December 18, 2014 | 931 users online

Polishes - Essie - Damsel in a Dress

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2014 3:11:00 AM More reviews by Burma76

I love this colour!! It's a vampy deep purple with a silver shimmer. As a previous reviewer commented I love the fact that this doesn't just look black. You can tell it's a colour. It also doesn't have any muddy brown tones which lots of purples do. Two coats provided opaque coverage. I can see my brush stokes a little on my right hand as my application isn't great. It's been 2 days so far without chipping. Yay!!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2013 2:42:00 AM More reviews by Samaire

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

So I have a million of these 'almost black' colors at home, think OPI's Black Cherry Chutney, Royal Rajah Ruby, Lincoln Park After Dark etc. All of them turn out just black on my nails, no exception. And I don't want black fingernails. I was therefore hesitant about purchasing this as it does look awfully similar to Black Cherry Chutney in the bottle. However I have been searching for an eggplant color with no brown undertones forever (for some reason, a lot of purples or eggplants have a brownish hue in them when applied on my nails, another thing I don't like).

Fortunately, this color is finally what I've been looking for. It turns out clearly not black, but as a deep purple with absolutely no brown in it. Perfect. The quality is as with most Essies, on my nails, none stick without chipping for more than two days (no matter what I do) which is OK as I match my nails to my clothes and therefore change color almost every day. Price is 8$ I think in retail, I paid 5$ in a beauty supply store in Chinatown in SanFran. I find the price OK and would pay full price too.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2013 7:02:00 PM More reviews by malatilindh

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love this Deep Eggplant purple color. I get lots of complements each time I wear it. It is on the expensive side. It cost about $8 per bottle

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2012 12:56:00 PM More reviews by cleogirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I finally broke down and bought this on ebay after looking at swatches of this online. I am soooo happy I did! It's the most beautiful plummy purpley color ever! It's one of those colors that actually look like what's in the bottle, not black when you put it on.
Love it and would repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2012 9:18:00 AM More reviews by Alison20

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

LOVE this color! I've rebought it more than once. It's been my go to color this fall/winter. Great dark color, lasts long. I get compliments on this color all the time!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2012 9:15:00 AM More reviews by makeupaddict76

I love dark, almost black purple polishes such as OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark, Siberian Nights, Essie's Carry On, Little Brown Dress, but they were all starting to look the same, dull, leaning towards black. Damsel in a dress is a beautiful deep purple with a nice sheen. It has better lasting power than some of the other dark Essie polishes. Finally something a little different!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2011 11:44:00 PM More reviews by smitabee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE LOVE LOVE
this color is gorgeous!!
this was my first experience with essie nailpolishes and i love how opaque they were on just the first coat! my go to color from now on :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2010 3:19:00 PM More reviews by SweetLychee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am a long time (6 years) user of Essie nail polish, because IMO Essie always carry the pretties colors. Recently, I think Essie has improved its quality interms of color concentration and durability. Essie nail polishes were very thin and required 3 coats before, but now most of them only need 2 coats to get the same color as the bottle. Damsel in a dress is one of them, you only need 2 coats to get good color pay off.
The durability of this particular color is amazing, chipping usually begins at the 4th day(as with my other Essie polish) with my Seche Vite top coat, but this delayed to the 6th day. I was impressed, cuz with such dark color, just a little chip can seem very obvious.
And the chipping wasn't bad at all, just the little corners on my right thumb and pinky.
Interms of color, I agreed with previous reviewers that it's a eggplant-purple with fine shimmer, it sure has alot of red in it. And yes, vampy :)
For reference, I am fair-med asian with yellow undertone, I think that this color complement with my skin tone nicely.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2010 9:44:00 AM More reviews by Caty_23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I purchased Damsel in a Dress as part of the six piece Essie Winter 2008 Collection, and it was one of the polishes I was most looking forward to trying, as I love dark, vampy shades. Damsel in a Dress is a very dark purple with definite reddish/plum undertones. It would certainly be classed as a vampy, though I don't feel it leans towards being black (although non-nail polish fanatics may disagree!) In the bottle it has the same fine silver shimmer running through it that some other Essies do (Rock Star Skinny for a start), which I do tend to find disappointing as the shimmer doesn't translate onto the nail. It does give it a pearly sheen, which is nice, but I would prefer noticeable shimmer. I don't have any problems with streakiness when applying, though it does take 2 coats to become opaque.

Whilst I do like this colour, wear it quite a lot and would repurchase, I think I am a little disappointed in it as, after seeing swatches, I was hoping it would be a dupe to OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark. Whilst I love the OPI colour, the formula is always so chippy on me so I was hoping DIAD could replace it for me. Although Damsel isn't too dissimilar to LPAM (to the untrained eye) there are definite differences, namely the shimmer issue (much better in OPI LPAM) and the tone of the shade (DIAD is more reddish/plum toned, although this doesn't really bother me).

All that being said, I would still repurchase DIAD just because good lasting-power is hugely important to me, and I can get 4 - 5 days wear from Essies. Though fans of LPAM may find it disappointing.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2010 3:32:00 PM More reviews by TeenBeauty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This kind of reminds me of my OPI Black Cherry Chutney n/p.. very dark, vampy purple color (but I kind of like that one better, is has more reddish shimmer on). This one has more silvery undertones. No problems when applying, two coats were perfect