Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Core Collection

4.5

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

OVERALL: great brushes! great brand! great price! none have shed, all are in great condition, i often use them, some everyday :) brush-by-brush review down below

CONTOUR: perfect for a soft contour, easy to blend and precise enough to get product only where you want it. i honestly can't say how it is for a harsh or 'chiseled' contour as i don't do those looks, but i love it for some soft definition. it's also great for under eye powdering. it's the perfect size to get the job done quickly but accurately. as i have very dry skin i usually use the duo-fiber contour brush, but for normal/oily skin, this would work perfectly. if you have dry skin, give it a go as well, just use a light hand :)

BUFFING: my go-to buffing brush! it feel so soft and gentle, not what you expect from a dense brush but i actually love the feeling of this brush the most on my skin! incredibly easy to use, just brush in circles to work foundation or powder into the skin for a natural look :)

DETAIL: i don't know what this brush was made for, but i use it for almost anything! dotting concealer onto a blemish or around my nose? this is perfect. inner corner highlight? perfect! it gets is so intense (the way i like it) so quickly and easily) packing a shadow on the lid? yep it does that too! not a day goes by when i don't use this for something, and i'm sure you'll find plenty more way to use it too!

FOUNDATION: not going to lie, it's my least favourite of the collection. i'm sorry, it's just too small to do foundation with, i sometimes use it to blend out under eye concealer, but i prefer a sponge or my ring finger way more often. i just don't reach for it as much as any of the others! now to be fair, i don't reach for any flat paddle brush on a daily, or even weekly, basis. i just don't have much use for it. i still think the collection is worth buying, i personally don't use paddle brushes much! if you do, you'll probably like this!

I brought this before owning any of my own make-up brushes. I was just using some high end old make up brushes my mum didn't use anymore. I had put of buying some brushes for a long time telling myself they are a waste of money as I already have some. But when I decided I really did need to get some new brushes I knew that real techniques where the best brand high store brand and that they would be decent. But they have completely changed my make-up game. These brushes are phenomenal quality for their price and make your foundation, highlight, contour or power e.t.c glide on effortlessly. I totally recommend these to all beginners!!

I honestly bought this set for its buffing brush to use in conjunction with my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. Instead, I ended up loving the contour brush! I still have not used the buffing brush since I bough this set a month ago but I am sure I would love it. The concealer brush I may not use because I like using the expert face brush and my miracle complexion sponge with my liquid foundation. The detailer brush I am not so keen on using as well because I never felt the need to spot conceal. And on rare instances that I do, I usually use my fingers. This is definitely worth the purchase. I love all Real Techniques brushes!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I bought this kit to try these brushes because of the excellent reviews and they do not disappoint. They are affordable and really good quality. I like the buffing brush for applying my bb cream. I like it even more than my sigma F 80 brush and that is much to say. It is soft and applies flawlessly the foundation. The contour brush I use for applying highlight and it looks exquisite. The small detailer one I use for the inner corner of the eye. This is a must have for makeup fans everywhere.

This was the first brush set I bought by Samantha Chapman (Real Techniques) about 2/3 years ago (wow has it really been that long?). I have had these brushes a long time, they were actually the first "professional" brushes I bought when I started getting more into makeup. I bought them because I love Pixiwoo's YouTube channel and wanted to support them, but I never expected them to be of such high quality and last me so long.

The set offers you a whole host of brushes useful for doing your face (base) makeup; Buffing brush, Contour brush, Detailer brush and their Pointed Foundation brush. My most used brush has to be the Buffing brush (no surprises there as EVERYONE talks about it!). But I honestly ADORE this brush and I use it almost everyday; it's great for liquid and powder (mineral) foundation.
The Contour brush is great for contouring because you can sculpt out your cheek bones precisely, and the fact it's really fluffy and tapered offers an amazing blend. However, that being said in the recent months I have actually been using the Contour brush to set my under eye concealer - it fits perfectly in the under eye area so I definitely recommend it for applying/setting concealer there.

Okay, so I clearly love the Buffing and Contour brushes but what about the other two? The other two are brushes which I don't reach for on a daily basis, but are both of the same high quality and are amazing for their purposes.
I personally use the Pointed Foundation brush to apply concealer, I don't think it's big enough to use for foundation all over.
As for the Detailer brush I love using this to either clean up my lip line when using a liquid lipstick or love using this as a lip brush to apply a bold lip colour.

The only slight thing I can fault the brushes for is for the shedding of bristles, but then again this is ONLY VERY OCCASIONALLY. I wash my brushes every week or two (and sometimes spot clean them using micellar water in between deep cleans). Shedding of brush bristles, in my opinion, is going to happen as it's wear and tear. I have had these brushes a long time and they're still new looking because I keep them clean and in good condition. I dry them with them layed on their side off the edge of a work top so that the water can drip off...I NEVER wash my brushes and stand them upright as I think this can affect your brush quality and make the bristles fall out more frequently.

Whether you're somebody experienced in makeup or somebody looking for brushes to start your collection I HIGHLY recommend the Core Collection. It has lasted me all these years and it's still going strong - however, if anything were to happen I would DEFINITELY (no questions asked) repurchase this collection. If not only just to have the Buffing and Contour brushes. Definitely a brush set which I wouldn't go without in my collection!

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

These brushes are the best. I have several Real Techniques brushes and they've lasted so long. I needed some new brushes for contouring so I decided to purchase this set. I was not disappointed. My bronzer/blush looked flawless. The brushes blend so well. There's no need to spend a huge amount of money on brushes, this is as good as it gets.

I find these far too stiff. I need soft and floofy.

I bought the core collection for the buffing brush. It isn't sold individually (but you probably can buy it that way on eBay or amazon, I suspect). So I finally just bit the bullet and bought the collection. I actually really like it. I use the detailer brush to blend concealer and to set it with powder. I use the buffing brush for applying liquid or cream foundation. I use the contour brush for applying powder blush, and for blending blush with contour and highlighter. I use the pointed foundation brush for applying cream blush (I don't really understand how people use this type of brush for applying foundation).

Perfect brushes! I love the buffing brush which I use with my powder foundation. I use the detailer brush to smooth my eye pencil line, works perfect! Contour brush for the blush and the pointed foundation brush to put and blend eyeshadow in the crease of my eye (sounds strange but works very well! I put the colour on the side of the brush and it fits perfectly in the crease of the eye). You can do a complete make up with this set, the only thing I miss is a brush you could use to put colour on the complete eye lid as base so for that I still use my MAC 217 or 239. I own a lot of MAC brushes but for the moment they are collecting dust!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Great quality and products for the price! Got this off a special "buy one get the second half price" deal at Boots, really happy that I finally have something to stick with for the foreseeable future!

The brushes themselves are great size, great quality, good grip and length, and overall awesome for any amateur to professional makeup user. Bristles do not fall off easily, and I especially love the labels on the side that tells you what the brush is so you don't have to wonder which one is which. Color scheme (for all RT brushes) is fantastically beautiful.

The bag which comes in the pack is awesome, from being foam padded, to having great elastic bands that hold your brushes securely, to displaying the brushes in an orderly and beautiful fashion on your desk / shelf / etc.

Popular Makeup Brushes