August 30, 2014 | 1718 users online

Lip Treatments - La Mer - Lip Balm

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2014 2:29:00 AM More reviews by Staaarlit

Whoo! This lip balm is off the charts expensive! I bought it about 1.5 years ago; I think it was $50 then. It currently costs $55. Never in my life did I think I was going to buy a lip balm this expensive, but the reason why I took the dive was because my lips were just going crazy during that time. Here's a quick summary on my lips: super sensitive and prone to dryness, peeling, chapping, AND on top of all that madness, I have a serious and awful habit of picking at them.

I'd like to say it was because I was truly desperate for a potent lip balm to ease my raging lips during that time, but heh, I must confess...I was just going through a La Mer obsession during the time, and $50 was about as much as I was willing to spend, and since I was in dire need of a lip balm, I figured, "Ah what the heck. Why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone." After reading so many positive reviews about it, I took the dive. & I'm not guilty at all that I did!

First of all, I dislike that it's in a tub because it's unhygienic (duh). I also only use it after my hands are washed, which means the most convenient thing to do is to use this at home. Not so convenient if you want to use this when you're out and about. I've made my peace with this issue. I use it at night before bed. Aside from this, I love the look of the entire packaging, from the lid to the tub itself. Super adorable and super sleek.

Second, I love the smell and the minty scent once it's on my lips.

Third, it is not sticky or greasy at all. This is the only, only, and I repeat, ONLY lip balm that I would be able to have on my lips and have it be undetectable when I kiss my bf. Aside from this lip balm, no other lip balm could have me kiss him without him complaining or noticing that a lip product has uncomfortably transferred from my lips to his.

Fourth, this balm definitely delivers as promised. Here is La Mer's claim about the product: "The Lip Balm is a luxurious and intensely reparative formula that works on contact to soften roughness, relieve discomfort and help rejuvenate seriously dry lips." It is very luxurious to the touch, and the application feel so darn good as it melts into my lips. It is very, very intensive and reparative. That's what I love most about this balm. I usually only reach for it at night and/or after my lips have ripped open and bled from being picked off by my pesky fingers (not an exaggeration). I pile it on after a picking session and some more before I head to bed, and every time, I wake up to see that the cracks and tears that were bleeding have healed. This balm is seriously nothing short of a miracle worker. You could say that the body heals itself during sleep, sure, but trust me, before I had this beauty product, my lips took several days to heal. Now, overnight and maybe a couple hours later and voila, amazing, healthy, pink lips again. This brings me to my next point.

Fifth, with consistent use of this product, my lips become pinker, healthier, and more beautiful altogether. I'm still young, but I have a lot of fine lines on my lips (probably from the chronic picking). This product definitely helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines.

So you see, it's not just a simple moisturizing lip balm that simply provides and locks in moisture. It's more than that. It's like using the Estee Lauder ANR and then comparing it to...oh, I don't know, the L'oreal Youth Code serum.

Oh, I read somewhere that it works best when warmed up between your fingers and then patted/pressed gently, but firmly against your lips. The heat is supposed to kickstart the properties and that, in turn, helps the product work better. I had my doubts at first, but with some experimenting, I have found it to work best this way! But it makes sense (just like you would with your face serums and creams so that your products could absorb better).

Overall: I think I would buy this again. I'm half way through with the tub. It has lasted incredibly long, I know, and you might think that the benefits have subsided or died from being exposed to air or whatever, but nope, it still works mighty well. & Yes, I use it quite sparingly...only as a last resort, my friend. If I were to use it as often as I would a regular lip balm, my god, it would have ran out after a month.

I abhooooooor the price tag (T.T). But it works so miraculously well. This is like...the anti-aging product for my lips. Perfect in every way, exept the price tag. Yet somehow I find it worth the purchase. Anyways, when I do finish it, I think I would repurchase...unless I find something better (or just as fab) and less expensive.

If you have the money and need an awesome lip balm, get this. It's worth having in your beauty arsenal.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2014 9:46:00 PM More reviews by april1976

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

It's really a decent balm, but my issue is that it's totally not worth the $40+ pricetag. Smells minty and nice, the packaging is crisp and nice-looking and it does indeed provide my lips with a bit of moisture and protection...but so do other more higher-end balms that are half the price.

For $20, go to a Perricone shop and buy their Super Lush Lips balm. It's awesome and smells like sweet coconutty goodness. Great little glass container that's durable and not really difficult to cart around. No petroleum.

For $7, go to Sephora and grab some Jack Black lip balm. Great flavors/smells, matte but not drying at all, comes in an easy squeeze tube. No petroleum.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/18/2014 11:59:00 AM More reviews by krisaya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is just ok. It has a sweet taste and a minty scent to it. The pot will last you a LONG time. I put it on before bedtime and when I get ready in the morning. I find that my lips don't really feel that amazing when I wake up. I guess was expecting more from this product. I love lip balm and am willing to pay money for quality ones. My all time favorite is Terry balm rose.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2014 6:08:00 AM More reviews by JEASB

Best lip balm I've ever used. I was a huuuuge skeptic of paying so much but I went to blue mercury and the manager said its the only thing she honestly trusted on her skin and so I got it and loved it so much I ended up going on the La Mer website and ordering replenishments. So worth it. If you're as big of a skeptic as me, do it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2014 7:39:00 PM More reviews by beautyjunkie2012

I was blessed to receive two of these (full-size) for free and while they worked just as well as my beloved Nivea lip butter there is no way that I would buy this with my own money. $50 bucks is a chunk of change for a lip balm. The texture feels great without little slip or overly glossy. So its nice to use under matte lipsticks. The flavor/taste is yummy. Think of a Junior Mint...the candy. Overall longevity...I can get 4-5 hours in before I have to reapply. Overnight...my lips are itching for more in the AM. I love luxury cosmetics/skincare but there are two things that my wallet will not open for when it comes to high-end...mascara and lip balm.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2014 11:05:00 AM More reviews by lagolden

It's expensive- no doubt about it!- but TOTALLY WORTH IT. I love everything about this lip balm except the price. I like the (pretty!) pot because I can always see how much is left, how quickly I'm going through it, etc. The balm is super moisturizing- instantly relieves my dry winter lips- with a very pleasant taste that is not so overwhelming that you want to lick your lips constantly. I use this a few times a day- a little bit goes a long, long way- and am so happy with the results. One pot has lasted me close to 3 months and there's enough left for another 3 or 4 weeks.

I'd rather spend $50 on one product that does it all- and makes me so happy to use it- than $30 on multiple products that don't quite cut it. This is one purchase that I definitely don't regret.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2014 5:14:00 AM More reviews by fechenwiesen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I caved and got this because I had a 50% off one item coupon and a make up artist has used it on me during a make over because my lips were so dry. I have cronically dry lips and find that most lip balms just make it worse. I hate to say that I love this product, It stops the cracking and flaking and doesn´t sting or make it worse. I do hate the crazy price.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/2/2014 2:25:00 AM More reviews by JaydenReece

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Meh this stuff is ok.. Does the job but so do many other cheaper lip balms do what this does.. It is good and i will use it up but i wont repurchase as for cheaper i can get burts bees which is very similar

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2014 1:50:00 PM More reviews by hollyannie2001

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Completely in agreement with the review by MUAer Sophisticate below.

Anyone who would pay $50 for a pot of lip balm is clearly not thinking straight and unfortunately I count myself in that number. I threw this into my Nordie's cart while doing some holiday shopping, figuring I would treat myself to a little gift. There is NO REASON to purchase this lip balm for the outrageous cost of $50. Here is my assessment:

1) The product is NOT one of those products that will last incredibly long. I've owned it about three weeks and am NOT using it as my primary lip treatment (just using it once or twice a day) and it is already ~1/3 gone.

2) It is NOT a miraculously effective product. It is adequate. It is NO better than any of the reasonably priced lip balms in my collection.

3) A pot of Kiehl's Lip Balm #1 lasts me over a year and costs $7.50. The La Mer lip balm is different, but NOT more effective, than the Kiehl's. The difference between the two is the texture. The Kiehl's looks like Vaseline in the pot (though more effective in my experience than Vaseline) and leaves lips shiny. The La Mer is thick, white and matte in the pot and matte on the lips.

Overall -- this product is good for one thing: conspicuous consumption. I learned my lesson. This was a poor use of $50. If you are in the one percent of Americans earning millions a year, then sure, buy and enjoy this product as your everyday chapstick. For everyone else, stick with Kiehl's or Rosebud Salve for a fraction of the cost and excellent performance.

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2014 4:46:00 PM More reviews by Sophisticate

Meh. Nothing special about this lip balm to justify the cost. After reading all the rave reviews here and also after Lisa Eldridge recommended in one of her make-up "films" I had to try it. ABSOLUTELY NOT WORTH IT! Cheap mint candy taste, doesn't last... It's not a treatment... I strongly dislike the packaging because I do not like dipping my fingers into lip balms.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No