October 31, 2014 | 1653 users online

Concealers - MAC - Studio Finish Concealer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2004 9:56:00 PM More reviews by KateJ

This is my HG concealer. This concealer isn't for every woman - if you require only light coverage, you can safely pass on this one because it *is* quite thick. (For medium coverage, try Dior Anticerne Perfecteur Moisturizing Concealer).I have huge, big brown racoon eyes. Foundation and 'ordinary' concealers won't cover them & I constantly looked as though I was battling a particularly nasty flu bug. Then, I was introduced to Studio Finish Concealer in C25. This stuff is *industrial strength*. It is so strong that it covers up my bags and makes me look like I have none. I put a coat of Yves Saint Laurent "Touche Eclat #1" over top for a flawless look. Now when I tell people I have terrible bags, they say, "what are you talking about? You don't have any bags!". This is nothing short of a miracle!!! I LOVE this concealer. Now, some words of advice to those of you considering trying this out. #1 - while normally you go a shade lighter than your complexion with a concealer, you may wish to stay closer to your real tone; #2 - moisturize before you apply; #3 - and this one is important - *** BUY THE BRUSH*** do not try to cheap out and apply with your fingers, you actually *do* need the brush. Otherwise, it will just look 'cakey'... The brush is important for a natural looking application. I think the MAC brush is about $26.00CDN - I would recommend going to The Body Shop and getting their eyeshadow brush instead - it works equally well. (NOTE: The Body Shop equivalent is only $10.00CDN and is not made with animal hair, whereas MAC has abandonned their cruelty-free ways since being purchased by Estee Lauder). At any rate, no matter how bad your bags are, I can almost guarantee that this concealer can conqueer them!!! NOTE: need an even stronger concealer?? Try: Shiseido Optimal Concealer. I have a review of this product as well - when even MAC tub concealer won't cut it, give Shiseido's equivalent a shot!!

27 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2014 10:10:00 PM More reviews by ToSirWithLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This might be common knowledge, but just in case: MAC Studio Finish Concealer is pretty much the exact same product as their pro Full Coverage Foundation. The concealer has some added sunscreen.

Ingredient comparison:

MAC Studio Finish Concealer:
Sunscreen INGREDIENTS: OCTINOXATE 5.00%, TITANIUM DIOXIDE 2.00%,
Non-sunscreen ingredients:
Octyldodecanol, Synthetic Beeswax, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Silica, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Polybutene, PVP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Alumina, Stearic Acid.
May contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Chromium Oxide Greens, Ultramarines.

MAC Full Coverage foundation:
Octyldodecanol, Synthetic Beeswax, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Silica, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Polybutene, Alumina, Stearic Acid.

Price-wise, the concealer is $19 for .24 ounces. The foundation is $32 for 1 ounce. So the concealer costs a little more than $76 per ounce versus the $32 per ounce of the foundation.

If you love the concealer and use a lot of it, you might prefer to buy your shade in the foundation and just use that instead. It'll last longer and you'll save $$$.

Drawbacks to this: the foundation is a Pro product, so you might need to seek out a Pro store or order online. It also doesn't come in every shade, NW15 for example. BUT it does come in White, which would make a nice mixer or highlighter for fair users.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2013 12:07:00 PM More reviews by SepiaRose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this concealer and even with my dryness prone skin this doesn't accentuate any dryness as long as I moisturize beforehand. It covers amazingly well doesn't cake up even by the end of the day. After about 8 or 9 hours it does start to fade but it's time to take it off by then anyway so no big deal there. It's very creamy and it only takes a very light swipe to get light to medium coverage. It's buildable too and the color matches perfectly. Great product and lots of it for the price too, I've had the same pot for going on two years.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2011 12:29:00 PM More reviews by littlemj

NC25 Chinese, red undertones from acne prone skin.

I have been loyal to MAC for 10+ years, but I am ready to move on out of boredom. I think the loyalty was a mixture of cool factor but also habit. The pot version is portable, covers acne and undereye circles well but now I think I would like to look for something more moisturizing (I have also used the tube concealer in the past as well).

Because I love reviewer's who gave reference points, I am NC25 foundation matched to NC20 concealer. Neither MAC colors are perfect, a touch too much orange for my yellow toned skin but better than most dept store brands.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2008 11:45:00 AM More reviews by hotAsFiya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Yet another love hate relationship with this product. The pros for this product outweigh the cons for me. I've been using this for ages. When I first started using MAC, the SA matched me to an NC45 foundation and when I needed a concealer, NW40 was suggested. Thats the shade I've always purchased.
But with that said, even though NW40 is the closest match to cover blesmishes or dark spots, it isn't a perfect match. It can look very light and peachy on my skintone, especially in the summer time when I am way darker. The next shade up is ridiculously peachier and darker, so I just make the nw40 work for me.
My other complaint is that it can look thick if you dont blend it properly. It looks even thicker and unnatural when the color is ...well, not a perfect match.
But alas, there are good aspects to this product. The convenient little pot is one of them. I've never ever left this home, as it always travels in my makeup bag with me. It's so cute!
This will also last you a long time. All you really need is a little bit because this stuff covers hardcore I kid you not. (key is finding a perfect match). When I wear this with the right foundation combination it looks flawless and undetectable. For the amount and quality of the product, this is very inexpensive.
A couple of other tips - I personally wouldn't recommend this as an undereye concealer if your eye area is dry. It will look super cakey. Moisturize the area first. Also, use a concealer brush because using fingers risks bacteria getting in and out of the concealer pot.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2005 9:40:00 AM More reviews by librarian_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wanted to love this concealer, but it just wasn't right for me. I found the texture to be very thick and opaque, which resulted in a somewhat heavy application. The end result was more cakey looking that I prefer. This is not a slap-it-on-and-go product, but one that requires some care and attention to application. Since this is packaged in a pot, I think a concealer brush is probably the best way to go. Also, if you suffer breakouts, I'd double check the SPF active ingredients, which may or may not be a problem for your skin.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2011 7:46:00 PM More reviews by cosmeticat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used to hate this concealer. I was never matched the right shade, and I hated the creamy, thick, heavy texture. I had to spend a lot of time to blend, to make it look natural and set it right. After using several different shades and totally sick with all them, I tossed all of them out!! Recently I had a pretty bad acne episode. My face, along the jaw line and forehead, all to way upto the hairline and also inside my hair on my head, my neck (especially my neck!), and my shoulders and upper back was covered with inflamatory acne :(((( I looked awfull and it hurt terribly and my skin was extremely sensitive. I mean like EXTREMELY. Even water irritated my skin. Finally I started acne treatment, first regular antibiotics, then accutane. The doc told me that even with the fastest treatment it would take 2 months before acne starts clearing, and that usually it gets worse before it clears because accutane make all the oil deposits under the skin purge out first. Anyway, all through out these horrific months I needed a non irritating concealer desperetaly to make my face and neck look at least a bit normal. I ran to the closest MAC store and asked for some concealer, the make up artist recommended this, and I told her how I hated it. She insisted on this one and matched me NW20, her first pick, she did not even hesitated a second, and applied some with her fingers on my face, neck and shoulders. And voila!!! I was overjoyed, it was nothing but a small miracle to me. I tried some on my face with her assistance, again with my fingers because both the brush hurts like hell and also I needed some heavy coverage, so finger is better since brush blends more. NW 20 turns out to be just the right shade for my winter skin, it was the shade I needed all these time. Coverage was just what I needed. And also it covered not only the zits and bumps but also the severe redness caused by harsh topical drugs and intensive picking on my side. I applied this all over my face in light strokes, just like foundation, little heavier on the scars and zits and only after that put the foundation on and my face looked ok. And zero irritation!! Because my face is so weirdly red now, without the NW 20 layer underneath, if I wear foundation only. my face turns in to weird ashy color with pinkish undertones. I also use the NW 20 to cover zits and bumps on my body, a perfect match. So I am a converto!! I worship this product, totally respect it, it has been my saviour through the hell. I was not much of a concealer person, but I totally understand now why women need good and perfect matching concealer. The worst days are over now, day by day my skin gets better, it is now almost ok, few more weeks and it will be amazing, so they say. I need NW20 less and less each day, but still use it on flaws and reddiesh areas. I also use is lightly under my eyes, but I find it little dry for under eyes and will probably get the mouistrizing version from MAC. I so regret tossing other shades away, maybe I had NW 25 and NW 30, can't remember, colors I need for my spring and summer skin. Anyways, bygones. I will go back to the store and get those in darker shades and maybe a spare NW 20 as well. Final conclusion: Studiofinish concealer rocks and when it comes to make up, a good Make up Artist who knows what s/he is doing is important!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2010 7:21:00 PM More reviews by Loci80015

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Ok, I *think* my search for concealers has finally ended. I was looking high and low for a concealer that would conceal, not cake up, blend well and not be overly shiny....oh and MATCH my skin tone. I have tried every concealer under the sun from over the counter to high end and at least one of the above criteria was always missing from the formula. The lady at MAC matched me at a NW20 which matched my skin tone on my neck, but the color was a little too light for my face (but the next shade up would have been too dark). When I first tried it on, it immediately got cakey.....but....there is a trick. I ran my blow dryer over the concealer and made is super creamy and blended it with a brush and it blended like a DREAM. I also had to add a little bit of color (W45 L'Oreal liquid true match) to get an exact match, but this color combo really works well on my skin. The concealer stays on, doesn't get too incredibly shiny (a little after 8-9 hours of use, but that is expected). I am really loving this stuff. One lippie off for having to warm it up and adding an extra color to get the right match.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/19/2008 9:11:00 PM More reviews by MrsBloodbathe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am very fair and have super dark circles that make me look like a drug addict that never sleeps, when in fact I get 8 hours or more sleep every night and the only drugs I take are vitman C, B and a multi-vitman. They have been there forever and I have been on the hunt for the perfect concealer ever since my Mom started letting me wear makeup back in my teens (I'm 30 now).
THIS IS NOT IT!!
I wanted this to be it. I tried really hard to make it 'The One'. I used different foundations under it, different powders over it and nothing worked. If anything it made the problem worse, more noticable. It creased and seemed to change colors half way through the day looking very fake. At best it only kinda covered the dark area when I first put it on. This product might work well for light, or average dark circles but skip it if you have a serious problem with them. Your money would be better spent on a pair of good sunglassess to just hide behind. :(

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2006 2:40:00 PM More reviews by Lyaana

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pretty good color match but kind of oily. Unfortunately, this stuff breaks me out! This is made of TITANIUM DIOXIDE. Please be aware that this is in many sun block products have this in it and cause some people to break out. IF YOU BREAK OUT FROM MAC PRODUCTS BE AWARE THAT AT LEAST HALF OF THEIR PRODUCTS HAVE THIS IN IT!

Side Effects of This Product
Along with its needed effects, sunscreen products may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.

Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur:

Rare

Acne; burning, itching, or stinging of skin; early appearance of redness or swelling of skin; late appearance of rash with or without weeping blisters that become crusted, especially in sun-exposed areas, and may extend to unexposed areas of skin; pain in hairy areas; pus in the hair follicles

Other side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the product. However, check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome:

More common

Drying or tightening of skin

Other side effects not listed above may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your doctor.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No