October 31, 2014 | 904 users online

Polishes - Essie - Mint Candy Apple

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2014 7:59:00 PM More reviews by av315

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was a bit skeptical of the great reviews, especially after applying the first coat! The first coat was so splotchy on me, I thought "Essie's trademark is known for their pastels and even their most popular colors have bad formulas". But then I applied the second coat and honestly, it looked perfect. I also hadn't painted my nails in a really long time because I had reverted to biting my nails really bad so I figured they'd be messier than usual due to lack of practice but they looked so good I barely had to do any cleanup (I uploaded a photo pre-cleanup which honestly I think looks pretty amazing considering it's a pic of my right, dominant hand and I hadn't painted my nails in months). So the brush really works for me and the formula is actually great. I probably got about 3 days out of it without noticing a single chip or fading which is average for me although it may have lasted longer since I fiddle with my nails a lot and I force myself to paint them every 3 days anyway to prevent myself from biting them. The color kind of doesn't need recommending since most people love it and there are plenty of pictures. My husband doesn't love it, he says it looks too "neony" but I like it. Overall really great, pleasantly surprised, expensive-ish but I think it's worth it considering how bad most of the pastel formulas are that I've tried from a bunch of different brands. I'd rather pay $8 for a great formula than $4 for a horrible one.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/21/2014 9:50:00 AM More reviews by WoodsCommaElle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the wild card in my nail polish drawer, and I'm still not sure what to do with it. It doesn't know if it wants to be blue or green, but one thing is for sure--it stands out...except I haven't figured out if this is in a good or bad way. I saw a magazine ad for this when it first came out and eagerly stalked all the local stores waiting for it to come in because I was about to tear myself to try it. I'd been looking for a pale green polish, you see; a very pale green that was almost white, and I had a feeling this might finally be it. Well...not really, but it is a very unique color. Can't say I've ever seen anything else like it. On my forever-untanned self it probably doesn't look quite as good as it might on, say, someone with a bit more color but hey, I'm not complaining about that. My biggest issue with this is the application. All other Essie polishes I've tried have a thinner formula that goes on very nicely, but for some reason this one just wants to be lumpy. I've tried doing the thinnest coats I can possible manage, but that still doesn't really do much to ameliorate the situation and I still look like I've got house paint on my fingertips, not nail polish. Maybe I got a bad bottle, or maybe it's operator error--either way, Mint Candy Apple isn't exactly my favorite. However, that doesn't stop me from getting it out from time to time and gathering up the resolve to try it again...and again...and again...

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2014 11:08:00 AM More reviews by alliebeaar

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

love it.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2014 7:40:00 PM More reviews by RedAngelWings

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really want to love this polish but I just can't. First off, I don't like writing completely negative reviews so I'll start out with the positive stuff. A good thing is that mint candy apple is such a fresh, summery color that looks amazing with a tan! I love how this is bright like a white polish would be, but it's way more fun than that.
The color may be great and all, but the formula is horrendous. This polish was so difficult to apply, and it got really streaky and didn't blend together. I had to re-do about three nails for this to look presentable. In the end a nice shiny top coat evened everything out, but what a struggle! This stuff cost me about eight dollars and it so wasn't worth it.
If you want a nice mint nail polish, get it from OPI, they're the best. This formula is just too hard to work with.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2014 8:19:00 AM More reviews by organicmakeupjunkie

Love this color and how well this polish does overall on my nails. It dries super fast (I'm suprised they don't put this in the bottle!), and has great color after one coat (though I prefer a extra bold bright pop of color, so I opt for 2). The only problem I have with this product is the small brush. I prefer the larger flat type of brush that makes it super easy to apply coats evenly. Overall, I highly recommend. I was pleasantly suprised. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 6/10/2014 3:06:00 AM More reviews by Lilybet05

I LOVE this color. It gives a pop of colour, perfect for spring! The color is almost on the verge of a light aqua which is so unique and gorgeous. Although the colour is beautiful the price is not so flattering especially seeing as I needed to apply 3 coats and touch ups after the first day of wearing the lacquer. I was pretty reluctant to buy this polish as it was $20 for a small bottle but all the good reviews made me spend. I found the polish chipped very easily and was sheer to apply though. The polish dries quick and streak free which is a massive plus. I only gave the polish a 3 star rating because I payed quite a bit for a small bottle, I have bought nail polish for a quarter of the price that I would give a 5 star rating too. If it wasn't for the flattering colour I probably wouldn't buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2014 5:07:00 AM More reviews by tash5678dance

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As an avid collector of Essie nail polishes I think 'mint candy apple' is one of the most stunning and funny colours in the range. As an tanned girl the colour really stood out on my nails and gave them a healthy pop of colour. I couldn't find fault I'm the colour at all.

As a teenager who is very involved the color didn't chip in my nails for days ( however I also had a top and base coat). Personally, I applied two coats of the polish for a bit more colour but it's not particularly nescacarry.

I have, and will continue to, recommend it to friends and family members and I strongly recommend it to you guys xx Tash 🎀👌

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2014 2:28:00 AM More reviews by Toyamvs

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

The first time I wore this polish I immediately fell in love with it. It has become one of my top 5 favorites. It looks so pretty against my skin tone. I loved it so much that I bought a second bottle. Which is kind of extreme for nail polish but I am polish addict. My only complaint is that the formula is on the thick side which I don't like, but I've noticed that's the usual with these chalky pastel colors. Kinda like OPI Mod About You. But I love pastel nail colors. I would recommend trying this and you most likely won't be disappointed. I can't wait to wear it on my toes.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/21/2014 5:27:00 AM More reviews by Victoria44

When first applying the polish I noticed the brush was very small and after the first coat was very streaky on my nails. However, once a second coat and top coat is applied the polish evened out. On the shelf the colour looks much more mint then when I painted it on my nails but nonetheless a beautiful colour. When applied with a good base and top coat (I used Barry M) the nail polish remained chip free for 5-6 days.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/21/2014 3:33:00 AM More reviews by misshamilton

Maybe its just not great on my skin tone, but I have to say I was really excited to buy Mint Candy Apple and I was a bit disappointed. Its really more blue than anything, and I was hoping for more of a mint. Its even close to Ferris Wheel by Ciate which is a lovely sky blue, only it's brighter has more of a pop. Id say the formula for this polish is better than most of Essie's other colors and it seems to dry faster for whatever reason. My final verdict is that although its nice to have in my collection, it's not my favourite.