April 19, 2014 | 1762 users online

Toners - Neostrata - Toning Solution (8%)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2014 12:01:00 AM More reviews by carlau

This product changed my life. I had really bad flaky, congested skin before and some acne. This stuff really helped clear me out of all the acne and congestion such as white heads and black heads. I would spend hours picking at my skin to get all the sebum and dead skin out about every 2 days. I also had hyperpigmentation. After my doctor prescribed this with 2% clyndamicen, I never had to pick at my face again!

It's been 4 months now since starting this product, I hadn't had any congestion nor have I had even one pimple! My hyperpigmentation is fading quick and my skin feels smooth and not dry at all.

At first using this product I noticed a change right away. However, little white heads would pop up in places I wouldn't have ever had them, this is because the product makes your skin purge all the dirt and polution that's inside your skin. It lasts about 2 weeks and then your skin goes back to normal and better than before. I would give it time. When you first put this product on, if you're not used it it, it will sting, similar to putting lemon juice on your skin. This can be irritating but is normal, it will go away after a few minites when your skin climatizes to this product.

I would work my way up from this 8% level 1 product to the higher grade of AHAs and not use a stronger product if you haven't used AHAs before.

If you battle and struggle with acne and majorly congested comedomed skin like me, this product is right for you and it will make your skin feel and look amazing and in a way you never thought possible. Use with broadspectrum sunscreen for best results though.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2014 6:40:00 PM More reviews by laylabronx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this product. It is a great value when compared to other AHA toners available and it is available at tons of drugstores making it easy to find.
I have oily acne prone skin and this toner works extremely well for me. I followed the instructions and gradually increased how frequently I use the toner so my skin did not react negatively at all. I have noticed that it has helped some of my acne scars and skin discoloration fade with regular use. I find it necessary to use a hydrating moisturizer while I use this as it makes my skin dry. Overall this toner has improved my acne, reduced my scars and evened out my skin tone! I would recommend this product to anyone with similar skin to mine!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2014 7:39:00 PM More reviews by esxli

i started using the level 1 first to build up my tolerance.. i noticed in less than a week, my skin was smoother and brighter. my skin would peel as well. i read other reviews and they mentioned this product purging their skin. it does purge a bit.. but it goes away fast and very small. now im using level 2 and i find faster and better results with the level 2. i use level 1 in the morning and level 2 at night. faded most of my acne scars already! even indented acne scars that i had..and only with two months of use. Def recommend this to anyone!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/14/2013 9:54:00 PM More reviews by dancergirl68

I don't know what everyone here is talking about! This stuff has caused me to overproduce oil because of how harsh it is. It hasn't done anything for my blackheads, I swear my acne scars look worse, and it has caused me to be an oil slick therefore breaking me out. I have gave this a month to prove and it hasn't done anything. Waste of money

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2013 11:50:00 PM More reviews by nellja

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Only one week in, will update, but but BUT, I *cannot* believe I've been walking past this for however long. I cannot believe my skin tone and texture has changed so much in such a short time. I've been getting compliments already; the changes are obvious.

Until last week I had: dull, tired-looking skin, poor tone, clogged & not-small looking pores. Am a rosacean with occasional hormonal inflammation.

Over the past month, I've been transitioning from products that didn't work so well anymore. Original routine:
- jojoba oil & Clean & Clear Makeup Dissolving Foaming Cleanser to wash pm; much less of the C&C am
-Tactuo (Epiduo) pm, every pm;
- Metrogel am
- various sunscreens, all problematic for one reason or another (irritation or inflammation; shine/tack)

About three weeks ago I started:
- weaning off the am Metrogel due to irritation, and replacing it with a 2% salicylic acid gel (C&C again, would prefer another but it was just there), and
- a tiny bead of BP* spread quite thinly over the face under SS (the thought was, the SA might make the skin absorb more of the SS; better to have the BP there as a barrier)
- Ombrelle's SPF 45 Ultra Light Face Cream, which seems to be protecting skin and also not making it freak out (at all! Thanks MA!)

So that was ok, I had no irritation or further inflammation, all good, but the dullness persisted.

1 week ago: started using this toner every other night, tag-teaming with the Tactuo/Epiduo. All of a sudden, my skin looks brighter, smoother and clearer than it has in years. Pores look tighter and cleaner, no inflammation, no irritation of the rosacea (so far!). I'd resigned myself to thinking I'd forever left this kind of skin in my twenties. And here it is, back!

I think I'll stick to using the Tactuo every 2-3 days to maintain what benefits it gives me, and use this most nights. Just amazing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2013 11:24:00 PM More reviews by akneil

I have just started using this toner and so far so good. I was searching for a product with glycolic acid to help with my acne and acne scars. I read the great reviews on here and decided to try it. It is kind of pricy (30$ canadian) but I hear the bottle lasts a long time. I have already noticed that my skin is smoother and i believe it is helping my acne/scars so far. I'm anxious to see the long term results.
I will update after I have used it longer, but I like this product so far!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2013 11:08:00 PM More reviews by hollywaldorf

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Along with 50 mg of apo-minocycline, my doctor recommended the Neostrata Level One Toning Solution for me. My pharmacist instructed me to use it once a day, at night, after washing my face, and to leave it on overnight. It stings sometimes, but only a little bit (MUCH less than lemon, if you've ever used lemon as a toner for acne scars). This has improved my skin more than anything I've ever used. My acne has decreased, but I still get blemishes, especially right before my period. I also still have acne scars (red, flat ones, not holes) that are going away slowly.

I have a dermatologist appointment in a few weeks and I plan on asking her her advice. Love that Neostrata is Canadian!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/1/2012 12:12:00 PM More reviews by dahlia4

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used this on my face for a year and had mixed results. I currently use it on my forehead, where it keeps the breakouts to a minimum, because it was pretty ineffectual on the rest of my face. It did, however, practically get rid of the acne on my chest and back! The packaging is simple and makes it easy to get every last drop out of the bottle. The biggest downside is the cost, but thankfully the bottle lasts for several months.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2012 1:46:00 AM More reviews by darkmist

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am seriously in love with this product. My skin is so smooth now, my hyperpigmentation from old acne scars seem to be fading faster, and I seem to be getting less breakouts/breakouts are healing faster now (I usually break out on chin or have a few on cheekbones). The Level 1 toner was my first ever AHA product and I while I did see some results within 10 days, it's really a month or so in that i really start to see major impressive differences. The instructions tell you to ease into this product if it's your first time using AHAs - YOU REALLY SHOULD LISTEN TO THIS. You should first start off by using once a day or even once a day every other day if your skin is really sensitive. I ignored the instructions since I'm impatient and greedy for results and dove in with using the toner twice a day which resulted in a slight stinging/burning sensation on first few applications and some dry patches. These neg effects stopped after the first week-ish. I also did experience purging - my chin started breaking out more than usual but after two weeks, my skin is a lot clearer and smoother.

Packaging wise, it's very simple - a plain white plastic bottle. It's not the prettiest but I'm happy having a boring bottle for an overall lower price point. I don't like the small hole that the lid has as I feel like it's forcing me to squirt out more product than I actually need. I simply unscrew the whole cap and hold a cotton pad to the open mouth and tip over quickly to lightly dampen my cotton round and swipe away. A pump dispenser would've been nice but all in all, no big deal. I don't know how well this will help with teenage acne but if you are suffering from small but constant adult hormonal breakouts, I highly recommend you try out this product! It's totally improved my cranky skin :)

Note: If you live in BC Canada (or wherever they have London Drugs) you should buy the gift sets - you get a full sized toner and a full sized gel cleanser for only ~$27 (so the gel cleanser is free). These sets are available year round so take advantage of them!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2012 1:32:00 AM More reviews by StilettoQueen7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

To start, I have oily/acne-prone skin. This product? Saved. My. Skin. Been struggling with acne for the last ten years, and of course over that time have accumulated multiple layers of scarring and red marks. This is keeping pimples at bay - I currently have zero on my face. Zero. All thats left is the red marks, and this is also just sloughing the rest of that away, slowly but surely. You have to give it time though, and use it on a consistent basis (I use it twice daily with the Avene Cleanance Soapless Gel Cleanser for oily skin, Neutrogena Ageless Intensives Deep Wrinkle Moisture (day) and Neostrata Smoothing Lotion Level 3 (night) - ALL are gems). It does sting, more so if you use it less consistently, but it's not super painful or anything. You're skin does get used to it, but I do feel the sting most if I've scrubbed my face beforehand (with The Body Shop Facial Buffer, which I use 3x a week with my cleanser in the shower - another gem). Also, you will notice some purging if you're using it for the first time, but its just dinky half-assed zits, and as they appear they will go away within a day or so, no biggie. Again, give it time. Results are top notch, and if you pair it with other products that actually work, (see my other reviews) you should see a big difference within a month. I've been able to stop using full coverage foundation and globs of concealer all over my face. Now I use light to medium coverage depending on my day, and I only need concealer for under my eyes and a few dark marks along one side of my jaw. That's it! It's awesome! Definitely give this product a go if other supposed acne-fighting products just arent cutting it. I have repurchased multiple times, and have 3 in stock right now just so that I am never without it :).