September 1, 2014 | 2021 users online

Treatments - Blue Cross - Cuticle Remover

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2014 7:19:00 PM More reviews by shka

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

OMG what a product! it made my manicure and pedicure so easy and faster than before! I only need a drop on each nail and Ulta Cuticle Pusher and i'm done! love it, recommend to anyone! BTW i poured it into an old sally hansen instant cuticle remover blue tube so i dont waste the product, it works perfectly and it will last me i think more than couple of years.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2014 8:08:00 AM More reviews by edie4711

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am writing this review because this product, while truly awesome and a fantastic value for the money, is confusing and doesn't have much in the way of instructions. Once I worked out how to use it effectively, its awesomeness was revealed. I want to share that awesomeness with you.

This is the only cuticle remover I will ever need. (In fact, this particular bottle of this cuticle remover is the only one I will probably ever need. *Massive* bottle, very little product needed per use.)

Make no mistake, this remover is srs bzns. It is very basic/alkaline and must be used with care as it can and will tear up your nails when used improperly.

Having said that, it is not hard to use it with care, and with regular use will handle all your cuticle removal needs easily and conveniently.

I have a pictorial thing on my notepad explaining how I use it. I will briefly recap that here.

To use it the way I use it, you will need a couple of Q-tips, maybe a nail brush, a soft cloth of some kind (baby washcloth is great), and some kind of non-metal pusher thing if desired. (I do not always desire.) A clean cuticle nipper is a good thing to have handy. Also some cuticle oil or whatever you like to finish up.

For the new-to-cuticle-removal crowd: the stuff you are removing is the thin, papery, barely visible stuff that grows out from under the eponychium and covers your nail. Cuticle is your body's defense against germs sneaking in there. (Thanks, body. Appreciate it, but cuticle also prevents polish from adhering well so it gots to go).

I remove my cuticles once a week, usually the day before I do a polish change, and before my shower. I do it with my polish still on. It takes about five minutes.

This remover is liquid and very runny, which can be confusing to a first-time user. For ease of use, I decant it into a small--about 2 oz--glass dropper bottle.

I work with one hand at a time. With dry, unwashed hands, I drop 1-2 drops onto the cuticle area of one hand only, so they sort of fill up. Then I wet a Q-tip with the remover and commence to scrub the base of the nails with the Q-tip. Immediately I see the white papery cuticle begin to ball up and come off and roll around.

I just use the same Q-tip to do all 5 nails, then do a second pass to really get it disengaged and out from under the eponychium. The soft blunt Q-tip prevents me from getting too excited and damaging my nail or cutting up the eponychium.

If it's really bad (rare) I use a pusher of some type. I used to like an orangewood stick. Now I steal plastic nails from my nail wheels and use those; they're gentle. You can also use the nails of your other hand.

Then immediately I rinse the nails under running water and scrub with a little mild hand soap and a nail brush. Sometimes I use the other end of the Q-tip, dry, to scrub the area again, just to be sure all the bits are off. Then I use the dry baby washcloth to finish the scrubbing. None of this should hurt.

You might have a little bit of sticking-out hangnail on one or more nails. Don't panic. Put some cuticle oil on the whole business and then do your other hand.

After it's all done and the oil or whatever has soaked in nicely, you can use a nipper to just gently clip off anything that might be hanging. Nip is the key word here.

Used this way, I have never experienced any negative effects from this remover and it is the fastest, gentlest, easiest way to remove cuticles and at the same time prep the newly-emerged nail surface for painting. Done regularly, you will never have cuticle overgrowth compromising your manicure.

I hope this is helpful. I love this product and will never need another remover. I hate that it is so mysterious and unlabeled and what have you, I feel like it's really easy to misunderstand it and miss out. Thank you for reading!

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2014 5:20:00 PM More reviews by tightkitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Grey

This is a staple on our house. My fiance works in the mill and gets horrible calloused hands once a week I have him soak the palms of his hands for a few minutes and then scrub with mr pumice bar. It helps the condition of his hands and he hasn't been in extreme discomfort anymore from calluses since I started tending to them thanks to this stuff!! This is a staple for us since he needs his hands for work.
Oh yeah this softens cuticles beautifully and I soak the bottoms of my feet on occasion and it helps keep my feet soft without all the elbow work or without shelling out money for a pedi. Love this stuff!
I use a small basin and soak my cuticles in there for a few mins since if you don't use a little cup or basin you'll find yourself excessively squirting and wasting alot of product.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2014 4:59:00 PM More reviews by Kimmeh5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Good amount of product for your money. It's kind of awkward trying to apply it, it gets everywhere, but I like it a lot. I use pure acetone for nail polish removal so I moisturize the crap out of my hands and cuticles after using it. The blue cross has helped soften my cuticles and ends up making nail polish application easier, without overflooding your cuticles. It's good stuff. It also repairs my nails a bit after using the acetone, which is very harsh.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2014 8:10:00 PM More reviews by mwuah908

This stuff is amazing!! It removes my cuticles easily and also removes calluses from the back of my heels! I just poured some into a small shallow basin and soaked my heels for a while until the skin felt soft. Highly recommend!! :D

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2014 2:48:00 PM More reviews by bluestar21

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've had this for a few months. For years, I've been cutting my cuticles off, which provides temporary satisfaction but damages my nails and skin and leads to more jagged cuticles. So I got this. The first few times I used it, it caused my nails to peel! I left it on way less than 5 minutes and normally consider my nails to be strong. The last few times I've used it, I didn't have that problem though.

I put some liquid into the cap and use a q-tip to dab it on my cuticles. I only leave it on 2-3 minutes. Then I take a cuticle pusher and kind of scrape away the excess cuticles.

I'm actually kind of terrifed to use this stuff. I have heard that you shouldn't get it anywhere near a cut, and I almost always have a cut somewhere (unfortunately I pick at my hands a lot). And I think the bottle is actually too big. I would have happily paid half the price for one-fourth the size. I don't think I could use all of this in a lifetime. I got it at Sally's for $6.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2013 8:42:00 AM More reviews by tekflower

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

This is the stuff we used in beauty school and I have never found anything better for removing cuticles, calluses, and dead skin with little to no irritation or drying.

The only complaint I've ever had is the squirt bottle it's in, which I think is difficult to control and terribly wasteful. This is easily remedied by decanting it to a small spray bottle or dropper bottle, or simply soaking a q-tip or cotton ball to apply it directly to where you need it.

Not only does this stuff work like gangbusters, it's inexpensive - huge 32 oz bottle on Amazon for under $10. That's almost like a lifetime supply for one person.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2013 3:41:00 PM More reviews by emily0212

Big bottle, cheap for how much you get. I'm not crazy about the fact that it is so watery and runny but I'll live. It is good for taking off cuticles but it also BLASTS off calluses on my heels. Paired with a Mr. Pumice bar, I'll never have to pay for a pedi again. Great buy!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2013 6:10:00 AM More reviews by bonniherself

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Long story short, I have horrible cuticles and I always have. Tearing, hangnails, sometimes bleeding, yuck. For the better part of a year I've been in quest of a product or combination of products that will work to remedy this. To that end, I've tried a number of things and reviewed several of them here. This product has made it into my permanent cuticle care routine, happily (along with Poshe AHA Cuticle Care, Lush Lemony Flutter, and Sally Hanson Salon Manicure Cuticle Eraser + Balm, in roughly that order).

I use this about once a week, on average (I usually do a treatment when I take off nail polish and have bare nails; that could be anywhere from three to ten days, so it averages out to around a week, I'm guessing). This is so easy to use, just apply it around the cuticles and very gently use an orangewood cuticle stick or a stone cuticle eraser to push back any stray bits of cuticle stuck to the nails (which happens very, very infrequently now for me, yay), rinse, wash hands, done. Easy peasy. I also use it under the tips of my nails to get rid of excess built-up skin. Sometimes, I leave the product on for a while if I've got any bits of cuticle that I feel are particularly tough or problematic, but since doing regular cuticle care, that's rarely a problem. (And can I just say how much I love to be able to say that after all these years of horrible, painful, yucky cuticles?)

I also use this on my toes, which have similar problems with dry, hard to manage cuticles and also with ingrowing toenails due to built-up, tough skin. It works well on the toes, and this is the only product I use on them, so I know that it's not all the other products that are making my fingers so much better; this product definitely works, and as part of a routine, it's fantastic.

Good product, great value and very cost effective, and I'm glad I tried it. For me, it's a keeper in my routine.

EDIT: Extra bonus! I read somewhere (probably on MUA, but I can't recall now) that this was good for removing hair dye stains from your skin, by using a little of this on a cotton pad. I tried it and, to my delight, it works perfectly.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2013 4:12:00 AM More reviews by AleksandraLesniak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is by far my favourite cuticle remover! Not only is the product absolutely fantastic, but the value is incredible! I pick this up at Sally Beauty Supply for about $6CDN, and although it would take me years to go through the bottle, I usually replace is annually. I've used this on myself, as well as family and friends, and it's worked like a charm on everyone. It melts away the toughest cuticle without irritation or pain. Super easy to use. I advice working on one hand at a time and transferring the liquid into a smaller bottle, either a polish one or something with a dropper. You can also just dip a brush or Q-Tip into the product if you don't plan on sharing it with anyone.