October 22, 2014 | 1854 users online

Skincare - Face - Philosophy - When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2014 7:48:00 AM More reviews by cherryme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This serum is not a miracle as the previous reviewer wrote ( which registered yesterday and today wrote a review!).
I tried this serum for few weeks, it was a present from someone.
It made my skin flake, gave me under the skin cysts and I dind't see any firming or wrinkles smoothing or whatever they promise.
If it would really do something, I would pay the price but otherwise, I don't bother. I used it on my neck and chest and it gave me cysts on my neck also so I just threw it in the bin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2014 6:58:00 AM More reviews by Meganfoley

This serum is a miracle. I suffer dry sensitive skin and have the burden of developing eczema on my face from particular products in an instant. I finally found this serum and it has changed my skin completely. Still a bit of redness but this serum instantly hydrated my skin over night. I cannot speak highly enough of this serum. Moisturizing just before you add the serum gives it a little extra boost too!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2014 10:28:00 AM More reviews by surfcowboy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this 1 oz version then understood quickly why people give it such praise! I then purchased the 4oz bottle to have and will most likely always keep it apart of my beauty regimen for as long as I see fit.

I recently became a big philosophy beauty product fan! Hope in a jar original, hope in a jar oil-free, the micro peel, WOW, I really have yet to be disappointed with Philosophy products.

This serum smells like some sort of urine ( to put it nicely) which don't worry, once you apply it you cannot smell it anymore. I usually put 2-3 drops put it all over my face and neck. Wait 2 minutes and then put my moisturizer....

The lack of smell is what I really like about this company (making it natural and better for the skin). My skin has a very hard time with fragrance! The smells with philosophy aren't very pleasing to say the least but if they are excellent and beneficial, I could care less if it smells like horse shit!

Great product, absorbs VERY quickly.... can be pricey but if you go on ebay you can find a 4oz bottle for 74-99$ which is financially more worth it than the 1 oz

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2013 5:19:00 PM More reviews by DaniellePaul

Works great for me! I only use it at night and then only 1 or 2 times per week, but it just makes my skin so soft and soothes redness I have on my cheeks. I use an Algenist eye serum to fight wrinkles in my eye area, and at least at this point in time for me, this serum is enough to keep the rest of my face smooth and fresh looking. I wonder if people who are experiencing stinging are using harsh cleansers or exfoliaters before applying? Any serum will sting when there are tiny little cuts in the skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2013 1:29:00 AM More reviews by Cactus_Pear

Has a temporary effect of firming skin but had no lasting effect and made my skin sting. Waste of money considering how expensive it was

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2013 5:35:00 PM More reviews by sabrinabruning

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Firms and tightens your skin like a mother fucker. Love this.
Also, it's GREAT if you add it to a moisture mask just before you go out somewhere. Mix it with the mask, slap it on, wait 20 mins, then wham-o! Your pretty little face looks better than it did 20 mins ago. Doing this I find help your makeup application look all the more perf. Fresh, pretty, awake, tight, and ready for action. LOL

I don't use it routinely so I don't know how it fairs over a long period of time in terms of diminishing skin problems that are already there, but it's a great anti-oxidant cocktail for your face that you can both see and feel take effect almost immediately. So to have it work over a long period of time you just have to....keep using it. :-| Fairly cut and dry.

I have it on above my brows right now, I imagine this is how botox feels? Mmm, firm.

It's a lightweight, non-sticky, non pore clogging serum that you can even (or especially) use on the under eye area.

Give it a try. Buy it at Sephora and if it's really truly a dud for you, just return the silly thing. What's the worse it could do except not impress you?

rated 2 of 5 on 5/1/2013 5:43:00 PM More reviews by XuLin1985

This serum didn't do anything for me and I'm only writing this review after finishing a whole bottle of it. I didnt see any benefits it claims to offer. When hope is not enough, Philosophy cannot deliver either.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/21/2013 7:51:00 PM More reviews by lanihime

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I tried this serum as I ran out of my usual serum and it was on sale. Overall I am a bit underwhelmed. It has a very medicine-like smell that I didn't like, but the texture is smooth and it applies very easily. It is also very easy to over-apply as it absorbs quickly. There is a slight tacky feel when you're done applying but it disappears very quickly. I like the dropper in a dark bottle packaging idea, but if you don't close it properly it is prone to spillage.

My skin quality actually seems somewhat duller since using but this may be in part due to the lack of exfoliating ingredients in this. I have switched between Amore Pacific Rejuvenating/Lancome Genefique as they are my favorites, but I am on the prowl for something cheaper. I would say that it has not made my skin look brighter or feel firmer/smoother like the others did. Having it with or without my moisturizer (Korres yogurt) made no discernible difference. I have some lines on my neck and forehead that came back over the month of use (I guess the effects from my last serum are slowly wearing off...)

It was the only switch to my normal routine so it will definitely not be a repurchase.

I think it may have some benefits, but I just weren't seeing any in my 2 month period of use.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2012 11:56:00 AM More reviews by Miltonh81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

No matter what i change with the rest of my skincare routine, I have never had to change serums. I have oily sensitive sometimes blemished skin that did have very enlarged pores. The serum sorted my pores out ages ago. I use this just at night using 5 drops is plenty enough for face and neck, it sinks in immediately and leaves no stickiness which I have had. My skin is still quite oily but the fact that my unsightly pores have been sorted makes this worth every penny as nothing else has given me these results.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/21/2012 4:21:00 PM More reviews by KathleenM415

Philosophy's When Hope is Not Enough Serum is a good multi-purpose serum for the face and body. It absorbs fairly well into my skin and keeps my skin adequately moisturized throughout the day. While I enjoy using this product, I wish it was more natural - it contains synthetic fragrance and preservatives. I prefer using pure argan oil (either by Josie Maran or Beta Naturals) for my all-around beauty needs - it's less expensive, all-natural, absorbs quickly, and works very well at moisturizing my skin.