August 23, 2014 | 1331 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Hourglass - Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2011 4:09:00 AM More reviews by wonderbuy

OMFG. If there was a primer I would be buried with, it would be this. This is unlike anything else I have ever used, its truly a veil, very light and glides over your face. Foundation looks fantastic and a tiny amount is all you need. I used to have a lot of primers but all you need is this and a silicone based one (I use GA Face Fabric). This is best used with a foundation that needs more slip and is also great with powder or mineral foundation. Costs a bomb and the sunscreen settles quickly so you need to shake it with each use. The only improvement I could see is for it to come in an opaque squeeze tube with a shaker inside, which would prolong the life and mix it better than what it does now with the pump design. Great for all skin types and absorbs oil well. This is better than anything GA or LM has to offer. It is not very often that I have my socks knocked off with a product, this is so good that I cant even find my socks!

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2011 1:36:00 PM More reviews by starling21

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm a nurse, and I work 12 hour shifts. This primer keeps my makeup in place all day. It is my HG primer. I've tried primers from MUFE, Smashbox, Tarte, Korres, L'oreal, etc. This primer minimizes my pores and helps control shine. My face breaks out very easily, and most primers clog my pores. I actually think this primer has helped lessen my breakouts. I was hesitant to even try this primer because of the price. I thought the girl at Sephora was just trying to sell me the most expensive product. However, it is amazing! I got caught in the rain one day, and my makeup was still in place when I finally made it to cover. I love this primer, and it is totally worth the price. I can't recommend it enough.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2008 10:34:00 PM More reviews by Mojie

Hourglass' Veil Mineral Primer is very unusual. The texture is fascinately strange for a primer (it comes out as an opaque, milky white liquid instead of a gel and dries as you spread it to a satiny powder finish). I have to admit I had a lot of fun spreading it onto my skin and feeling it transform under my fingers. That has to be my favorite part of this primer.

Once it's spread and dried (which is very, very fast), it leaves a velvety soft surface that makeup just glides right over. The finish is wonderful and it feels great on the skin. There's nothing tacky or shiny here. It's so smooth and soft feeling. I imagine this would be wonderful for someone with oily skin as it dries to a nice matte finish and seems as though it would absorb oil well.

The only problem is the color. Even on my fair (MAC NW20) skin, it leaves a white cast that makes me look ghostly. Granted, a lot of it is covered by my makeup, but there's still enough there to make my face look strangely pale compared to the rest of me. I felt like I needed to add far more color into my face than usual and had to layer on blush and eyeshadow until I felt like I looked healthy again. I can't imagine how someone with even medium toned skin would fare with this, let alone women at the dark end of the spectrum.

It's a shame that this primer is ruined by the white cast. Other than that I have absolutely no complaints other than the price ($52, which is a bit steep, but the packaging is nice at least). I'm (sadly) going to be returning mine because I just can't deal with the color issue.

PROS: (1) wonderful liquid to powder texture; (2) dries very fast; (3) leaves a velvety smooth canvas for foundation; (4) would be good for oily skin; (5) includes SPF and no parabens or oils; (6) very nice packaging.

CONS: (1) leaves a white cast on the skin; (2) expensive.

10 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2008 9:18:00 PM More reviews by Jaxappella

This is my favorite primer of all time. I love that it has sunscreen in it so it saves me a step. the powdery finish makes my makeup glide on, and I'm even using less foundation because of that. A tiny bit goes a long way. I'm thinking the previous reviewer used too much and that's why she got the white cast. I've seen this product used by many skin tones without a cast. It's the only primer that I've tried that keeps my makeup flawlessly in place all day and keeps shine down. I normally need a midday blotting, but this primer controlled oil so well that I use my compact now only for the mirror!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2011 6:20:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Oh my but this stuff is GOOOOOD!!!! I'm no stranger to primers and have several very good ones that I like a lot. But I tried this in-store last week and was impressed with how it looked on my hand. Of course, a hand is not a face, so I bought the smaller travel size just to give this a try. My first application was a bit upsetting...in spite of shaking the bottle well (as the directions on the box instruct), what came out was a white liquid the consistency of milk....very runny. What I tried in-store was much thicker. And I didn't want to waste this stuff by pumping and pumping til thicker product came out. Fortunately, by the 2nd application, the primer was thicker and better mixed.

Frankly, I'm blown away by how well this seems to make my pores into a "non-issue" when I apply liquid foundation over top. I didn't think this would be the case since my pores are still visible after applying the primer. But even though I can see them, they vanish entirely after I apply my foundation and they STAY vanished all day. And this primer is amazing at prolonging the lasting power of liquid foundation on my t-zone. Even at the end of the day, the foundation on my nose hasn't started to vanish or cake because of facial oil....it still looks amazingly good, all things considered. I will definitely be purchasing the full size of this product. It is pricey but worth it and one small pump does my whole face so I think even this trial sized bottle will last a couple of months.

UPDATE (Dec. 29/11): I went back to get the full sized bottle of this with my 10% off coupon (I know, big flippin' what) the other day - THAT is how much I love this primer. It makes every foundation I use look that much better and last that much longer and in spite of the price (which is probably insanely inflated), I like this primer enough to keep paying that price because it really works and I feel confident that my makeup won't look like a broke-down, cakey mess if my days end up stretching into evenings and beyond and I haven't had a chance to touch up my foundation.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2012 8:33:00 AM More reviews by liviiflutelouu

I have far too many good reviews on primers, but THIS ONE IS MY HG. I am a huge sucker for silicone-y primers, because they feel so cool/good on my skin..soooo I tried a ton like that (Smashbox, Too Faced, etc.) I liked all of them because of how they felt, and did notice that they made my foundation last a bit longer, but THIS PRIMER holds my makeup like no other. I apply this and my foundation seriously barley budges all day long. It does not feel as good as silicone primers when you apply it, but it is still very smooth on the skin and dries quickly. Also, it has SPF! I have the small travel size of this since I'm just now trying it out. I am sooooo going to get the big size when I'm out, even if it leaves a hole in my wallet. All you primer junkies, if you are looking for something that will make your foundation stay put all day long, you must try this out. The only thing that is not amazing about it is the price!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/23/2012 10:13:00 PM More reviews by Sileny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

**EDIT: The more I used this, the more unimpressed I became. It's really nothing special and a huge waste of money. Honestly, I have no idea why it worked so well on day one and then became useless towards the bottom of the bottle. Dropped to one lippie. It really is best for dry skin. Anyone who produces any oil won't be impressed either.

Short story: It works! It really works for oily skin. I'm in shock I actually found a product that makes my foundation last longer and controls oil without breaking me out. It's light, liquidy, and can be worn without foundation. It blurs pores and redness (doesn't get rid of it, though) so I actually look like my skin is airbrushed. The only con is the price - it's very expensive but it actually lives up to its claims. This is easily my HG primer and I hope they never discontinue it, unless they make something better. As always, sample before you buy it to see if it works with your skin.

Long story: I have always had bad luck finding primers that suit my skin. All I know was that silicone based primers (those with dimethicone at the top of the ingredients list) were awful for my oily skin. It looked great at first, but the primer only sat on top of my skin and that seemed to make my skin produce oil in hyperdrive. My foundation would melt off my skin in 2 hours after application. So a representative from Hourglass was at Sephora and she saw me eyeing the two primers there. She talked highly about them, and I was skeptical because of my history with primers. I explained to her about my oily skin and she immediately recommended me this primer, since it's not silicone based. I tried it on the back of my hand and it felt so powdery smooth and nice. Definitely not the kind for dry skin. Usually when a primer isn't silicone based, it's a cream that is normally meant for dry skin - again, not for me. So I picked up the .33 fl oz bottle to test at home.

The pump is easy to control and I used a small amount over my face. It's very liquidy and needs time to set. If you start applying foundation too early, it will flake off. It actually left my skin looking so close to poreless. I put on my bb cream and it left a matte finish (more matte than usual). It works! My skin didn't become oily until 5 hours after application. This never happens. It's always after 1-2 hours. I love that the ingredients list is short so it's better for those with sensitive skin (like me). There is dimethicone in it, but it's closer to the bottom in the ingredients list.

ETA: After using it for 2 weeks, I still find it to be the best primer on the market. However, when using it with other foundations, I found the oil control wasn't as good as with my bb cream, so I believe I wrongly attributed that to the primer. Also, I think it was separated at first because the oil control is totally gone now. The first couple days, it was very liquidy, now it's like a cream with a thin, gel-like consistency (if that makes sense). I had to knock it down from 5 to 4 lippies because this isn't the same product anymore and barely does anything for my foundation.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/14/2014 8:03:00 AM More reviews by amberlightsss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Made my foundation look flawless and I actually think this stuff made my foundation stay put better than any other primer I've tried. My foundation looked flawless even after I've slept with makeup on for 2-3 hours (powernap!).

BUT, it breaks me out. I got some new pimples on my cheek, around my mouth and on my forehead. There are no other things that could break me out, I know it's this primer. I'm not prone to breaking out either actually, so I'm really sad about this..... Of course I won't repurchase and I will stop use it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2013 8:38:00 PM More reviews by Kentauride

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've tried a lot of primers. Most of them were complete wastes of money. I actually gave up on trying primers because I had such bad luck with them - including 2 different Laura Mercier primers, 2 Smashbox primers, a Clinique primer, a Shiseido primer, Two Faced Primed and Poreless, and probably some others I am forgetting. One day I went to Sephora and one of the points options was a sample size of this Hourglass primer. I picked it up because I had seen such good reviews, but I honestly wasn't expecting much.

Turns out, I love it. It goes on so smooth, spreads easily, doesn't feel greasy. There is a slight mineral-y scent that I have come to enjoy. It makes my foundation go on really perfectly and doesn't seem to irritate my sensitive skin. In fact I can tolerate some products that I otherwise couldn't if I put a layer of this on underneath. When I got to the end of the sample I felt panic! I immediately purchased the full size.

The full size comes in a nice, hygenic pump. One pump measures a perfect amount for my face, but I use two pumps because I put it down my neck, too. I have since repurchased the full size and am almost out. I will repurchase again as soon as I can get myself over to the mall! Yes, it is pricey. But it is worth it.

Edit: on my 3rd (or 4th??) bottle of this I came across what I guess is a bad batch. Instead of the moderately thick lotion texture, it was coming out extremely thin and runny, and every once in awhile a very thick clump. It was like it had separated or something. I tried shaking the bejeezus out of it but that made no difference. Finally I returned it to Sephora and they gave me a fresh bottle. The first squeeze was just the same, very runny - I was freaking out. I worked the pump a couple more times and then the correct consistency came out and it has been fine ever since.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2013 12:26:00 PM More reviews by kwill89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

About a month ago I went in to Sephora to exchange my Laura Mercier foundation primer (that I had found to be just okay) for the Hourglass Mineral Veil primer which I had heard GREAT things about! First of all, I bought the smaller size, which was still $21 + taxes here in Canada which is quite expensive for how small it is. The price wouldn't have bothered me if the primer was actually any good. I was guaranteed by the SA at Sephora that one pump would cover my whole face, but I actually have to use two pumps. I have dry combination skin, and this is sooo dry and not even the littlest bit hydrating. With these things aside, the worst past is that this primer actually FAILS to be a primer for me, as it doesn't make my makeup stay on any better, in fact I believe it makes my face seem sort of greasy throughout the day. I really regret exchanging my Laura Mercier primer, as with that at least I saw results. I would not recommend this to anyone, not even people with oilier skin types.