Kat Von D Tattoo Liner

4.3

Water, Ammonium Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Butylene, Glycol, Alcohol, Beheneth-30, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer, Methylparaben, Polygylceryl-3 Disiloxane Dimethicone, Propylparaben, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium Edta, Carbon Black.

on 7/30/2015 1:23:00 PM

This eyeliner stepped up my liner game big time. It is so easy to do winged eyeliner with this brush - the bristle tip is great because it's so precise. And it's so, so long-lasting. I've slept with it on and had minimal smudging. And it doesn't flake off at all.

The only downside is that it doesn't have perfect pigmentation - sometimes I need two coats of the product to make it as black as I like. It's a more matte black too, which I like better than shiny liner.
Even though this product is 20-23 dollars, it's worth it because it's exponentially better than any drugstore liner I've tried!

on 7/17/2015 12:47:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have tried both of Kat Von D's liquid liner formulas, and they are both pretty much the same with minor exceptions. This one is my favorite, but they are both spectacular liners.
I always purchase mine in black. This is a very dark, mostly matte black liquid liner.
This liner has a great brush tip that is very easy to control. This makes it easy to draw a straight line as thick or as thin as you want!
Lasting power on this is amazing. It last all day, through sweat and some tears. I remove with Mac cleanse off oil in the evening.
All in all, I will continue to repurchase as long as this is being made.

on 7/14/2015 3:19:00 AM

I am on thelook out for profucts that enhance these blue almond eyed with a weird slant.. Kat vpm D has been i great durpticsr. Now I just want some pencils to blend under the bottom lash lines

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Best eyeliner EVER! Prior to using this, I used the Rimmel Exaggerate Liquid Liner, which lasted pretty well on my oily eyelids but had a felt tip that got dull and really hard to control very quickly. I also used the Maybelline Studio Master Precise Ink Pen Eyeliner--didn't stay as well on my eyelids but had a little better precision. However, the Maybelline's felt tip also got dull pretty quickly. With both the Rimmel and the Maybelline, doing my eyeliner took forever because I would use the eyeliner and then have to erase half of it with a Q-tip to get the desired look because the applicators were dull/imprecise/not easy to control.

I don't have that problem at ALL with this Kat Von D liner. I think the tip is actually made of very fine, small, densely packed bristles so it's actually a kind of triangular brush tip as opposed to a felt tip. Since it is a brush and not a felt tip, I'm anticipating that it won't get dull like the Maybelline and Rimmel. It applies just as I want and need it to and the precision is amazing. Staying power is GREAT --no smudging or anything all day during this summer heat. Doing my eyeliner (classic winged on the outer half of my lids) now probably takes me 30 seconds to do, as opposed to the 4-5 minutes it used to.

I did hesitate a bit before buying it because it's more expensive than the drugstore liners I've used, but it is well worth the money for those with very oily eyelids. I'd rather spend $18 on this liner than have to continually buy new, cheap, crappy drugstore liners.

Make sure to get the Tattoo Liner and not the Ink Stay. They look very similar packaging-wise, but the latter appears to have terrible reviews.

Packaging is nice--the cap goes onto the "pen" part with a satisfying click that feels very secure--no worries about the cap falling off and the pen bleeding everywhere.

on 7/10/2015 3:12:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I've purchased this liner over many times now and it's hands down the best liquid eyeliner out there. The closest I've found to this is the dolly wink liner, which was more pigmented but harder to control, took longer to dry, and wasn't quite as smudge proof. The brush tip on the tattoo liner gives you the finest point and the formula dries to a true matte black. It does not budge all day long (though breaks up easily with cleansing oil or mycellar water) and if you rub your finger over your liner after it dries, it will not smudge! My only qualms with this product is that it is pretty pricey for a liner and since I keep this in my makeup bag, the writing on the packaging always fades off to nothing. On the other hand, I don't go through these too often because they do not dry out and I don't really care about seeing the label on my eyeliner.

on 7/8/2015 9:50:00 AM

This is a staple for me. I've gone through at least 5 of 'em. Dark, easy to apply, lasts all day -- yet not too difficult to remove at night. I consider this midpriced (will pay the $$ for something that works, especially on liquid liner, which is a "daily use" item for me). Also, the tube lasts a long time without drying out. I vastly prefer this felt tip (Kat Von D also offers a brush tip liquid liner, which I sometimes get by accident -_-).

It's not perfect, I'm sure I could do better, but for the money and ease-of-use, this is perfect for me. The main cons are that it does take a few swipes to get the darkest black this product has to offer, and though the fine tip is great, it can be a little *too* fine and flexible, causing a shaky line.

-Definitely better than ANY drugstore liquid liner I've tried (a lot)
-Easier to use than gels (don't have to find/use/clean a brush)
-$21, which isn't cheap, but it's not terrible
-Can fade slightly, but doesn't flake off in chunks, either during the day or when removing at night. Doesn't stick to your lashes either (looking at you, Stila)

Overall: highly recommend.

on 7/7/2015 1:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've been using this for a few months now and I do really like it for going out. For me it doesn't last as long as it claims to (definitely have to reapply if I want it to make it through a work day), but it's super easy to apply and it makes an instant impact. I have really dark eyes and I'm big on eyeliner to make them pop, and this stuff is powerful.

That said, I've definitely used Maybelline versions of roughly the same product that are half the cost and only a little less awesome.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

The liner is wonderful for my hooded eyelids! The colour is rich and never needs re-application or touch ups. It stays put until I wash off my makeup with makeup remover, and even then it needs a bit of scrubbing off. I love the applicator for the thinness of the tip and the price isn't bad either!

on 6/30/2015 12:10:00 AM

Pros: stays on ALL NIGHT, through the rain and wind, nice packaging. Very black after layering the colour. But the real stars go to how it stays put and doesn't smudge all night - especially on my concealer!

Cons: The formula is "stickier" than I'm used to - perhaps this is why it stays on so well so I'm not necessarily deducting points for that. My major gripe is that one swipe over the eyelid is comes off translucent and greyish - not a bold black line upon first swipe. This means I need to go over the line again, which creates a higher chance of mistakes. And since it doesn't budge, it's really a huge pain to have to wipe off the deformed wing with make up remover, wait for the area to dry, and try again.

Overall, I would repurchase it as it is the only liner I've come across that doesn't smudge. Max number of hours I've worn it close to 8 without reapplying necessary.

on 6/28/2015 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse

Wow. I very rarely feel compelled to write a review slamming a particular product but this one is just so horrible that I can't help it. Kat Von D's tattoo liner is one of those cult favorite products that everyone and their mother seems to revere. When it comes to cult products in general, I'm usually able to either a) appreciate the product as much as the impassioned masses or b) understand why it's so popular even if it's not my favorite thing ever. This liner is the first product where I can do neither. I find it so terrible that I'm almost convinced the popularity of this product has to do with carefully planted advertising under the guise of bloggers by the brand itself. (Okay, I know that's probably not true but I can't understand why something this shockingly bad is so beloved.)

When you hear people talk about this liner words and phrases such as "bold," "long-lasting," "smudgeproof," "blacker than black," "easy to work with" are trotted out. I find this liner none of these things. When applied to my eyelids, this liner is more of a darkened gray, similar in depth to something like MAC's Smut eyeshadow. I find I need to go over any lines or wings I make with it about 2-3 times in order to get it to an acceptably dark shade. As I go over the liner, however, it has a tendency to drag color I just deposited--think goopy nail polish that pulls away from the cuticle as you bring the brush down your nail. If I allow the liner to dry down before going over it, it flakes off entirely and I'm left with an effectively de-lined eye. WTH? Should I finally get the liner on, looking acceptably close to black, then it smudges and/or fades an hour into wearing it. I have oily eyelids but I always wear NARS' primer underneath which keeps my eyeshadow and all other liners I have ever tried bulletproof. Not so for KVD. My wings turn into gray blobs at the corners of my eyes while my eyeshadow still looks as fresh as when I first applied it. WTH?[2] And to add insult to injury, my liner seems to be drying out already and I've had it less than one week. WTH?[3]

I store this thing upside down, like all my other liquid liners, so that the color goes toward the tip. I shake it vigorously before I apply, like all my other liquid liners. I remove any gunk from the brush before application to ensure the color deposits itself on my lid, like all my other liquid liners. I've tried different combinations of products with it--different primers, different eyeshadow bases, different shadow formulas--and the same things happen to me every time. I've tried it every trick and tip I've read from reviews on how to get this thing to work for me and it always fails. I can only surmise that the KVD line has piss poor quality control and I got a dud, or this product is all hype.

If this product is your HG I'm so happy for you and hope you continue to enjoy it. Personally, I'll stick to Stila Stay All Day liquid liner which is actually "bold," "long-lasting," "smudgeproof," "blacker than black," and "easy to work with" for me.

Top Rated Kat Von D Products