Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

4.3

Synthetic Taklon

I've had this set since 2012. The brushes have held up well & are good quality w/ no shedding. I love the travel case, it's really nice for drying brushes after you wash them. I did end up swapping out the fine liner brush for the pixel point (?) liner early on, but I think they've done away w/ the two liner styles & just adopted the pixel point as the fine liner style. At least I hope so, anyway. I also don't ever touch the brow brush, it's way too large for my brows. The case & other 3 brushes were still well worth the price of admission. I kept thinking for the last two years that I'd like to have a second set on hand, so I finally got another one ordered when IHerb generously credited my account w/$7.68 during the launch of their Loyalty Credit program. Overall, the Deluxe Crease, Base Shadow, Accent brush, & case are an excellent value. The brushes are good quality & I repurchased not out of necessity, but because I wanted a set to alternate when I'm lazy about washing or doing a friend's makeup. To get $5 off your 1st order, plus 5% off & free shipping to the US w/purchases of $20 or more follow this link: http://www.iherb.com/real-techniques-by-samantha-chapman#p=1?rcode=reb607

I purchased these brushes in the January sales in superdrug for £13.99 which I think is a good deal considering they are usually £20.99. I was looking at getting these brushes for a while but wasn't to sure because of the price but now that i have tried them i would definitely have paid £20.99 for them.The brush set comes with 5 brushes and a travel case/stand. The case is really good to store your brushes in to keep them protected whilst travelling but i don't really use as a case i just keep them in a brush pot.The first brush in the set is the base shadow brush.I like to use this brush for base shadow as the name would suggest this brush is really soft and slightly domed so it is easier for application.The next brush in the set is the deluxe crease brush. I like to use this brush to buff in eyeshadow or blend out eyeshadow. It is a domed shape which i think makes it easier to buff in eyeshadow and the bristles are very soft.The next brush is the brow brush. I use this brush for filling in my brows it is an angled flat brush, the bristles are dense but soft because this brush is angled it makes it easier to fill in your brows.The next brush is the accent brush.
I use this brush for applying darker eyeshadows to the outer v and crease this brush is very small and dense the bristles are also very soft.The last brush and probably the most disappointing brush in the set is the fine liner brush. For me this brush does not really have a use i have tried to use this brush for liner but found it does not work very well because the bristles are not dense enough maybe i will find i use for this brush but for now it is my least favourite of all the brushes. I would definitely recommend these brushes to any one because they have pretty much all the basic brushes you need for creating good eyeshadow looks

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

the only two brushes I use from this set is the crease and brow brush, the others honestly don't know how to use it. they are stiff and thin for a accent and/or for blending.

I would very much like to purchase another crease brush for my traveling bag, just realised that this cannot be purchase alone, so if I want this one I would have to purchase the whole set again.

My complaint is what is with this kind of marketing, so customers was made to pay for something they have no use of, it is also not environmentally friendly to have to keep throwing away products.

I won't be buying this product again simply for the cost that I can only use 2 products out of 5.

For what it's worth, the brushes are okay. I wouldn't say that they're good, since they're too big and too clumsy for my personal usage.
I wouldn't repurchase them, and when I get different brushes, I'll be giving these away.

Not the best of the real techniques brushes, but nonetheless very good. The crease brush is huge and can only be used as a crease brush if you have ginormous eyes. I use it to lay down my base colour and then use the smaller brush to do blending in my eye crease. The detailing brush is perfect for 'corners' and for sweeping colour below the lower lash line. I haven't had cause to use the liner brush or the angled brush yet, as I have old established favourites already that I just can't bear to part with. All in all, I'm happy with this set and I just bought one for my daughter!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this little set at Kohl's and have utilized them all for different purposes. I find them a great deal for the price. I do not find them scratchy either. I suppose that is a relative thing. They are definitely not Hakuhodo or Suqqu quality but they are decent brushes. Especially I like the larger Shadow brush for laying down all over base shadow. The larger Crease brush I use as a buffing brush for my concealer. The Liner brush I use when I don't necessarily need a fine line for my lid or under eye. The Accent brush is great for getting in small places like the inside corners, to highlight under brows and at times on the lid. The angled brush is useful for making finer lines and I also use it for my brows when my Sephora angled brow brush is drying. I would say I would recommend these for those who are starting a brush collection or for those on a budget. They have been very durable. I have not had any shedding from them yet and I have had my set for over two years. I use them daily. My Hakuhodos and Sephora Pros are my new babies but these Eye brushes have their purposes as well.

The brushes feel quite scratchy on my eye. I noticed this both new out of the package and after washing. My other complaint about the brushes is I find them to be not all that practical in terms of design, save for the socket brush. The shader brush head is quite large and bulky. The liner brush works okay if I am using an eyeshadow or powder liner but despite being synthetic, I have not had success using it with cream or gel formulas as it can be a bit hard to control and seemingly not firm enough. The dome brush head is quite tiny so I make use of it by applying color meant to be used in small amounts and it can also be used to smudge out liner. The brush set is not expensive and there could certainly be worse things about it but overall, it really added nothing in terms of usefulness to my collection and the scratchiness is a turn off.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have this brush set for more than two years now. I am happy with it. They deliver great results every single time. I get the most use out of base shadow (use it in crease for blending out shadow), deluxe crease (use it for blending out harsh lines in eye makeup and sometimes also as a concealer brush for under the eyes) and eye brow brush (for lining the eye). I use the accent brush sometimes to pack shadow below the waterline. They wash and dry very well, and I have not experienced any shedding. I have used these brushes with powder eye shadows and cream eye shadows as well and they perform well with both textures. I recommend this set.

Extremely usable brushes,I just love these! Here is couple of brushes that can't be found anywhere else.These will propably always be in my beauty kit/routine.Do not shed a bit,very good quality.The domed shadow brush is amazing that comes with these.And also the base shadow brush.Would purchase again :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

If you're a beginner you will probably have a hard time with this set. I needed some extra brushes for my eye makeup in my collection and Real Techniques never let me down. I own EVERY.SINGLE.BRUSH from their collection and they are cruelty free. This set, however, failed to impress me.

Base Shadow Brush: It's fair to say that I love this brush a little too much! I use it every single day. It applies matte shadows so well and dare I say it, the color payoff is better with this brush. If you have used matte eye shadows before you know that they are usually hard to blend. But this brush makes the blending process seamless. It's the perfect size, you apply the eye shadow and blend the crease at the same time. It actually makes the eye makeup look more professional and airbrushed. If they sold it separately I would definitely buy it.

Deluxe Crease Brush: A lot of people complain that this is not the correct size. But this is a multi-tasker. You can use it to blend your shadow, apply and blend concealer, contouring. Yes contouring, this brush is perfect to get into the hollows of your cheeks and chisel them although you will be needing another brush to blend the contour so it doesn't look harsh. But this really made my contouring easier. But I mainly use it to apply and blend my transition and crease color. I really like building up my product and then blending it with this brush. Again I would TOTALLY buy it if they sold it separately.

Accent Brush: Can be used as a lip brush, can be used for precise detailing, highlighting and smudging. This is a pretty good brush. I use it to apply highlight on my inner corners and to smudge my lower lash line.

Fine Liner Brush: I bought it separately years before I got this set. I do not like this brush. It's way too stiff and thick for a liner brush and it makes my wing look messy and weird. This is definitely not FINE. I don't even touch the one I got with the set.

Brow Brush: This brush was the only reason why I even considered getting this set and I think it's safe to say that this brush disappointed me the most. It's too soft and thick. You cannot fill in your eye brows properly with this brush. You cannot draw separate hair, you cannot fill in tiny gaps. Heck, you cannot use it as an eyeliner brush. Utterly disappointed with this brush.

This set cost me about $23.99. Other than the base shadow brush and the deluxe crease brush I really don't find this set useful.
If they sell base shadow brush and the deluxe brush separately I will buy it. But I will not repurchase again.

Popular Makeup Brushes