Castor Oil

4.4

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

I had high hopes, but this really did the opposite of growing hair on me. I spent two weeks trying to use this to grow my eyelashes, but eventually i had to accept it was just causing them to fall out without regrowth.
If you want something that really works, but hurts like a mofo if it gets in your eye, try Neem oil. My lashes grew back like crazy in days.

on 5/27/2015 1:51:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

So far so good.
I use this for my lashes and it seems that they are growing and maybe a little thicker.
If anything they are healthier.
It is thick and can be messy but I have mine in a dropper bottle and apply with a mascara wand.
I try to use it every night when I remember.
I does migrate and slides around my area which is moisturizing and makes my skin soft in the morning, I think it may just be helping with the my undereye circles and fine lines, it also can get into my eyes sometimes but does not burn or cause irritation just blurriness if I do not go to sleep immediately lol
I cannot use moisturizer around my eyes because it causes puffiness including eye creams but the little bit that slides off my lashes around my eye area seems to be perfect.

I did try this when I was trying out different OCM methods but none worked for my skin and caused me to break out and made me more oily then normal.

on 5/15/2015 2:33:00 AM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I have lost my front hair an year back and the rest ones are also very thin and getting thinner day by day. Does castor oil help to regrow my hair back? And how to apply it for regrowth?
Thanks.

on 5/14/2015 9:19:00 AM

I have been using castor oil(Heritage brand cold pressed ordered from vitacost.com) and love it. My eyelashes ans eyebrows are fuller. I have used it to get rid of small skin tags. They just fell off! I have also used it to fade sun spots on my face. I have used it on my eyelids to help sleep. It is amazing how fast i went to sleep! Sometimes I used it on my whole face(it is thick) but my face feels amazing soft in the morning and not greasy at all! My daughter has used it on her nose(lots of blackheads) they were gone in 2 nights! This stuff is amazing!!! and CHEAP!

on 5/8/2015 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I purchased this in reading about its effectiveness on hair (particularly lashes and brows) and decided to try it out for myself; safe to say, completely satisfied! I literally had five lower lashes that I would groom like some endangered animals but after applying this almost every night, new lashes grew like sprouts and results, for me, showed in as quick as a week after applying nightly (I even skipped some nights) although two weeks showed a more solid result. I applied to my top lashes also and they grew out noticeably; my friends all saw the results, asked, and I got them on it as well (one of them had pulled out their lashes by accident and it grew them back out)! I also applied to my eye brows and it was definitely just as effective, although it wasn't overwhelmingly bushy which is nice. Also I haven't applied recently (plan on it again) but the results still remain from when I did apply before. And after a night's application, I just wash my face like normal and ta da!

I also tried this for my hair but I didn't see a huge difference in that. I tried two methods: mixing it in with shampoo during shower and applying directly to my scalp and leaving overnight with a shower cap. I must say I couldn't do it enough for leaving it on overnight to see results as it got very messy and felt like my head was suffocating but I did try the shampoo method for a while. It made my hair texture a bit...tough? I didn't like it, nor did I see results enough to continue so I would recommend it definitely for lashes and brows, but not so much in terms of your head hair.

Additionally, I wear glasses/contacts and I recommend you do this before you go to sleep because it will get all over your glasses if your lashes touch the lens, and if I put too much and it went in my eyes, it tended to blur my vision (doesn't hurt at all though and my eyes are quite sensitive). By morning it would get flushed out naturally so I never saw a problem when I woke up.

I was able to find the HomeHealth brand castor oil at the Whole Foods I have access to (although I think brand doesn't matter as much as whether it is cold pressed but I am no expert in that part). I also bought a small droplet bottle from the container store as the packaging for these are not too user-friendly and can get messy if you are using your hands (Q-tips work but the oil is very thick so it takes a bit to absorb into the cotton, and when I'm applying with my fingers, I rub them together to apply heat and make it a bit less thick to apply). Overall, highly recommend, and the price is not bad at all as it lasts forever (could even split a bottle with friends as it uses very little for face)!

*sidenote: I have also used this for mixing to do the oil cleansing method (I mixed with extra virgin olive oil to do once a week) and it worked splendidly though very messy; it seems pretty multifunctional which is a plus.

on 5/8/2015 8:43:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I started using Castor Oil (Banyan Botanicals Organic Castor Oil) because of all the eyelash reviews here. My lashes are short, thin and spaced irregularly, they tend to clump together so at any given moment they tend to look like I just woke up from a winter's-length hibernation. Nice, huh. I haven't used it long enough to give a truly definitive answer on the lash thing but it seems that my lashes might possibly be looking healthier, however I'll leave that part of the review to the hundreds below my review. And hope. The thing that has impressed me is that I can actually put castor oil on my face, that close to my eyes and it DOES NOT IRRITATE MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!! I have sensitive skin and extremely sensitive eyes so most any product that I use I have problems if it gets anywhere close to my eyes. Castor Oil is the exception. I wanted to announce this in hopes it might be of help to someone, somewhere along and down the line who needs oil near the eye area for whatever reason. Extremely gentle oil, I can even let it get in my eyes with zero irritation, yes, I applied the stuff directly to my lashes.

on 5/5/2015 10:20:00 AM

I have been applying it on the root of my eye lashes and eye brows before I go to bed about 4 times a week for 3 to 4 weeks now, I can see that my lashes has grown longer, but not fuller. I didn't see any difference on my eye brows though. Will keep on using and see how long my lashes can grow :)

on 4/28/2015 2:57:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I have been doing oil cleansing, and had castor oil in the mix along with coconut oil and soybean oil. I had been eyeing my lashes for the past few days thinking to myself that they looked thicker - like there were a lot more lashes along the base. Today when I put my mascara on, I was like HOLY COW! Something is making my eyelashes grow!! I realized it had to be the castor oil! Now, I don't put it specifically on my lashes, but apply it everywhere. I then use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe off my makeup and clean my skin - no soap, so I suppose it is hanging around the base of my lashes, which is where it needs to be if it is going to help your eyelashes (not applied with a mascara wand, unless you are really getting it onto the base of the lashes too).

Kowabunga man! I had no idea others were already onto this! I figured it had to the castor oil, because I know it is used for dry eye and works very well for that, so castor oil is pretty darn fantastic stuff as far as I am concerned. I am also rubbing it into my skin right before I get out of the shower to seal in moisture. I then follow it up with a good moisturizer that contains urea as at least the 3rd (if not 2nd) ingredient.

Now that I know it does such a fantastic job with eyelashes, it's going on my eyebrows and hairline as well!

on 4/16/2015 2:22:00 AM

With a nightly application of Castor oil my eyelashes have thickened dramatically and increased several millimeters in length. I saw results after around three weeks and have maintained the results by continuing to apply it several nights a week. Similarly my sister rescued her eyebrows from a disastrous threading experience which left them thin and patchy. Within a month of not touching her brows and applying the oil daily she had regained very thick eyebrows which were able to be shaped to her desire.I have also had success using this on stretch marks and as an under-eye moisturizer even though it is very viscous and takes a while to absorb. Its viscosity has largely prevented me from using it on my hair very frequently, though when mixed with a lighter oil like almond it is easier to use, and it works wonders for psoriasis/dry scalp. I sometimes use it to seal my ends but am not a fan of the stickiness. Ultimately a genuinely and remarkably effective product for hair growth - be patient and you should see results in two to four weeks.
UPDATE: After using this and other oils on my eyelashes and eye are with no problems, I have recently had an eye infection. Using this normally causes no issues (as long as you apply it with a mascara brush, wash your hands ect) but I had a bad cold and so maybe don't apply oil to your eyes if you have a respiratory infection bc it can easily spread despite your best efforts. I have resumed using it with no further issues.

on 4/15/2015 4:09:00 PM

I LOVE THIS. I use it every night for the past 2 weeks on my brows and lashes and noticed growth on both. I washed my old mascara and replaced its contents with castor oil for easy application at night and I leave it overnight. WORKS LIKE A CHARM. I tried using different (and expensive as hell) lash serums but those didn't work. The price is a huge bonus too, its 39php (less than $1USD) for small bottle and I'm guessing it would last a year or more.

The smell doesn't bother me at all as for the product's texture it gets absorbed after a few mins or so so It doesn't bother me as well.

10/10 would buy again.