Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies Flared

3.2

on 7/27/2015 12:32:00 AM

This is sooo close to being a HG for me, and I might edit this later if my opinion changes because I'm on the fence about my rating.

I have kind of sparse, downward pointing, average length lashes that refuse to hold a curl most of the time. It doesn't matter if I use waterproof and a lash curler. For some reason, only certain formulas seem to work to get my lashes to curl, with or without being waterproof and using a lash curler.

This mascara does curl my lashes, for the most part, and it adds a bit of length and volume. Mostly, I like it. But, sometimes only one eye will still look curled after a while and this stuff flakes like crazy on my eyes sometimes.

My issues with it don't happen every time I use it, though. Overall, I like this mascara, I have recommended it, and I would probably buy it again if I needed mascara desperately and didn't want to try something new.

I've gotten compliments on my lashes while wearing this, which is rare for me. But the flaking drives me mad when it happens.

Basically...

Pros:
Curls my lashes on its own
Usually holds the curl throughout the day
Adds volume
Adds a little length (not falsies length, though)
Doesn't make my lashes feel crunchy
Layers well (I've gotten 3 coats to work out if I worked quickly and combed my lashes a little)
Isn't too expensive
Lightweight formula

Cons:
Flakes sometimes
Doesn't always hold a good curl
Sometimes I get little clumps at the tips
Sometimes it sticks my lashes together weirdly

This stuff is wonderful! Makes my lashes fluttery and makes my eyes look bigger I love it. I have repurchased twice and never regretted it.

on 7/24/2015 6:57:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This works as a great mascara, but there is no 'flare' effect. It's a great one to define lashes, volumise them, and make them noticeable. No clumping. Consistency and texture towards the drier side. Wand is fibre bristles, and curved shape makes application easier.

on 6/29/2015 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have always been a fan of Maybelline mascaras, especially the "volum' express" line, so I thought I'd give this a try. It wasn't pricey at all as I got it at Walmart for $4.96 CDN, so I ended up buying it as well as other mascaras from the same line (because why not?).
So since I am a huge fan of the original Maybelline The Falsies, as I said before, I would try this.
The packaging is around the same as the regular Falsies mascara tube, that same purple colour and shape. Only this has silver accents on the tube and pictures of wings, symbolizing that your lashes will apparently look like fluttery, wing-like masterpieces.
Anyway, the wand has roughly the same style as the regular Falsies mascara, the same spikey, bristles on a curved brush. Except, instead of being a convex AND concave side, there's only a convex side, and the other side is just flat. Like a flat topped spoon, pretty much.
So when it was time to apply mascara after doing my regular makeup routine, I was a bit hesitant. Not only was this different to what I regularly use (the Falsies or The Rocket), but the one I got wasn't waterproof. I normally use waterproof, but since I heard that it ruins your lashes, I stopped. So I had high hopes for this mascara to hold a curl on my normally straight, flat, and downward growing lashes. By the time I started sweeping this on, I have to say, it did a pretty decent job at holding a curl for a non-waterproof version. I was impressed by it. Also, it did an okay job at separating my sparse, thin lashes. That's where the good part ends. With a heavy heart, I say that's probably the best it did on me.
I was expecting so much more. It absolutely did not thicken or add any volume to my lashes and it made them feel crunchy, like I had a bunch of dry grass as my eyelashes. Also, the ends/tips of my lashes were not fluttery, and ended up looking like spider legs with clumpy messes on the ends. No matter how much I brushed through and combed the wand through to try and rid of the clumps, MORE would appear!
So, the pros are that it held the curl and added separation, but he cons are that it clumped up and added no volume.
Overall, I don't think I'll ever buy this again, but I'm glad people out there still like it because Maybelline would not keep selling it otherwise. This product is just not for me.

on 6/27/2015 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I HATE this mascara. It made my lashes clumpy and it looked awfully flaky. Do not buy this product. I like the big brush but overall I hate this product. It doesn't coat your lashes very well at all and it makes your lashes sticky and ugly. I wouldn't recommend at all.

P.S. If you are deciding between the normal falsies and the falsies flared, you might as well get the normal falsies mascara, that one is way better than this crap.

on 6/9/2015 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Ok so maybe it doesn't give the false eye affect and maybe it can be flakey ,On some days, and a little dry but it is very good for lengthening, is not wet, and is (a little) voluminous but I'm going to be honest and say that I hate it more than I like it. So 60% hate 40% like but only because it is called falsies (and it really isn't false lash affect) and because when I first opened it it was the perfect mascara and did look like false lashes but the day after was completely flakey .

on 5/18/2015 1:04:00 PM

This stuff clumps my eyelashes so bad! I used a couple of times and returned it. I hate the wand it's too flexible and the brush is too large and awkward. This was just a fail as most maybelline mascara a are for me.

on 5/10/2015 2:57:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This product started out good and now I really dislike it. The mascara really irritated my eyes. Although it does give some significance in making your lashes have volume and length, I feel for me it wasn't worth it as I picked it all off by the end of the day.
I would have to put on a few layers for it to do something.

It was sooo clumpy and so flakey and gave my lashes that kind of spider-legish look.
Not good! Wouldn't purchase this maybelline product again.

I would highly recommend using the Eye of Horus mascara, as a more natural but still lengthening and volumizing mascara to use.

on 4/9/2015 9:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

One of my favourite mascaras ever! It really does give good length and volume. I'm not a fan of wearing false lashes so I bought this as the alternative and I got a nice, fluttery effect. It really did open up my eyes. The formula is also good (not too wet or dry), it didn't flake nor did it clump. A winner all-round, really. Will definitely be repurchasing!

on 4/1/2015 7:24:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I purchased this product for the first time about four or five years ago and I thought it was amazing. It left no clumps and lasted a long time! I lost the mascara and a recently I had bought myself a new one. Unfortunately, the product was not like it was when I bought it the first time. It was really clumpy and just overall horrible! I would not recommend this product at all!