Lemon Juice

5% to 6% (approximately 0.3 M) citric acid, Vitamin C, pH 2 to 3

on 3/22/2015 10:46:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Lemon has so many health benefits for not just your skin, but the entire body! I'm loving it! I don't put this on my face directly, as I have sensitive skin and I just couldn't imagine that being good for the skin. But I slice fresh lemon(sometimes limes too!) in house temperature water. That is what I drink everyday, all day. Not sure if it's the combination of the water and lemon, but my skin has detoxified and is so much more clarified. It's soft, bright and glowing! It's clear and I couldn't say that for a long time, very effective if used long term

on 2/26/2015 12:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is extremely underrated considering how cheap and wonderful it is. That said, I believe this only works well for those with OILY, acne-prone skin, which is not prone to becoming too dry or irritated. I would also suggest not using it if you are a darker skin tone, because lemon is known to lighten skin over time. I used to use Peter Roth unwrinkle pads as my glycolic acid treatment, and loved it. However, the price was steep and my dermatologist told me if I was really that interested in acid, salycilic acid would be best. She advised me against using lemon juice straight, but since I had recently hit money problems it was as cheap as it could get. She told me she had used it as a teenager back in Serbia with 2 parts water as a toner and a good cream after at night, and the results were great. And so, I did the same that night (with the water, straight will burn and irritate), and felt some tingling but was overall fine and went to sleep. I continued doing this for a 2 weeks, and I am SO happy I did this! My acne scars have lightened dramatically more than with the peel pads, and I used those for a month! I have also been less oily, but not dry, and have been having less breakouts. Makeup looks much smoother and my skin seems to look less red and irritated when I choose to go bare. If you're on a budget, and you want to try something new for what I listed above, I say go for it! Super cheap, cost-effective, simple to do and all natural. What's not to like? And of course I'll repurchase, I always have lemons around anyway for lemon water. Best night toner ever.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

on 12/27/2014 6:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I tried lemon after reading rave reviews practically everywhere. It seemed perfect; it's cheap, simple and I know enough about science to know it's a citrus fruit and these are very acidic meaning it's a natural skin lightener. My first impression was that it stung, a lot, even though I diluted it 60:40 (Lemon:Water). But this was bearable to be fair and I slightly expected it to happen anyway. It then gave my skin a tight feeling, but the surface felt smooth to the touch. After 2 weeks, I evaluated the progress my face had made. I put lemon on consistently two times a day, never failing to do this. My skin had broken out, felt dry & nothing happened to the scarring. I know this would probably work if I continued it but I couldn't bring myself to. I'm now using vicco turmeric cream which I cannot rave about enough. It has improved my face so much. I have no breakouts now; and it feels soo much better. It's also helping the scarring slowly, but it's so good I'm willing to wait. Its so much better than Lemon or the Garnier Dark Spot cream which I tried too. I would recommend trying it! It's £7.99 for a medium size tune on Amazon, so it's not as cheap as lemon but one tube lasts around 2-3 months if you use it twice a day.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

this is (hands down) the best way to brighten your skin, even out oiliness, and fade scars or redness. i dillute the juice of a whole lemon with filtered water (1/10), then strain out any pulp or seeds. put it in a tupperware and leave it in the fridge. apply with a cotton ball at the end of the night, let dry, and apply night cream/moisturizer. it has worked miracles for me. i've had the same red spots for years because of acne i picked at when i was younger. gone now! costs barely anything at all, lemons are about 10 cents at the farmer's market near me. it's also helps with puffiness and my dark circles. i got results after the first night i used this recipe and have been using this for months now. it is perfect for me, although if you have dry or sensitive skin, you should probably dillute the lemon juice more or use it only 2 or 3 times a week. i recommend this to all my friends.

***********use this at night, before bed, as the acidity of the lemon juice may be too intense combined with sunlight.************

on 9/24/2014 2:52:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I used this for skin lightening and notice no significant results. I am not even sure if this worked or if they just lightened over time.
It also feels sticky and gross on the skin.
I stopped using this as I saw no real improvement.
I do use this in my diy scrubs

I use brown sugar, olive oil, and lemon.
Works wonderfully and skin soo smooth and soft after.
I make a batch and keep in my shower.
Works great on the face and I try to use at least once a week on my face for exfoliation.
I use 3-4x a week on my body.

on 9/14/2014 3:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I had hyper pigmentation in my face sense my early teen years... I tried lotions but rubbing a lemon on my face did the trick my face looks normal now and I barely get pimples maybe one just before my period .. I see people giving up on lemon because it stings or dries you out my advice is wash your face well, pat dry then add a good moisturizer or lotion to your face, some moisturizers are too light and the lemon will still sting and dry you out, so a good lotion like aveeno or curel for itchy dry skin is the one I use, I put it on let it dry and sink in my pores then I rub the lemon before bed, I go to sleep and wash until morning ...I guarantee with a good lotion you won't have problems and the lemon will still do it's magic give it a try it's cheap and works !!! "

on 8/28/2014 5:02:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I'm on day 3 of using lemon juice. I started using it out of desperation really cause I broke down and decided to introduce liquid foundation into my beauty arsenal and my skin is hating me for it.
The very first time I put it on my face omg, the burning was horrible! Think about how when you squeeze a lemon all of a sudden you realize you must have microscopic cuts on your hands cause your hands are burning really bad but you know you didn't see any cuts before squeezing it. That's how bad the burning felt I really wished I had used discretion when I decided to apply it to my face undiluted. So I decided to splash some cool water on my face over the lemon juice and that helped so much. I now dilute the lemon juice to a ration of 50/50.
This stuff has definitely impressed me. I've had a big pimple brewing on the side of my nose (a place I never get pimples), a deep one too. I took a cotton swab and rub some lemon juice on it and I noticed through the day the pimple started shrinking. I'm impressed.
I've also had some closed blackheads (not a solid, open blackhead but eventually will turn into one) on my cheeks, they came out of nowhere, and I put lemon juice on them, they came to a head and I was able to pop them (not all of them though) , they scabbed up and have healed up in a matter of days. And they're not red either like these kinds of blemishes would be on me.
People are saying this helps their acne scars, when I think of scars I think of pock marks for some reason, not the pigmentation scars from acne (I wish those were the kind of scars i had). This will not help the pock marks, which I do have. It will help to cut down the redness you have from a superficial scar though. btw, most things such as cleansers and lemon juice will not take away pock marks, you need something much more strong like a TCA peel or microdermabrasion.
This has also balanced out my oiliness as well. After trying ACV and it threw off my natural oil balance, leaving me with horrible overly oily skin, lemon juice has managed to balance out my oil production so now I'm not so oily. This is only day 3 so I will come back to update but I'm so impressed with this after only 3 days. Lemon juice has helped my skin so much in such a small amount of time.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

All I can say is, WOW! This has almost gotten rid of my acne scars! I use this 5 to 6 times a week at night. NEVER use this in the morning cuz if you go out, the lemon juice will kill your skin when mixed with UV rays! Anyway, I wash my face and I put this on my skin with a cotton pad, leave it on for about half an hour to three hours, then I wipe it off with a cotton pad with witch hazel, (so I still have a small bit of lemon juice on my face before I moisturize) and then I put on moisturizer. I've been doing this for a couple months now and my scars are almost invisible! Although, I will say that if you have sensitive or dry skin, you should leave this on for less than 30 minutes or not do this process at all, as it might make your skin irritated or itchy. This is best for acne- prone and oily skin. Hope this works for you!

on 8/16/2014 5:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I'm not going to sugar coat this - we'll maybe I am. Lemon juice is ACID, so those with sensitive skin should steer clear. Also, please don't use this treatment in the morning. My favorite way of using lemon juice is making it into a mask by added 3-4 drops with chilled green tea, a spoonful of honey, and oatmeal. This concotion makes for a brightening and moisturizing DIY skin treatment.

Popular Treatments (Face)