August 20, 2014 | 1333 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2009 11:05:00 AM More reviews by olelala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Being a total HE snob, I normally steer clear of d/s cosmetic shelves. Thanks to MUA, I am finally finding the treasures! Seriously, this Revlon Colorstay beats any liquid foundation I have ever tried at 1/3 the price, in terms of coverage, staying power, and skin matches. There are so many shades, it's like a wonderland. I've discovered that I am NC40 and Rich Tan, and I apply it with my flat top from EDM for flawless coverage. One lippie off because I'd rather it come with a pump, 9/10 times I get too much on. Here's a chart of MAC colors vs. Revlon colors that I've found (didn't make) really helped me in making my choice!

Revlon Colorstay with Softflex vs. MAC SFF:
    Medium Beige: NC27 between Sand Beige and Golden Beige
    Fresh Beige: NW25 with pinky undertones
    Golden Beige: NC30 with truest yellow/olive undertones
    Warm Golden: NW30/NC30 with somewhat neutral undertones
    True Beige: NW30 with pinky undertones (for Fresh Beige in summer)
    Natural Tan: NC40/NC42 more neutral than golden caramel
    Mahogany: NW50/NC55 the darkest of NWs but not extremely peachy
    Mocha: NW55 seems to be very cool toned, almost grey undertone

282 out of 288 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2011 6:16:00 AM More reviews by liyanxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

First things first, I am an nc35/37 and the shade which I have managed to find closest to my skin tone is 'Golden Warm' which matches my skin tone flawlessly. It was £12.49 at boots in London and I picked out the oily/combination formula.

Honestly, this is my HG foundation. From branded make up to all drug store make up; Color Stay is honestly the one that benefits me the most. The coverage is perfect for my acne prone skin; I have redness on my cheeks and minor acne scars and this foundation covers it effortlessly.

PROS:
    -The coverage is PERFECT for my acne prone skin; I have redness on my cheeks and minor acne scars which this foundation covers effortlessly.
    -It doesn't break me out! All the Mac foundations I tried did; so that's VERY beneficial for those with acne prone skin.
    -Controlled my oily yet dry skin so much that it actually lifted my mood and made me more confident. I managed to avoid ANY trips to the toilet to blot at my face like I used to multiple times a school day.
    -It isn't caky so young girls could definitely bang this out to school.
    -Isn't as expensive as Branded make up.

CONS:
    -They didn't have many shades for people with yellow/olive undertones so it took me several attempts to find the correct shade (but that's just my own fault I guess).
    -Some shades aren't offered at any store so you might have to order it online like I had to for Golden Warm.
    -Could easily cause a few breakouts if you don't clean properly; so don't be lazy.

Wearing foundation doesn't make your skin worse from my experience, just as long as you clean it off properly and adapt to a consistent face cleansing routine; morning and night!

Here's a chart I found online to help you guys who want to try this foundation out but are stuck on what shade to get. Hope this helps. :)

Ivory: NW 15 lightest of them all
    Medium Beige: NC27 between Sand Beige and Golden Beige
    Fresh Beige: NW25 with pinky undertones
    Golden Beige: NC30 with truest yellow/olive undertones
    Warm Golden: NW30/NC30 with somewhat neutral undertones
    True Beige: NW30 with pinky undertones (for Fresh Beige in summer)
    Natural Tan: NC40/NC42 more neutral than golden caramel
    Mahogany: NW50/NC55 the darkest of NWs but not extremely peachy
    Mocha: NW55 seems to be very cool toned, almost a grey undertone

23 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/26/2013 1:47:00 PM More reviews by nickyny

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Ladies, first I want to mention that I never wrote a review on a make up product before but was motivated to do it as a WARNING to others. Let me begin by saying that I never suffered from acne and Im not acne prone except for a pimple here and there before my period. I have used in the past all types of foundations from cream to liquid from Lancome to Mac and never had issues. I bought this because I heard good things about it and plus it's much cheaper than brand name foundations. The first month or so I didn't have any problems with it aside that it did make me look cakey and the color was wrong for my skin tone. After that I started to break out so bad I cried myself to sleep!!! It was so bad, not just little pimples but huge, red, painful zits! Mostly on the cheeks area. It went on for 2 months, one after another. I couldn't figure out what was going on, I am a healthy female with normal hormones, I even went for a check up to see if something was just wrong with me health wise, nope. It then occurred to me that it's this crap foundation that was causing this. I stopped using it immediately and my skin cleared out in a week. I don't know why it affects some people and not others but I have never suffered from such acne in my life, not even when I was a teenager! I would never recommend this to anyone unless I want to see them totally miserable. AVOID this product!!

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2011 9:06:00 PM More reviews by Darya155

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is the foundation I always come back to, no matter which foundation I feel like trying that never lives up to what this one does for me and my very oily skin. First, the colors... In the winter I wear 150 “Buff Chamois” and in the summer I can easily get away with 300. In between, I can wear 180. Overall, the colors for me are very great, and most drugstore foundations are too pink on me. I have a very prominent yellow/olive undertone, and most foundations are not yellow enough. In the winter, it is a big problem, as most of the lighter shades come in very pink undertones or are too light or dark if they are yellow enough. The color match for my very yellow skin is great! If the shade 300 was a bit more yellow, it would be perfect! If you find this is a problem for you, try mixing a bit of another foundation with the right undertone into the Revlon Colorstay. The longevity of this foundation remains unaltered, but the color will match you better.
    Now, onto coverage. What I love about this foundation is that it’s so full coverage but can easily be sheered down to a lighter coverage for summer or for when my skin is nicer. At a full coverage, it can look cakey if too much is applied because it is SO opaque and makes your skin look so flat and dead. This is the ONLY downside to the foundation—its heaviness on the skin and its tendency to cake if used too heavily. This is a foundation you can definitely feel when it’s on your face. It is not light weight, so if you are used to that, this is not for you! I rarely need to use an additional concealer for anything on my face after I’ve applied this foundation. If I do need more coverage on some spots, I just dab on more of the foundation over that spot and it conceals perfectly. Just use less overall for a lighter coverage. I do not have severe discoloration or any hyper-pigmentation, but when I need spots covered, this foundation does the job splendidly.
    Because it is so full coverage, most people will find it hard to blend but once you’ve worked with it for long enough and know exactly how to apply it, I do not find this a problem at all. I work on sections of my face, not the entire thing all at once. I start with one cheek, then the other, then chin, nose, then forehead. The best brush I’ve found for this foundation is the Sigma F80 or F82 (which I actually prefer to the F80 because it can buff the foundation in and give a sheerer, more natural application while the F80 cakes it on a bit more). These brushes can soak up a lot of the product, however. I used to apply it with my fingers, and this also gives a nice application but you have to work harder with flat foundation brushes and fingers, I find. I would NOT suggest a flat foundation brush for this foundation. That may make it much harder to blend and apply. Basically as soon as you start blending this foundation on your skin, it has begun to set so moving it around additionally after the first few seconds will make it look worse. The application process is an art you have to master.
    The longevity is flawless for a drugstore foundation. This is the best and most long lasting foundation out there, no questions asked. I’ve not heard of nor found a more long lasting foundation than this. I have worn it for over 12 hours and, as long as I did not touch my face much throughout the day, it will still be on the skin fairly opaquely. Other foundations slide off of my skin in a couple of hours due to its oiliness, even with a primer underneath. With a primer, this one stays put over 12 hours on my very oily skin. I powder the foundation to make it last as long as possible after I apply it. After about 5-6 hours, I have to re-powder my skin to mattify it. I powder additionally throughout the rest of the day after the first hours of wear, but that keeps it looking flawless for a very long time. The oil in my face does come through the foundation, but that is nothing some powder cannot fix to keep the foundation looking full coverage for the rest of the day. It does not easily wear away. This longevity is unmatched by any drugstore foundation I’ve seen out on the market so far and is the main reason I use this.
    The smell used to be very strong but I’ve noticed in the newer bottles I have of it (and I have gone through several bottles) that the smell is not as prominent anymore. The foundation does not irritate my skin, but not many things do. Everyone wishes that it came in a pump form, but I do not mind the bottle very much because the product performs so beautifully. You just have to be careful not to pour out too much (which is something I oftentimes end up doing, putting almost double the amount I will need on the back of my hand when applying it) and not to contaminate the bottle. I think the formula of the foundation would not perform the same way if it were to go through a pump applicator. If anything, this should have a spatula like the Rimmel Clean Finish foundation. If the bottle bothers you that much, put it in some other type of container and use it from there. That is also better if you need to mix colors to get your specific skin color with this or if you don’t want to be opening the actual bottle very often. Overall, the bottle can get messy.
    The price is very fair, and you can often find coupons for Revlon products to knock off another dollar or two or buy it at Ulta with coupons. At my Walmart, it is down to around $9 which is not bad at all.
    Overall, I cannot give this less than 5 stars because this is my Holy Grail foundation. I have sampled Clinique foundations before, trying to find something better or at least a higher end dupe for it, and none of them stayed on my skin for more than 2 hours. This is better than all of the ones I have ever tried and I can imagine I will continue to reach for this foundation for a long time to come.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2013 11:27:00 PM More reviews by disigney

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This is one of my favorite foundations of all time. I have tried foundation after foundation after foundation and I always end up coming back to this.

It sets after you put it on and it will literally not move until you take it off. I live in Florida and work at Disney World, and this foundation stays on through hours of working outdoors and sweating constantly.

The smell is a bit weird but it goes away after you put it on so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I do use the oily skin formula as I do have oily skin and am prone to breakouts.

Love, love, love this foundation. My only complaint is the packaging, which tends to get extremely messy and the lid breaks quite often as well.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/20/2013 6:43:00 PM More reviews by drawkcabackward

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've bought countless bottles of Revlon Colorstay over the years and I've finally decided to stop repurchasing it. With the new formula, I don't like it as much anymore. Although it is more sheer, I think it's still enough coverage for me. This used to be my HG drugstore foundation, but I like Almay TLC better (and it has a pump!)

The packaging is really inconvenient that there's no pump, especially because it's so thick. The most recent bottle I've gotten of CS, I held the bottle upside down and it was so thick that nothing even came out. I'm not sure if it was a defective foundation or it was just the new formula, but I had a friend that owned CS too and she agreed that it was far more thick than the old ones we both had. Also, the smell for me is too overwhelming. The only way I can describe it is that it smells like floral paint or old perfume mixed with paint. Not something I want to put on my face anymore.

Revlon CS does have a lot of shades, but I find that the color matches lean towards pink quite a bit. I found it difficult to find a shade that matched me perfectly (I have olive/yellow undertones). Even golden beige was too pink for me. It also sets really fast so you have to be quick with this foundation! It does give a "mask" like feel, but it depends how much you're putting on and what you're using. Using a Beauty Blender did sheer it out quite a bit, but using my Sigma F80, it was thick and mask-like and not natural by any means. It did look like I had foundation on unless I used MAC's Fix+ to make it look less thick.

Also, a warning for acne-prone people: you have to be very, very careful about taking this foundation. It does stay on for a LONG time. If you don't take all of it out, I found that it does clog my pores on my forehead.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2012 9:04:00 PM More reviews by neeshaluvsmakeup212

I absolutely adore this foundation! I wear this daily with my sonia kasuk brush and it glides on smoothly and lasts my whole day. Even for halloween I am being a vampire and i purchased this in ivory, and it really looks amazing.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2012 2:25:00 PM More reviews by koridixon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After trying dozens of foundations I always come back to Revlon Colorstay. I work outside on a golf course and I have very oily skin, so finding a foundation that doesn't melt off within minutes is amazing!! The golden beige color matches my skin tone perfectly, and the medium-full coverage leaves my face looking flawless for hours. It doesn't even smudge or smear.
    Using a damp sponge to apply works wonders. It does dry rather quick so blend it out fast. I constantly get compliments on my complexion, which has NEVER happened before.

The negatives of Revlon Colorstay: Due to the phenomenal staying power, be prepared to spend a little extra time washing it off. It comes in a glass bottle but the most disappointing part is that it doesn't come with a pump.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2012 9:19:00 PM More reviews by irk246

This foundation kicks the asses of MAC Studio Fix Fluid and Estee Lauder Double Wear!

I wear this foundation nearly everyday, and I have never noticed an increase in my acne. I have INCREDIBLY oily skin that normally gets super shiny within two hours after I applied my makeup. But thankfully I can go up to five hours without having to powder or blot! I would have to say that after a 12 hour day it doesn't transfer or looks like it had melted. It also lasts through jogging and running out in the sun (I live in California) in 85 degree + temperature! Pretty impressive if you ask me!!!

I use foundation and concealer to cover up some old acne scarring I've had for a few years, and this manages to cover majority of them in one layer. I will admit that MAC SFF, and Estee Lauder DW do cover up quite a bit better, but considering that this costs a fraction of what those two foundations do, how can I complain?

One HUGE gripe I do have with this is the packaging. The packaging sucks balls to be honest. I hate that you have to pour the product out, which wastes time, and product. At least with the MAC and Estee Lauder foundations (the MAC foundation pump is compatible with both SFF and DW) you have the option of adding a pump. Everyone that I know pray that to the goddess of beauty (Aphrodite) would so much as email Revlon and demand they add a stupid pump!

Anyway- the color match is actually one of the best I have ever found. I am an NC-37 in MAC Studio Fix Fluid (which is a tad too yellow), and the closest shade in Estee Lauder Double Wear that they offer is Wheat (which is still too pink and too dark). I am a Warm Golden in Colorstay which matches me incredibly well! This shade has NO pink undertones and isn't SUPER yellow like NC-37 is! I love it!

Overall- the quality of the actual foundation is pretty amazing. It is most definitely one of the best I have ever tried, and most definitely the BEST drugstore foundation available. I absolutely love everything except the packaging- otherwise it is HG material in my book!

Would I recommend this to a friend? Hell Yes!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2010 7:30:00 PM More reviews by edgexofxdesire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased this product for Normal/Dry skin in shade 180 Sand Beige. I don't agree with the swarms of people who swear that this foundation is too thick and smells bad..I'm coming off of using Covergirl Clean makeup which is probably the thickest, strongest smelling foundation I've ever used. I actually love the consistency and coverage of the Colorstay foundation. I apply it with a stippling brush and the Sonia Kashuk blending sponge and it gives me a very natural looking flawless finish (and I don't even have to set it). The only thing is that I'm not a fan of the matte finish for everyday, but I did find a great way around that. I mix the colorstay with a dab of their photoready..it still has the same great coverage, but it leaves my skin with a dewy-looking glow instead of matte.

I love it and I'll definitely repurchase it again.