August 29, 2014 | 1943 users online

Skincare - Face - Avene - Thermal Water

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2014 4:08:00 PM More reviews by hippolyte93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

i cannot live without this...i have sun allergy and my face turns very red and irritated when i go out in the sun for sometime....so i use it to soothe the skin and get red of the itchy feeling...amazing product

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2014 12:42:00 AM More reviews by lucenaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

So. Let me tell you a story of why I buy a completely overpriced bottle of spray water and think it's worth it, and why this may or may not be the case for you. Sorry that it is a little long.

I live in the foot of the Rocky Mountains, and our water comes straight from glacier water that probably has thousands of years worth of dissolved minerals in it. Read: It's really hard water.

I never thought this was a problem, until I lived in Europe for a while. The first time, I was backpacking for six weeks and didn't bring my regular makeup or skincare supplies other than tinted moisturizer. I used 1-Euro face wash from the grocery store. Nonetheless, my skin cleared up. I attributed it to getting lucky with a bottle of cheap facewash (and maybe it still was?? Ha).

Anyway, the second time, I was living in Germany for four months and brought all my regular cleansing supplies with me. Face wash, makeup, routine, everything. My skin cleared up again. I started wondering if the water had something to do with it.

I came back and considered all the things that were different from here and Europe. I thought maybe I was just drying out my face from washing it too much - the air is way dryer here than it was where I lived. So I started just splashing my face with water in the mornings instead of just washing it. I did this for a while and it helped, but it still didn't have my "Europe skin" back.

Finally, after seeing all the reviews on here, and finding a little 50 ml bottle on sale, I decided to try it, because I still had a nagging feeling that the water was the final part of the equation.

At first, I spritzed this on after my normal evening wash, and lightly dabbed some of it off with cotton. In the mornings, instead of my regular face-splashing in the sink, spritzed my face again.

I don't know how or why this stuff works, but I was sold after a week and bought the full bottle. Especially in the mornings, my skin felt less dry (???) and more supple than just using tap water. I have no idea how to explain this. Now, it has been maybe 10 months now, and my Europe skin is back. I think this past spring my face was so clear that I didn't even have acne scars (my scars last weeks, sometimes months....).

Now, I've weaned off tap water on my face altogether, other than some inevitable splashes in the shower. I take off my makeup with micellar cleanser and spritz my face with this afterward. My face feels so much better, and is clear, supple, and happy :)

Of course, will not be the case for everyone. Maybe you are lucky enough to live in a place with perfectly soft water. It really depends.

One other thing. Probably 95% of the "soothing" properties of this comes from the bottle, not the water itself. There, I said it. If you're getting this for soothing properties, I'm not entirely convinced this is better than regular water (unless your water is disgusting). Regular water just doesn't have the luxury of an aerosol mist like this one.

Of course, it IS soothing and feels great on your face on a hot day, but if you can find another bottle of fine-mist aerosol water for cheaper it would probably be just as good.

Actually, maybe I will do that and try another brand of water - but for now this works wonderfully :). I will update on how this goes.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/2/2014 10:27:00 PM More reviews by ninable

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have extremely dry skin and my makeup often looks a bit cakey and settles into the lines by the end of the day. After reading all the great reviews I have to say, this is great for freshening up, but for me after the water dries on my face, I feel really dry, like as if I've come out of the shower after washing my face and get a bit of that tight feeling. Although it is the only face mist that I have tried so far that doesn't make my face red and react, I won't be purchasing again because it doesn't leave my very dry skin feel hydrated, just refreshed for about 20 seconds and then the dry tight feeling. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2014 6:10:00 PM More reviews by ediepuig

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this stuff!

Since my teens, in the 80s, I had rolled my eyes, thinking, "Oh, please! What a scam," whenever I saw (or read a positive review about) any canned facial water. I thought, "seriously- how gullible (or completely bored) are people to actually buy, lug around, & use that stuff?! It's just water! If you want good skin, you DRINK water. You DON'T spray it on your face throughout the day. That's just going to ruin your makeup & dilute your skincare products, & will dehydrate your skin when it evaporates. Gheez!"

Fast forward to a year or so ago... My once-gorgeous complexion (skin care had always been my top beauty priority) was a wreck. I was stressed-out by financial & family woes. And was 2 years into surgically-induced menopause. (Sleep deprived & hormonal with a capital H).

The pores on & around my nose were BIG & very visibly clogged. (Thanks to good genes & a commitment to skincare, they had always been small & unnoticeable). I was constantly battling acne on my nose, cheeks, & chin. (I didn't even have acne in my teens)! My cheeks were inflamed with rosacea. My skin felt extremely tight & dry. My Dermalogica cleansers, exfoliators & masks + Creme de La Mer face & eye creams were no longer serving me.

I could no longer afford facials, derm's office visits, or to try new costly skincare products. I hated the way my skin looked. It was depressing & embarrassing. And I didn't know what to do.

One day I stumbled across Garance Dore's blog & read an article in which she shared her skincare regime.

(In case you're not familiar with GD- She's an renowned fashion illustrator who is about as in-the-know, fashion & beauty wise, as it gets. She has access to all of the top beauty pros, including the most sought-after dermatologists in Paris).

At the advice of her super-duper, impossible-to-get-an-apointment with, Parisian dermatologist-to-supermodels, Garance NEVER uses tap water on her face. She uses Avene's thermal spring water, a gentle cleanser from Bioderma (for allover, even eye-makeup removal), & a rich, fragrance-free moisturizer from Ducray (for both her eyes & face). That's it. 3 products. She claimed this transformed her 40-something skin from confused to lovely.

I tried it.
And it worked!
(Though I do also exfoliate my T-zone every other day with a quick paste of milk & baking soda. And, of course, apply sunscreen every morning).

My skin is happy, clear, & supple again! (And has been for over a year)!

The cleanser & moisturizer I can play with a bit, but if I use tap water on my face now I can REALLY feel a difference.

The Avene thermal spring water doesn't just "rinse" cleanser & dirt away. It's so much more than just "not" tap water. It actively moisturizes & calms my skin! Like gentle dew drops from Heaven!!!

It's an essential part of my twice-daily skincare routine. (And a spritz during the day helps moisturize & relieve my skin if it becomes irritated by a harsh environmental factor like indoor heating).

If you're struggling with your skin (& self-image as a result, like I was) PLEASE give this a try.

If anything, it can't hurt. And since it eliminates tap water from your skincare routine, it is a real time & energy saver. At night, I use a non-rinse cleanser on a cotton pad or two to gently swipe my skin clear of dirt, makeup, & sunblock. Then I spray my Avene water on a cotton pad & go over my face with it, usually using a separate pad for my eyes. Then, once my skin is mostly dry (takes maybe 30 seconds to reach that point) I moisturize. I can do this in bed! This makes it easy to take care of my skin, no matter how tired I may be. And it's such a soothing, pleasant ritual.

P.S. As I have to order Avene online, when I ran out a few days ago I decided to just pick up a bottle of Vichy's thermal spring water at my neighborhood Ulta. Though better than tap water, the Vichy doesn't work as well as the Avene for me. I find the Vichy a bit harsh & salty).

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2014 5:40:00 AM More reviews by arinaN

This product is amazing for acne prone skin like mine. Haven't had a breakout in ages! Wouldn't say that it's a miracle worker but it definitely toned down the redness and breakouts. Not everyone would find this product helpful, though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2014 1:13:00 PM More reviews by agl112

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Thermal water is a product that while many scoff at, I would never be without. I have dry, sensitive skin prone to redness and dehydration. Avene in particular is very soothing and by spritzing it on after I apply a serum product to a freshly cleansed face, it makes my serum penetrate faster and I get a better experience of that product. I immediately apply my moisturizer after spritzing my face with Avene and my moisturizer absorbs faster and works better and much longer at keeping my skin moisturized. If I don't apply the Avene, my products just sit on my skin and do nothing. The Avene works in locking in the moisture. This thermal water has a permanent place on my vanity and is very much a staple item for me. I won't be without it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2014 7:28:00 AM More reviews by strobegirl1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

wow, I just love this. It is a lifesaver.
My only complaints are that all the bottles should be larger and that it should be cheaper since it is mostly naturally occurring water

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2014 10:31:00 PM More reviews by tadukhipa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

Looooooooooooove it.
I love the feel of this on my skin. And I love how it helps uncake cakey makeup.
Also it has 3 different sizes in Korea (50, 150, 300 ml) so it's easy to carry around and also great to have at home.
I got this as a gift and I would have to say it's my HG when it comes to mists.
The only thing I don't love about it is the aerosol. I'm trying to be a bit more green but this won't let me ^^;;

rated 4 of 5 on 6/25/2014 6:19:00 PM More reviews by CompassionIsSexy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Nice product, minus one star for the price tag. The disposable canister is what makes it great. You can't use just any spray bottle to get the same effect. It has a gentle, fine mist that doesn't mess up makeup. I carry it in my bag and use it several times a day. It feels good and keeps my skin hydrated.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2014 9:41:00 AM More reviews by Mayl1ng

This is an amazing product!
Yes, I know, it's just water. But it's amazing!
It's amazingly refreshing to spritz on after going to the gym or during a long day. But it's also useful for other things too: making an expensive moisturiser got that bit further, and settling horrible skin demons.
I don't have severe acne but every so often my face will just rebel and I can't put make up anywhere near it because it'll just flare up with bumps and redness. One day though, I sprayed the water all over my face and my redness/bumps went down within five minutes and I was able to put on my foundation without any difficulty.
Without noticing, I've been using the spray for about three years now and it has not failed to deliver.
I would definitely recommend this to set makeup, freshen up during the day, or even during a before makeup skin crisis.
The main downside for me is the cost - yes, it is water and you're paying a bit for it, but it works!