December 22, 2014 | 1836 users online

Top/Base Coats - Essie - Matte About You

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2014 2:56:00 AM More reviews by emmapalmer4

At first it gives a great matte look. After a few days it wears off. Over all great product and would buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2014 10:45:00 PM More reviews by PinkDahlia119

very very very matte. really good to create that matte effect- makes nails super dry looking. I cannot speak for the wear of the product... as I can't get any polish or top coat to last more than 24 hours on me!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2014 1:00:00 PM More reviews by sarahmcbride

I've never really been into matte nails, but this product does work really well at creating a smooth, matte nail.

I use this with pastel nail colours that are normally very thick and streaky. Layering the colours over the matte nail polish creates a nice smooth surface and prevents streaks. Just be sure to let the matte coat dry completely before putting more colour on. Base coat, colour, matte coat, colour, top coat.

If you have any pastels that are streaky and hard to work with, try this!! It works great.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2014 2:54:00 PM More reviews by Dimanta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is great matte top coat. I absolutely love it. Tried Revlon before but this is way better. One coat works perfectly.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/17/2013 11:28:00 PM More reviews by JaneChemi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

i heard really good things about this so i finally gave in and tried it out. it did leave my nails extremely matte but only for a day. in the morning they were shiny again so the results aren't lasting. second of all i got the white lumps people are talking about on the first use. i thought i was using it wrong but now i see i'm not the only one. i will never cheat on my HG matte topcoat again. Warpaint Beauty Matte Topcoat (from Hot Topic)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2013 10:35:00 AM More reviews by Patrilicious

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is excellent!!!! I haven't arrived at the half bottle to see if the product changes. But for now i'm enjoying the results and is fabulous. Very satisfied.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2013 10:24:00 AM More reviews by shescrafty72

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Don't waste your money on inexpensive matte top coats, this one is worth every penny. I've purchased other brands that do not perform as well as this one, with this type of product you get what you pay for. One coat does the job, I'm talking chalk board matte finish, where less expensive brands leave my nails with a satin finish and never as matte as this one. I even believe this acts as a quick dry top coat too which is a bonus and I've had the same bottle for almost 2 years without it becoming to thick to use. Highly Recommended product!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2013 6:31:00 PM More reviews by Lirong

Beat matte top coat. Makes a matte finish to every nail polish- even if it is not essie's.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/13/2013 11:57:00 PM More reviews by HeyKatj

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

For me this top coat does its job..
-It makes your nails matte (unlike some other ones that doesn't really mattify the nail polish; actually makes it look ashy and dull looking)
- it dries really fast
- makes your nails look matte fast

However...
- I hate the fact that I have to put quite a lot of product on to your nails just to make it matte
- the consistency of it isn't smooth.
- It's like when you put on the polish from the bottom of your nails and swiping it upwards the polish will just finnish off halfway before you can coat your whole entire nails. And in the end it is just making me have to take more product to go and coat the whole nail.
- And if you go over the polish several times, it'll make your coloured polish looking really streaky and gross.
- IT WILL FADE so fast! The matte effect will start to look shiny after 2 days and will become shiny after a week

Price wise, it is quite pricey but I'd buy it anyway since you can use this on top of any nail polishes and other matte top coats that I tried doesn't really make my nails matte.

I do other nail polish and product reviews here! :D

I hope that it helps
Cheers xx

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2013 7:49:00 PM More reviews by fashionfreak678

Bought this in a set with Essie Wicked a few years ago and LOVED it! With just one coat your nail is completely shine-free, a true matte finish rather than satin. Gives any polish you own a fresh new look. Becomes thicker and thicker over time, but that is to be expected with any top coat or base coat. The only con I have is, like the reviewer below me, about halfway through the bottle little hard white spots were left on my nails after application. I didn't have nail polish thinner at the time so I used acetone to thin it out and it didn't help, so I had to throw it away because it was useless at that point. I haven't repurchased since then, but I will soon. If the same problem happens again, I'll try using Orly's nail polish thinner to see if it dissolves those white things and will update this review.