April 21, 2014 | 908 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Dior Addict EDP

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2014 9:09:00 PM More reviews by clarissa90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am in the minority here, but this fragrance was horrid on me. And I don't say that about alot of fragrances. Probably three ever, including this one. Not only did it smell bad, it gave me an immense headache which caused me to rush home to put myself out of misery. Sorry Mr. Dior, looks like I will not be purchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2014 7:44:00 PM More reviews by Krissy0913

I used to wear this when it first launched. Recently after not wearing it for years I sprayed myself while shopping and received a compliment right away!! I bought it and receive at least one compliment a day!!! It is a gorgeous scent!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2014 4:47:00 PM More reviews by jennamarie11

One of my fave perfumes. Beautiful smell and so.classy. Lasts all.day.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2013 1:57:00 AM More reviews by Prncs06

Warm sweetness of vanilla with an undeniable overlay of tangy spice. Love. Settles on me very quickly (unlike hypnotic poison, another fav, which settles/changes quite slowly), lasts, and remains enjoyable all day. For me the intensity of this scent is tasteful and not overwhelming, but because of the spicy tones, I typically reserve this scent for night or for my own sniffing enjoyment when lounging around the house on the weekends. Addict makes me feel sophisticated and sexy and I absolutely love wearing it. Only downside is hubby doesn't particularly care for it, which is unfortunate because I can inhale it all day long.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/19/2013 4:03:00 PM More reviews by Pambryant

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This smells like pepper to me. Like I opened a container of pepper and took a big whiff.

I don't like it. The pepper smell is overwhelming to me.

It contains Tonka bean, which is what I believe makes it smell like pepper. Or it might be the sandalwood.?

I don't like balsamic or aromatic perfumes.

from Fragrantica: The top notes are mandarin leaves and mulberry flowers; Night Queen Flower, Bulgarian rose and orange flower are in the heart; the base is created with Bourbon vanilla, sandal wood and Tonka bean.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2013 4:41:00 PM More reviews by FlameDancer

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The new reformulated (as of 2011) EDP version of Dior Addict is exactly what I used to wish Addict was since its original launch in 2002. This is the rich, bold vanilla fragrance for women who have no interest in smelling like cookies or any kind of dessert.

While the original fragrance had a thin and piercing, watery floral accord and left an annoyingly fruity sillage in its wake, it also had a rich, dry vanilla and slightly smokey woody base that I loved. The newer formulation highlights that base. It still has a floral aspect with a strange raw silk, basil, and powdery heliotrope, minus the bitter, lotus-like aquatic floral that used to give me a headache. In fact I think of Addict as a sort of modernistic and more casual answer to Shalimar and the traditional Guerlainade base.

Beautiful choice for cool weather. While Dior Addict is nowhere near as provocative as the advertizing would have you think, it's a rich and comforting fragrance and the least gourmand vanilla in mainstream fragrance. The newer bottles have a gold band at the top. While it's pricy, Sephora caries a tiny 0.67oz bottle for $45 that's likely to last years -- a couple of spritzes last for weeks on fabric, and a full day on skin.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2013 3:05:00 PM More reviews by sillage

Dior Addict was one of my top faves when it first came out in 2002. It was everything I love in a perfume (ie, a complex sultry/sexy oriental, containing wood & vanilla) -- it was right up my alley -- and I rapidly went through 1/2 of my 3.4oz bottle. And then I stopped wearing it, moving on to other newer things.

Same thing happened with my Dior Hypnotic Poison & Gucci Rush & Givenchy Organza Indecence & Must de Cartier Classic & Burberry Classic & Chanel Allure EDP. I loved all 7 at the same time back then. They're all sort of the same type -- deep delicious orientals containing vanilla -- but I pretty much stopped wearing all 7, after draining half bottles of each in the mid-2000's. I still have them all and plan to pick up where I left off. They were all great then, and they're still great now -- in fact, a lot greater than most of the new "sweet/fruity/pink/fresh/celeb" stuff being launched, to my nose.

So now, I'm circling back to Addict (and those other great oriental/vanillas I mentioned too!). Still there in my closet, and still beautiful. Rich oriental, with a vanilla base -- that's my kind of perfume!

Here are the notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes: Blackberry, Mandarin leaf
Heart Notes: Jasmine, Queen of the night blossom, Orange blossom, Rose
Base Notes: Bourbon vanilla, Sandalwood, Tonka bean

After I had been wearing Addict for awhile (10 years ago), I brought my younger sister a bag of samples one day, and she was spraying a few of them -- and then she got to one that just wowed me -- and I said, "Ohhh, that one smells GREAT -- what is that??" (I was melting & swooning.) And she said "Dior Addict".

Well, I didn't recognize that sample spritz & didn't realize Addict smelled THAT good. My sister even offered to give me the sample back, so I could carry it in my purse, but I told her to go ahead and keep it. Sometimes, for me, it takes smelling a perfume on someone else -- or from a few feet away -- to really appreciate how good it is.

Now that it's Fall & the holidays are right around the corner, Addict is perfect. I'm going to pull out my half-used 3.4oz bottle and resume my love affair with Addict. Still gorgeous after all these years!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2013 1:10:00 PM More reviews by TheLipstickSnob

I'm definitely an ADDICT!! This fragrance has become my HG for Fall/Winter. I don't just wear at night, either. I wear this in the daytime too, even at work. So often through the day I am approached by co-workers wanting to know what this mysterious scent was. I was browsing Sephora's fragrance section looking for an anniversary gift for hubster and I came across this ( well actually a very helpful SA, suggested this to me) I had been there searching for the perfect fall/winter scent for myself for at least an hour. I had smelled most of the fragrances they had in the woody, vanilla, musky, spicy variety. my nose was in agony and I was getting frustrated. Once I smelled Christian Dior's Addict....I was in heaven. The inital whiff painted this serene picture of a snow covered cabin in the mountains, sitting by the fire wrapped in scarves and blankets, sipping hot cocoa. This scent morphs several times throughout the day. by the end of the night, I'm left with a faint aroma of warm vanilla. (My hubster picked up my hints and bought this for me) He loves it as well, i catch him walking past me stopping briefly to inhale my hair, or neck...you get the point. lol This is definitely one of those that you either love or hate.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2013 11:14:00 AM More reviews by Sjess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This used to be my go-to perfume, like 10 years ago. I was in my early twenties, I had my hair dyed dark, wore a lot of tighr black clothes and I only ever wore strong, warm and heavy fragrances like this one (Michael Kors Classic was also a big favorite). If you are into warm & strong, and want to be noticed by what you're wearing perfume-wise, this is it. I've grown up now (no more dark hair, and I've added some colour to my wardrobe ;) ) and this just doesn't suit me anymore. I'm more into warm florals and also *shock, horror* light & fresh fragrances. So, no... I'm no longer an addict...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2013 8:04:00 AM More reviews by Kentauride

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Update 02/15/14:

I still haven't purchased that full bottle yet, but I have almost used up all of that sample! I realize I never really described it. On me it is an interesting, non-foody but boozy vanilla. Like a really high quality vanilla extract with a hit of brandy and that gauzy light green scent of the mandarin leaf floating over. It's one of the longest lasting top notes I have smelled and I really enjoy it. The vanilla dry down is sexy and warm but not cloying. Lasts a long time. I have no doubt I'll buy a FB as soon as that sample is finally used up.

Original review:

I've been looking for a new fragrance lately. I keep finding stuff that smells good in the bottle, spraying it on one of those papers and walking around with it for awhile only to discover that I hate how it smells once the top notes are gone, throw away paper, rinse and repeat. I saw this one in Sephora and remembered it had shown up on one of those scent recommendation quiz things, so I sprayed a paper with that. I then walked around Sephora with this paper more or less constantly up my nose. Ooooh, it smells so good! I kept waiting for it to get gross but instead it kept getting better. So I walked over to Dillards where there are Dior SAs that I have a relationship with and asked for a sample. She said they didn't have samples but she would make me one! Awesome. So my generous sample came right from the bottle on the display.

I went out to my car and dabbed the bottle on each wrist. Then tried to drive home while my wrists kept floating up to my nose, ohhh it smells so good! It kept shifting, smelling a little different, and I loved every subtle variation. I was a little worried because I had seen a review where someone said it smells like Calvin Klein's Obsession - which gave me my first migraine headache and I associate strongly with nausea and misery. And sure enough there did come a moment when it smelled like Obsession, if Obsession wasn't obnoxious lol. Somehow the balance of the scent made it something that I wanted more of instead of something to scrub off. Then it changed again and didn't smell like Obsession any more. At the end of the night it had gently faded away, leaving just a lovely hint of vanilla where it had been and I swear I considered applying some more to sleep with but I was afraid it might bother my hubby. But I reapplied it when I woke up this morning. I am totally going back to the Dior counter to buy the biggest bottle of this I can find, ASAP. Love, love.