Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

4.3

Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Caprylic/capric Triglyceride, Sorbeth-30 Tetraoleate, Polyethylene, Peg-5 Glyceryl Triisostearate, Water, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my HG of first round face cleansers. I strayed away from this for a while, but I have come back and I'm never leaving it again.

I use this as my first step of my nightly cleansing routine. While I don't *love* the packaging, as I have to kind of dig into it to get the balm out, I don't know that there is a better option to package this product, so I just go with it.

Anyway, I scoop a bit out and place on my cheeks, forehead and chin areas on DRY skin. Then I just start massaging it into my skin and it feels amazing! I can literally see it melting off the makeup and it takes off the most stubborn waterproof mascara. I wear false lashes everyday and it removes any excess glue bits that may be sitting on my lashline, as well.

I then add a tiny amount of warm water to emulsify it and rinse it off. It rinses off very cleanly and has never left a greasy residue on my face, which blows my mind! My skin always feels hydrated and moisturized after. I follow up with Clean and Clear for Sensitive skin (another HG) and that takes care of my cleansing so that I can move on to skincare.

Absolutely horrendous. I tried this in good faith, since many people seem to rave about this product being HG status and "ok to use on acne prone skin."

How wrong I was to trust this faith; I have mild/moderate acne, usually due to over washing my face/being overzealous in testing new products. My skin does clog easily, however, I figured that since this product did contain comedogenic ingredients, I would simply follow up with a cleanser afterwards to remove any film/residue left behind. Unfortunately, within a few hours I could see closed comodones appearing on my cheek area (where I'm especially prone to clogging).

Even with a follow up, gentle cleanser afterwards, this product still managed to wreak havoc on my face in under 24 hours.

I have to emphasize, tread carefully if you have sensitive skin that is prone to clogging. For me, I can't use any Cerave or Cetaphil products because their ingredients clog my pores like no other. Usually Clinique is okay for my skin, but sadly not with this product. I wanted it to work so badly (considering I paid a whopping 40$ for it...)

Ultimately, I may use this as an eye makeup remover/under eye concealer remover (not prone to breakouts in my eye area) since I doubt Sephora will allow me to return it having dipped my fingers in it already.

Please, if you think you could breakout from this, just avoid it completely. I'd rather have some makeup leftover on my face and cause a few clogs than have it completely removed with this balm, yet my face entirely ruined.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm feeling the love, can you feel the love?? Love is everywhere.

I bought this balm to try and do a facial massage, because I watched a Lisa Eldridge video, yeah, I bought into that, and I'm not regretting it, because I don't even care about the massage right now.

This is the best make-up remover I have ever tried, and to me it's worth every single euro I paid for it. Anyway, you need a small amount, the jar has quite a lot of product and Clinique has regular discounts, so it's not that expensive and it's going to last.

Some people don't like the jar, but I really don't care at all. You can use a spatula, and if you want to travel with it you can transfer some in an old face cream jar you have washed.

I personally really don't care about the packaging, I wouldn't care if it was in a carton. Fine by me.

What is truly important to me is that this balm delivers.

No scent, no eye irritation at all, no break outs, no drying the skin, no greasy residue. I need a third of a teaspoon for my whole face, it's extremely gentle and creamy, and when I massage it into my face I feel so satisfied (tactile person here).

It's effective. I do my first cleansing with it, I just get that third of a teaspoon bit, rub it between my fingers and gently massage it on my face and I feel the make up dissolving under my fingertips. After that I wipe my face with a cotton ball, or even a soft paper towel, or you can use a towel, and finish off with my second cleansing, with a gentle foaming cleanser.

It's the only thing that can get Benefit They're Real mascara off my lashes, it gets it to actually melt, and if you have ever tried that mascara, you know that it does not budge and it's more difficult to get off than even a waterproof formula. I used to do 3-4 cleanses with cleansing oils and micellar water and foaming cleansers, and again with oil, to remove it from my lashes, but now I very gently rub the balm on my lashes and the mascara melts. Amazing.

My skin is combination and I have been using it for 2 months now. I generally like oil cleansing and this, this. I'm never going back.

I don't even know if my review is coherent enough, but I'm sooo excited. I would draw hearts all over the review if I could. This is excellent. I'm going to stock up.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really like to use a cleansing balm/cream to remove makeup before bed; especially compared to cleansing towelettes, it is just as easy to use, and does so much of a better job without being rough on my skin.

That being said, I'm a fan of Banilla Clean It Zero Cleansing Sherbet, but thought I'd give this a try... It's spendy, at first blush (sorry, couldn't resist), but the thing is, the consistency is almost a solid, so this tub is going to last a really, really long time. Another bonus about the semi-solid texture is the cleanser perfect for travel; no mess. And there is no particular scent I've noticed.

If price is your main concern (since a tub of Noxema or other cold cream is super-cheap, in comparison), consider purchasing Clinique's cleanser from a reputable retailer that accepts returns of used cosmetics (such as Sephora or any good department store). I think you'll be swayed to keep it, after one or two uses :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My holy grail makeup remover. I've been using this for years without any issues and I really love it. I have super sensitive skin and use Japanese sun screen, so I need a legit makeup remover that doesn't strip or irritate my skin. I've tried a bunch of oil-based removers, including DHC, Fancl, and Boscia but each one either gave me clogs or irritated my skin.

Clinique's TTDOB just does its job. It's nice and creamy and really gets all my sunscreen and face makeup off. Before applying, I use and oil-based eye makeup remover for my eye makeup and then apply the TTDOB onto my dry skin, rubbing it in for a while. Then I add some warm water to sort of emulsify the product, massage my skin for a little longer, and then rinse it all off. I follow up with Sage Regular Cleanser. Works brilliantly!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a good product but I'm afraid it's a bit too expensive for what it is, at least where I live. It retails for about 37 dollars here full price, although you can find it on sale about 25-30% off fairly often.
So as others have said before me, this goes from almost-solid to oil on the skin to milk when it comes in contact with water. It does take everything off, but personally I have to do a good amount of rubbing especially on the eye area, or I will be left with mascara traces. And rubbing and tugging my undereye like that is not something I want to be doing frankly. Bottom line is, while it does work, with mascara specifically for me it's not effortless unfortunately, and note that I never use waterproof.
I've also used this as a facial massage oil after I watched the Lisa Eldridge video on face massaging, and it was really great for that. I do like this product and I would probably go for it again if it was cheaper, but given the above I cannot justify such a steep price.

Holy grail, love this stuff. I used to use baby oil, but I found it was getting in my eyes a lot and was too messy to work with. My friend is a makeup artist, and swears by this stuff, so he gave me a tub. I'm never going back to baby oil, or anything else ever again. It's mawkish, it literally dissolves your makeup the second you put it on, and you don't have to go at it a couple times like you do with wipes or other removers. 100% will keep buying until they discontinue it.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Holy grail makeup remover. Would never, ever use anything else. Gets absolutely everything off in one swipe.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This balm is great. It removes absolutely all the make up and leaves nothing. It's not drying and leaves the skin smooth.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This. is the best thing. I have bought myself. Period. I picked this up during Sephora's VIB $20 off $50+ purchase and it retails for $29.50. That sounds like a lot to shell out for an oil cleanser, but I don't use it for my entire face. I end up washing my face after removing my makeup anyway so it'd just be a waste. I don't wear too much foundation/concealer/no contour so my heaviest makeup is on my eyes- primer, shadow, pencil liner, liquid liner, mascara. I use literally a baby's pinky nail size amount for both eyes each night. It sounds like it'd be hard to spread, right? But a drop of water turns this balm into a milky texture, and the product is much more slippery. It easily removes my makeup and wipes clean with a wet baby washcloth. Not greasy like coconut oil, and I can see this lasting me for more than a year. So this is a pretty cheap product for how much I can get out of it! It's so fun to watch all my eye makeup melt off that it's become my favorite part of my face washing routine! Only complaint is the giant jar isn't portable, I'd have to transfer some to a container if I want to bring it anywhere, and the jar size isn't ideal for sanitary reasons too. But the product itself? Perfect.
p.s. I chose this over the Lancome Bi-Facil because in the long run, if used as just eye makeup remover, it will last much longer than a liquid remover. So...trust me, it took me a long time to make the switch, haha