Philosophy When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

3.5

water (aqua), glyceryl polymethacrylate, pentylene glycol, propylene glycol, glycerin, butylene glycol, hydrolyzed soy protein, peg-7 glyceryl cocoate, palmitoyl pentapeptide-3, glutathione, potassium ascorbyl tocopheryl phosphate, larrea divaricata (chaparral) extract, sodium hyaluronate, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, allantoin, carbomer, lecithin, polysorbate 20, sodium hydroxide, phenoxyethanol, methylbromo glutaronitrile, fragrance, tetrasodium edta.

on 4/10/2015 3:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Ladies if you put this on under your makup first than put primer than this it will ball up like a mother on you I had to rewash my face to get it off......I will use up the bottle, but not buy any more, I need something that wont ball up under makeup, also I think this brand is more about hype and the whole cute packaging anyway, even the lady at ulta said that, I have tried a couple of other things that I took back, for some reason anything from this line gives me white bumps on my cheeks,

I will never buy this again, I sticking with y HG Peter Thomas Roth...

on 3/30/2015 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

it doesn't seem to do much. it's not particularly moisturizing and it's extremely sticky.

on 11/8/2014 9:42:00 PM

I have been using the philosophy vit C powder for a while and I've been itching to try some of their other products as well. After a facial gone wrong, I was desperate for anything to fix the army of zits that had popped up on my face and wandered into Ulta looking for the answer. Lo-and-behold, they had a little skincare kit on sale with the face wash, this serum, and the hope in a jar lotion for a pretty good bargain.

This serum is definitely the star of the show. It comes out of the little dropper like a gel, but gets pretty liquidy when applied to the face and sinks in instantly. I mix my vitamin c powder with this twice a day and my skin has transformed over the last week. All my crazy breakouts have turned into little flat marks that are fading, my skintone has evened, and my complexion just looks better in general.

However, the price tag is a bit steep and it smells like bottled raccoon piss... Given, I'm not a raccoon urine specialist and I've never actually smelled it, but there is some sort of funky pee smell going on. It seems to dissipate on the skin when applied, but still.

on 10/17/2014 7:48:00 AM

This serum is not a miracle as the previous reviewer wrote ( which registered yesterday and today wrote a review!).
I tried this serum for few weeks, it was a present from someone.
It made my skin flake, gave me under the skin cysts and I didn't see any firming or wrinkle smoothing or whatever they promise.
If it would really do something, I would pay the price but otherwise, I don't bother. I used it on my neck and chest and it gave me cysts on my neck also so I just threw it in the bin.

on 10/17/2014 6:58:00 AM

This serum is a miracle. I suffer dry sensitive skin and have the burden of developing eczema on my face from particular products in an instant. I finally found this serum and it has changed my skin completely. Still a bit of redness but this serum instantly hydrated my skin over night. I cannot speak highly enough of this serum. Moisturizing just before you add the serum gives it a little extra boost too!

on 4/3/2014 10:28:00 AM

I bought this 1 oz version then understood quickly why people give it such praise! I then purchased the 4oz bottle to have and will most likely always keep it apart of my beauty regimen for as long as I see fit.

I recently became a big philosophy beauty product fan! Hope in a jar original, hope in a jar oil-free, the micro peel, WOW, I really have yet to be disappointed with Philosophy products.

This serum smells like some sort of urine ( to put it nicely) which don't worry, once you apply it you cannot smell it anymore. I usually put 2-3 drops put it all over my face and neck. Wait 2 minutes and then put my moisturizer....

The lack of smell is what I really like about this company (making it natural and better for the skin). My skin has a very hard time with fragrance! The smells with philosophy aren't very pleasing to say the least but if they are excellent and beneficial, I could care less if it smells like horse shit!

Great product, absorbs VERY quickly.... can be pricey but if you go on ebay you can find a 4oz bottle for 74-99$ which is financially more worth it than the 1 oz

on 12/8/2013 5:19:00 PM

Works great for me! I only use it at night and then only 1 or 2 times per week, but it just makes my skin so soft and soothes redness I have on my cheeks. I use an Algenist eye serum to fight wrinkles in my eye area, and at least at this point in time for me, this serum is enough to keep the rest of my face smooth and fresh looking. I wonder if people who are experiencing stinging are using harsh cleansers or exfoliaters before applying? Any serum will sting when there are tiny little cuts in the skin.

on 11/23/2013 1:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Has a temporary effect of firming skin but had no lasting effect and made my skin sting. Waste of money considering how expensive it was

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Firms and tightens your skin like a mother fucker. Love this.
Also, it's GREAT if you add it to a moisture mask just before you go out somewhere. Mix it with the mask, slap it on, wait 20 mins, then wham-o! Your pretty little face looks better than it did 20 mins ago. Doing this I find help your makeup application look all the more perf. Fresh, pretty, awake, tight, and ready for action. LOL

I don't use it routinely so I don't know how it fairs over a long period of time in terms of diminishing skin problems that are already there, but it's a great anti-oxidant cocktail for your face that you can both see and feel take effect almost immediately. So to have it work over a long period of time you just have to....keep using it. :-| Fairly cut and dry.

I have it on above my brows right now, I imagine this is how botox feels? Mmm, firm.

It's a lightweight, non-sticky, non pore clogging serum that you can even (or especially) use on the under eye area.

Give it a try. Buy it at Sephora and if it's really truly a dud for you, just return the silly thing. What's the worse it could do except not impress you?

on 5/1/2013 5:43:00 PM

This serum didn't do anything for me and I'm only writing this review after finishing a whole bottle of it. I didnt see any benefits it claims to offer. When hope is not enough, Philosophy cannot deliver either.

Popular Face Skincare Products