Essie Mademoiselle

4.4

Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, propyl acetate, Tosylamide/Formaldehyde Resin, Isopropyl Alcohol, Acetyl Tributyl Citrate, Tripheneyl Phosphate, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Ethyl Tosylamide, Steralkonium Bentonite, Styrene/Acrylate Copolymer, Diacetone Alcohol, Camphor, Polyvinyl Butyral, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Benzophenone 1, Citric Acid, Dimethicone, Silica, Trimethylsiloxysilicate. May Contain: CI 47005:1 (D&C Yellow #10), CI 47000 (D&C Yellow #11), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), Mica CAS 12001-26-2, CI 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake), Polyethylene Terephthalate, CI 15850:1 (Red 7 Lake), CI 15850 (Red 6 Lake), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 15880 (Red 34 Lake), CI 77491 (Red Iron), CI 77499 (Black Iron), CI 77510 (Ferric Ammonium Ferrocycyanide), CI 75170 (Guanine), CI 42090 (Blue 1 Lake), CI 60725 (Violet 2), CI 17200 (Red 33), CI 77000 (Aluminum Powder), CI 73360 (Red 30), CI 26100 (Red 17), CI 42053 (Green 3), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Green), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77266 (Black 2), CI 45380 (D&C Red 21), CI 45410 (D&C Red 28), Polyester-3 (D&C Colorant)

on 5/10/2015 8:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Is a sheer light pink. I have to add three coats for it to show some pink. Looks very pretty. If you use one or two coats it will look almost clear. Very feminine, sheer, and sophisticated, and classy.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Super sheer. Super glossy. Buildable to a cool off-white pink.Just don't expect it to ever be opaque. Nice as a pink tinted top coat on some nudes, neutrals and sheers. Does not streak at all. Dry time is average. If it chips there's no need to take it all off and start again, just do a quick swipe-over and you're good. Perfect for girls who want a clean look but are frustrated with off-colours and pooling and streaking.
I love essie's translucent polishes. I will always have a bottle of this in my drawer.

on 4/9/2015 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I really hated this. I bought it straight from the bottle colour and was so frustrated when I started applying it at home and all that came up was clear. There was no way for me to know this was a "sheer" pink but I wanted a neutral nail so the only way to get any sort of colour out of this was to apply coat after coat which just ended up giving me this weird sickly unnatural pink colour. I find the brush way too skinny and when this peels it looks like dead skin.

Maybe because I have a darker skin tone is why it didn't work for me -- I don't know. But if are anything but a pale snow white skin tone I do not think this would work for you.

Total waste in my book.

on 2/18/2015 11:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Had this bottle for years. It's great in 'emergencies'. I end up using it when l've ran out of time to do my nails like on the way to weddings, or when l can't find a colour to complement my outfit. One coat looks best on me luckily, and it dries so quickly. I'm NC20 and it's a bit too pink for my yellowy skin, so will try ballet slippers next. It doesn't streak and l've never had to thin it in the last 6 years!

on 2/14/2015 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

This polish was one of the first essie's i've ever purchased and I really tried to like it but it really sucks. For one, the polish is super streaky, the brush is skinny so it can make application of the polish quite tricky and it chips like crazy and I don't mean small chips! Huge chucks lifting from the nail bed. Honestly, this polish is overrated please don't waste your money on it there are multiple dupes of this polish readily available at a cheaper price!! sorry but this polish looks so classy in the bottle but trashy on the nails.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I haven't had much luck with Essie polishes in the past, but Mademoiselle has beat out my years long devotion to OPI's Bubble Bath! This is my formula for a week's worth of wear that looks like I have some sort of overlay done: Revlon Gel Base Coat + 2 coats of Mademoiselle + Poshe top coat.

PROS:
- Essie's well known, jelly-like, super shiny finish shows beautifully in Mademoiselle, and is what sets it apart from other polishes this color.
- Longer wear time (long side of average) and the finish holds up well
- No yellowing
- I love the bottle
- Easy to find at most drug stores
- It may not be your *perfect/ideal* nude, but you won't go wrong with Mlle.
- Semi self leveling
- Fool-proof

CONS:
- Long dry time…very long. A quick dry top coat only bumps dry time to average.
- Not a fan of the skinny brush, but that's just personal preference
- Super sheer: you really need two coats for any color payoff.
- Price is on the slightly more pricey side for drugstore brands at around $8.50 here in NYC, for 0.47 oz

on 8/24/2014 2:37:00 PM

I am not sure why people have such a fascination with Essie brand.

After hearing all the hype, I had to try one. I opted for a shade much like Mademoiselle (in fact, I originally picked this shade up then thought it much too like my Sally Hanson "Sweet Talker", so I put it back and opted for Imported Bubbly, a similar but lighter and more iridescent shade).

This polish is thin, liquidy, streaky, and slow to dry. The brush is tiny and thin, similar to what you'd find in cheaper quality polishes. It took about 3 coats to each opacity. Nice selection of shades (they're mostly pastel) -- but I knew upon seeing it that it had to be thin -- and having to apply so many layers is a definite drawback for me.

With so many better options out there, I can't justify spending $8-$9 on a bottle of thin liquid when I can get better results from Sally Hanson's Complete Salon Manicure line for the same price -- much better brush, and much better quality overall.

For the easiest, most natural-looking (yet still polished-looking) nails, this cannot be beat! The sheer, jelly-like formula settles easily on the nail without going streaky and best of all, should you get any chips, they're pretty much invisible. Application is very forgiving, so you can just whip this on and be done with it. This is my go-to polish when I want low-maintenance nails--I have to keep mine painted or else I'll start chewing on them, so I use this for those times when I'm being lazy or when I'm burned out with bolder colors. Everybody should have a bottle in their collection!

on 6/21/2014 3:30:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

A milky pink-beige. Flows easily onto your nail and makes them look polished(!). :)

on 6/7/2014 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

It is a very sheer, pink color. Essie's Mademoiselle is all occasions appropriate and excellent for doing French mani! This one actually reminds me of Orly's Bare Rose, but in a lighter, less pink shade. The formula is great, very easy to apply and it dries fast. Essie never fails me. A+

Top Rated Essie Products