Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Fdt.

3.9

Water (Aqua, Eau), Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trimethyl Pentaphenyl Trisiloxane, Silica, Phenyl Trimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Tribehenin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Methicone, Tetramethyl Hexaphenyl Tetrasiloxane, Phenyl Methicone, Dimethicone, Laureth-7, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cellulose Gum, Propylene Carbonate, Alumina, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone Silylate, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), ILN37941

I have been a MUFE HD girl for a while now. It is one of the only products I have used up and rebought multiple times. Sometimes, though, you just need a little change, and a little sephora splurge.

I was at sephora on payday last week, and looking in the little mirrors, saw that the foundation, powder, blush, and highlighter I'd applied in the morning had turned into a horrible flakey, color separated disaster on my face. The foundation had worn off in patches around my nose, the color looked too light, and my too-pink skin was showing through. Perhaps sephora has magic lighting and mirrors just to show you how terrible you look, so that you feel you must buy something new!

So, I tried the laura mercier silk whatever foundation on one cheek, and the smashbox studio skin on the other. In the kooky sephora mirror, the LM side looked terrible. I could see the foundation sitting on my skin, and the area looked flakey and dry.

The smashbox side looked beautiful! The description in the store said it was moisturizing, and there was nary a flake to be seen. I was happy with it, so I took some home. I got the lightest color, I think it's 1.1. For reference, I am a MAC NC20, and MUFEHD 115. The SB looked a little warmer than I usually wear, and a bit darker in the bottle, but once blended on my skin, it neutralized redness (rosacea) and looked seamless.

At home, I've been applying this with the sephora collection visionary foundation brush, and the finish is beautiful. I wear primer sometimes, but find that the wear lasts all day, even in the creases of my nose and around my eyes even without it. I have noticed no flakiness or exacerbation of dry sensitive skin with this foundation, even though I have heard it marketed for people with oily to combo skin.

on 3/16/2015 7:53:00 PM

This is my HG foundation! I have pretty bad scaring from acne, but this has build-able coverage so I am able to cover my scars without having that caked on look. I get complimented on my skin all the time, my friends can't believe I am wearing foundation.

PROS:
-This lasts ALL day. I have the Smashbox primer, but even if I don't use the primer this stuff is like glue. It will not BUDGE. You won't get oily throughout the daily, it wont fade, it wont oxidize, NOTHING! When I use it with the primer, I have flawless skin from 8 am through till 1 am/2am the following day. It's unbelievable. They are not joking when they say 15 hour wear.
-Very natural looking, I have olive skin and its so hard to find foundation that isn't too pink or too tan. While this looks incredibly dark and orange in the bottle. It matches my face and undertones so well. I definitely recommend it for darker skinned girls!
-Doesn't stick to dry patches, but it also doesn't make you completely oily. It just gives you this perfect "better than skin" glow.
-I have incredibly sensitive skin, and this didn't make me break out at all
-It has an amazing pump on the bottle, you can do a full pump, or "half" a pump. So there is no waste.
-It applies beautifully with a brush AND the beauty blender.
-Absolutely ZERO transfer. This will not transfer onto collars or jackets, pillows etc. Obviously be careful with whites.
-It photographs BEAUTIFULLY. You look photoshopped.
-Very buildable, you can use a small amount for a "no makeup" look, or pack it on without looking cakey.
-Doesn't feel "heavy or sticky" on the face. Obviously no one like a sticky or heavy face. But this foundation literally feels "weightless".

CONS:
-Expensive...for 30 ml its almost $50 in Canada. Since I have scarring and need to use 2 pumps every day, it starts to add up. I can usually make a bottle last 4-5 months using it about 5 days a week. I've tried to find more "budget-friendly" products. But nothing has been comparable yet.
-The shade selection isn't extensive. I think they only have 10 shades, but if you can find one that matches well, BUY IT!
-It sets quickly, I'm not sure this is much of a con. But you do need to blend it right away. But come on, who applies foundation and doesn't blend it right away?

I seriously suggest that everyone go out and try this, or at least if they have a shade that matches. I've tried all sorts of foundation from Laura Mercier, Clinique, Revlon, Urban Decay, Loreal etc. and nothing compares to Smashbox.

on 3/14/2015 10:25:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Nice foundation, I usually use Clinique even better- this is actually very similar, I did half my face in each and there was no perceptible difference, except the smashbox didn't seem to cling to dry skin as much as the Clinique but that could be because it's a bit drier due to having it longer. The smashbox is also a tiny bit more matte.

Havn't really noticed any massive improvement in longevity which is a shame, also it's medium coverage at best so you need a separate concealer for dark circles/ spots, but that said the colour blend is good and it applies well, doesn't look thick at all.

I would buy again, unless I found something better! Glass bottle will be a pain when it's nearly empty, but there a screw off lid so all is not lost at least.

*TIP after applying a full face with a foundation brush try patting a little extra in with your fingers on dark areas/ spots if you don't have concealer- let a drop sit out for a while to thicken first if need be, works in a pinch.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I HAD to have this! BUT... I needed a new foundation. Long story short...could not match my olive/yellow undertone skin even though this runs yellow!!...maybe orange. Purchased (and returned) all shades in 2's. None worked :( GOOD news for those who CAN find a match- stays on allllllll day! Almost no transfer! I am so sad :( 4 lippies bc great product...-1 bc not my shade.

Stay power is AWESOME on the SB! I wish!

I wear Mac studio NC 30 to NC 35 FYI for shade reference. Seems my winter shade is NC30 currently in Studio Fix.

Pics of swatches::

First foundation (top) is Mac NC30 (perfect for me)

middle: Philosophy Miracle #6 (tad light?)

bottom: smash box 2.3 studio (see orange)
:) Ignore my way pale underarm. I know the shades look oddly dark. Middle Philosophy is near perfect for my winter face. Tad light. MAC NC30. Perfect winter shade.

SMASHBOX 2.3 darkens as it sits during the day and dries. (all have been on arm for 6 hours now in this pic). 2.2 Smashbox gives me a ghost face- for sure...2.3 is a bit light when first applied, then darkens orange as day goes on (for me). 2.4 SB was too dark orange from the get-go.

Full Size Image

Below is a pic JUST after applying the swatches (20 mins). Added is swatch on far right. Smashbox 2.2 which was too light for me. Had it on to compare to SB 2.3. Keep on mind my face is not as light as underarm....and it is applied pretty thick on swatch.
Smashbox runs orange even for my half Italian skin. Mac (top) was still wet in this pic. Keep on mind camera/lighting/etc.

Full Size Image

Update: Went to Sephora. They used the Color IQ on my face. Said match was Studio Smashbox 2.4 (one shade darker?). Applied by staff to my face. So nice...but way too dark and orange (darker than one on my arm in the pic). @sigh@ Smashbox it won't be for me at least for mu winter color. Maybe with a tan :(

on 2/21/2015 3:36:00 PM

This is my all time favorite foundation - hands down. I've never found something that works as well as this one. Not only does it last all day, it has nice sheer coverage but can be built up more so if needed. I have fairly problem prone / oily skin and this doesn't make me break out in the slightest. I wish there was a little bit more product for the price it's at, but regardless I'll continue to purchase this time after time!

on 2/13/2015 3:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Love! Love! Love this foundation! It has a matte finish and does not leave dry patches on my skin. It has a medium coverage that can be built up. So easy to apply and does a great job at leaving my skin so perfect! I would recommend people to try this foundation! I am running out of mine and will be repurchasing! :)

on 2/7/2015 4:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

I have two shades in this foundation, 4.1 and 4.2, I get far warmer in the Summer months so getting a different shade was a must. Now on to the nitty gritty - I was actually pleasantly surprised by the coverage and finish, considering it was quite watery in consistency it did give me a nice medium coverage without looking cakey at all. I have dry combination skin, with my nose being the most oily - I always find it hard to find a foundation to last more than four hours around my oily zones so blotting was a must. Whilst the rest of my face would last a good 10+ hours on me. I love the fact that the 4.1 shade hasn't got a crazy orange undertone though... I can't imagine the amount of times I've had to return foundations because they had me looking like an Oompa Loompa. Overall, this is currently my fave foundation giving me flawless, immaculate and matte coverage without the cakiness and also features a pump dispenser ^_^

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Overall I think 4 stars is being a little generous, but all in all I quite like this foundation. I got so sick of trying to find a foundation that suited my skin tone, and the extremely dry and oily patches I have - however this foundation was recommended by a lot of beauty bloggers for the fair skinned so I thought I'd give it a go. When it arrived I noticed it still looked a little too dark for me which it is, but not too awful so I can forgive that (a little warmth to the face never hurt anyone 💁). I've been wearing this foundation for a few weeks now, and I do *like* it, but I don't think I'll buy another when it runs out. The reasons being, I really don't like the way it sits on my dry patches and under my eyes as it kind of emphasises the dryness and looks a little cake - y (which isn't ideal). Also, the 15 hour staying power it promises is a bit ambitious as when I get back from school I look quite blotchy and red and gross. However, the coverage when I put it on is pretty good, the consistency of the product feels good against the skin and it didn't break out my really sensitive skin which is frankly a miracle at this point. When I've just put my makeup on it's like a 5 star product, but I'd say after 2 hours it drys, cracks and looks dull - but not too badly that I feel I can't wear it and I have had some compliments on it recently.

Love this foundation. I rarely wear foundation (only to special events usually), but this is a keeper. I have had the same bottle for years now and the product seems to be just like the day I bought it. I have shade 1.1 for my fair skin with blue undertones and it matches perfectly. Its the perfect amount of beige to pink ratio and evens out my skin nicely without feeling heavy or caked on. It also seems to stay on for a long time. Would definitely repurchase this product.

on 1/12/2015 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Reference: MAC NC45/NC50
Product Shade: 4.1

This was my first foundation from Smashbox, I got it at a discount website on sale so I said, 'What the heck, why not?'.

Honestly, I'm disappointed that I didn't buy more. This is the PERFECT shade match for me. The darkest shade is 4.2 so the colour range for WoC isn't that great but I am forunate enough to fit into the range. It is long wearing and has a natural finish. If I am going somewhere for a long period of time, this is the foundation I would wear.

I'm nearly finish the bottle and I do believe that I will be re-purchasing to fill my "long wear" category.