October 23, 2014 | 2008 users online

Mascara - Apple By Apple - Super Lash

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2010 9:20:00 PM More reviews by nubletta

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I remember running into this product multiple times but never took a moment of my day to try it until I read the MUA reviews!

I have access to this both in the mall I work at and multiple places by my house. The cheapest I've found to pay per tube is $1.80!! That's dirt cheap! For the ladies (or men) in the San Fernando Valley area in SoCal, they're sold at Amuse stores! Both in Northridge Fashion Center and in Panorama Mall. It is $1.80 at Panorama (with a greater selection) and $2.00 at Northridge.

This is a review for the Avocado formula.

The first thing that caught my attention is the fact that the product wasn't sealed. I've been to one store that actually tapes around the opening preventing people from opening the mascara and possibly even testing it out for all I know. It wasn't sealed where I purchased mine but I wasn't able to open the tube to see if it was opened or not (masacara wand smudges around opening). That's one of the cons of this mascara -- the packaging at least.

A con about the product itself - I have noticed *slight* smudging on the bottom of the lash line. I'm not sure if that's from my gel liner or from the mascara itself. Another thing is that when I remove it and I was my face, I can see very little under my eye from left over. Could be that I haven't been taking off my mascara too well though. Regardless, I felt like that should be mentioned as well.

I like this formula very much - it feels very nourishing on my lashes because it contains avocado oil in it. I don't feel like my lashes are falling out every time I take off the mascara. I had that problem with L'oreal Voluminous. This mascara doesn't actually curl your lashes, but it holds curl very well if you curl them prior to applying it. I haven't noticed any flaking yet.

I have found that you can build up the intensity of the lashes fairly well, I haven't found this mascara to be dry. I've found it to be in the middle. Not dry, not wet. I've easily made my lashes look fake with this. I've also been able to pull off the natural look as well. Being able to do both with one mascara is extremely convenient. I have been able to clump the lashes at one point after applying it excessively but easily separates with a disposable mascara wand.

Another nice thing is that if you screw up and get mascara where it doesn't belong (eyeshadow, under eye, etc) it can be removed easily with a dry q-tip. This mascara is also very easy to remove at night.

All in all, it's a very good buy. Considering the price and what it can do for your lashes, I'll definitely buy again. I also plan to try all of the other formulas that they make. I believe they also make blue mascara in addition to clear and brown. I will be updating my review as I try out the mascaras.

Edit: I have tried the Black & Ceramides formula and they all work great! Only difference I noticed is that the brush on the Avocado formula is massive in comparison to the other ones (which is a standard size of mascara wand). Will keep testing other formulas. I'd also like to add that the cheapest that I've found it now was for $1 at Power Dollar. Bargain shopping pays off!! I got my aunt hooked on this, and shes taking 4+ tubes back home with her to Nicaragua. Now that says something.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2011 9:37:00 PM More reviews by artificialsweetness

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Girls, girls, girls! PLEASE! buy this mascara! Just try it out!! for just $1.99 there's nothing to lose!
Let me tell you...
I have the whimpiest lashes EVER. They NEVER hold a curl after applying any kind of mascara (voluminous, diorshow, big fatty, givenchy etc) but this mascara... wow! its the ONLY mascara that will hold my curl. I dont care about the packaging, or the bristle, or the packaging. Sure it clumps a bit but not too much, and what are you complaining about if its $1.99!? As a freelance makeup artist let me tell you what you can do. GENTLY curl your lash then you can use ANY of the apple by apple super lash mascaras (i.e. mamey, almond, pink and green etc) as a primer... just a few strokes THEN you can immeadiately swipe any other mascara of your choice on top to get a false lash effect. I personally like priming with the apple mascara and then adding loreal's voluminous right after and wow! I get the curl that I want, AND the dark charcoal color of Voluminous! If you chose to do this, you want to add the second coat of the second mascara WHILE the first coat of the apple mascara is still fresh and damp. If you wait too long until its fully dry to add the second coat it will clump up. I highly recommend this mascara alone of course. I've also been doing two coats of pink and green and a last coat of the "mamey" because i love the brush that it comes with (helps separate lashes) :D

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2010 12:54:00 PM More reviews by anniejade

HG!! thank you again MUA because there is no way I would ever come upon this mascara otherwise. If you are Asian, you MUST try this! LOL. The biggest problem for me with mascaras is always that they don't hold a curl. Not only do they don't hold a curl but the instant I put it on, it collapses my just crimped eyelashes. I'm lucky enough to not have short lashes but they are stick straight and even more on a downward trend. Anyway, I bought these off ebay as others have mentioned and you get 4 for 13 bucks. What a steal! Packaging isn't anything special and neither is the wand. The great part of this product though is formula. I am still in disbelief that this holds a curl so well and even on days with extreme humidity. Ive used the black tube and the mamey one so far and think the black one is a lot better. There's not too much volume to this mascara but for holding curls, it's amazing! I used to use CG great lash and lashblast in waterproof and those do a decent job but I couldn't stand how hard it was to remove. These ones don't smudge and remove easily at the end of the day. They also leave my lashes feeling nice and soft unlike the other waterproof formulas which make my lashes super stiff. Like someone else on here has mentioned, I think the formula is a lot better after a week or so of using it (after it thickens a bit). Give this product a try!

EDIT: A lot of the other colors don't work.... only the Black label one does on me and now I've switched back to WP formulas because it's not dramatic enough

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2009 11:34:00 PM More reviews by littledebbie105

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The only mascara that I love for my super straight short lashes. Will not uncurl them!!!. All mascaras that I have tried out there weigh my poor little lashes down after I use the eyelash curler. It won't really lengthen but it does make my lashes thicker (see pic above) I usually put one coat of this mascara on my lashes and let it dry (meanwhile I'll work on the rest of my face) if I don't let that first layer dry, my lashes will uncurl if I just apply layers and layers of mascara while it's still wet. After it's dry (approx. 3-5 minutes) I will apply more layers to achieve the thickness that I want. This is what works for me to keep the curl of my lashes. It can get a tiny bit clumpy, this is when my beloved Sonia Kashuk's metal eyelash comb comes in handy. Even when I cry I will not get racoon eyes..Super cheap I buy it for about $3.00 at a local boutique store, the packaging is not pretty, but that's the least of my concern because it's definetly my HG!

Update 7/22/09: The consistency of this mascara can get dry, but it still works. When applying this I wiggle the wand upwards between my lashes, instead of just brushing to get the mascara to really coat my lashes. One thing I don't like is how this mascara looks on my lower lashes since they are so sparse. (see pic above) I have to use a different mascara for my lower lashes which is Lancome's Hypnose. (see my 2nd pic above) But I won't take a lippie off because of this, it's the only one that works for me and I can't be without it!!!

Update 4/16/2011 If you find that the product inside the tube gets dry, try putting it in a 1/2 cup of warm water and let it sit there for a while. Make sure the cap is screwed tightly you don't water to go inside. After about 5 minutes your mascara should be good as new. It works every time for me!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2009 7:02:00 AM More reviews by Kamee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this mascara for a week and i'm really impressed by it. I am asian, therefore, i have stick straight short lashes that are hardly noticeable, but with this mascara I look like I have falsies on. With my eyelash curler and this mascara, my lashes look amazing! This mascara gives great volume, lengthen, holds a curl, wash off with soap and water, and it feels soft to the touch after it dries. And it does not flake, smudge, or clump (well it will if you do like 40 coats, but what mascara doesn't?). The texture I felt was creamy and smooth. It also has a pretty lasting scent that smells kind of like Garnier Fructis shampoos, which only you can smell when the air blows around you just right. I hear they also have an ingredient in them that helps lengthen your lashes, but I yet to have see that result.

The packaging however, is very humble and this is one of those things where you can't "judge a book by its cover". The brush is the default mascara brush. I feel it's a bit big to use because I always end up having mascara on my eyelids.

I have the Mamey one, which I kind of regret buying because there are some controversies out there that mamey seed oil has bacteria strains in it (google this for more info). There's a large selection of mascaras from this line and i highly suggest trying them except Mamey.

If you live in San Jose, CA, Eastridge's Amuse store sells them but make sure to open them to check if they're new, because the first one i purchased was missing its brush. They were nice enough to let me exchange it even though they have a no return/exchange policy, but since I checked right after I left the store, they knew I wasn't lying to them. I also heard 99 cent stores sell them too. Price ranges from 99 cents to 8 dollars i suppose, depending on where you buy them. At Amuse, I bought it for 2.99. Ebay also has a pretty good deal too if you can't find it near you.

Overall, I really do like this mascara even though the Mamey seed oil is iffy. This is near HG, but I still want to test their other ones from this line first. Next time I'm getting the regular black one or the avocado one.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2011 8:01:00 AM More reviews by Humminbird

I absolutely cannot get enough of this stuff! I have tried dozens of mascaras, hoping something would work for my stick straight lashes. I used to wear a lot of false lashes because they really help me with my curse.. and I would just add the best mascara I had to blend my lashes. lol. I have to say I've only come across about 3 decent mascaras and never any that had me completely hooked. I've tried everything from to Maybelline's Falsies to MAC's Haute and Naughty, meaning both drugstore and high-end. Nothing really did it for me... Just when I thought I'd lost all hope, I found a mascara that blew my mind! Apple mascara! I first ever tried Apple's mamey mascara given to me by a friend. At first I didn't really like it. But that's before I curled my lashes! I curled them, applied the mascara and realized that the mascara was actually really buildable. I put on at least three coats and my lashes looked a lot thicker and fuller than ever before! They even stayed curled all day long. Most mascara's build and clump, but Apple mascaras actually seem to coat each strand so it really gives a naturally thick look. I don't have to wear falsies all the time now and I love it! Also, most mascaras are usually priced around $6 or higher. I buy my off Amazon for a buck fifty +$3.50 for shipping. Obviously that's $5, but point is that it's still cheaper than A LOT of mascaras! I will never buy another mascara! I love Apple mascaras!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2011 1:27:00 AM More reviews by MissKisara

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

On an expedition to the charming Mexican shopping plaza in my town I came across a little beauty supply kiosk. The lady had dozens of Apple brand mascaras in a range of formulas (mamey, avocado, jojoba, aloe, peanut oil, almond, Super Lash, blue colored mascara, brown mascara, waterproof, and clear). I'm not familiar with the brand so I asked the lady running the kiosk which formula was best. Although each has its good qualities she said that Mamey and Super Lash were the top sellers. Needless to say I bought both and paid only $4! Now that I've tried both I think I love mamey! It seriously makes my lashes look dark and luscious! The results are more dramatic than the ones I got with my usual mascaras (Great Lash and Volume Express). The Mamey formula is very wet, pleasantly scented, and has a straight mascara brush. The Super Lash/ Pink and Green mascara comes with a large brush with a shape reminiscent of a pine tree. Unfortunately the tube was on the dry side which means that I need to heat it up in a cup of warm water (or my pocket) before I can apply it. The formula is fairly good (I think it volumizes and lengthens) but I like mamey so much more. The only reason I won't give this product a five star rating is due to the lack of tamper proof packaging. It seriously kind of freaks me out (but the lady had testers out to discourage tampering). Anyways, I did like this mascara since it was good and quite a steal.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2009 9:48:00 PM More reviews by narita23

I've heard a lot of great things about this mascara and had to try it myself. I've been told that this mascara is perfect for asian lashes which are hard to keep curled all day long. I have the same concern and there were no other mascara that held my curl other than my HG Shiseido Lasting Lift mascara. (Please click on "continued" to see picture review)

Shiseido on my right eye( on your left). Apple on my left eye (on your right)

After 10 hours. With other mascaras my lashes would have been pointed down already! Still you can tell that Shiseido held my curls better but Apple wasn't that far considering the price.

So I've tried Apple mascara and pleasantly surprised how it in fact could hold my curl. I've got almost the same result as my $23 Shiseido for just $4 Apple mascara. Furthermore, it was easier to remove compared to Shiseido one which is a big plus. Another nice thing was after I put it my lashes felt soft unlike my Shiseido which hardens it. I guess it is thanks to the Mamey oil it has in it. Very much likely to replace my HG Shiseido mascara. I'm excited!!!
I bought it on Ebay 3 for $13. They didn't sell it individually, only lot of 3. So I have 2 more for swap if you'd like to try. I didn't list it yet so please just send me a message if you're interested. :)
Also I have more detailed review on my blog :) continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2010 12:17:00 AM More reviews by Gaijin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this off of eBay in the Black, Mamey, and Avocado, and really liked all of them. I didn't notice any real difference in formulation between the three, they were all a drier formula that gave good volume, did not clump and held my curled lashes. If I were to repurchase though, I think I would buy the Mamey over the others, because it smells like apples! This lasted all day on me without flaking or smudging, and removed fairly easily with my oil cleanser. This is definitely better after it thickens for a couple of weeks. When I first tried it, the formula was so dry that I would swipe it over my lashes, and it wouldn't really adhere to them, so I would try to put on coat after coat, without getting much results. But I'm glad I pulled it out again in a couple of weeks because it went on much smoother and I was able to get a nice dramatic look. This pretty much has everything that I look for in a mascara. I just wish it were more easily accessible where I live, instead of having to order online.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2010 1:35:00 PM More reviews by tigerorchid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love trying new mascaras, searching for my HG, and this has become it!! I live near an area where these mascaras are readily available, so I've tried many different types (and I'm still not done yet). I've tried the mamey extract in the pink and green tube, the regular mamey, ceramides (in the all pink tube), almond, sabila (which is aloe vera), and avocado. So far I've gotten best results from the ceramides, but that one has been the most difficult for me to locate. Mamey extract has been a complete fail for me, leaving my lashes too natural looking...I love a full/fake lash look. The others I've tried are really great too, but it takes about a few days to a week of application to get the right consistancy. The mascaras smell like their distinct name. So far, sabila has the strongest scent, but it does go away after a short time. Where I'm at, these are on average $2 each. With the effect these give my lashes, and the cost, they are my HG mascara. I would totally pay sephora prices for these mascaras...good thing I don't have to!!