October 23, 2014 | 1428 users online

Pressed Powders - L.A. Colors - Pressed Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2014 7:46:00 PM More reviews by Meyersmedley

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Packaging is crap, but that's kind of expected with something that only costs a buck. However, this is hands down one of my favorite powders and I've used a ton. It's not chalky or cakey and it really mattifies and feels nice on the face. So glad I decided to take the leap and try it. It will probably be the only powder I purchase from this point on. Don't see a need to spend a ton on anything else. Good stuff!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2014 11:39:00 PM More reviews by Courtney16

Great! I will not purchase any other powder. It matches better than anything. It was only a dollar! It has lasted over a year! Who could complain?

rated 2 of 5 on 7/14/2014 1:04:00 AM More reviews by RainaVixen

You get what you pay for, and this powder lives up to that fact. It's not that great but i guess for the price you can't go wrong, but i wouldn't recommend this or buy it again!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2014 2:51:00 PM More reviews by kelleyaddy

This product is simply a wonderful choice for anyone who wears or wants to wear a pressed powder. It has wonderful pigment ( i have the powder in tan), the texture is buttery soft with no grainy feel ! The powder works well over liquid foundation and/or concealer. The best thing about this product is the price! I found these powders at Dollar Tree for..... a whole dollar! Who would think a make up product would actually work for a $1? Thats crazy!
One thing I am not sure on is how this powder would affect certain skin types. I have a combination skin type,,,, sometimes dry, sometimes oily (mostly the T-zone) . i've been using this powder in conjunction with the LA colors 'liquid makeup' which is liquid foundation for nearly 4 weeks and my face has not broken out; so I hope I continue to enjoy this $1 product because this is such a money saving option for anyone !

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2014 3:01:00 AM More reviews by Eire1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was a simple product with nothing special about it. I was not even sure if it had sunscreen because titanium dioxide was listed under the: 'may contain' part of the ingredient label. Yet the PP 261 matched my skin perfectly and cost only $1 for 0.35 oz! It did not budge or flake and it could be used as a concealer over and under my eyes. I have oily skin too and it mopped up the extra oil. I know they have changed the packaging now but I hope they haven't changed the formula. I understand that it wont match everyones skin color but for me it was perfect.

********UPDATE: If you are unable to find this for whatever reason 'NYC Smooth Skin Pressed Face Powder / Fini Parfait Poudre Compacte' for $3.00 for 0.33 oz is a dupe. The powders color and texture is the same the ingredients are the only difference. 'NYC' has dimethicone in place of magnesium stearate zinc stearate vs ethylhexyl palmitate kaolin vs sqaulene acetylene dimethicone vs petrolateum and aluminum starch and octenyl succinate. This also may or may not contain iron oxides and titanium dioxide.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2013 9:53:00 PM More reviews by Delakall

I was just at my dollar store today and saw this and was quote interested. I wasn't familiar with the brand but have had nail polishes of the brand in the past and had loved them. I bought the product for $1 and in the colour Beige. When I opened up the package it looked like a professional makeup product from some high-class cosmetic store when really it was from a dollar store. The compact has a little half mirror inside and a pad to apply it with although the pad wasn't working for me so I had used the amazing blush brush that I had bought with the powder in a blush set from L.A. Colours because it looked like it was a good product with potential. Anyways, the pressed powder is amazing and I am definitely buying it again. If this compact doesn't work for you then that really sucks because for me it's amazing. If you happen to see L.A. Colours blush with a brush set you should pick that up too. It's absolutely perfect and the brush is amazing.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/13/2013 7:15:00 PM More reviews by gagaglam03

Update: this broke me out like crazy! At first it's a good powder but not if you're acne prone like me.. I wanted to like this because it's only $1 but I guess you get what you pay for

rated 4 of 5 on 9/20/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by HappyUnicornSmile

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Pros:

1. Cheap! Only $1 at Dollar Tree.

2. Cute compact! I like the design, it's simple and classy. Also, I love that it includes a mirror. The only complaint I have about the packaging is mine won't seem to close all the way. But when I take it in my purse, I slip it into a cosmetic bag, so I don't have to worry about anything hurting the powder or getting powder on anything else.

3. Good color choices. At least, I think so. I don't know their full range of colors, but when I went to Dollar Tree there were a few. I chose Nude and it's a wonderful match for me (I'm yellow/golden toned and pale).

4. Doesn't test on animals! L.A. Colors has signed a pledge that it does not test on animals. Yay for leaping bunnies.

5. Buttery and adequate coverage. This powder doesn't look very powdery on the skin, although it is discernible that you're wearing make up if you look very closely. No one gets that close to my face, usually...so I don't care about that very much. Doesn't really get cakey, but you can't build it up to full coverage. I would say the coverage is in between light and medium. It covers most scars, unless their new and vibrant. It doesn't cover active pimples very well. It makes my skin look better than it does without this powder, so I'm fine using it for unimportant outings. However, at places where I need to look nice, the coverage with this will not do.

6. Doesn't break me out! Almost all make up does, so it's nice that this gives my skin a break. That's the main reason I am currently using only this powder. I thought the Talc might be a problem, but I haven't had any negative reactions yet and I've been wearing it for about 3 weeks.

Cons:

1. Lasting power. This product does not stay. I live in an extremely hot, and mostly dry climate (except for the end of August/some parts of September because of monsoon season). I put this powder on in the morning, go on a 20 minute walk to walk my furry friends, and come home to see there's basically nothing left on my face. That's disappointing. I'm glad it's a pressed compact, because if I couldn't take it with me everywhere to constantly reapply, I'd be SOL.

2. Doesn't keep my face matte by itself. Honestly, I haven't had a make up that does. So this doesn't really matter. But it's important to note that if you're very oily, counting on this for a matte powder by itself will not work. I like using Palladio Rice Powder over it to keep oil down.

3. Powdery. When I use it, a layer of loose powder sits on top of the product. This just bugs me. I feel like I'm wasting it. Also, it can be a bit messy at times. This is only annoying, it's not a serious con. Nor is #2 a serious con.

Comments:

I wish this would just last longer. That's my only real qualm! I can deal with lighter coverage, if I could just get a trade off of lasting power. I've tried this with Smashbox primer and Pur Minerals primer and neither makes it last much longer than it does on its own. If I had less scarring, perhaps this wouldn't be an issue. But I need to hide my face until it heals lol.

I definitely say that you should pick up one or a couple of these babies! They are great. Despite the real and truthful feedback I have given that may have scared you away from this, I still gave it 4 lippies, I still reallllly like it! Although, I'm not in love with it. No make up is going to be perfect. It's all about the trade-offs. If what's most important to you is animal friendly make up that doesn't break you out and delivers adequate coverage, use this. If you value a make up with extreme staying power and hate reapplying and touch ups, then perhaps you should look elsewhere. I'm currently looking into Lucy Minerals which is supposed to deliver both astounding coverage and astounding lasting power. I will write a review on that soon (if you're the second type of person).

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2013 9:03:00 AM More reviews by susieshawtiie

Most people wouldnt think to buy a pressed powder that only cost $1-$2. But this product is AMAZING. Ive been using this product since i was 13 and im 17 now and i still use this pressed powder,. it covers blimshes extremely well, and always leaves skin looking perfect! it never gives any orange or discoloration on the face. it fits skin perfectly!! not to mention its cheap! its always one of the only products i can use without getting break outs, due to my sensitive skin. this packaging is flimsy and not the best but for $2 and great coverage its a steal!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/3/2013 12:46:00 AM More reviews by Mford11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pros
-cheap
-pretty good coverage

Cons
-has a weird perfume smell
-dried up and has a weird texture
-doesn't pick up a lot of product with a brush, you have to use a sponge
-not a lot of color choices