April 16, 2014 | 1958 users online

Treatments - La Roche Posay - Effaclar K

rated 3 of 5 on 11/16/2013 3:25:00 PM More reviews by stlawrenceriver

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My usual product for skin rejuvenation and acne battling is the Ciciabo cream from Bioderma, which had worked well so far.
I decided to venture out and try this one since it was on sale, and is a similar price to Bioderma products.
I have now been using Effeclar K for about a month, and am confident enough to say that I like it. There is never a secret formula or magic trick for making skin look airbrushed, but this product helps me with the little things, which in turn make the overall picture nicer.
It has reduced my blackheads, particularly around my nose, it obliterates white heads, and it evens tone by lifting previous acne scars. It DOES NOT work miracles on full blown zits. It does help reduce them, but not overnight, and I had not purchased the product expecting it would help in this area.

It does not smell like anything strong to me, just a light medicinal scent. The texture is milky and sticky. Not moisturizing enough for any skin. Even oily skinned individuals will want to overlay a light moisturizer after using this. The packaging is fine. I store it upside down, since the pressure tends to leak product out of the nozzle after use.

Overall, it is a nice product which I will repurchase. I will not completely trade out my Bioderma for this, but will likely only use Effaclar when needed, as the acid can be strong for my delicate skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/19/2013 9:20:00 AM More reviews by calooza

I was finishing a tube of the effaclar duo, with really good results, and i decided to try effaclar k. This one seems more suitable for my skin problems, as my acne is mostly comedonal, and when i have inflammatory acne, it's because of the comedones that get inflamed.

My problem areas are my chin, jaw line and lower cheeks. Effaclar Duo really helped with my blackheads, my pores, and it evened out my skintone very well. Also, it treated my comedones and inflamed pimples for the most part. I experience a lot less breakouts, and my oily skin is more balanced.

Effaclar K is targeted for congested oily skin, with comedonal acne. It has 1.5% of salycilic acid (effaclar duo has 0.5%). Although it's suppose to prevent acne, rather that treat it, i find it very effective at getting rid of pimples.

I started to use it when i was experiencing a few breakouts and whiteheads on my jaw line, and it was visibly more effective at treating inflammatory acne and closed comedones than effaclar duo, and the results were faster... It really works well with my skin, i also notice my hyperpigmentation less visible. I'm impressed. I didn't got this results with effaclar duo, although it worked well to me.

I use it all over my face at night (before moisturizer), and just on my problem areas in the morning. So far so good.

I didn't experience any breakouts from this, or any irritation whatsoever (so far). I like the packaging. It's a metallic tube with a tiny pointed opening, which allows to use the right amount of product. The smell is weird (effaclar duo has a pleasant smell), like chemical smell, but once applied it's gone. I paid less than 15 euros for a 30ml tube, it's not cheap, but it's worth the money.

UPDATE (1) Oct2013: Oh-oh... I started to noticing an increase of clogged pores on my left cheek. Normally it doesn't spread all around it, just on my jaw line, and my jaw line is clean at this point, which makes me believe that the way i'm applying Effaclar K has something to do with this.
I started to applying a bigger amount of product on my left cheek, because i had active acne there, and i thought this way it would cure it faster. Before, i was only using a small amount, and the results were good. I'm now experimenting using just again a small amount and spread it all over my face like a moisturizer. I'll be updating if i notice any difference.

Also, i notice that when i wet my face in the morning, it seems like i have some kind of residue on my skin, which doesn't dissolve with the water. Maybe it has also something to do with my clogged pores :-/

UPDATE (2): Using just a little bit of product and spread it all over my face actually got my clogged pores a lot better, and i'm only doing it for a couple of days. Also, i apply my clinique moisturiser right after (sometimes i mix the two), which made that wierd feeling in the morning to go away. I'm ok with this product again, but when i finish it, i'm not going to buy it again because of it's texture (it's a little thick, and leaves skin residue if i let it sink in before moisturizer - probably due to the CETYL ALCOHOL - Triacneal also has it, and it breaks me out) and it can contribute easily for increasing my clogged pores. :/ My next try will be Ducray Keracnyl Creme Regulatrice.

UPDATE (3): After a couple of weeks with breakouts all over my left cheek, i decided to take a break from effaclar k, and my breakouts are a lot better. Oh well, another fail! I'm going to try Bioderma, since it doesn't have alcohol on their products, and ingredients like Cetyl Alcohol and CETEARYL ALCOHOL, like Avene, LA Roche Posay and Ducray have, and it's what i believe it's breaking me out!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2013 10:42:00 AM More reviews by NoWonder

I have combunation skin with the most problematic area on T zone. This cream helps me to support it in good condition and prevents new break outs and blocked pores. Though, it tends to be aggressive if you use it on a daily basis. I use it only as my night care for T zone (for the rest I use a different moisturizer) several times a week.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2013 8:56:00 AM More reviews by ipecik

This product gave me a horrible red mustache (because I have put it on my upper lip area) though no allergic reactions on the forehead. Though recovered a few hours later I will never use it again.

Helps with large pores on the nose though

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2013 1:47:00 AM More reviews by jlin0913

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This tube Actually lasted quite a while. As much as i wanted this cream to work, i dont think it did anything for my skin. I bought this for $20 cdn but i think it costs way more in stores. Will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/25/2013 2:40:00 AM More reviews by LiliRoseVoice

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product works. It's definitely my holy grail acne/renewal night cream! I have very oily, acne prone skin, which is also pale and delicate: which means every acne mark and scar lasts forever, every pimple gets infected at the speed of light and generally my skin is super picky. I tried this out and found that already after a week the red marks had faded, my skin looked clearer and the texture was improved. It doesn't sting, I only need a small amount, so the product lasts around six months for me. I don't think this would be enough for serious cystic acne, but for cloggish and oily skin this is perfect.The packaging could be better, as it is a squeezy alluminium tube with needs to be handled with care, but overall this product is absolutely worth the 16 euros I pay here in Italy As always, YMMV, but if you have oily and problematic skin give it a try.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2013 11:40:00 PM More reviews by qdo2599

I love this product more than the Effaclar DUO. I am particularly sensitive to benzoyl peroxide therefore I prefer to use this on a daily basis.
I find that using this everyday will typically prevent any breakouts, make my pores smaller, and make my skin smoother looking. I might note that my skin isn't very problematic to begin with.
This product however is not strong enough to combat an active breakout. For an active breakout I reach for the Effaclar DUO and usually use that 1-2 nights only before switching back to the Effaclar K.
The reason I'm giving this 4 stars only is because of the chemical smell it has. It's quite strong and doesn't dissipate as quickly as I would like. I've used it for quite some time and I still have to breath through my mouth when applying this.
I have the US/UK formula btw, I think the version sold in Asian has different ingredients.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2013 11:21:00 AM More reviews by emathy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Costly (though a little goes a long way so you can certainly make one tube last for a while), and the packaging leaves something to be desired (can't squeeze all out; tube can crack at corners where squeezed thin-- though this can be useful to get some of the remaining lotion out like a tube of really expensive toothpaste, lol), but it's effective as it promises as long as you're not interpreting those promises to result in a miraculous change to your appearance.

I find it *does* reduce grease and the appearance of blemishes (both existing and developing ones), and I was surprised by the noticeable difference at first, but Effaclar K has definitely got its limits!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2013 12:33:00 PM More reviews by katehiga

I have a few weeks using Effaclar K and Effaclar Duo in the morning and night, because I have an acne prone skin caused, partly for my combination skin. And I have to say that it really works for me. My skin feels more purified and even. I am glad with the results.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2013 5:30:00 PM More reviews by mariasara

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a very good product for my cystic-acne-prone skin. I usually have side effects with strong acne treatments, so I decided to buy this product (instead of effaclar-duo that has BP). Being a mild product, results may be slow, but effective. Eversince I started this, I had no more breakouts, so I will keep on using it. It´sa great product for hot weather, when skin becomes more oily.