April 18, 2014 | 1890 users online

Lips - Palladio - Tinted Lip Balm

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2010 6:48:00 PM More reviews by Mimsy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Last month I purchased two of the Palladio lip balms in the shades Orange and Brownie and they impressed me so much I ended up collecting the entire range of colors. All were purchased at Duane Reade for $4 each.

(click "Continued" at the end of my review to see product pics and swatches. Includes lip swatch)

I've been trying out a lot of tinted lip balms lately and consider the Palladio lip balms as some of my favorites. They're not as moisturizing or thick and, consequently, not as long lasting as my beloved NYC Lip Sliders Tinted Lip Balms, but they don't dry out my lips like the Korres lip butters. The Palladio balms are very creamy smooth and not waxy, sticky, or greasy in texture. And they have good color payoff, especially the darker shades.

I can't detect any taste/flavor in these products. There is a very slight scent but it's not unpleasant. Funnily enough, it doesn't have an herbal or medicinal scent as one would expect an "Herbal Tinted Lip Balm" to possess. Personally, I think they smell like the hard candy coating on the outside of Jordan almonds - a barely there, soft sugar scent.

The nine available Palladio Herbal Tinted Lip Balm shades are: Champagne, Cotton Candy, Golden Pink, Bronzy Pink, Naturally Bronze, Orange, Berry, Rosey, and Brownie. (Palladio's website lists Natural Bronze but the actual packaging reads Naturally Bronze) I would say that Orange, Berry, and Brownie are my favorites because they look the most natural on my not-very-pigmented lips. Don't be scared by the names "Orange" and "Brownie". Orange is actually pretty sheer and not "in your face" bright. And, as you can tell from the swatch, Brownie is far from being dirt brown in color; in fact, I consider it a more flattering, redder version of Clinique's Black Honey lipstick. Orange and Berry are great for a MLBB (my lips but better) look, and Brownie for a bit more color.

I can say without any doubt that, out of the nine colors, Rosey is the most pigmented. Forget tinted lip balm, Rosey could probably pass as a moisturizing lipstick. One swipe is all I need to get really good color payoff.

As far as I can tell, Brownie, Berry and Rosey are the only non-shimmery (or minimal to almost non-existant shimmer) shades. It's a bit hard to tell. With these three shades, sometimes I don't think they have any shimmer but then there'll be a change in lighting and then I think perhaps they do have the tiniest bit of micro shimmer.

There's no question about the other six shades though; they definitely have shimmer to varying degrees. But not gritty or obnoxious shimmer. Orange contains shimmer but on the lips can pass as a non-shimmer shade, and has far less shimmer than the much more shimmery Golden Pink.As someone who's repulsed by frosty and super shimmery colors, none of the Palladio lip balm colors make me want to hurl.

I would say that for stick-type lip balms the Palladio Herbal Tinted Lip Balms are surprisingly long lasting. Overall, they're sufficiently moisturizing and all very wearable shades with a nice texture, finish, and moderate to great pigmentation (depending on the shade). continued >>

61 out of 61 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2010 4:52:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

THESE ARE PERFECT! My search for the perfect sheer, moist, glossy, tinted lip balm is over. Such a wonderful color variety too:

Rosey - MLBB fresh Spring rose (very sheer)

Brownie - MLBB perfect rosey-brown (very sheer)

Cotton Candy - sheerest light pink (barely visible)

Champagne - light beige frost (not so sheer)

Naturally Bronze - opaque flat nude (no shimmer)

Golden Pink - frosty bronzed pink, looks seashell-peach

Berry - sheer peach, honestly

The only color I didn't buy was Orange. These are all beautiful depending on individual tastes in color & skintone. Only $4 at the drugstore. They come in black standard lip balm packaging, which I prefer. No SPF is great for me as sunscreen dries out my lips & my purpose is to keep my lips moist & dewy.

I love these tinted lip balms. They're great. Would absolutely repurchase.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2010 2:30:00 PM More reviews by Rina7

I have this in Rosey and Brownie, which both have a creamy sheen (no frost). Nice color payoff for a tinted lip balm, basically a sheer lipstick with moisture. Requires re-app every couple of hours but since it looks like a lip balm instead of a lipstick, I feel free to apply it anywhere--for instance on the trail with my hiking buddies-- without feeling ridiculous for putting "makeup" on in public. For me, Rosey is almost like raspberry (pinky rose with a blue undertone) except a bit lighter. A nice fresh color except I think it's a bit "young" for me. Brownie is more sophisticated, a pinky-brown. Both feel smooth on my lips. Also have Orange which is more sheer, not crazy about the color because it doesn't layer well with my berry toned lips.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2010 1:45:00 AM More reviews by aryana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

HG HG HG! These tinted lip balms are perfect. They moisturize like really high quality lip balm, and at the same time offer a TON of tint. If you apply one sheer coat you'll get a sheer wash of color, but with two or more coats it easily looks almost like lipstick-grade color (without looking dry like many lipsticks do). I have it in Rosey which is the most red color. Haven't tried other shades because I pretty much stick to red tinted lips, but this is such a great product I might try a new shade at some point. So cheap too, at $3-4, and one tube lasts a long time. I really love this product-- I have a mini panic attack every time I misplace it, and I'm not even a lip product person! Before this all I would use was Dr. Pepper lipsmacker because it also has a slight red tint. This is sooo much better though. Most tinted lip balms I've tried were failures because the pigment didn't mix well with the balmy texture of the product, resulting in the color not applying smoothly. But these are PERFECT! I would be happy with this as my only lip product for the rest of my life. So glad I found out about these on EmilyNoel83's youtube channel!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2010 7:05:00 PM More reviews by pr0cessa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Thanks to the user Mimsy for the great review of this below, which is how I came to try the product. I have this in Orange and Bronzed Pink and I love them both. For the price, it's a really fantastic deal. The Orange is such a lovely sheer peach, reminds me of my beloved NARS Mindgame lipstick. The bronzed pink does have a lot of shimmer, but it's a really nice warm color, no pink really, which is great for me since I can't do pinks. Both colors work really well on my light, warm toned complexion. The texture is to die for. Very soft, glides on dewy and really moisturizing. Similar to Clinique Almost lipstick, but less drying. Also less tacky and more balmy than my Tarte lip sheer in Wednesday. The color is more sheer than the Laura Mercier tinted balms, but I actually prefer that. I only wish there were more warm colors - a warm red would be ideal! The product is hardly noticeable in its little display in the Sally's store. I'm so glad I found it! great deal. I've paid a lot more for products that were way, way inferior.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2012 4:27:00 PM More reviews by rossjen

Being a lip balm junkie, I had to look into these after seeing some swatches. I've passed by the Palladio displays countless times without a second glance, and boy am I sorry I didn't find these little gems sooner. Bronzy Pink was the one that appealed to me the most. Sadly, it did not look like the online swatch once it was applied. I don't get a any pink at all from this, just very shimmery, golden bronze-nude. Very lovely color, but just not flattering on me. I'll be getting a brighter color next time.
While the shade is not a hit, the formula is pretty much what I want most tinted lip balms to be: Very good color payoff, incredibly smooth application (no patchiness to be seen), extremely moisturizing, good lasting power, and a wonderful vanilla scent that makes it fun to apply. Thanks for introducing me to a drugstore gem, MUA!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2011 12:11:00 PM More reviews by tormlen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was an impulse buy for me. I thought it might be fun, and I usually wear lipstick, so something sheerer might be nice for once. I bought mine in the color cotton candy, which is a very light sparkly pink. It suits me. The most surprising factor of this product, though, was that it is incredibly moisturizing. I never expected to say this, but I think I might like it better than Burt's Bees lipbalm (although they work wonderfully together). This has become my go-to lip balm, and I'm actually almost out. This is a true testament to the product, given that I've only had it for about a month and hardly ever use up lip balms normally. Definitely going to buy more :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2010 5:04:00 PM More reviews by AmyDbaby

Yep, these are good! I finally made it into Sally to pick one up. I ended up with Rosey which turns out isn't the best shade for me but it is beautiful. It's more of a berry to me than Rose yet it's not reading cool toned on me at all. I would call it neutral. It seems highly pigmented, more than I expected and I see from other reviews this color in particular is more pigmented than the others. It's definitely on the darker side and I'm not sure this is a "swipe and go" color but it's certainly very pretty. I'm going back for Berry and maybe Orange too.

These feel great on the lips! I agree they are similar to Buttershines but less greasy maybe. I adore Tarte 24/7 and these balms are much slicker and "balmier" than those (which can be good or bad depending on what you like I guess.) They seem to be pretty moisturizing.

For $4 these are a steal and rival a lot of higher priced products IMO. You should try them!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2011 5:48:00 PM More reviews by candydoll

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I've never had much luck with lip balms as they tend to somehow make my lips drier, which I don't quite understand. So, I've been on the hunt for a lip balm or gloss that is actually moisturizing. I've finally found it! This tinted lip balm feels wonderful on my lips and I love the colors. I bought two, one in golden pink and the other in naturally bronze. I will definitely repurchase when I finish with these! I'd like to try all the colors.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2011 10:18:00 PM More reviews by MARmaladeJay

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

A very moisturizing lip balm. Currently I'm using Golden Pink and it gives just the sheerest wash of pink with a nice golden sheen (For reference, I'm an NC40). I like my lipsticks, but I'm not a huge fan of it so this is a nice alternative. It's compact enough to fit in my purse or pocket like a Chapstick, it's moisturizing, shines like a gloss, and colors like a lipstick. There's no detectable taste. I did minus a lippie because the consistency is a bit soft, not like your average lip balm. If you apply it with a lot of pressure, it could dent this balm. It doesn't affect the product itself. I think I'll pick up more shades at Sally's. With that said, I'll definitely purchase more.