TheBalm Mary-Lou Manizer

4.6

Mica, Isoeicosane, Polyethylene, Boron Nitride, Polyisobutene, PTFE, Silica, Synthetic Wax, Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Iron Oxides CI 77491.

on 5/27/2015 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I do like this highlighter. But I don't think it's the end-all, be-all of highlighters.
GOOD: The champagne color is absolutely gorgeous and works well with my skin. It is indeed finely milled, which is what I'd expect for the price. The shimmer particles are not chunky in any way. This actually wears very well in daylight, I was impressed with how non-chunky it looks up close. Fair amount of product.
NOT SO GOOD: I say only a fair amount of product because of the fallout. The formula is more chalky than creamy, and while it's super easy to pick up, there is a lot of fallout on the compact, sink, etc. I feel like I lose as much as I apply. I've found that moderate buffing either removes the champagne color, or it so closely matches my skin tone that it disappears:( When I buff more than a few strokes, seems like all that's left is primarily the shimmer particles.

Overall I'm glad I got this and I'll use it. No regrets. Just don't think I'd repurchase as its not an HG type of product for me.

*** I did some swatches of my 3 current highlighters. MAC vanilla pigment and lightscapade and the Mary-Lou. The vanilla has the most sheen out of the three, more of a pink gleam and obviously it's the most pigmented and thickest. The Mary Lou has the least amount of obvious shimmer particles and is straight champagne. I actually think lightscapade is very much a cousin of vanilla. A finer, more toned down cousin. Colors are very similar.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

This has been a HG highlighter of so many guruís and I can see why. This is a really beautiful highlighter, the gold pigments perfectly capture the light without looking glittery or chalky, itís also a great eyeshadow. I only own one other highlighter which is macís soft and gentle, and I far prefer this one as itís easier to use and gives a nicer more glowing finish. This can also be built up for a very intense highlighter, itís like the ultimate brow bone and inner corner highlighter for a wedding.

Pro:
Price Ė good value for money, will take ages to go through
Colour Ė perfect highlight
Blendable
Multi-use Ė highlighter, eyeshadow
Packaging - cute and easy

Con: none that I can think of

on 5/21/2015 10:07:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

For very fair skin, this isn't really light enough. My skin is very pale, with pink undertones (nw15 or lighter). So the golden tones in this probably aren't the best for me other than in summer. However, this is beautiful and fair skin tones can still pull it off. It's the kind of product that makes you stop and look twice just to admire the sheen it gives. I also use it as an eyeshadow and occasionally on my inner corner, it's too dark to look natural on my cupids bow as a highlight. Also.. I'm being picky here but some of the shimmers in this can look chunky if you apply too much. However, the price is very good and you do get a ton of product.

on 5/20/2015 12:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

i love this. but id only wear it at night. it is very shimmery. afraid ill look like a glitterbomb in the sunlight but at night its great. i love how its not white but more champagne. suits my nc25/30 skin. oh it shatters very easily though

on 5/10/2015 5:39:00 PM

This is very Vegas-y gold. Doesn't look good in the inner eye and is not subtle at all on my pinky fair skin.

Nars Copacabana is going to last forever and looks luminous, not Vegas-y. For the inner eye, I keep coming back to Physician's Formula Eyebright, which makes me look a little more awake and a little more like Bambi.

on 4/21/2015 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Although a bit pricey, this highlighter is a dream for me! I love everything about it! It's really pigmented, a little goes a long way. I like to apply this with a fan brush and it gives a healthy glow. Doesn't last the entire day (but I don't use primers very often) however it doesnt budge or move around on top of my foundation. My lips are allergic to beeswax and reacts really horribly to it, and this contains beeswax, but my skin didn't have any irritation. I love this!

on 4/12/2015 3:29:00 AM

My favourite highlighter of all time. Has yellow undertone so a Perfect shade for my olive complexion. Looks very natural and feels a light as air. I find liquid highlighters to be too thick, difficult to apply on top of make up as it seems to move the underneath make up. Dont have that problem with this, after applying everything else i just dust a tiny amount over my checks and brow bone. Gives me a natural dewy finish. Doesnt look power like at all. The only problem I had with it was my own doing, didnt know how to use it at the beginning so used toooo much (&went out), looked ultra glittery/shimmery. Its very pigmented so use a very small amount. As you only need so little of it, it should last a long time.

on 4/6/2015 2:11:00 PM

If you apply it with the right brush, this is the BEST highlighter!! I highly recommend bobbi brown eye sweep brush or any eyeshadow blending brush for its application. It gives a little bit shine which looks healthy. You can also use it as an eyeshadow. Don't ever use contour, blush or powder brush if your makeup is daily.

on 4/2/2015 12:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Although I said that I would repurchase, I truly believe that the repurchasing is going to be a long, long time from now...

The product is great, and I have a feeling it's going to last a really long time. It really does give the perfect lit from within glow without over doing it. The powder is pressed in the compact, but I feel like it goes onto a brush very finely. I happen to use a thick fan brush to apply this as a highlighter to my cheekbones, bridge of my nose, center of my forehead and center of my chin. I use a small amount on my finger on my cupid's bow. It truly does a wonderful job of a subtle highlighter...

Highlighters seem to be my obsession right now because as I was organizer my makeup collection I came across 6 of them. I know that this is totally unnecessary and was wondering why I have so many, but I do change it up a lot. Having a few that I like, Mary-Lou seems to be the one I reach for most often, and that is saying a lot about the product. It is not over the top, and if you are looking for an over shine or gleam look, this product is definitely not the one to grab. (MAC soft and gentle as well as Laura Gellar Portofino are very high gloss/shine highlighters.)

Definitely give this one a try (and keep a look out on Hautelook for the product as they frequently sell TheBalm products at discount prices. I have ordered TheBalm products from them on 3 separate occasions and I have always been happy with what was delivered.)

on 4/1/2015 11:11:00 PM

If you're looking for the perfect highlighter, look no further and stop spending on more pricey ones that end up disappointing you.

I am an Asian who is the face of combination skin (i.e. oily T-zone and dry cheeks). Since I mainly use highlighters on the apples of my cheeks, I steered away from powder products because as if the dry skin there isn't bad enough, now I want to pile on some dusty material on it??

I have tried and tested almost all the cult favourites out there and when none of them gave me the glory look, I decided to take a leap of faith with this TheBalm product. I have previously used products from the brand before and relatively liked it so I thought why not? And holy mother of highlighters. I was in love and impressed.

I'll be honest, I did realise that it was a tad bit cakey but I think that's just because my face has pretty obvious pores so it clings on just a little. But I would think that for any other people, this will be a flawless product. It gives off the most gorgeous champagne glow which gives your skin the lit-from-within glow with no sparkles.

If there is one criticism at all, it would be that it doesn't really last me the whole day. However, I think that's because I don't really prep my skin for full makeup (I don't use primer or foundation. Just one very light coat of BB cream).

I should stop raving about this product here and let you guys test it and rave about it yourself! x

Top Rated TheBalm Products