Kiss Me HEROINE MAKE long and curl mascara (black)

4.3

on 3/24/2015 4:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I asked my mom to bring me back some Heroine Make mascaras when she visited Taiwan (January 2015). So she brought back 2 different types of "long and curl" mascara, one of them being super waterproof and the other being super film. I think the mascara that is pictured is an old version because I've purchased that one a few years ago.

Super waterproof: tube is a dark purple metallic color with silver writing and the smooth handle of the tube is pink-silver. The formula is kind of wet with little fibers and the brush is ever so slightly curve and very small. I prefer this one as you can actually (patiently) build up the mascara and have relatively long lashes. This mascara doesn't really hold a curl well and does not give any volume at all. It is also pretty difficult to remove so use a dual-phase eye makeup remover (my favorite is by Mandom).

Super film: tube is black with gold writing and the ribbed handle of the tube is gold. I HATE THIS ONE SO MUCH!!! The brush is curved but much fatter than the waterproof version. The formula is wet but there are so many fibers in it that it feels dry. The fibers don't cling to my lashes so it's impossible to layer. And whatever amount I do get on my lashes, it tends to flake off really badly by the evening, getting into my eyes and on my contacts. This one just requires some warm water to remove it but it's messy because it breaks down into tiny pieces.

on 3/17/2015 9:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

This is my first review after a long while! I really like this mascara, I had received this as a gift and fell in love. I have somewhat long but straight lashes, and I ONLY use waterproof mascaras since regular mascaras don't hold my curl. This mascara didn't curl my lashes for me, as I'd wish - I still have to curl my lashes, but it does hold my curl, feels lightweight, and lengthens them (and it's not even waterproof). If you are looking for a mascara that gives you a dramatic lashes, this isn't for you. It gives off a more natural, clump-free, clean lash look for days where I just want to look more natural. I just apply one coat and it's enough for me. I like the curved brush and how easy it is to remove, you can use a regular/oil-free makeup remover and it just takes it all off. The packaging of the Kiss Me products are always cute too! I have just repurchased this on ebay and it is a bit pricey, but to me, it's worth it. I might try their other mascaras too!

PROS:
- Clump free
- Lengthens lashes
- Holds curl
- Clean and natural looking
- Lightweight (doesn't feel like you're wearing any mascara)
- Cute packaging

CONS:
- Pricey (around the $18 range)
- Hard to find in stores (unless you live near an Asian beauty store, you probably have to purchase online)

on 3/9/2015 7:48:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I bought this because I was suckered into the reviews of crazy long lashes. My lashes are short and fine, so I usually go for mascaras that do it all in terms of thickening and lengthening. However, I couldn't resist the siren call of long, fluttery lashes for "natural" makeup days, so I purchased this for 18.99 CAD (super pricey for me when my HG mascara is $5...). Packaging is cute and bright, and the brush looks like it works as it's a scoop shape. This does hold a curl all day and is waterproof, so no problem there. However, this mascara DID NOT lengthen my lashes any more than a regular mascara would. To compare, I have Maybelline The Falsies in waterproof and it looks the exact same as the Heroine Make. Seriously, why do I need this overpriced mascara shipped to me from overseas when I can just get something at the drugstore?

Also, this was easy to take off with baby oil, so there's that I guess...but this also transferred onto my oily eyelids if I didn't give it enough time to dry. No thanks.

on 2/7/2015 7:51:00 AM

I am honestly surprised by the good reviews here. Maybe I got a bad one? The formula is so wet that my eye lashes would droop right away. FYI, I have straight eye lashes. And I really need mascaras that can hold up the curls well. This did none of that. Interestingly enough, the Heroine Make Volume and Curl works great for me.

on 2/1/2015 10:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I've long been a fan of Maybelline's Full 'n Soft Mascara. In fact, It's the only mascara I used (I've bought 4-5 tubes, waterproof & regular combined) before I discovered Heroine Make. With the Full 'n Soft, I liked the results I got from the regular, but the waterproof was lacking compared to the regular formula. BUUT, that meant that I would have to look at the weather to determine if I should wear regular/waterproof mascara. Either way, it ends up smudged on my under-eye area. (Not saying that Heroine Make doesn't smudge--it does)

For $14 a tube on eBay (2x the price of Maybelline), I was hesitant to try the cult favorite, especially since it's for length (I have super long eyelashes, so I usually gravitate volumizing mascaras). But in Tokyo, where I'm living now, it's a much more reasonable 1,000. Still more expensive than the Maybelline & other mascaras, but OH SO WORTH IT!! The before/after difference is incredible & what I LOVE LOVE LOVE is its ABILITY TO HOLD MY EYELASH CURL. The application is also super easy with the curved brush, which only select mascaras have.

The ONLY COMPLAINT I have is it's slight stubbornness. I use DHC's cleansing oil (basically olive oil) to remove my make-up and it'll come off, but it is necessary to patiently scrub for a bit longer than I otherwise would.

Overall amazing product I can see myself buying over a lifetime. You'll never go back to that Maybelline sh*t ever again. The difference is so big you wouldn't believe it. There's definitely room for improvement, but this is as close to mascara perfection as you'll get.

on 1/19/2015 3:39:00 AM

First time I tried this, it smudged everywhere. I swore off it as it also made my lashes super spindly, though it held a great curl.

Second time, same tube, I layered under HG CG Lashblast Fusion - hmmm, good curl, but ended up with way too much mascara on because the lashblast brush couldn't brush easily through the lashes.

Third time's a charm? Worked slowly and in layers - got long and clump free lashes that stayed curled in perfect position all day. No smudging.
Turned out I just had to keep eyes at half mast until each layer dried (which happens fairly quickly). I used to apply a coat and then immediately apply another one, but for this, best is to apply a few strokes, and then switch eyes, and then reapply the next coat.
Second other reviews in not much volume here though - it's mostly about the length and curl. Also, PITA to remove - but much easier once you add in a oil remover. I use an oil cleanser for a facewash anyways, so it works out easily for me.

on 1/15/2015 11:42:00 AM

This is my go-to mascara. The first time I tried it on, I was hooked. Having extremely short and straight lashes make my hunt for mascara so expensive. Since buying this particular one, I have tried various others but I always go back to this one in the end. I've tried Dior, MUFE, Burberry, Majolica Majorca (a close second HG!), Lancome, the Volume version of this, Maybelline (almost all!) and L'oreal Telescopic (Gold packaging, third HG) but this one just beats everything. I can put on one coat of this and it's comparable to three coats of other mascaras. This is a reaaaaal pain to take off, but I bought the makeup remover and it works like a dream! Also, I buy the mascara whenever I'm in Japan, so it retail for 900yen or so, translates to $9~. Super cheap, super effective, i loveeee! I have converted so many people to this mascara!

on 1/12/2015 11:29:00 AM

Oh my, in the minority again. Shocking! I hate this mascara - really hate it. Extremely fiber-y, super dry, and very dull - almost gray as opposed to black. It made my lashes crunchy - and almost straightened them! Exactly the opposite of what I'm going for. I saw so many rave reviews for this that I couldn't help but try it - I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for a great mascara. To be totally fair - I did buy on Ebay, so I may have gotten an old tube. It just didn't do what I wanted it to - so back to my old standby.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Helloooooo HG mascara! Where have you been all my life? I've used about maybe 3 tubes of this mascara already so I have finally decided to review it!

I have short stubby asian lashes... yuck! They're practically nonexistent.

But this HG mascara does wonders. After using an eyelash curler, I quickly apply two layers of this mascara. It does what its name states: LONG and CURL! After 3 tubes, this mascara has never failed to keep a curl through sweat and tears and long, long hours.

Don't expect this to be voluminizing as well, though. This mascara does its job -- making your lashes long and keeping curls, but that's it. I have no problem with that as I normally pair this up with another voluminizing mascara (Covergirl or Jordana works well).

I use this mascara as a base, always, because it never fails to keep a curl. I use it by itself for natural looking lashes but I pair it with other mascaras for a more dramatic look. I also use this to keep the curl when I wear fake lashes so it blends really well with them!

The curve on the brush really enhances the application as well, IMHO.

-1 lippie for:
*Price and availability. It translated to roughly $12-13 USD I believe. I bought it while I was in HK at Sasa but I live in America. I don't know where to get it here without ordering online... boo!
*It is a huge PITA to remove. The oil remover it comes with makes this easier but without it, I find that even my best eye makeup removers take a lot of effort. However, this isn't a huge problem because I guess it really shows that this won't smudge or budge during the day... NO MATTER WHAT!

Overall, yes yes yes, I recommend it! I'm mascara-crazy. I love trying new mascaras! So finally settling down to one mascara took a lot of courage, but this mascara deserves the HG title.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

My lashes typically droop as soon as I apply mascara and as such, this has become my favourite mascara as it manages to hold a curl on them throughout the entire day. It adds a lot of length to lashes and is also incredibly waterproof. However, due to its waterproof-ness, it requires an oil based remover to remove which some might find annoying. I did feel that just as I was going to throw it out it stared smudging a little on the lower lash line later on in the day. It is very much a lengthening and curling mascara (hence its name) so users expecting volume should probably look elsewhere.

Pros:
-Holds a Curl
-Waterproof
-Lasts through the day

Cons:
-Requires oil based remover
-Can smudge as it gets older
-Strictly curling and lengthening

Top Rated Kiss Me Products