Castor Oil

4.4

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 2/27/2015 3:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I started using castor oil a week ago for my eyelashes, eyebrows, and hair. I've been using it religiously at night before I go to bed, and I'm already seeing results! Both my hair and my lashes are shinier and thicker, and my hair has grown 1.2cm in 9 days, which I think is amazing! It's so soft now too ^.^ My lashes have also grown, and they're actually starting to wisp out at the corners. Overall I'm definitely pleased with what I'm seeing so far. I'm gonna continue using castor oil every night until my hair is as long as I want it to be :P I think it will be a holy grail item that I will be using for a long time.

* I've also been mixing in coconut oil, it makes the castor oil easier to apply since it's so thick. Coconut oil is another oil that promotes hair growth and health! Love it.

on 2/26/2015 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

DISCLAIMER: this is a cumulative review for a DIY hair mask that includes castor oil as a main component but it may not be the sole reason for the fantastic results I've yielded.

So I henna my hair and its in decent shape. I try to take good care of it despite heat styling regularly and I do tend to wash it daily with a sulfate free shampoo and color protecting conditioner. The daily washing obviously dries my hair out and my ends, from previous bleachings, are pretty fried/dry for the most part. All that being said, I've been looking for ways to improve its condition but without burning holes in my pockets as my visits to Sallys tend to do.

I've recently used coconut oil I'd say a total of 3 times (melt it down, apply, and let sit for an hour +) and its vastly improved my hair from a breakage standpoint. This is over the span of 2 weeks, people. Pretty impressive when I'm used to little hair fragments lining my palms while ringing my hair out only to see NOTHING since the coconut oil. So I delved a bit deeper into oils and hair remedies and this is what I've gathered:

Coconut oil (cold-pressed/organic 5$ at walmart)
Tea Tree Oil (small vial, 8.49 at Whole Foods)
Castor Oil (cold-pressed, 5.49 at Whole Foods)
Sweet Almond Oil (processing not specified, 6.49 at Publix)

I was too eager to try each item one at a time so this morning, I took my ingredients and added a little over a tbsp of coconut oil, 3 or so tbsp of almond oil, 4 or so tbsp of castor oil, and like 8 drops of tea tree oil (caution here as I've read it can be quite strong but I didn't feel anything)

I washed my hair with regular shampoo, towel dried it, and applied the warm concoction to my hair, starting at my ends. I really slathered it on and there was much leftover from my medium thick, shoulder length hair. I then really rubbed it into my scalp, covered with saran wrap and a shower cap for the drippies, then a warm towel and let it sit for 2 hours.

I washed my hair 3 times with a light shampoo (Miracle 7 Heavenly Healer) and conditioned it at the ends. (I should mention that because I like the smell I added a ton of tea tree to both my 'poo and conditioner before I washed too)

Anyways, my hair is fully dry now and I can't believe the results. It's like back to its virgin state before chemicals ever touched it (i.e. 9 years ago!). It's so so soft, but not in that silicone way that some conditioners and leave-ins cause. It's like the hair itself is restored. The shine level is 15 on a scale of 1-10 and it's got nice body. And this is one use here people! I bought all these items for growth but am content enough with just the state my hair is in now.

I spent less than 25$ on all these items which will last me a good while and combined they've worked better than any high end treatment/conditioner i've purchased. Try the mixture and see for yourself!

I have used grapeseed oil as my only oil for OCM for 8 months and decided to venture out with different oils: enter castor oil. My face was pretty much blemish free and smooth: no complaints! After using 20% castor oil & 80% grapeseed, my face was covered with under skin bumps within 2 uses. I know a purging face can happen, but I never experienced this when using just grapeseed. In my opinion, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I went back to grapeseed oil only, acv toner, and cerave (only until my acne cleared up). I gave the bottle of castor oil to my mom. Hopefully it'll make her eyelashes grow.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Castor oil is something I cannot live without! It is essential for my hair, eyebrow, and eyelash growth! I've used castor oil for quite some time and have seen major improvements on my eyebrow and eyelashes!

To apply I cleaned out an old mascara wand (Maybelline Great Lash Clear Mascara) and dip it into my castor oil, take off the excess, and apply to my brows and lashes every night. My eyebrows use to be sparse and extremely light, but now they are much fuller and darker! My lashes have significantly grown and thicken as well! I also apply it as a hot oil treatment weekly to my hair and same results.

on 2/2/2015 6:08:00 AM

Castor oil is a must have for anyone! I started off by using it on my eyelashes to promote healthy, luscious lashes. I didn't really believe they would promote new growth. I was wrong.

I believe because my lashes received the nourishment and care they needed, it promoted new growth. The little massage I do while applying it also helps. My lashes are fuller, longer, thicker, and just beautiful. I have been asked on several occasions what mascara I was using, when I was make up free!

How I use it: Mix some castor oil with another oil (optional, but suggested to help with spreading castor oil since its very thick) in a small container. I mostly use almond oil, or coconut oil if I ran out. I leave it in my bathroom cabinet and use once every night. I just dip my ring finger (its the gentlest when applying pressure) into the container and gently massage it on my lash line. Then I run my finger along the lashes with the left over oil that's on my finger. I do the same to my lower lashes sometimes.

I recently started using it in a mix for my hair. I will update soon with my progress!

on 1/28/2015 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I dont use this for my eyebrows since my eyebrows are already so full, but i heard castor oil can help grow your eyelashes as well. My eyelashes are very short and no amount of mascara ever helped give the effect of long lashes for me so i eventually gave up and started wearing falsies as part of my everyday routine. Fast forward to 9 days ago, i was looking at random reviews to find new products to try and i came across a blog where the blogger used castor oil to grow out her lashes, i then googled this bizarre trick only to find that its a very popular solution to growing lashes. I had a bottle of castor oil USP (the laxative one) so i started putting it on my upper lashline every night and in the short 9 days ive been using it, my eyelash length has doubled! I decided to test out my new found eyelash length last night by wearing mascara instead of falsies and everyone asked me if i was wearing my falsies! This stuff is amazing and so cheap, i will continue using this everynight!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I got castor oil about a week and a half ago to help grow out my eyebrows and what a difference its made! Ive been using it on my eyebrows and lashes over night, and my eyelashes are already flaring out at the corners and my lower lashes are growing farther in than they used to! Places where I never even had lashes are filling in rapidly! Its crazy! I just use my finger to apply them to lashes and brows after I remove all my makeup, before I go to bed.

I had a few gaps in my eyebrows from over tweezing. My thin, sparse brows are already filling in with thicker, darker new hairs! The only downside is that this oil is VERY sticky and hard to work with. It smells kind of odd as well, but in a strange way, I actually like the smell haha. Many people would probably hate the scent though, so thats something to look out for.

I don't know how it benefits hair yet. I've been massaging a few drops of castor on my scalp the night before a wash. I'll update later if I notice results! :)

EDIT 1/25/15: My eyelashes have gotten so thick! I can't even get my mascara on all of them! Curling my eyelashes used to be a daily necessity, now I don't have to curl them anymore! They haven't been getting much longer recently, I think I've pushed them to get as long as they're gonna get, they have been getting darker though and I am getting more volume as well! I massage this oil into my scalp at least an hour before a wash and I haven't noticed a difference with my hair growth yet.

My skin has been getting so dry recently due to the freezing, winter weather. I've been doing to oil cleansing method along with coconut oil, and my skin feels so silky once I do this!

on 12/23/2014 6:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I bought a bottle of castor oil to try for the oil cleansing method a while ago, but I didn't like it for that so I gave it a shot on my brows after seeing some of the positive reviews on Makeupalley. I use a tiny drop shared across both brows with a quick swipe of my finger, focusing on my poor bald spot in my brows. I've been using it consistently each night for about a month, and unfortunately the results are no different than when I used Vaseline previously.

I have read that moisturizers like Vaseline and castor oil don't help with encouraging actual hair growth but they do prevent breakage of the hair, which leads to the appearance of faster growth. Other people may have different experiences, but for me this is spot on since my brows are a tiny bit longer than they were before. However, in the one spot where I over tweezed and sorely wish I hadn't, there has not been any new growth.

Overall, this didn't work for me in the way I had hoped (stimulating growth in my eyebrow bald spot), but it still was effective at conditioning my brow hairs and preventing breakage. If you have some castor oil (or any other oil/petroleum jelly) around, it may be worth giving a shot but it's not something I would repurchase specifically for this purpose.

on 12/17/2014 10:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

I tried castor oil about a year or so ago to grow out my edges and help my poor wimpy little eyebrows but wasn't consistent with it and just couldn't seem to get it to work for me. I was making the mistake of using it plain and no matter how small of an amount you use, if you use it alone it will be too thick and sticky.

Fast forward to about 3 months ago and i started mixing it with avocado oil (1/3 castor oil, 2/3 avocado oil) in a small bottle for removing eye makeup and i started noticing how much thicker and longer my lashes looked. I noticed they were fuller first and now they're longer, to the point that it looks like i'm wearing one coat of mascara even when they're bare. I've started to using around my edges in the front to hopefully grow out my bangs faster. Good stuff and it really does work if you use it sparingly and consistently.

on 12/14/2014 6:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This stuff is the HG to growing your hair out. I use it once every two weeks and it has shown improvement.

Also helped growing my eyebrows out when the girl who waxed them waxed too much off.

I use it also for my eyelashes at night and as an OCM

Definitely an investment you'll enjoy.

Popular Brows Products