Castor Oil

4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 8/16/2015 9:25:00 PM

I heard that this helps grow eyebrows. It didn't work for me and was a waste of time in that regard.
But I found that this works pretty well for oil cleansing when mixed with another oil (coconut, jojoba, avocado, whatever works for you). It's a thick oil and it adds a little more friction to the oil massage. I follow with a foaming cleanser and my skin is left super-clean.
But even so, I don't feel like this is something I can't live without. And when my bottle runs out I don't plan to repurchase.

on 8/13/2015 3:36:00 AM

Haven't used it as OCM or in my conditioner yet, but I have used it on my lashes and eyebrows. It's not a *miracle* product but I use it once or twice a week and I feel that it keeps them in better condition and they fall out less frequently which is half the battle to having good lashes. Mine are straight, but long and quite dense and dark, and occasionally I get dust more allergy which has me rubbing the life out of my eyes and losing loads of hairs in the process.

The way I do it is: take a Q-tip, turn my bottle of castor oil upside down and then use whatever is in the lid, apply to the top of my upper lashes, then the waterline bit, then the bottom lid. Smear the excess into my eyebrows. Always before bed, and after I've done everything as I wear glasses.

This definitely helps, they do seen longer and thicker but I'm sure it's simply because they are healthier. Always TEST patch, anything that's going so close to your eyes is something to be sceptical about. Err on the side of caution and be cynical. Will be using this mixed with coconut oil (maybe?) in the lower portion of my hair as I'm currently growing out an undercut, interested to see if it works.

on 8/6/2015 7:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I do not like this oil it seems to be making acne on my face which is a nono!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

You get your bang for your buck! Not only is this a great eyelash and eyebrow growth serum, but it works as an amazing oil cleansing method and makeup remover. I use this every day (1:1 ratio with coconut oil) as a makeup remover, and it brings everything out of the pores and dissolves all the makeup to wipe off very easily. I also used this for my Oil Cleansing Method, when my skin was going through some turmoil from trying out new products. I mixed it 1:1 with coconut oil, massaged it into my skin (removed makeup first) for about 2 minutes, then I got a damp hot cloth and placed it on my face (left the cloth on until it cooled down), then I wiped the cloth over my face to get the remaining oil off. I WAS AMAZED! Some very stubborn, painful acne had fiiiinally come to a head and were ready for extraction. i went in to pop one and two came out at once that were not even visible before! Definitely purged my skin fast and effectively; no waiting a few weeks for the purge to go down. My pores felt so clean without the dried out feeling, and my skin felt properly hydrated which is necessary for any skin type. If you're scared of putting oil on your skin because you have oily skin like myself, don't be! This is the one oil to try that is actually somewhat drying (if not mixed with another oil). Definitely worth the money for the awesome eyebrow and eyelash growth as well!!

on 7/29/2015 12:22:00 AM

Obsessed. For years I hunted for this stuff after seeing Pinterest rave about it, could not find it anywhere in stores or health food places, and gave up search. Silly me, it's easy to find via internet my gosh. I found a 4 oz. bottle (which will last me a long time!) online (eBay) for $4.69 +free shipping, from "Health & Beauty", Organic USP Grade Cold-Pressed Castor Oil. Not gonna lie, I have seen some seriously noticeable results. I originally wanted this product for my brows + lashes, which grew insanely fast + beautiful. Now I use it all over my dry/combo acne-prone face + body before I go to bed (I'm especially dry in the heat of California summer). I apply it at nightime by pouring a teaspoon in my hand + gently patting directly onto my eyelashes + eyebrows, then the rest under my eye + lids. I even noticed my under-eye dark circles dissipate. I am a huge fan of coconut oil for my skin but lately I prefer the thickness of castor oil for particularly dry areas. The smell does not bother me, nor does the thicker texture. Totally worth it + next time I'm buying a way bigger bottle from the same people to fill little bottles to share with my friends + family.

on 7/28/2015 1:18:00 PM

This is such a great product. I mix this in with my conditioner and then leave it on my hair for a few minutes when I'm in the shower. It makes such a difference in the softness in my hair. I noticed it really conditions my hair and leaves it softer and more manageable. It's a very thick consistency, so a little goes a long way. The smell is neutral, which I like. Definitely a gem of a product. Highly recommend!

on 7/13/2015 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I love castor oil. It is one of my favorite. It's a thick oil with a yellow tinge. It has an offensive smell but I tolerate it for the benefits. I use it on my eyebrows every now and then to fill out mishaps or too condition the area. I focus it on my hairline when it appears thin otherwise I rub a bit roughly all over to seal in moisture or pre-poo. What I get is soft glossy hair. Sometimes I cut it with another carrier oil to ease spreading.

on 7/6/2015 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have been using this on my eyelashes for over a year now. I have naturally long lashes and I wanted to keep them conditioned and potentially grow them longer (if possible). I really don't think this oil does anything in terms of growing/thickening eyelashes. There is only so much an oil can do. But this DOES leave my eyelashes very conditioned, which is perfect after a long day of a full face of makeup. Overall, if you are hoping for this to grow out your eyelashes you will probably be disappointed.

on 6/30/2015 1:49:00 PM

I've been using this for my sparse eyebrows for over a month and I see a difference but it doesn't seem very significant. I have stopped plucking except the necessary stray hairs here and there. I've quit trying to sculpt them while I use this. My brows are sparse with scarring FYI. The scars won't fill in but I do see some hair growth in the sparse parts. I don't think this is something that will give instant result, so just be aware of that. Maybe after a few more months maybe I'll have the desired results, fingers crossed.
Also, this is not like other oils, this is thick and sticky. Which is good because it doesn't run down my face. IF you want to use this for hair please get the PURE or UNREFINED. And also, COLD PRESSED.

on 6/27/2015 5:47:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This is a review for Now Foods Castor Oil.

I decided to try this oil after reading a lot of reviews from all over the web.

I wanted to try this for my hair cos my hair is in a bad state from the multiple chemical abuse I've put thru it. My hair is very dry and I think it has stopped growing. It's currently around my upper waist and I've been on biotin for the last 2 yrs and a yr of l-cystein and I suppose it has plateau off. I also trim my hair every 6mths.

The consistency is thick and sticky. I've used it for abt a week. I use 2 drops on my thick toweled dried hair ( I don't think it's thick, but my hairdresser said I have thick hair) after i shampooed and conditioned. When I go to bed, it's still slightly wet but when i comb out in the morning, it's all absorbed and my hair looks healthy and has a healthy shine to it.

I've tried it as a hair mask twice, by oiling the scalp with only castor oil and left it on for 4-6hrs. I noticed I shed a lot more after shampooing it off when I oil my scalp.

The next day when I shampoo my hair, I noticed I didn't shed as much. Maybe 10 strands? When I brush my hair after the wash and also the next day, i find significantly less hair shed on the brush.

The second time I mixed it with sunflower oil 1:1. I noticed a lot of shedding too and next day I didn't find any reduction of hair fall from the other days.

I also use this as a nighttime oil on my face.

I'm 36 but I look like I'm probably 25-28yrs old. I have a good skincare routine and I've tried many kinds of oils on my face (clarins' orchidee oil and lotus oil, Sisley's black rise oil, Argan oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, etc). All of them broke me out but castor oil did not. I used 3drops on my face at night on top on the existing creams I use and leave it to be absorbed. When I wake up in the morning my face is well moisturized and nourished. The fine lines under my eyes and the dehydration lines that are starting to show are also more plumped up.

I've not seen any increased in density or length in my lashes or eyebrows yet since it's just been a week but the castor oil didn't give me any problems when I use them around my eyes.

Video Reviews & Tutorials