Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair

4.4

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I never have a bad hair day when I rinse my hair with ACV. This stuff adds shine, and weirdly I think this moisturizes my hair.

I have done different methods...sometimes I shampoo/condish regularly, then rinse out with ACV at the ends of my shower. Sometimes I will just use ACV. I've gotten great results both ways.

This was one of those pinterest things that I wasn't sure really worked, and I was pleasantly surprised that this delivers!

The important difference between Bragg's and plain ACV, is that Bragg's has the "mother" (beneficial enzymes), that is destroyed in processing with regular ACV. I'd rather have that in my body than rinse down the drain, so I put a teaspoon of Bragg's in lemon water to drink. I use regular ol' ACV for my hair, and still get great results.

This is an economical product to keep in your beauty stash. It is great to use as a toner, or a hair rinse, or as a laundry booster (true story!). It is inexpensive, but you end up diluting it anyway, so it lasts a good amount of time. I like Bragg's in particular because it is organic, but any one will do.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is a great remedy for when your hair is being dry, funky, and lacking shine, especially if accompanied by an oily scalp. It has to be seriously diluted if you have very dry or porous hair -- to give you an idea, I use a half litre empty coke bottle, fill the bottom with ACV (till it fills the four sections), and top it of with water. If you've ever made candy or sugar wax, it will have the color of sugar that is just beginning to caramelize (light gold). Perfect!

I dump this in after shampooing and massage into my scalp, and leave it for 5 minutes or so while I soap, shave, etc. Then it's a great opportunity to 'scritch' all the flakes and product residue from the scalp (gross, but sometimes necessary). The ACV loosens it and it comes off in a snap. I then choose to rinse it off, because my hair holds on to odors.

It leaves my hair seriously shiny and my scalp balanced. I still have to use a leave-in conditioner for detangling, but nothing else. With my scalp clean and hair residue-free, nature's best conditioner (sebum) has a chance to distribute through the hair daily. The result is shiny, nourished hair and a normalized scalp -- no more oily scalp with thirsty hair!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I actually don't use this in my hair, instead I use it as a toner mixed with lemon juice and distilled water, if my skin is misbehaving I add in a crushed disprin tablet and to take the stink out of the stuff, I use a couple of drops my fav essential oil.
This is made fresh but will keep in your fridge for a good couple of days- lemon juice has amazing whitening action while ACV is high in mandelic acid- great for blemish prone skin, I don't use it every night as my toner but alternate with my rosewater toner- works brilliantly at keeping skin clear and fading old scars.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I really wanted to love this but I can't.It just doesn't work for me,did nothing to improve my hair,even if it did I wouldn't use it because I can't stand that smell.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I tried this today. Today is day 3 post hair wash. My hair was slightly itchy and oily on my scalp (I usually wash my hair every 3 days but my hair tip becomes dry so I want to hold off). I decided to do ACV rinse instead. I mixed 100 ml water and 1/2 to 3/4 tablespoon of ACV. I wetted my hair, then poured the solution all over my scalp and the rest of my hair. Put on shower cap and waited for 5 mins. I rinsed it and my scalp was still a bit oily but I still didn't use shampoo. However, my hair was soft after rinsing the ACV. I still put in my usual conditioner (although didn't need to). After my hair dries, it's not itchy anymore, and the oil on my scalp decreases (not completely gone). I guess it doesn't strip hair's natural oil, unlike regular shampoos. I also put on leave in conditioner on my damp hair and happy with the results so far. Will update again!

PS. my hair is chemically dyed permanent. It's lightened to brown. Did not notice colour run or anything.

UPDATE: I use regularly now whenever I wash my hair (every 4 days). So I shampoo, rinse with water, dump the diluted ACV, wait for 5 mins, then rinse, and put on some conditioner and rinse again. I feel that the ACV really balances out my scalp as my shampoo is alkaline and our scalp isn't. I still need to shampoo to get rid of the gunks and oils. When I did the ACV rinse only, my head doesn't feel "clean". So I still use shampoo.

UPDATE 10/12/2015: My new detangler!!! Okay 5 days ago, I found my hair was still tangled pretty badly, although using a conditioner too, and not as soft and shiny as everyone talks about after using ACV rinse. Everyone's hair is different, the ratio I used above 100 mls with 3/4 tbs ACV didn't do anything to my hair although it worked well on the scalp. So I researched online and found that it is a great detangler. Online reviews said that scalp is slight more acidic than skin. So I mix 50 ACV:50 water and spray it all over my damp hair in hopes to get the tangles out. It helped tremendously albeit losing quite lots of hair in the process (well it was tangled pretty bad, so it could've been worse and it was much less painful than without using it). The smell gone after my hair dried. So today, I washed my hair (yes I know now I can wash it in the span of 5 days and ACV has helped loads in balancing my scalp), and my ACV rinse is 50ACV:50 water. I shampooed, rinse with water, put ACV on my scalp then the rest of my hair and top it with conditioner at the same time. I showered, then lastly, rinsed it all off with cold water. Put on towel and while it's still damp, apply a little bit of coconut oil on the ends of hair. I slept with it until about 95% dry then brushed my hair. Some hair falls but it detangled easily and no pain! My hair is so soft and shiny! LOVE it!

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I have been using ACV for my hair off and on for a few years now and have recently started using it again. I unfortunately developed an itchy scalp; I tried switching shampoos, and nothing worked. I then did some research and found ACV helps with that. After I am done shampooing and conditioning, I pour some ACV onto my scalp, rub it in, and let it set. It is a miracle worker. I do this every few days, and it gets rid of the itches. This saved me from scratching out my hair.

This is also great for a facial toner. I let the AV run down my face and body when I rinse. Makes everything soft. :)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Sorry, this did not work for me! I wish I'd never tried it, I'm supposed to go out in the next hour and I'm embarrassed to because it made my hair smell like sour farts. And as for the benefits to my hair, I barely noticed any, maybe this would work on already healthy virgin hair from the 1800s but not on my blonde overprocessed hair! Never again! Now I stink, and my hair feels dry and a weird texture, like rope or wood, I hope it goes back to normal after I wash it again! :(

I use this and baking soda about once a week on my hair. The solution that works best for my 2b thick hair is 2 tbsps of ACV with 1 cup water. This leaves my hair soft, shiny, and tangle-free. It's especially awesome because while the baking soda definitely deep cleans my hair, it dries it out a lot, too. So following it with ACV rinse is perfect because it gets that moisture back right away. You can't get much cheaper for such good quality!

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Long story short I suffer from scalp psoriasis, I have thyroid issues and all the meds and imbalances gives me a very dry, irritated scalp that actually peels sometimes. Needless to say my hair isn't always very shiny or manageable and it sheds a lot.. I read about the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar for hair a while ago and in my local health food store I found a bottle and used it that night and I have never gotten better results from any other product in my life. If you're using it for your hair/skin remember it needs to be RAW ORGANIC and UNFILTERED. It needs to contain what's called "the mother" which is basically the nutrients that is filtered out in other apple cider vinegars. I apply it by mixing half the vinegar, half water into a spray bottle and I spritz it all through my scalp and whatever is left I put on my hair and ends. I leave it in for 15 mins top, remember it is very acidic so you don't want to leave this on too long. Then I get into the shower and I like to shampoo twice, the scent is very strong and shampooing twice seems to do the trick of getting out any smell. Sometimes I use a conditioner but most of the time it isn't necessary because the vinegar does such a great job of detangling and conditioning itself. This is also great for removing product buildup that can happen in the scalp from using oils, styling products, heavy conditioners ect. Really gets the scalp clean without dehydrating it. I did this routine once a week for about a month and my scalp has changed dramatically! No more itchiness, no more redness, no more flakes and my hair hasn't been shedding as much. I take my showers at night and the next morning my hair is so shiny and soft! As smooth as my satin sheets. It's so easy to brush through and I just want to touch it all day. My friends started telling me how shiny it was all through the week. I've tried so many shampoos for scalp problems and this is the only thing that has ever worked for me. I found mine at Whole Foods for about 6 dollars I got 16 oz worth of product. All in all, I will be using this forever, its saved my scalp and saved my hair. The price you can't beat, I'd pay 16 dollars for this stuff considering the results. So impressed!

TLDR;
-great for irritated scalps that suffer from dandruff, psoriasis or product buildup.
-conditions, detangles and ads shine and softness to the hair.
-best used once a week for 15 mins, rinse and shampoo twice to get rid of the smell.
-mix together half vinegar and half water so it's not too acidic or too strong.
-available mostly at health food stores; whole foods, fresh market, or where organic foods are sold.
-16oz bottle runs around 6-10 dollars. One bottle lasted me about 4-6 months.
-All around a 10/10 product.

Popular Hair Products