Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

4.3

Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Caprylic/capric Triglyceride, Sorbeth-30 Tetraoleate, Polyethylene, Peg-5 Glyceryl Triisostearate, Water, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol

on 7/27/2015 9:08:00 AM

i use this stuff for facial massage because lisa eldridge told me to:

(i basically do whatever lisa eldridge tells me to do even if she is an eccentric millionaire who is getting me into a ton of credit card debt.)

i really like the packaging, and it feels satisfyingly heavy and substantial even though it's plastic. the silver and purple are really pretty and you get a lot of it, i've had mine for ages and it's not even half gone yet. the packaging design means i do have to be really careful to make sure my hands are completely clean before i dig into this stuff, but you could use a spatula to get the product out if you wanted. i prefer it to a tube because it just feels more old hollywood glamorous to me to unscrew a big wide lid of something, but that's probably just me.

the product smells really nice and i like the texture of it and how it responds to being warmed up in your hands. i've tried the boots botanics cleansing balm, and i found that was quite heavy and oily, whereas this is nice and light and doesn't feel greasy on your skin. it washes off easily and doesn't leave any kind of residue like i know some cleansing balms can, and i usually don't feel like i need to moisturise after i use it.

it takes off my makeup really easily, but i don't use it on my eyes because like other reviewers have said it doesn't seem like a good idea to intentionally blind myself, so i take off my eye makeup first. i don't really use this as a makeup remover, it's more for the facial massage and when i want to give my skin a bit of extra attention. i really love it for that and will buy another one when this runs out.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I was really worried when I first bought this that it would result in disaster. I had previously experiences deep, nasty breakouts from Clinique foundations and didn't want to repeat that fiasco. I had also used a cleansing oil (from Garnier) before and found it had left a weird film on my face even after multiple rinses. However, this has been working famously for me.

It's an enormous, kind of clunky container that probably isn't to travel friendly but that isn't a deal breaker for me. You get a ton of product and considering I don't wear makeup every day of the week and even if I do it's a fairly light layer so I'm sure this stuff will last me forever and at 28.50USD that isn't too bad on the wallet.

The product itself is a hard white balmy product that as you rub it into the skin emulsifies into a very easy to spread product. I start with my face working in gentle circles then, using my weakest fingers, gently massage into my eye area. I then use warm water to rinse away and as it contacts with water this product gets milky and quite lovely. It rinses away clean and I find it leaves no residue, tackiness, or leaving my skin feeling tight or stripped. Usually if I wear makeup and use this I lightly exfoliate afterwards then apply moisturizer and boom!

This definitely takes off everything, down to the tiniest bit of mascara/eyeliner. It'll even take off really long-wear lip products with some extra effort.

The only issue I have with this product is that the oils can, and sometimes do, end up on the surface of my eyes and makes them blurry and weird feeling. However, it does not burn. So not so bad...right? Overall a good product that does not seem to be breaking me out but doing an excellent job and breaking down my makeup at the end of the day. Plan on repurchasing if it continues to work for me.

on 7/11/2015 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Wow, wow, WOW! didn't really know what o expect from this but I knew I had to find something different than the daily wiping I've been doing with makeup removing cloths. I even remove my eye makeup with a cotton ball and eye makeup remover but I have to do it for a while and my eyes are way too delicate to tug like that everyday. I just hit 30! anyway, used this just fifteen minutes ago for the first time and I am in love! it is so easy to apply and a little goes a long way. seriously, eye makeup melts right off! no tugging, repeated wiping which means no itritation! easy to rinse off and it even left my skin soft. what I really love about this is that when I used my regular gel cleanser afterwards, it sudsed up so very easily! usually when you use something oily, your cleansers don't suds up, you have to do it again but not after this remover! no complaints and this is my go to makeup remover from here on. buh bye makeup removing clothes and eye makeup remover!

on 7/5/2015 12:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

it cleansed really well, i really want to like it, but it just irritates my skin so bad. My skin feels burning hot, swelling, red, dry, itchy and it takes time to heal ;(
Not going to recommend it for people with dry and sensitive skin.

on 6/27/2015 3:52:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Really good product from Clinique! The formula is nice and gentle and is emollient enough to glide across the skin without tugging it. It does not feel as greasy as a cleansing oil, which is good because I find them more messy and less pleasant on the skin. It is a balm that melts easily upon contact with your fingers.To me it is completely scent-free.

I also enjoy using this while giving myself a face massage because it does have that nice slip to it without being oily-slippery. I find it to be a good makeup remover and I like to think it removes my sunscreen too. Although keep in mind that I always use another gentle cleanser after to remove any remaining traces and actually cleanse without a layer of makeup. This washes, wipes off and is removed easily without leaving a greasy residue. It leaves your skin feeling very soft and I feel no irritation what so ever.

One thing I don't use it for is removing eye makeup. From the reviews here, it looks like you can but I feel that I tug at my eyes when using this to do so. I feel like for me, it doesn't feel slippery enough to rub it across the eye area and lashes without feeling uncomfortable. That's my only negative but I remove my eye makeup in just a few seconds anyway with a separate cleanser.

What delights me the most about this product is that my pores are actually cleaner now and consequently, give off the impression that they are smaller. I didn't realise my previous makeup remover/cleanser was not performing too well in this regard. So overall my face now looks less dirty? Basically without makeup my skin truly does look better now compared to before. And I am confident it is due to this product because during the first few months of use there were no other changes or additions to my skincare routine.

Also, the tub is very large and I think it is good value for the price.

on 6/19/2015 3:37:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I use this as a makeup remover before my facewash and WOW! I'm so impressed! I bought it after realizing I was avoiding certain difficult-to-remove eyeliners and mascaras in my collection. I was tired of vigorously scrubbing my delicate eye area raw with a makeup remover wipe every night, and so cue this balm thanks to great reviews here on MUA! It takes maybe a dime size amount to cleanse off a full face of makeup. Every part of my eye makeup is gone without a trace! I just massage it all over my face and eye area for about 30 seconds- so much more gentle than a wipe in my opinion.

Yes it's pricy at about $29 but I buy mine off Nordstrom's website where there is free shipping and free samples with your purchase (sometimes some good mascara/perfume samples on there!). But if there's one thing I don't mind splurging on, it's high quality skin care. I've been using this tub several weeks and I've gone through maybe 10% of it. Barely scratched the surface. So while expensive at first, a little goes a long way. It hasn't made me break out either, but I don't use this as my single cleanser (I still wash my face like normal after using it). I would say this is HG status for me! :)

on 6/7/2015 5:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I have combination-oily skin and wear make-up most days. I love balms for make-up removal because it requires one step and absolutely no rubbing cotton pads or tissue over my sensitive lids. I do a second cleanse with a different cleanser.

I find this removes make-up better than any other balm I've tried. It looks like Crisco in the tub but a surprisingly small amount (20 p size) melts down quickly and takes off all my foundation, layers of wp mascara etc with no problems. I use a warm damp wash cloth to remove and found that splashing alone didn't really get the job done. Also, of all the balms I've tried, this leaves behind no oily residue at all. That is particularly welcome as we head into the warmer more humid months. If you wanted to use just this and no second cleanse it would probably be ok, but I always second cleanse.

The packaging is very nice, plastic but substantial and the purple base and silver lid look pretty in my cabinet. I find the packaging manages to hold the product (no greasy lids etc) and holds up well. The price of this product is very reasonable as compared with the rest of the balm market. It is more up front than its DS counterparts but the package contains much more than other tubs and you need less of this than any other balm I've tried. After two months of daily use I've just started to make a noticeable dent.

I really enjoy using the product. It has no scent at all but it feels very soft and not greasy as you work it into the skin. It has enough slip to give myself a good facial massage but rinses clean. It feels very luxurious to use and it works. I enjoy my skin care routine and the product fits in well. I can't recommend this enough. I give this 5 lippies on all counts and I will definitely buy it again.

on 6/5/2015 9:46:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is a nice product. It gets makeup off very easily and is safe for sensitive skin. I like to use it in the shower to make sure that I get all of it off. If I use it outside of the shower I always follow up with a regular cleanser-- which may not be necessary since this product has never given me any irritation. Overall this does hydrate my skin, it neither gives nor prevents breakouts for me. In my experience however it does help to loosen blackheads.

The only complaint for me is that I don't like the slimy feeling (which is inevitable from a cleansing balm) and that I don't like to use it around my eyes. When rubbing it into my eyes it makes my vision cloudy (just until I rinse it off). Most days I just wear mascara and putting a little bit of this around my eyes combined with showering does the trick. However if I have a lot of eye makeup I would rather just use eye makeup remover because I don't like using around my eyes, but that may just be a personal preference.

I do like it, but after I run out I will probably try something new.

on 6/1/2015 11:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I really like this stuff because of how gentle it is and you don't have to scrub to get your makeup off, it just rinses. It also doesn't dry out or irritate my already dry and irritated skin, yeah!

on 6/1/2015 9:54:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

I really like this stuff. It's pricey but you use so little, it will last a long time. It sort of reminds me of coconut oil. I bought some cosmetic spatulas at Sally Beauty Supply to use to get the product out of the jar because I do not like dipping my finger into any jars with product in them. So, I scoop out a pea-size amount and just put a little at a time on my face, covering my whole face. I am extra gentle with distributing it and I don't rub it in. Turn on the warm water and rinse with your hands. That's it!

Now...for more information: I found out after I bought it that I have rosacea. My 2nd dermatologist (1st one was of no help whatsoever; a crime to even be charged in there!) recommended that I cleanse my face with CeraVe and use mineral make-up. Ok. So, I took the plunge and treated myself to both. I noticed that the CeraVe had the same consistency as Cetaphil but the ingredients are different. I thought it was cleaning all of the mineral make-up off because the mirror told me it did. But when I pat dry with my face towel, there was a little make-up on the towel. So, I didn't quite know what to do, as I was trying to be a compliant patient. But I was not big on using a washcloth every time to remove the makeup thoroughly, as I had been doing. Last night, I decided to get out my Cleansing Balm and remove my make-up first. Then, cleaned my face with the CeraVe. I was happy with that. I may not have even needed the CeraVe but I did it anyway.