Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash

2.8

Active: Salicylic Acid (2%), Other: Water, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Disodium EDTA, Benzalkonium Chloride , Yellow 5, Red 40, Fragrance 07/2013

This product worked wonderful for me as a teenager. I am 24 now and since I remembered loving it before I figured I would give it another try. Big mistake! It made my face dry and super irritated. If you are a teen or have oily skin that isn't sensitive it make work for you though.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I just finished a bottle of Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash ($6) & while it isn't the best product I've used to maintain my acne, I did see a bit of improvement in the weeks of use. Like a lot of facial cleansers that treat & cure acne, it's oil-free & contains salicylic acid (2%). The issue I have with this product is that it's not effective for people with bad, severe, &/or adult acne. This cleanser is just too gentle for the sake of not irritating or drying out skin. I'm sure that sounds odd & people will be like, 'that is a good thing' but if you have acne in your early twenties like I do, & if you have oily skin genetically, you know that you need something that gets the excess oil from your skin & not just the oil on the surface—that means something that's likely a little more drying for the fact that we need it.

'What are you talking about?' I'm sorry! I know. Let me explain: if you're someone like me who has to use cleaners with the highest amount of salicylic acid as opposed to 0.5% & 1%, something that cleanses the surface of my skin but doesn't remove the excess oil just kind of allows the cycle to continue. The oil produced on my face clogs my pores & causes breakouts, & cleansers that treats my skin like it doesn't have enough oil to put in a frying pan will not work as well as I need it to. It'll work, but not amazingly well… don't expect miracles.

I recommend this product to people who only occasionally break out or women who are having hormonal days; if you have severe acne, oily/very oily skin, or adult acne, this might be too "soft" for you.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I haven't used this stuff in forever and now I remember why! It doesnt work!

on 7/15/2015 3:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I don't know why there is so much hate for this product! I'm the girl who has tried EVERYTHING for her acne and I know what works and what doesn't. I guess some people may think a face wash alone is supposed to wave its magic wand and make the acne go away and to that I say HECK TO THE NO. After testing soooooo many products on my acne since I've had it I found that Neutrogena's wash alone with their 3 in 1 spot treatment works best for me. Now that only controlled my acne best of all the products and recently I got prescription acne treatment and this is the wash I use with it. If this wash with the spot treatment doesn't work for you get prescription cause nothing else will work. Trust me I have used everything.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

At first this product seemed to make my face feel clean, and note that I am extremely oily!! After 3 or 4 day I had dry patches around my mouth and nose. I decided maybe to massage it for less time and continued using it for another 2 weeks. My nose started to peel and the dryness spread. Not only did it make my skin dry it broke me out. Even my mom was telling me to go back to what I was using before which was only a bar of ivory soap. Of course it won't break everyone out, we all have different skin types that's just what happened to me. I do NOT recommend this product.

on 6/27/2015 5:26:00 PM

worst.thing.EVER!!!! dried my skin out so fast, I was flakey and itchy and it even hurt in a few places

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

i bought this product with such high hopes and used it the day i bought it. when i woke up the next morning i had tine white bumps (white heads?) all around my mouth and some on my forehead and cheeks i thought some cleansers take a while to get used to so i used it for another 2 days but I couldn't handle it anymore and stopped using it as my face felt really yuk and irritated. my face has always been oily but after i started using this my face felt reallyyy dry! which felt really weird as I've never had dry skin even my eyelids and lips were reallyy dry. so I bought the cetaphil cleanser and the white bumps dissappeard in two days.

on 6/3/2015 7:06:00 PM

I felt like this product was a bit over drying for me. Would not repurchase.

on 5/19/2015 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this product for years. It is amazing at keeping my acne under control.
I have never had terrible acne but I've had persistent and annoying trouble spots throughout the years. Anyway, this wash really keeps my skin clear for at least 5 years now. It is incredibly drying (I would not use if you have sensitive skin) so I always moisturize before bed, and in the morning.

on 5/9/2015 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This product didnt do too much for my current breakouts in terms of reducing them, but it did improve the rest of my skin.
After exfoliating with st. ives scrub, I washed my face with this face wash, and my skin felt a lot smoother with the duo (as opposed to just exfoliating).
The facewash also works really well as a makeup remover.