Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 - Oil Free

3.5

Active Ingredients: Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Ethylhexyl Salicylate. Ingredients- Water, Disiloxane, Peg-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Phenoxyethanol, Boron Nitride, Jojoba Esters, Magnesium Stearate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Squalane, Laryl PCA, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tetradibutyl Pentaerithrityl Hydroxyhydrocinnammate, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearrate, Disodium Edta, PPG-15, Stearyl Ether, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizinate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxide (CI 77492), Iron Oxide (CI 77491), Iron Oxide (CI 77499)

Nope. I really wanted to like it, though. In the interests of not looking like Rudolph, I generally wear a skosh of mineral powder to cover up decades of nose abuse. (It's a bit red.) As my pores are starting to look like the surface of the moon, I figured a bit o'spackle might help. So a helpful kid at Sephora talked me into this stuff, when what I really should have bought was a travel tube of the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer in green. I admit that I don't use moisturizer, and I thought this might be a nice way to start with something that could even out my incipient blotches. I even bought one of those egg shaped spongy things to apply it, even if my fingers turned out to be better at smoothing it out. The color blended nicely with my own splotchy face, and it doesn't seem to crease or flake. But I broke out within 24 hours of the first application. Unacceptable. I waited a couple of weeks for the redness and swelling to go away. Maybe I'm just hormonal, I thought. So I gave it another shot--and again, zits erupted exactly where I'd used this. So I shelved it. I've never worn foundation, and even concealer (beyond dealing with my flat, fuchsia nose) is a rarity for me, so I think maybe my expectations for this product were unfair. But anything that makes me break out is my enemy. I didn't toss it, and I've used it a couple of times as a base for eyeshadow, which I almost never wear because I don't know how to apply it without ending up looking like someone punched me dead in the face. But at least it didn't leave me with eyelid pimples!

I wanted to like this product because it was difficult to accept the fact that I spent $44 on something that didn't live up to my expectations. This was everything I wouldn't expect in a tinted moisturizer - it wasn't blendable at all, wasn't "undetectable", it's almost like a light liquid foundation. I would say that it's just that, actually. Often it is too cakey and makes my skin look dull and dead. Because of its thickness and cakiness it manages to make my normal-dry skin greasy. Sometimes I can make it work and I actually look radiant wearing it, but I can never figure out what is the thing that I do differently when I am able to achieve that, it's like it's always a different experience every time. And that isn't a good sign because it's a tinted moisturizer - it's supposed to be a fuss-free base, right? The good thing is it's indeed lightweight and long wearing.

I want to try the original version since I hear it's more blendable and more like what a tinted moisturizer should be.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I'm disappointed with this product especially because it's Laura Mercier ...I thought it would be great as I had bought another foundation product from this name and it was really good. Because they don't sell that one I originally bought, I was told to buy this product. It doesn't spread and absorb in my skin even after I try blending for a while with 2 different brushes, the foundation accumulates all on my t-zone...I had to go and buy another brand ..waste of money and I'm not happy given how expensive it is

Went to Sephora to get this in the lightest shade, but they told me to get the second lightest shade which I did try and it looked fine. Unfortunately when i applied it on my face, it get oxidised very quickly and at some point it looks cakey when i dust it over with Bobbi Brown powder.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Not bad, but no miracles either. I like it a lot more than foundation because it's much quicker in the mornings for work and doesn't feel like I'm wearing a ton of makeup.

For reference, I apply it and then follow up with a setting spray and powder. I wouldn't wear this product without powder because it is VERY dewy, to the point of looking oily.

It's very light coverage (obviously) and I wouldn't say it evens out my skin tone completely - mostly it just gives me a bit of extra oomph in the skin department. If you're aiming for totally flawless skin I'd skip this product and use foundation, but if you want the my-skin-but-better look then this is great. It's a tinted moisturizer - don't expect it to have coverage even close to a foundation.

My biggest complaint is the staying power - it lasts maybe half the day. I know TM usually doesn't last as long as foundation but I still think they could improve upon it. I probably won't repurchase because I want to give the NARS tinted moisturizer a go.

Seems to discolor throughout the day and causes unflattering shine. Not for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have normal to dry skin, but I picked this up to try as I live in a very hot & humid climate, and dislike anything shiny or greasy. I have used both the "regular" & illuminating LM tinted moisturizers and was not thrilled with the finish or lasting power of either one. This oil-free version gives a semi-matte natural finish. I apply & blend it with a synthetic brush and it blends easily & absorbs like a dream. I always set my foundations with powder, and this one is no exception. I find that it lasts all day on me and never oxidizes or looks cakey/heavy/greasy. I love that it is a natural look that lets my skin show through. It comes in a large squeeze tube, which is hygenic & easy to dispense the amount you need. I am not sure that any tinted moisturizer is going to work well on truly oily skin, and it is certainly not going to work if you need something with heavy coverage. For my skin, I am very happy with this and will definitely repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Thank goodness I had a generous sample of this. I was so disappointed. I tried it for a week. It's so watery, that does not sit well with my oily skin. I feel like I had to layer too much to get adequate coverage- even for a tinted moisturizer, it just didn't cover. It was also extremely pink, even for my neutral skin (I tried the Blush shade). It's too expensive to be a subpar product. I have really sensitive skin and it didn't break me out, which is a plus.

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Really quite disappointed with this tinted moisturiser... had such high expectations because of the ridiculously high price, but the performance was below average.

Was reading through the other reviews and no one else seemed to point out that it has the same "breaking into water" consistency as maybelline's pure bb mineral water gel, where you can see little water droplets forming when swiped on a plastic surface? its great that it has this since it makes it so hydrating, but it also makes it quite difficult to spread. this moisture also does no good for oily skin. I have oily combo dehydrated skin, and it looks lovely and dewy when applied, but quickly turns super greasy after a few hours (even with layers of mattifying powder).

but the most disappointing thing is that it breaks up on my face. not sure if its due to its combination with the powder (rimmel stay matte), but around my t zone, where my skin is oiliest, there was obvious breaking up of colour, pores emphasized and all. I find that I experience this with many of my base products so it might be just me though. other than that, the coverage is very sheer, and barely does anything for evening out my skin.
this product will really only work for someone who has dry skin with no unevenness whatsoever.

Pros: nice, luminous finish. decent coverage and staying power. Cons: very tacky, requires a brush - cannot be spread with fingers (unless you want an uneven finish). doesn't really emphasize pores but definitely doesn't help to soften them. /// ended up returning this, i now use the NARS Pure Radiance Tinted Moisturizer instead