December 19, 2014 | 1563 users online

Pressed Powders - Maybelline - Shine Free Pressed Powder

rated 1 of 5 on 12/14/2014 6:38:00 PM More reviews by Florida555

I dont like this at all. It was pretty flakey and cakey when appropriately applied. The applicator it comes with is cheap as well is the packaging. Very plastic-y. I wouldn't recomend it, there are lots better products that are about the same price.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/7/2014 12:55:00 AM More reviews by CosmoFan12

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used the Shine Free line way back as a teenager in the 80's when it first came out. I had the concealer too.
I am only going to recommend it to younger women or those with oily skin as it is mattifying although gentle. It lets oily skin breathe. Good for acne sufferers. Not for aging complexions at all. But for those mentioned above, a good product.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2014 11:02:00 PM More reviews by cheesedippable

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This really mattifies and smooths the skin when I first apply it. It can tend to have a lot of fallout if you swirl your brush, so I would recommend doing the patting or wiggling a brush into the product motion. Fortunately, the compact is designed to catch fallout cos there's like a 'moat' around the pan. On the face, it does a great job setting my foundation and concealer. I tend to get pretty oily, so there hasn't been a foundation/powder combo yet that can keep my oil at bay for more than five hours, but one can hope. I do like this powder and found it easy to carry for traveling.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2014 10:12:00 AM More reviews by Steelermummeh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Oh Maybelline, how I adore thee! Okay, that's quite enough of that, I think.

So, like many women who have used pressed powder for a couple of decades, I have a couple of favorites and should they ever be discontinued I'd cry like a baby.

Maybelline has been making decent, reasonably priced products for about 3 million years and the only major change (to me, at least) has been pricing. But it's still jolly good value so I can look past that.

This powder comes in a generic container with a mirror attached somewhere around the hinges, like a million other face powders. Likewise, the powder puff is pretty generic. Use it or use something else - honestly, it really doesn't affect application to any great degree.

Now for the powder itself. This is where I think Maybelline genuinely leaves most of the drugstore brands behind...far, far behind. I blind-tested it along with three other brands (two drugstore, one "oh jeez that's almost my car payment" type), and I'm firmly convinced that Maybelline is an excellent alternative to high-end powders.

There is the slightest hint of fragrance which is neither appalling or overly appealling, but thats's fine with me. The finish will depend on how much you use, along with what you've got underneath. For the purposes of testing, I tried each powder four different ways. I would have probably mixed it up some more but there's only so much "apply, cleanse, dry, repeat" I can take. For all tests, I moisturized and primed my face first.

Method 1: Powder only

Method 2: Concealer plus powder

Method 3: Foundation plus powder

Method 4: Concealer plus foundation plus powder

So how did Maybelline perform?

1. First place, and that surprised me. It made my skin look naturally...natural.

2. Tied with Expensive Brand.

3. First place (that surprised me, too)

4. This is where it all went to heck. If you're wearing everything a la Method 4, there is no doubt - you're going to have cakiness in at least some degree. The difference is how cakey. Oddly, the more expensive powder performed worse than all three drugstore brands in this category, which are tied for first place. But they were largely as bad as each other.

Conclusion:

Maybelline has very decent staying power, which varied only a teeny bit between all four. It does conceal minor imperfections but it's not a full coverage product.

Price-wise, Maybelline, CoverGirl and Rimmel are all around the same price bracket ($10-$15/ounce), while NARS frightens my checking account at $100/ounce (give or take).

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/6/2014 2:51:00 AM More reviews by Taylorbohn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Doesn't give coverage by itself, but is good for setting foundation. I didn't like the tones, none of them really matched my skin. Nothing special about it, can go without it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2014 7:23:00 PM More reviews by valmont32677

Meh... This is okay. It oxidized somewhat on me. I really wish they would come back out w the Shine Free liquid foundation coz that w this worked together sooo well!! The loose powder version seems to mattify about as well but you get a ton more product & the puff is better. I always hit pan so quickly on this pressed powder.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2013 1:58:00 PM More reviews by hnl85

This stuff works great at controlling shine. Does not break me out like a lot of other pressed powders. I can see it becoming chalky if you put to much on at a time. Don't swipe it, pat it on. The packaging isn't the cutest, but I like how slim it is. I will continue to purchase this.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2013 5:43:00 PM More reviews by linn116

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this powder for more than 10 years, and it's the only powder I will use. I have sensitive, combination skin and this is the only pressed powder that doesn't cause break-outs for me. I use this to set my makeup and freshen up during the day. Would never be without it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2013 11:29:00 PM More reviews by peachesndream

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is an oldie but goodie product. I used to use this in high school all the time and kind of forgot about it until I was searching the Maybelline section the other day. They stocked it way down at the bottom near the floor, so it is kind of hard to see.

I like this powder a lot. I find it works well with what it claims, which is oil control. It is a really nicely milled powder that I find, as others mentioned, does not cake up at all/not chalky on application. I can use it several times throughout the day. It glides on very smoothly and is hardly visable. I am NW 15 and got the lightest shade called Ivory. It blends well and almost is translucent, which I like. This is not going to provide any heavy coverage.

No scent, slim and sturdy packaging, and I like and use the puff it comes with.

I have no complaints about this powder. great drug store purchase that performs. I like it very much, and unfortunately for me, I like it better than the Mac Blot Powder I bought for 3x the price!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2013 11:21:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I purchased this powder in Soft Cameo. It does not control oil well for me, but it also never looks cakey. I feel like this color would suit NW15 very well. I also go through alot of product because I end up using it often during the day because well, it doesn't work well lol. I hit pan fast.

It would be a decent setting powder for an NW15 with normal/dry skin lol. I like that it comes with a mirror, and the pressed compact never leaked powder into my bag, despite the product being very powdery.