I haven't noticed the fragrance on others (Yay! Mine!) Also, though I couldn't explain why, I haven't suddenly fallen out of "like" with it the way I have with other scents. There. Told you not to expect much. I just wanted to document my appreciation for no reason in particular.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2012 7:43:00 PM More reviews by squarebear

What can I add that others have not already said? It is best here to go personal: Bois des Īles sinks into my skin and more than any other fragrance becomes a part of me. Wearing it feels like being home. It is sandalwood, jasmine, gingerbread, deliciously warm, comfortably elegant, beautiful, never pretentious. It works just as well with t-shirt and jeans or flannel pajamas as it does with a little black dress, soft cashmere, or lingerie. This was love at first sniff - from its sharp, aldehydic (and slightly uric) start to its creamy middle to its soft drydown, Chanel has captured all facets of sandalwood here. Lovely, lovely, I do not think I will ever be without it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2012 9:54:00 PM More reviews by julia178

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This was the third of five fragrance from Chanel's Les Exclusifs line that I recently added to my collection, it started with Coromandel, then Jersey, Bois des īles, Beige and lastly, No. 22. Overall, I have mostly soft woody oriental gourmands in my collection, florals are almost absent, Enter Chanel... To me Bois des īles is somewhat similar to 22, minus the aldehydes and with a creamier base note. That base note consisting of Sandalwood, Vanilla and Tonka Bean with a hint of Vetyver is very soft and comforting to me. It makes Bois des īles very versatile, I can wear this at home as well as to work because it smells sophisticated and elegant. Bois des īles definitely has a more floral opening than what I am used to so I really enjoy venturing out a bit, and I enjoy how this fragrance develops throughout the day into that warm cozy skin scent. Beautiful classy Chanel spray bottle, 6.8 oz, retails for $210. Big bottle, but once it runs out, this is a definite repurchase. A word of warning to your wallet: I never paid too much attention to them, but now I find that these Chanels are addictive.