October 1, 2014 | 1876 users online

Hair Color - Wella - Color Charm Conditioning Permanent Gel Haircolor

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2014 1:09:00 AM More reviews by allymack

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

After months of at-home experimentation with different blonde dyes to get my medium/light brown hair to a light ash blonde, I have found my HG. I was trying to gradually lighten by re-dying my whole head every 6-8 weeks with 30 vol. developer and various Ion and Wella dyes, and a drugstore box dye on one occasion (pointless).
The last time I dyed my hair, I used Wella Color Charm 8A (the liquid one), but it ended up darkening my hair rather than lightening it, and the resulting color was not at all like the swatch. However, I was impressed by how much it reduced the ginger tones my hair loves to pull, so I wanted to try a lighter shade of Wella Color Charm.
So last night I gave the 9A Color Charm gel a shot on my strawberry dark blonde hair. I mixed it 2:1 with Ion 30 vol. developer, and left in on for 40 minutes. I am now a convincing, natural-looking medium blonde, and best of all, there is no brass at all! This is the most flattering blonde color I've ever pulled off at home, and the first time I've actually been pleased with the tone. It is not quite the level of ash I'm going for - I want almost grey-ish blonde hair - but I'm thinking with a toner or another dye, I should be close enough.
Other thoughts: the gel is less drying than the liquid Color Charm, which was noticeably more damaging than the Ion Color Brilliance gel dyes I'd tried previously. The smell of the gel is also less noxious than the liquid Color Charm. And I love that because of Wella's 2:1 developer:dye ratio, you end up with quite a bit more dye than with dyes that require 1:1 ratios. When I was using Ion Color Brilliance, the 1:1 ratio mixture was not enough to cover my long hair. This time I actually had dye leftover.
I was about to give up getting the ash blonde hair of my dreams due to my limited success, but thanks to this product, it actually seems achievable. Wella is much better at ridding brass than Ion Color Brilliance, so if battling the ginge is an issue for you, give it a shot!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2013 1:08:00 PM More reviews by catmj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

So my hair is naturally a medium ash blonde, but in the summer I lighten up substantially to bright barbie blonde thanks to the sun. However, in the winter, it goes back to the medium ash color. To even out the color, and correct brassy tones from chlorine, I use 8A medium ash blonde (blue based) with a level 10 developer, mix, apply, and let it sit for 45 minutes. It rinses out well, and is a pretty, neutral ashy blonde, very natural, but not too dark.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2013 7:43:00 PM More reviews by violetbaudelaire27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My hair was a warm, golden tone with a few brassy and red tones left over from a previous dye. I wanted rid of all the red tones, which were very almost gone - so I bought this in shade #740 Light Ash Blonde and to accompany it I bought the T28 Natural Blonde toner and Cooling Violet additive just in case. I used all of these with the Wella 20 vol Creme Developer.

In retrospect, I should have maybe tried the toner first and see what that did to my hair because the shade I've ended up with is a nice ashy blonde or "bronde" colour, (think Taylor Swift right now) so no real complaint here - but it's darker than I had intended. However, I will never ever go back to box dyes - the vast selection, pricing, packaging, value for money is all there with Wella Color Charm collection. Would definitely buy again.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/15/2013 11:18:00 PM More reviews by caitx03

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this is lightest golden blonde because it looked the most similar to a honey blonde (think Jen Anniston) anyways it turned my roots orange. I used the 20 developer because I didn't want to do a ton of damage and my hair is a light brown to dark blonde color normally. But still my roots are orange but the rest of my hair is slightly tinted the color I wanted just not as light. I went over it twice today and still no luck. :( now I have to walk around with orange hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2013 7:16:00 PM More reviews by tash820

Awesome product. Been dying my hair for years with boxed colors from the drugstore. Finally tried wella after reading many reviews and am very happy. I've usually dyed blonde (naturally a dark blonde and dyed to a medium/light golden blonde) but dyed black last year for a change. This year I was sick of black and missed my blonde and wanted to go back. I bought a box of bleach from the drugstore and ended up looking like carrot top!! Not cool. Tried a brass banisher, and another box of bleach but my hair was still pretty orange. So I did some research and bought a packet of wella's lightening powder and mixed it with a 20 volume bleach and left it on about 30 minutes. That got me almost to the banana yellow stage, with my natural dark blonde roots. Then I deep conditioned and dried my hair and put on 9A, palest ash blonde for about 15 minutes all over my head. It looked a bit dark when I had it in my hair but it rinsed out and dried and I couldn't be happier! I deep conditioned again and left a leave-in conditioner with olive oil in and my hair is so soft and definitely not damaged looking. The smell was a bit strong, but no other complaints. Highly recommended :)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2013 7:21:00 PM More reviews by SupaMaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

Yesterday I had used a garnier nutrisse white chocolate, which is quite the beautiful colour, but just not for me it washed me out so much! So I settled on going to sallys and getting a shade that wasn't ashy anymore as I figured i'd end up with white hair so I decided that a honey blonde it was! I picked up the shade 1036and put it on my hair for around 15 minutes and problem solved! Beautiful summer blonde hair and no brasiness to my surprise, as I still had some red undertones from a previous dye. My only complain is the smell its horribly overwelming!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2012 9:49:00 PM More reviews by Akra

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love this. I use the Frosty Ash to get my hair white/silver. Only thing bad about this is that it does have some gray undertones but if I wash my hair with blue/purple shampoo after using it my hair turns back to white. The price on this is great. Cheap. Been using it for about a year now. I put it over bleached hair. I use it about every three to six months for some touch up on my hair that has some yellow tones. It also works good for getting blue and purples out of your hair. Doesn't work well on getting your hair from red to blonde. I would recommend this for people who want white or silver hair. But you must use bleach first.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/22/2012 3:14:00 PM More reviews by HeyoNao

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was going from dyed black hair to white. Quite a task. It took me three different bleaching sessions to make my hair light enough to use a toner and have it be effective. I chose to use the Wella FROSTY ASH. Even though it DID take a TON of the yellow out of my hair like I wanted it to-it was HARSH on my hair. I felt like my hair was still in somewhat salvageable condition after my three bleaches (honestly), but after this Wella stuff, man oh man. I've got even more work to do to get my hair feeling healthy again. So yes, this product got me to the color I wanted, but at a large sacrifice to hair health. I use Manic Panic's Virgin Snow now. SO healthy and all around better-for me at least.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/23/2011 10:16:00 PM More reviews by Naturalmakeuppleasee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I had horrible results with this product. Mind you, it was partly my fault but the product itself is horrible! My natural hair color is medium ashy/mousy brown. I tried 6N (dark blonde) on virgin hair, with 30V salon care creme developer, hoping for a light brown hair color for the summer. I put it all over for 45 minutes and ended up looking like carrot top! Since I applied it to the roots since the beginning, I ended up with hot roots and orange/brassy hair down to the ends. So that's my rant about the color I got. Again, brassy orange, even though I didn't even choose a gold shade!!
Now for the product itself, this left my hair looking and feeling like straw! As I was washing it off, I almost cried at how damaged my hair felt (and this was before looking at the hair color!). I've had to deep condition every week to get my hair to a bearable feel. Also, I had to cut 2 inches off my hair due to all the damage this gave my ends. And the SMELL will stick around for days! I'm usually not very picky about smells, I know this has ammonia and it will smell, but for it to linger for soo many days made me dizzy!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2011 1:09:00 PM More reviews by LadyW0lf

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my first review. I use the Wella Color Charm Permanent Gel Haircolor # 5WV - Cinnamon.
I have to say this is the best color I have ever tried. The color is just beautiful, I can see the cinnamon highlight throughout my hair. It stays shiney and takes much longer for the grey to show then other colors I have used. It took me a while to discover this color, once I did I fell in love with it and it is all I use now. I use a 10 volume developer with a 1:1 ratio and it looks incredible!! The 10 volume lights very gently, so if you do not want the color lifted this is perfect.
I hope this helps out someone else who is looking to try out this hair color. I hope you have as much luck with yours as I do.
Peace, Love & Good Karma