April 24, 2014 | 1833 users online

Hair Color - Garnier - Herbashine

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2010 11:35:00 AM More reviews by JolieBelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

this is a great product as far as i'm concerned and i don't understand the negative reviews.

first of all, in sweden it retails for more than 3 dollars, it's actually the equivalent of 10 euros or 11. however, i find it not that expensive compared to casting from l'oreal. i heard good things about that one as well but this one is the only one that i've tried, so....

i like the color choice, albeit never having tried more than three shades from the brown range. i chose light ash brown, light brown and another one that i can't remember. however, it is true what other reviews have mentioned- the color can come out a little darker than expected. nevertheless, this thing is clearly mentioned inside the package, on the instructions sheet- if you leave it more than 10 minutes it will get darker, it's as simple as that. so i really don't understand why people complain about this. yes it's a flaw that every other toning cream (or whatever they call it) has. it's something the industry still has to work over.

the result is lovely. first of all, soft hair, incredibly shiny, which was a surprise for me. secondly, it lasts, and lasts, and lasts, even more than 8 weeks, which is great compared to other hair tints that fade off after just a couple of washes.

as i said, it can get a little darker. if you respect the instructions i take it there should be no problem whatsoever.

and yes, it will gradually come off, with every washing- that's it's purpose, first of all. it is meant to be a temporary hair color, which cannot fade overnight once the 8 weeks have passed. therefore, noticing slightly colored water in the shower or tainted towels (never happened to me, but everybody's hair is different) is absolutely normal.

and last but not least, when it comes to hair dyes, everything is highly subjective. we all have different textures and pigments in our hair shafts. if it looks one way on the box it doesn't mean it will be perfectly replicated on your hair- perhaps your previous treatments or some difficult pigments are harder to work with. if something is recommended to you by someone, or if a friend got a specific color after using a certain shade, doesn't mean you'll get the same result. it's the same as with medication.

therefore my belief is that we should enjoy this product of true quality and for those who don't like it, then stop buying it. it's not a plate you're getting, that will always fit the purpose.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2010 1:41:00 PM More reviews by MrsCripe

So happy with this product. I used color 630; light golden brown. I have dark blonde hair, and I left it on a bit longer than 10 minutes. It turned out pretty dark, but looks amazing, and i've had several compliments. I know it will fade with time. My hair feels strong and looks shiny, LOVE the conditioner. The price wasn't too bad, plus I had great coupons. I had to purchase 2 boxes, I have Long thick hair.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/14/2010 11:20:00 AM More reviews by lucyfur888

Have severely damaged hair from using permanent (ammonia based) haircolor. Have plenty of gray that grows back in 10 days. Cant use permanent anymore; it makes my hair break off. What to do? I used to use Clairol natural instincts but would have to leave it on 50 minutes to cover gray and it basically doesnt do the job. Grays show up in less than a week. I tried Herbashine this morning left on 20 minutes (product instructions say 15 or it will be too dark). Used dark blonde to get a light brown which is the same thing i do with any brand. Came out like natural instincts in 45 minutes; some gray showing but not too dark. Maybe will try longer next time. There is nothing permanent on the market I can use and this seems to be doing as good a job as any other in a lot shorter time. Leaves hair soft, definately not dried out for me. I have very fine hair but plenty of it. Will try over the next few months and see how it keep up.
Update: gray coverage doesnt last. less than a week. I cant say there is any semi permanent that will cover grey. I have gone back to natural match which is still available in Canada. That one at least doesnt show grey on the previosuly covered areas until regrowth which for me is 2 weeks. Garnier and Clairol have nothing that will cover grey without ruining your hair in the process. I wouldnt recommend Herbashine if you are trying to cover grey.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/24/2011 1:09:00 AM More reviews by Silver9

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is the WORST hair dye EVER ! Stay away ! I used medium ash brown and it end up black ! My hair was so dry, and i even lost my hair. I will never buy it again !

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2011 2:37:00 PM More reviews by lrlr

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have been using Clairol Natural Instincts, but could no longer find my color [526] locally, so tried Garnier HerbaShine in 565. It turned out great. My hair already has some red highlights and this intensified them, but in a really natural way.

The Clairol gave a single overall color, but the Garnier gave a variety of colors, like an expensive salon job does.

The 565 is a pretty coppery brown, darker than the box picture. It looks purple when you apply it, so don't be freaked out as I was when I saw it. The Garnier covers gray beautifully, better than the Clairol. I don't care for the smell of the conditioner, but that is minor. The applicator is also not great and like another commentator, I cut it off in order to use it more easily. I am very pleased with the results and have received several compliments already.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2011 7:38:00 AM More reviews by murphygrainne

Very happy with this!
I'm from Ireland and was using L'Oreal Casting Creme Gloss in Plum regularly. I loved the colour and how my hair felt. I moved to Canada and was happy to see they had just launched Healthy Look Creme Gloss which is the equivalent. There was no plum shade though and I didn't just want to boring dark brown.
My hair is very dark brown, almost black naturally and quite long. I have a good bit of grey now but like the plum colours-feel they give a kind of highlight effect!
I tried Herbashine deep purple (426) because the colour looked like the plum I liked. Love the results! I've used it a couple of times now and it's worked really well each time. The colour is gorgeous and my hair is fantastically shiny and silky afterwards. I can also get over a month out of it before needing to reapply-as long as I got out of my last permanent salon colour!

Pros:
-Great colour
-Quite long lasting
-Love the conditioner

Cons
-You need to shop around in Canada-some places are quite expensive
-Didn't like the applicator bottle-nozzle is too narrow so ended up taking it off after doing the top of my head
-Wish there was just a bit more in the bottle-I think some of my hair was probably taking a dye holiday!~

As for smell, it's nothing worse than others I've used. I do notice a little colour transfer to towels etc for the week after but have had that with every colour I've used.

I'm hooked anyway. This is my new go-to colour!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2010 1:30:00 PM More reviews by reallychelseawow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

UPDATE: This stuff fades quickly and to a terrible colour (which I find most Garnier hair colours do). Crud. Would not rebuy.

Like most reviewers I regularly used Natural Instincts. I generally used their black mixed with a red for a deep purple colour. I saw herbashine had a deep purple similar to their Garnier 100% colour (which I hate btw). I decided to give this a try.

The colour is great. It's a more blue purple than I was getting by mixing two colours, although it doesn't last as long as NI.

Two notes. One: I LOVE the conditioner that this comes with. It's thick and rich and made a huge difference to the texture of my hair. I wish I could buy it alone! Love love love.

What I don't love (about this and most garnier dyes): it smells! It's a strong, artificial fruity smell that lasts after a few washes. I hate that and wish it didn't. Garnier always over fragrances their products. The conditioner also reeks. It smells like heavy perfume. It lasts long too. Ugh.

I will repurchase and I would love to know if I could buy the conditioner elsewhere!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/11/2012 12:52:00 PM More reviews by vwterry

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Finally--a non-permanent color that will cover my grays! Since I started using this product, I have saved a TON of money by not having to go the salon to have my hair colored. Salon color was lasting three weeks, but I was stretching it to four (ugh). HerbaShine lasts only two weeks, but it is so inexpensive that it still saves me a boatload of money over going to the salon. I have fairly dark brown hair, but I use shade #630, Light Golden Brown (aka Golden Teak), apply only to my gray roots, leave it on for 25-30 minutes, and my gray is blended away beautifully. (Last time I used it, I put just a touch on the surface of my hair for the last five minutes, just to calm down my frizzies. That seemed to work well, too.) What a godsend! Runs rings around Clairol Natural Instincts, which did NOTHING to cover my gray, even when I left it on 30 minutes. My only complaint is that so much product is wasted--I wish it came in a smaller size--but at $7 a pop, that's not much of a complaint.

Edited to add that after six months or so of using this product, I found that my hair was starting to look orangey. I never thought that would be a problem with semi-permanent color. I tried a different shade, Light Warm Brown (I think that's the name--I bought it at Walmart, but I don't see it on the Garnier site), but now my hair looks much too dark. I am going to try leaving it on for a shorter time to see if that helps. I wish Garnier had more color options--how about a light neutral brown? (What they call Light Natural Brown looks VERY dark.)

Deleting a lippie.

Edited again to add that I've tried mixing the two shades I'd used previously, and I'm still getting either red/orange tones (not the caramel tones I want) or a color that's just too dark. I think this product is good for a desperation fix between salon visits, but it isn't so great on a month-in, month-out basis unless you want a very dark brown or noticeable orange tones. Deleting one more lippie.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/14/2011 11:34:00 AM More reviews by Zelicious

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Garnier Herbashine Haircolor, 510 Medium Ash Brown

I used this last night. The color came out so dark its definitely not medium and does not match the color on the box. The color also did not cover well. I have long thin hair and used 2 boxes. There was about half a bottle left and we coated the hair immensly. Even so I had a few high lights that did not cover well AT ALL. My hair also feels VERY DRY and damaged.

the reason I said I would use it again is because I have used this brand before and had better results with another color. Also I love the conditioner in the box.

BUT BE WARNED it drys out your hair and the Medium Ash Brown is not truley an Ash or a medium. In the light the color has a red tint. It is not chocolatey or a rich brown but it is also not exactly an Ash.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2010 7:05:00 PM More reviews by rivera25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have been colouring my hair for a long time and have been almost every shade imaginable (including accidental orange and green!). I was bored of the colour i had, which was a few different shades- i saw this and decided to give it a go. After standing in Boots for a good twenty minutes deciding on the shade, i finally settled on 415 ice mahogany brown. The colour on the box looked lovely.
I have really long hair and although its fine i have a lot of it so it took ages to apply. I left it on for the recommended 10 mins. It took a while to rinse out- the conditioner that came with it is very nice. The colour i was left with was darker than the one on the box but it still looked good. It didn't dry my hair like some dyes do and left me with exceptional shine.
A few washes on and my hair was the exact colour on the box- a beautiful deep reddy brown. I have gotten so many compliments from people asking which salon i had it done in! I think this is the best hair colour i have had in a long time and i plan to keep it this shade for a while yet.
Its starting to fade now and needs doing soon but it lasted a lot longer than 8 weeks. The only grip i have is the gloves- they're pretty crap and cheap but its no major issue. I will be buying this again; knowing me i'll try a few different shades from the range.