August 21, 2014 | 1659 users online

Highlighters - E.L.F. - Studio Shimmer Palette

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2014 12:26:00 AM More reviews by yankeerose

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have one in my makeup bag in my purse, one in my travel case and one in my everyday makeup stash...its that good.

I have 2 of the ambient lights, they are lovely but just don't last longer than a few hours.
I have benefits highlighters, they do last, but I feel they are too expensive for what you get.
I have Dior pallet, in the bronze shades...nope doesn't work for me.
I have BB's shimmer brick...disco balleramma.

This little $3.00 pallet is exactly what I was looking for. The colors are easy to use, if you are using a pink/rose blush, use the pink highlighter. If your using peach/coral blush, use the peach highlighter, if using only bronzer, stick with the pale bronze color. And the white color is perfect for the inner eye area. These are very creamy, blend like a dream. They do not have glitter, but they do have very fine sparkles. They last all day, no need to truly touch up unless going straight out after work. I use these on the outer tops of my cheekbones in the classic "C", also on my cupids bow, and inner eye area. I knew this was a true winner when people at work were commenting on how well rested I looked. Hey, these are 3 bucks, if you haven't tried this, give it a go. sometimes I see them at target, but I usually order on line from ELF website, they always have really good sales promotions.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/29/2014 4:51:00 PM More reviews by MollieS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I have this and its not a go to item for me. I have other makeup that works better and doesn't look so stark. I've tried blending this out, building it up, using just a touch and nothing is working for me so its not something I recommend. Very shimmery and almost fine glitter.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2014 12:33:00 PM More reviews by addied

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Brought it a while ago but haven't used it much. I suspect it's because I'm not digging the fact that the palette doesn't blend well at all on my skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/16/2014 2:21:00 PM More reviews by sandracruz

Cheap, effective, fair pigmentation.

Texture of a butter, spreads and blends well. Dries on its own, doesn't move.

Good for daily makeup.

Not for flash photography, horrible. It gives white cast.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2013 7:31:00 PM More reviews by WendyTran

WOW! I am really amazed with this product. I own a looooot of highlighters (Yes, I love them:P), and I really appreciate this one.

Pros:
-The price : 3$, and you get 4 different colors.
-The packaging is super secure and convenient. Not difficult to open nor to close.
-It comes with a mirror, and a little brush. I find the the brush is very useful to highlight tear-ducks : It more precise and works better than using fingers.
-The lasting power is great: For me, it lasted me all day long, unlike powder highlighters. However, it does fade, but the product is still there at the end of the day
-It blends easily
-It is not overly shimmery, like the Shimmering facial whips. So , it looks quite natural
-its so SMOOTH! I was quite surprised the first time I touched it: so creamy! :)
-No smell

Cons:
-Even though there are 4 colors, I find that they look very similar. In the pan, they do not, but you cannot really tell a difference on the skin.

In comparison with the ALL OVER COLOR STICK and SHIMMERING FACIAL WHIPS (from ELF too):
First of all, the shimmering palette is as longlasting as the stick. But the application is better. They are both easy to blend.
Then, the palette contains wayy less shimmers than the facial whips, so for me, I think it looks a lot better. The texture is better too.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/14/2013 4:18:00 PM More reviews by bee95x

When I read about this I thought it would be a great palette to buy and given the price, it seemed too good to be true. However, after using it my views changed. It's almost like the shades melt away... it's really weird. Plus, not all the colours suit every skin tone - for example, the silvery/white shade is way too loud for someone with tan skin.

The palette can supposedly be used for the lips as well. It looks highly unflattering when I tried. I would rather purchase separate shimmery colours than go for this. Plus, the brush they provide is horrible. No wonder they've just tossed it in with the palette. Of course, each to its own. Try it out for yourself - but I would not recommend it.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2013 5:19:00 PM More reviews by elles143

I bought this because it was dirt cheap and I like how it came with 4 colours so I could experiment with highlighting.

I would say this product is decent but to be honest, it didn't do a lot for me. I found it to be a little too slick and I didn't really get the look I was looking for with this. Also, all the colours ended up looking the same on my face, which negated one of the initial reasons I had purchased this.

If you're on a budget and need a basic and a shimmer that isn't obviously shimmery, this will probably work for you. I now prefer powder highlighters but if I use a cream base, I go to my Joe Fresh cream highlighter in "Champagne".

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 5:40:00 PM More reviews by lmhamner

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love to use this as a highlighter. It is definitely a great deal. How it wears and the consistency is exactly like Urban Decay's urbanglow cream highlighter! I have the UD highlighter in Sin and the only difference between that and the ELF product is the color. I like that the Sin has more of a warm, golden color. The colors in this palette are a bit lighter and more cool-toned and there is not a significant difference between any of the colors. I wish ELF would come out with a warm-toned version of this palette!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2013 4:39:00 PM More reviews by Ancatje

ELF products are more misses than hits with me, but this shimmer palette is definitely a hit!
I am so impressed with this. You CAN see the subtle differences between the shades, unlike previous reviewers said, and we're talking even on my paler than pale skin. It's very creamy and easy to work with and it's a great multi-task highlighter for face & eyes, and even collarbone for example. On eyes I would only recommend them over a good primer though, otherwise they would crease because they are so creamy. There's no glitter in here, just fine shimmer, so it looks as natural as a product like this can do.
Only thing is, I don't think this would be suitable for darker skinned women - I have a feeling all shades would look quite ashy.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2013 12:47:00 PM More reviews by sweetandpetite

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So I just received this product in the mail from E.L.F.'s website and all I can say is WHERE HAS THIS PRODUCT BEEN ALL OF MY LIFE!? I recently wanted to get into using a highlighter to brighten my face and after swatching every highlighting product you can imagine over the past two weeks, I have found that this is my HG hightlighter! Based on reviews off of here I tried Nars "Albatross" (too gold on my yellow undertone skin and too powdery), Smashbox "Softlights" in shimmer (too ruddy/pink and powdery), Benefit "High Beam" (too pale pink and messy), MAC "Soft & Gentle" (too fake, dark, and shimmery for daytime). BTW, almost all of these have a price tag of almost $30 that I was willing to pay, but this is by far the best highlighter, and it's one tenth of the cost at only $3!

It gives you a dewy fresh glow with NO glitter, it isn't powdery, which means it doesn't rub off. ( I found with Nars and Smashbox that I had to apply many swipes of the powder to get the same glowing effect that I get with just a little of this product). The super lightweight creamy formula is so easy to blend, you can't mess it up, start off with a little product and you can always build on it, a little goes a long way.

There are 4 shades in the palette and, as others have mentioned, when you mix them all together they look the same. On their own, I find that the two middle shades work best for everyday on my fair-medium yellow undertone skin. They give you the perfect NATURAL "glow from within" look! The first shade on the left is white, and similar to and even better of a light "candlelit" effect than Benefit's High Beam. This is great for a more intense nightime highlight (think Morticia Addams, in a good way!). The pink shade on the end is the most pigmented of all of them, if mixed in with the other colors, it is fine for the daytime, but on it's own it is very very pink, I didn't know what to do with it until I recently found if I rub just a little on the apples of my cheeks over my cheek stain it adds a pop of dewy pink glow, very pretty and fun!

The packaging is brilliant. The compact itself is black, sleek and thin so it doesn't take up any extra space and it's very easy to open. Also a plus that it comes with a mirror when you want to go into the light by a window to see how much to put on if you're going to be outside and don't want it to look too strong. It comes with a brush but I find the best way to apply this is with your index finger. Just rub a little on whichever color(s) you want and then blend into the areas you would like to highlight.

My make-up routine right now in the middle of a dry and cold Buffalo winter season is to moisterize, apply primer, concealer, cheek stain, and then this highlighting product just above my cheeks, then a light bronzer all over my face (the highlighter still shows through under powder, but sometimes I'll add a little more over it at the end). I finish it all off with E.L.F.'s High Definition Powder (see my review on this product soon to come!) to make everything look airbrushed and to control my t-zone oiliness.

On a final note, the very best thing about this product is that when I get out of work at 5pm it is still on! This is going to be a must-have, must-use everyday, staple product for me. I've already gotten compliments about how great my skin looks! Again....where has this product been all my life!? :-)

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No