April 20, 2014 | 1390 users online

Makeup Brushes - Hakuhodo - Brushes

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2014 4:44:00 AM More reviews by stacyavdeeva

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a long review. So hold tight. I have a lot of brushes to talk about.
FACE BRUSHES:
K002: $82, blue squirrel hair. I use this for loose powder application. Ridiculously soft and picks up the right amount of powder. Has a large, rounded paddle shape. Most expensive brush I have.
K022: $36, black goat hair. I use this for bronzer application. Picks up a good amount of product and the unique paddle shape and size of this brush makes bronzer application easy. Not super soft, but not scratchy either. The brush does have a tendency to spread out, so I would recommend drying this in a brush guard to hold its shape.
G5545: $48, blue squirrel and black goat hair. I use this for blush application for very pigmented blushes. The blue squirrel mix makes it ideal for pigmented blushes because it doesnít pick up a lot of product. The shape is relatively flat and rounded off at the top.
B512: $60, blue squirrel and black goat hair. I use this for blush application for very pigmented blushes. The shape is angled and denser than the G5545. They are built for the same purpose, but for me, I prefer the B512 due to the angled shape. Itís also softer than the G5545. However, itís more on the expensive side for a blush brush.
B110: $46, black goat hair. I use this for blush application for sheer blushes. The goat hair and denseness of this brush helps pick up lots of product for sheer blushes. It does have a tendency to spread out, so dry with a brush guard. It has a rounded off, full shape and is fairly soft.
G5521: $34, blue squirrel and black goat hair. I use this for contour application. The shape is tapered and has a small size, perfect for nose and cheekbone contouring. Picks up a fair amount of product and blends it out very nicely. Soft and keeps shape well.

EYE BRUSHES:
J214: $35, white goat hair. This is the brush I most regret purchasing. I thought it would be great for under eye concealer but its a little bulky and natural hair doesnít blend out concealer as nicely as synthetic. Itís too big for my small eyelids to be an eye brush. So it just sits in my stand, unused.
J5523: $18, white goat hair. The MAC 217 dupe but much better. Great for blending out eye shadow or placement. Definite must purchase if thinking about buying from Hakuhodo.
J142: $18, white goat hair. Slightly longer hairs and tapered compared to the J5523. I use this for applying a matte crease wash.
J146: $17, white goat hair. The smaller sibling of the J142. If you have smaller eyes, I would recommend getting this one. The hair is about the same length but the head is not as big or as tapered. Great for applying focused crease color.
J5529: $16, white goat hair. Smaller hairs than all the brushes above. Rounded tip and size makes this ideal for applying a dark outer-v shade, especially for smaller eyes. I would recommend using a brush guard to preserve the shape.
G5529: $21, blue squirrel hair. Even though numbers are the same, the G5529 is more tapered than the J5529 and not as dense. Softer and holds its shape better. I personally use this as an inner corner highlight brush due to the softness and precision I get from it.
G5523: $26, blue squirrel hair. Softer, picks up less product, and less dense than the J5523. Even though this is an eye shadow brush, I use this for setting concealer under the eye because itís soft and the right size.
G5528: $29, blue squirrel hair. Soft and has short hairs that taper to a tip. I use this for application to the outer 1/3 of the eye. This and the J5529 serve the same purpose, but I would reach for this if I want a lighter wash of color or something not as precise. I use the J5529 more. I expected the brush to spread out, yet it kept its shape due to the hair. Wish it was more dense.
G5520: $21, blue squirrel and horse hair. I use this for applying eye shadow to the lower lash line as this is a very soft pencil brush. I was afraid the horse hair would make this brush scratchy, but itís soft and the horse hair just adds a firmness and density to the brush.
G522: $18, weasel. Very small push-style liner brush with longer hairs and flexibility. I bought this for gel eyeliner, but too thick for that. Itís too small for eyebrow work, but I have found some success in pin-point concealing.
J163: $18, horse hair. I find this brush not firm enough and too dense for eyebrow application. I was expecting something like the MAC 208 but smaller. This was too soft and flexible for what I wanted. It does work nicely for applying powder eyeliner to your eye.

I have posted more in-depth reviews for the brushes that have their own pages. All in all, Hakuhodo brushes are really outstanding in terms of quality and craftsmanship. The prices vary. Iím a college student, so I stayed with plain black detailing and saved a few bucks. If you order a good amount, they come with a purple box or if you order a couple, they come in a white sleeve.
However, shipping. A $9 flat rate in the U.S. seems steep. I wish they charged depending on where you live because it takes one business day for them to arrive due to being in the same state and on how much the package weighs. The brush handles are small. This comes down to preference. The Hakuhodo inscription on the handles starts to wear off with use (but as with MAC too).
Finally, if you are ready to invest in these brushes, please take care of them. I personally use The Laundress Wool & Cashmere Shampoo (ordered from Amazon). Itís 100% biodegradable and sulfate/phosphate/dye free. Iíve used baby shampoo, a concoction of olive oil and detergent, and Dr. Bronnerís soaps, but this is simply the best. It leaves my brushes clean, but most importantly it makes them so, so soft, not like any washing method Iíve done before. Do not use harsh chemicals on these brushes, especially the ones with blue squirrel hair. Use luke warm water and dry them upside down and use brush guards when/if you can.
All the best!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2014 3:40:00 PM More reviews by AJ6488

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Hakuhodo definitely makes the best makeup brushes in the world! I recently replaced all my brushes to Hakuhodo after reading all the glory reviews about this brand, and I have to say aren't all you guys right, I don't think I will ever have the need to switch brand again.

The quality of the brushes are superb, although it's also the maker of mac brushes, the quality is uncomparable. The hakuhodo brush looks, feels super luxurious while the mac brush, well... it's just a makeup brush that many brands can easily compare to, and it's definitely over priced for its quality. Also I don't think you need to spend fortune on the S100 Series only for the art work on the brush handle (except for personal collections), if you are only looking for a really good makeup brush, you can find top quality brushes with reasonable price from the J and G series (most are lower priced than mac). It's a shame that hakuhodo is not as well known as those commercial brands like mac or bobbi brown, etc... otherwise people can stop wasting their money on paying the extra for commercials and spend on some thing truly offers its value. I'm so grateful that I discovered this brand on MUA, hopefully more people can find a good use of hakuhodo brushes like I do.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2013 3:16:00 PM More reviews by youwillneverfindme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

"J602 Slide Face Angled brush". It's a portable/retractable angled contour brush made of white goat hair. I've used it for two weeks so far.

MY THOUGHTS:
In my world, MAC's 168 is my perfect brush, so it sets the benchmark for my comparisons. I bought the Hakuhodo J602 in hopes of it substituting for my 168 while on the road. Overall, I'm lukewarm to the brush: It isn't quite as springy as I would ideally like, it feels cheap in the hand due to it's lightweight plastic housing and I feel like I have to pick up a lot more product than I'm used to, to get the color payoff that I want. However, it's super compact size, nice blending ability, nice feel on the face and protective case make it a tolerable substitute for my MAC 168 when on the road. Would I repurchase?--probably not. The expense in combination with the cheap in-hand feel of the J602 and Hakuhodo's unfriendly return policy would make the company an option of last resort in my book (seriously, where else can you find a decent angled, retractable blush brush?). I'm an investment buyer...I treat my items well and expect my more pricey items to last years...and this brush is no exception. We'll see how it holds up and I will absolutely update my review if anything changes.

BRUSH DESCRIPTION:
-Measurements at the bulkiest point are taken with the cap on, as if you were traveling with it in your bag: 9.5 cm long, about 3.5 cm wide and about 2.25 cm deep at the cap.
-The base of the brush is about 3 cm wide and about 2 cm deep.
-The overall brush length (including the bristles) while in use is 13 cm.
-Brush head is made of seemingly high quality, soft white goat hair and is about 4 cm tall (maybe just a hair shorter). No problems with shedding.
-Brush housing is made of black plastic which makes the brush extremely lightweight overall, and, unfortunately, cheap feeling. I feel like I need to be careful with it when using it. "HAKUHODO" is engraved into the cap with silver holographic pain. There is plain, black, elevated text on the bottom of the brush: "MADE IN JAPAN" on the first line and "PAT.P" on the second...no one will see this.

PRICE:
$42 + $9 USPS priority shipping = $51. That's a pricey brush. Shipping was timely.

PACKAGING:
The brush came nicely packaged in a USPS priority box. Inside was a small package wrapped in tissue paper containing the brush in a beautiful pearly-champagne box with "HAKUHODO" embossed in simple silver holographic type and some inserts (one explaining how to care for the brush and that it will probably only last 3-5 years).

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2013 11:08:00 AM More reviews by midnitedesire

just some general thoughts on these brushes are all extremely good quality, felt very soft against the skin and very well made.
They have a variety of hair types ,shapes that you can choose and available for purchase online from Hakuhodo USA

if you're looking for very good quality brushes ,I would totally recommend it
The customer service was very responsive to all questions and special requests I had and they had super fast shipping

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2013 11:16:00 PM More reviews by misspeke

I have being eyeing these Japanese brushes for a while and bit the bullet last minute and went to Sydney IMATS. So glad I did as it was good to feel the brushes before committing to buy. Loved the pure blue squirrel brushes, so went a little nuts and got 11 brushes. They are so amazing, I could barely feel them on my eye lid, not like the scratchy Mac 226 which I paid twice as much for.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2013 10:33:00 AM More reviews by CrimsonLips

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have a few brushes from Hakuhodo,
And like everyone else's reviews I agree these are SOFT and very well made. Most of brushes are very reasonably priced, if you go for the less expensive series. I purchased mine in the Torrance CA show room and I asked the sales person why such a big price jump( of 20 dollars or more) for brush heads that look the same.. She said that the brush handle is what you are paying extra for, the brush heads are the same. So I always check to make sure to buy from he cheaper series as I am really only interested in the function of the brush NOT aesthetics. My only recommendation would be to immediately brush on clear nail polish on the logo/model number that is on the brush handle after opening. I love the holographic logo and do this to all my brushes so it doesn't wear off( which it will, and quickly) other than that these brushes are highly recommended!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2013 2:21:00 AM More reviews by meluvcosmetics

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

Alright, I'm no good in giving precise review on brushes.
I only know they are good brushes when they feel so soft on my face and don't shed like crazy (shedding one hair once every 3 days or so is not shedding, right?).
Haduhodo Brushes are not available in Singapore but they recently had a 5-day promotion in a department store, yes, just 5 days in Singapore.
I bought J602 Slide Face Angled brush - to be used on the go, and for powder touch, especially my T-zone and the sides of my nose. This brush does these beautifully.
I also bought B100BkSL Finishing Brush Angled - actually I don't really have the need for this brush as I think this is mainly for highlighting. I just use this and brush all over my face after my make to remove any excess powder including along jaw and hairline and my neck. Just feeling something so luxurious on my face is enough to make me invest in this brush.

Overall, I am extremly happy with these two purchases, and will re-buy in a heartbeat if I need to.

Oh, I was lucky to get some first hand tips in looking after these brushes. As I said, my purchase was at a promotion by Hakuhodo and I was served by the Japanese sales lady from Hakuhodo (the local promoter which they employed just for the sale event did not even know these tips). She told me that I only need to wash the brushes once every six months, or even only once a year! Use only detergent for wool. Drying time is 5 DAYS. Yes, you heard me. 5 Days to dry and I am not supposed to use it even if the hairs are dry in a day or two as the hairs inside the brush/handle need to be totally dry before use. So, some Haduhodo trivial for you.

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2013 9:28:00 AM More reviews by Moremi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I will review the following:
G5521BkSL Highlight Brush pointed
S103 Pointed Powder Blush Brush
Large pointed Yachiyo
Price: 34 USD
Hair: Goat/Blue Squirrel (amazing softness, but not flimsy due to the goat hair mixed in)
I have used this brush for 10 months, almost daily.

I use the G5521BkSL brush for several tasks: setting under eye concealer with LM secret brightening powder, for powdering my t-zone (the only area on my dry face that gets shiny) and highlighter on the top of my cheekbones, which it applies and blends beautifully. I have not tried this for contouring, even though I know some people have used it for that.

This brush has not shed a single hair. The letters on the handle have worn of slightly, and that is the reason for me only rating it a 4 on 'packaging'. I would probably repurchase due to the fact that it makes those tasks that you COULD manage with another brush a little bit easier and with a more flawless result.

I would recommend. It is also relatively cheap compared to the bigger brushes made of blue squirrel and would be great it you are curious about blue squirrel brushes, but are, like me, a poor student.
I will review the B103. It has the same brush head as the S103 but retails for 72 dollars due to the different handle, which is glossy black instead of vermillion.
The brush is made of goat hair, which is soft and pretty firm, at least compared to the hair of the blue squirrel.

The lettering wore of after 20 minutes of use. It makes me regret not buying the S103, which I think is of better quality when it comes to the handle.

I use it for loose face powder, then I flick it of and use it for bronzer and contour powder. What I love about Hakuhodo brushes is their ability to grab onto product easily and release it just as easily. This fact makes the B103 a multi tasker. I've tried it for directional blush and it works fine, I just prefer my Hakuhodo large pointed yachiyo for that.

After washing it, a smell of wet dog lingers for a short while. It's only natural and nothing that bothers me. I use brush guards to help it remain its original shape.

This brush is the pride of my small collection and a must have for anyone who is economical (yes, buying this brush is an investment) and minimalistic, meaning, wanting a collection as small as possible.

UPDATE: After 10 months of use, it's still in perfect condition. This brush has seriously never shed one single hair. Ever. Even though this brush CAN be used for directional blush, as I wrote earlier, I would not recommend it. The tip may be pointed but the brush is still too big and it does not make it possible to work the blush into the skin, which is my preferred method. I also have to add that the brush hair has a healthy luster to them, like newly conditioned hair. Really shiny, and an indication that the hair used is not damaged.
---
After era of using ecotools blush brush, I felt needed something more precise and with the ability to diffuse pigmented blushes. My eyes landed on the NARS yachiyo, but after reading reviews I decided on Hakuhodos version, because it was described as softer and better. Anyone owning Rae Morris book "Makeup: The ultimate guide" will see this exact brush featured in the brush chapter, where she states that she loves it.
The brus is soft, but in a cotton-y way, instead of having that smooth silky feel that Blue squirrel offers. It manages to apply both sheer and heavily pigmented blushes. You still have to shake of the brush before letting it touch your cheeks if you're using something along the likes of NARS Taj Mahal.
This is the only Hakuhodo brush that has been shedding. About 4 or 5 hairs.
UPDATE: After 7 mpnths of use, I have to rate this lover. If I only had to rate performane, it would get a 5/5, but the quality of this brush is not at the same level as its price. It sheds a LOT. I still love it and use it everyday (since this is the only blush brush I own and I hate throwing expensive stuff), but if I could wind back time, I would have bought a brush from the B series. They are made of softer, black goat and/or squirrel and does not shade one bit!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2013 9:42:00 PM More reviews by TwylaRose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

These brushes are excellent.
I've been a makeup artist for many years and have used many brushes - these ones take the proverbial cake. With frosting.

I held Trish brushes as my HG brushes until i found these.

The nice thing about the Hakuhodo brushes is they have several "series", the prices running the gamut from MAC to Tom Ford. ALL of them are of excellent quality, and you don't necessarily need to spend the big bucks to get a superb brush.
At this point, all my brushes are from the G and J series, and every single one of them puts any MAC brush in my possession to shame.

If i were to recommend ONE brush here, it would be the G5557 2mm Powder & Liquid Brush. It's by far the best foundation brush EVER.
End of story.

I have two crease-brushes - both of which have slightly different functions that they fulfill perfectly.

If you want brushes that are going to last, that are incredibly soft, and do the job above and beyond expectation, then get Hakuhodo brushes.
Listen - good brushes are an investment. And you don't need to get the high-end series to get superb quality from this company.

A final word about these brushes - do your research and know the *function* of the brush you are purchasing (maybe read up a little on hair-types/density as well as shape, and what they are used for in terms of brush making) and you won't be disappointed in their performance.

I have a full review of the ones i currently own on my blog here;

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/26/2013 6:56:00 PM More reviews by ohmary

I recently bought a J210 Blush Brush from Hakuhodo which they had recommended when I emailed and asked them what they thought would be a good powder brush. I also purchased a blush brush which is goat hair and very nice. A little pricey, but good. The J210 was not good. Too soft for picking up any product, and the hairs starting coming out. That may be because it was new. I had read much great review on utube about their brushes thinking they were the HG of all brushes NOT. I contacted them right away about the dissatification with the one brush, but never heard back. I then read that once the package is opened it is yours!! The price for the J210 Blush Brush was $44. which is medium expensive, but I was disappointed in it. Packaging was fine.