July 26, 2014 | 1112 users online

Styling Products - Sexy Hair Concepts - Powder Play

rated 2 of 5 on 1/23/2014 5:34:00 PM More reviews by Jessicaxjane

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I'll be 100% honest, I could NOT figure out how to make this product work for me. I used just a little bit when my hair was dried, and my hair got really oily less than an hour later. (while I was at work, AT A BEAUTY STORE, of course.) Blah. I wish I could make it work. :/ I just don't understand.. Anyone have any tips? I'm definately still open to it, not gonna throw it out.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2013 10:10:00 PM More reviews by Courtneybrynn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have very fine and limp hair that really does nothing but lay flat on my head. I like having some volume to my hair, but most volumizers leave a crunchy or sticky texture that is just not touchable and I just can't stand.

Powder play changed the entire game for me. It gives hair a lot of volume with no crunchy texture. It leaves a little stickiness but, nothing bothersome. The powder is white and I have color treated red hair, I have used quite a bit of it at a time with no visible residue. I also love that the effect lasts a long time, hour after hour and doesn't really diminish the way a spray volumizer would.

When I use it, I shake it into my hand and then apply it with the other hand. I find I get more control with the application than shaking it directly into my hair.

I have only tried one other powder volumizer, and it was by TIGI. I like this one better because I felt like it had a stronger effect and lasted longer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2013 12:41:00 AM More reviews by ECMac25

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I've rocked a pixie cut for the last seven years and this is the only product I've found that truly gives hair incredible lift. On dry hair, I sprinkle it onto the roots/scalp where I need it, massage, and style away. I can use it to add subtle volume and texture or completely make my hair stand on end for crazier faux hawk and sculptural styles. And it LASTS. With other root boosters or volumizing products, I'd have to add more product and mist my hair continually with hairspray in order to keep it from collapsing by midday. Not with Powder Play! The best part about this product is that it gives touchable hold, doesn't flake, and is very easy to wash out. Big big thumbs up - I will cry if this is ever discontinued!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2013 5:32:00 PM More reviews by goddessintraining

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have very fine hair, & not a real abundance of it. I use this product by first hot rollering/or other, then sectioning my hair & sprinkling this on the roots...then sort of fluff/scrunch it in a bit. I do a little extra teasing at the crown. It gives me more volume than I would otherwise have & my hair definitely looks more full. Sometimes it falls a little after a while but lifts back up if I lift it with the tail of a comb or do that "scrunch" thing at the roots with my fingers.

I would definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2013 5:21:00 PM More reviews by Di57

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had been using Schwarzkopf Osis Dusting Powder and whilst that did the job well, it was like having fairy floss stuck through your hair. In comparison, Big Sexy Hair Powder Play does the job just as well, but is much more easy to manage. You can run fingers through it to arrange it after dusting, and your fingers don't get caught up and stuck like I found with the Osis powder. It gives a natural lift and 'big' look to my fine, short (above shoulder) hair. I did have my hair cut very short and am growing it out. This product works great to plump it up and out - makes me look as though I have twice the hair I do have. And can still run fingers through it and plump it up through the day. Really happy I got onto this product. Hairhouse Warehouse talked me into buying a 3-pack of the powder, spray & play hairspray (also excellent!) and mousse (also great). The pack was on special for just over $30, so a good deal all round.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2013 12:23:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Big Sexy Hair's Powder Play Volumizing&Texturizing Powder is "the perfect product to add volume to any hair type no matter the style or texture. Instantly liquifies it's self when applied, allowing hair to absorb the product and provide full, voluminous textured hair. Its weightless, odorless, and colorless on hair." Volume is not something my hair needs more of, but the concept of this product intrigued me enough to try it, plus I've enjoyed the other Sexy Hair products I've already tried. I received a .7 oz (2g) travel size of Big Sexy Hair's Powder Play in my April Ipsy Bag. The full size contains .53 oz and retails for around $16. Sexy Hair products are available worldwide - in the USA you can find Sexy Hair at salons, beauty suppliers, and Ulta. I've also recently seen the brand at Target and Giant Eagle. Sexy Hair does not test on animals. This styling product was made in America.
Big Sexy Hair's Powder Play comes in a small, recyclable, red plastic bottle topped with a black cap. The Big Sexy Hair logo runs vertically down the tube. The product name and a comic book style "POW" are printed on the front of the tube in black lettering. The back of the bottle offers directions, a description, and a full ingredient list. Removing the cap reveals a shaker top with a star design. Dispensing this product is easy and not too messy.
Big Sexy Hair's Powder Play Volumizing&Texturizing Powder is a really interesting product. Before I move on I just wanna give kudos to Sexy Hair for slipping a hockey reference into this product's name; that alon makes it a win for me. Anyway, this Volumizing&Texturizing Powder comes out as a fine, soft, white powder. Sexy Hair recommends that you sprinkle this product at the roots of the hair and rub it in with your fingers. What happens next is really neat - this powder liquifies! How? I do not know, but I guess it makes sense since most of the ingredients are liquid based. This powder feels a bit wet in stick in the hair - like a hair spray. Like I said, my hair doesn't need help from volumizing styling products, its massive on it's own. So, to test this product I brushed and combed my hair down as flat as I could get it, sprinkled in some Powder Play, rubbed it in and suddenly my hair was massive again. This product provides instant volume with no teasing required. If your hair already has a lot of lift, its very easy to go overboard with this product - Powder Play makes my bangs stick out straight! Big Sexy Hair's Powder Play Volumizing&Texturizing Powder doesn't provide any hold, so you'll need to follow it up with a hairspray like Big Sexy Hair's Spray&Play, which I highly recommend. Powder Play is not a loose dry shampoo, it does nothing for oil absorption, I feel like it actually makes my hair look a little greasy, or at least wet.
Big Sexy Hair's Powder Play Volumizing&Texturizing Powder really does provide an immense amount of volume. If you have limp hair, this is the product for you. For me, this product only exacerbates the wildness of my mane, and I call it a mane specifically because this product made me look like a lion. The way this powder styling product works is a mystery. How does a powder made of relatively simple ingredients liquify and lift my hair to such heights? Clearly witchcraft is involved. If you have flat hair, consider picking up the mini version of this product for $6. If you have naturally full bodied locks, skip Big Sexy Hair's Powder Play unless you plan on creating extremely voluminous styles.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/29/2013 4:44:00 AM More reviews by Marquesooo

It definitely makes your hair voluptuous. I used it a couple times only using a small amount and it gave my hair a sticky feeling texture and I didn't like that at all bcuz I'm the type who constantly runs my fingers through my hair. But if I were to go to an event or even do an updo, I would use this most definitely. But with my hair down, not an option.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2013 3:39:00 PM More reviews by Shampooaholic

LOVE this powder! I have fine, flat hair and have tried countless products to give my hair some lift and all leave my hair crunchy or greasy. This stuff is amazing! I flip my head upside down, sprinkle powder in my hands, rub hands together then run my fingers through flipped hair from roots to ends. Flip head up and POOF!!!!! Big hair! The ends get that cool "beach" look (I have layered hair to the shoulders). I scrunch my hair with it too to give more texture to the ends. It is kinda hard to wash out though...once water hits it makes a glue feeling in your hair. Always have to shampoo twice. But it's the only product that doesn't leave my hair greasy!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2013 8:22:00 AM More reviews by katy24

Powder Play is my favorite product for adding volume!Dust a tiny amount on the top of your head,fluff it out&hair is thickened beautifully!Great for layered hair of any length.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2013 8:09:00 AM More reviews by sandlot629

I love this product. I have very fine short hair this product boosts the volume by 100 percent! I do have to wash my hair at least twice to remove it all but it is well worth it! I will continue to use Powder Play.