October 22, 2014 | 1423 users online

Other - Baking Soda

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2014 4:18:00 PM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this mixed with my usual toothpaste whenever I am due a visit to the dentist. She actually commented on how 'naturally' white my teeth were looking (British dentist/British teeth so not the perfect, glow-white variety!) so I was quite pleased. I use it morning, noon and night for three days leading up to a visit and two days a week all other times. I worry a little about it being a little too abrasive but mixing it with toothpaste really seems to help. I'm going to try gargling with/drinking dilute ACV next to see if that also helps with my oral hygiene.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2014 11:29:00 AM More reviews by matthi

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have oily acne prone skin. I mix baking soda with my Elizabeth Grant cleanser to make a paste and use it as an exfoliator every morning and evening on my face neck and chest. I've been doing this for three weeks. My face is clearer, brighter, smoother, more refined, less oily, sun damage is a less deep, feels firmer. It's like a mini-dermabrasion. I used to use Proactive cleanser so now I can save on $$$!
Morning routine: Paste, (no toner), Cellex-C High Potency serum, Elizabeth Grant Supreme Revitalizing Day & Eye serums with Gold, EG Supreme Day & Eye Creams, EG Anti-Sag Neck Cream, La Roche-Posay Anthelios Sun Screen SPF 50
Night routine: Paste, EG Supreme toner, EG Supreme Renewal Night Serum with Gold, EG Supreme Night & Eye creams, EG Anti-Sag Neck Cream

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2014 2:16:00 PM More reviews by Lvdrew319

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The great thing about trying this is you probably already have some in your house. I steam my face, make a baking soda paste with water, then GENTLY move in circles. No pressure, it will irritate the skin and it will do the exfoliating on it's own. However I was concerned since this is so basic that it will cause a pH imbalance. So I just do a lemon juice astringent, a few drops on a cottonball, after the scrub to balance the base with acid. Then moisturize after and do a little extra. I'm currently using St. Ives Collagen Elastin moisturizer but I'd like to try something else (just a little broke). I do this once a week since I have dry skin I'm afraid to do it any more often. But it's super cheap, like 0.50 USD a box. (Packaging is kind of a hassle but it isn't made for cosmetic use so it's something you have to look over) Versatile, you can use it to clean. It whitens teeth, etc. i just use it for face and cooking but there are tons of uses for it. It's worth a try for 50 cents, it really does not get any cheaper than that in the beauty world.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2014 2:57:00 PM More reviews by Awesomeangelface

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Deep Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

is there really a place to review baking soda?> wt heck.. everybody loves baking soda. i guess

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2014 5:05:00 PM More reviews by RieRie29

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

When I need my face to be bright and reduce breakouts, I go to baking soda! I wash my face with cleanser and an exfoliating brush, make a paste with baking soda and water, apply to my face (tie your hair back well) and leave it on anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse off well, and I follow with coconut oil as a moisturizer. This leaves my skin feeling smooth and looking clear and bright in the morning. I do this every night a few days before a special event and my skin ends up looking pretty good!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2014 5:29:00 PM More reviews by yjanney

I use this as a facial scrub. I just wet my face, apply my cleanser and then put some of this on my fingers and massage my face. Very cheap and works well. My skin is sensitive so it can be a bit red afterwards, and I just use some pure aloe vera gel to calm it down. I've had problems removing all of the grit in the past, so I do this right before getting in the shower and I have no problems.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2014 6:25:00 PM More reviews by type_a_tiff

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am a huge fan of baking soda for beauty!

I first used baking soda two years ago as a "no poo" alternative to shampoo. (For those of you who are wondering, that was a pretty gnarly process transitioning to "no poo".)

At the first stage of "no-poo", I just used this as a shampoo and it was amazing! Way better than any clarifying shampoo I have ever used. The only trick is not to use too much of the powder because a little does go a long way. It prevents you from finding specs of baking soda in your hair, which especially blows if you've got dark hair. So! It does well to underestimate how much baking soda you need when you start.

It's also really great at dry shampoo, too.

As a face cleanser: I really liked using it as a face cleanser. When I was younger and more prone to oiliness, I used to create a baking soda/water paste (easy on the baking soda and heavy on the water) and go to town with my Clarisonic. It helped clear up minor breakouts and cystic and hormonal acne that I did have. However, it can be abrasive to sensitive skin.
My skin has changed and I'm not so oily anymore, so I use this more as an occasional treatment; very rare occasion: think once every six months.

As a body exfoliator: I find myself sometimes exfoliating with it. It's the cheapest exfoliator and one of the most effective I've tried.

Deodorant/Anti-perspirant: This is something I didn't realize that baking soda could do until I moved. Make a cornstarch/baking soda mixture on all your sweaty parts, and sweat no more. My love for baking soda grew when I tried this out the first time and it worked.

Nothing but love for baking soda!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2014 7:30:00 AM More reviews by monka191

Baking soda is good for oily scne prone skin however its not something j woulx usefrequently. One a while does the trick (:

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2014 2:34:00 PM More reviews by tempescape

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

I always have a huge box of Arm & Hammer around. Mostly I use it to clarify my hair if ti starts to feel extra dry. It gets rid of all of the build up, then I follow on with an almond liquid castile soap to wash my hair and the ORS deep conditioner. These three bring the hydrated curls back to my hair and make my hair extra soft.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/1/2014 4:56:00 PM More reviews by design

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried baking soda when I was a teen to 'gently' exfoliate my skin. It worked fine, but I found it to be a little too fine and sandy. As an adult with very sensitive skin I thought I'd give it another shot since it was natural, cheap, and I always have it on hand. Bad idea. This stuff wreaked havoc on my skin. I broke out in little bumps all over and my skin was very oily and irritated. I can tell the difference between a hormonal breakout and an irritation breakout. My skin doesn't do well with most gritty exfoliators and this one is definitely a huge no no. Plus I never really felt like I was able to rinse it off. It left a 'slippery' film that required a lot of my cleanser to completely remove. Overall, if it works for you, great! If you have sensitive skin, I would patch test first or just not use it at all.