April 18, 2014 | 1814 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 1 of 5 on 4/15/2014 4:08:00 PM More reviews by missmelodya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

so i took biotin (in a multivitamin - only 100% RDA) for over 3 years. in those 3 years, i thought the culprit for my cystic acne was the mini pill. while i'm sure the mini pill did not help things, it was last week when i was informed BIOTIN was causing my cystic acne! this was news to me.

biotin caused my heart rate to increase dramatically - pretty incredible considering i am a non-smoking, incredibly fit (exercise daily) person. it triggered severe panic attacks off the back of heart palpitations - i really thought i was going to die. in speaking with my doctor about this last week (after blowing into his office without an appointment conviced i was having a heart attack) i was informed this is not an unusual side effect (among many others apparently) and instructed to discontinue use immediately. have been bedridden for days recovering from the coronary stress biotin use caused. do not even get me started on the migraines. if you have a history of heart disease in your family and/or are prone to migraines, do not take this stuff. it is not worth the risk.

my face is still going through it, it looks like it is starting to clear up now but a few cysts are coming to the surface. not sure if this is the skin "purging" below the skin cysts caused by 3+ years of daily biotin use, but i've already noticed my skin looking younger since quitting. i swear to yall this stuff aged my skin, and all this time i thought it was progesterone. my dark undereye circles are becoming much less prominent and my limbs no longer tingle at whim.

people will say "you need to drink more water!" well, according to medical professionals, no amount of water consumption makes biotin universally safe for everyone to use, at any microgram amount. while i do not negate biotin works for some people, it is not a cure-all for everyone. in fact, for some, it does far more harm that good.

on the plus side, it did cause my hair to grow incredibly fast. however it made absolutely no difference whatsoever to my nails, and totally ravaged my skin from the inside out.

if you intend to take biotin, please speak with your doctor before use. i wish i had.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2014 12:21:00 PM More reviews by chimera59

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I tried this after reading rave reviews for using it for nail growth, as my nails are typically weak and peeling and I often get painful horizontal breaks in the quick of my nails. I started taking this and about a week in, I started to get acne all over me chin. I normally don't have any breakouts. It then became cystic acne which took a really long time to clear up. Maybe this works for some, and I wonder if the correlation with acne has anything to do with hormones and the individual. Needless to say, I won't be trying this again and I'm just sticking with nail treatment products instead of supplements.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/1/2014 1:29:00 PM More reviews by Kittyaddict

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I had read all of the horror stories about cystic acne breakouts due to biotin, but I was growing out henna and so desperate for faster hair growth that I thought I would take a chance and give it a go anyway, and man was I sorry! Despite drinking copious amounts of water, within 3 days my skin erupted into a horrible mess, and it took about 3 weeks to clear once I stopped taking it. This has caused me to go off vitamins and supplements altogether. I'll get my nutrients from good food, thank you very much. Other than fish oil and minerals, I will stay well clear!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2014 6:24:00 PM More reviews by pictureperfect09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been taking biotin on its own or within a hair, nails, and skin complex for over 2 years now. I figure by now I should have a solid opinion about it, and the more I think, the more I have realized I've only kept taking it still hoping to get the awesome results it seems other people have experienced.

From my experience, I can't say that taking it long term will be a miracle worker for you. My nails haven't become noticeably stronger and my hair seems nice and soft, but I have been less harsh on my hair lately in general. I stopped taking it for a few of months, then went back to it and noticed no difference. It makes perfect sense that there are no studies that actually show biotin is proven to speed up hair or nail growth, yet I bought in to positive reviews to no avail. The only people who will definitely see an improvement from taking it are people who have a biotin deficiency. Also, most of the biotin vitamins I see at drugstores are super overpriced. Considering how much money I've pretty much money I've spent and how many bottles I've been through, if you're gonna go for it it's not worth it to pay a premium price for a brand name when a generic or sale product will do.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2014 12:03:00 AM More reviews by ksdjfklsdjf

I decided to try biotin supplements because I noticed my skin has been looking more dull and I've had some undereye bags. I was taking 1 pill a day of the Spring Valley brand (10,000 mcg with 100 mg Keratin). The first few days I noticed a glow to my skin and also noticed my nails and hair growing and getting stronger. I was very excited. However, after about another week I noticed I started breaking out on my chin (a place I never break out) and also was having severe bowel problems (which I also never have). This product is supposed to help with metabolism but it seemed to cause just the opposite for me. I felt very bloated and was in bed for a whole day due to a very ill stomach and diarrhea. To be fair, afterwards I realized you are supposed to drink a lot of water while taking these supplements. All I drink is water but perhaps I wasn't hydrating myself enough? All in all, the few benefits I received were nowhere near worth all the adverse side effects! Perhaps a different dosage and brand would have different results, but I will no longer be taking biotin supplements and would have to say that I would not recommend them to others.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/26/2014 11:41:00 PM More reviews by woobwoob

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

One side effect I hadn't heard anyone mention before I bought this is that it makes you really tired. I'd say within 15 minutes of taking it my eyes felt so heavy, like I'd been up all night or something. At first I thought I just wasn't getting enough sleep, but once I paid attention to it I realized it was this stuff.

I didn't take it for long enough to really notice any hair growth, although I did think my hair was looking shinier already. My nails grow fast normally so I didn't notice much there either. I bought the Sundown Naturals brand "Hair, Skin, and Nails" which contains 5000 mcg of biotin per serving, as well as quite a few other vitamins(including other B vitamins). I noticed a few small whiteheads but nothing ridiculous in terms of breaking out, and I could have been drinking more water so ultimately - aside from the extreme tiredness - it was just down to me getting into better habits while taking this.

I'm planning to continue taking them but I think I'll definitely need to take them right before bed, otherwise I can't stay awake.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/25/2014 11:49:00 PM More reviews by diana33dayman

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i cannot tell the difference after taking biotin pills for a year. i guess i wasted over $100 on these pills.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2014 3:58:00 PM More reviews by olivialoaf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

My hair was falling out due to hypothyroidism. I took 1000mcg of biotin a day- I couldn't find higher doses available in Canada. This product stopped my hair loss and my hair and nails began growing very fast. Note that other hair seemed to also grow- my eyebrows ended up looking like old-man eyebrows. I was ecstatic about these results as dealing with hair loss was very emotional.

However, I broke out with horrible cystic acne. I've always had great, compliment-receiving skin. I developed huge cysts in the middle of my cheeks that took MONTHS to go away. Very embarrassing, painful and virtually impossible to cover.

I drank a huge amount of water, tried various acne products, and keep in mind I was taking a much lower dose of Biotin compared to other reviewers. Biotin is obviously very powerful but might cause side effects.

Ultimately I decided I could deal with mediocre hair to keep my clear skin. I take 500mg of biotin only about once a week now and my skin and hair look great.

I would be very cautious about taking huge doses of any supplement, especially without professional advice.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/21/2014 2:27:00 PM More reviews by yasminamo

Biotin did wonders to my hair. It made it longer, shinier, and prettier. However, it made me break out like CRAZY. I am not the only one this has happened to you can look it upÖ It's so sad because the product is wonderful but has terrible side effects. Once I stopped taking Biotin my acne went away. Such a shame!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2014 8:53:00 PM More reviews by maca7

Why I love it:

I decided to try Biotin as a way to make my hair grow faster and it has worked like a charm! I am taking the maximum strength tablets (10, 000mcg). I canít say if it has made my hair stronger, as my hair is generally healthy and I make sure I take good care of it by using a variety of conditioners and leave-in serums, but my hair seems to be more resilient to heat damage from styling tools and less prone to breakage.

My nails are also growing faster than usual and are no longer breaking as easily.
Some reviews mention that biotin may cause you to break out, but I havenít noticed any extra break outs.

Biotin regulates energy metabolism and helps stabilize blood sugar levels, so an added perk is having more energy and being less susceptible to low blood sugar.

Things to keep in mind:

It is important to keep in mind that there is no magic pill to make your nails and hair grow strong and shiny overnight. There are a variety of nutrients you need to keep your hair and nails healthy, such as zinc, magnesium, vitamin A and folic acid. Supplements can help you improve your intake of those nutrients, but they can't substitute a healthy diet.