Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 Gel

Serum: Water, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pantothenic Acid, PhenoxyethanolHydrating B5 Masque: Water, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Sodium Hyaluronate, Phenoxyethanol, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Benzoate, Panthenol, Sodium PCA, Urea, Disodium EDTA, Trehalose, Polyquaternium-51

on 3/12/2015 1:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have combo-oily, sensitive (among others, my skin takes the habit of breaking out in hives when it doesn't like something I eat or put on my skin), SD/PD-prone skin. OSPW. Fitzpatrick IV.

I got a slew of Skinceuticals samples from local aesthetic clinic. I had high hope on this given the rave review, simple ingredients list and price tag.

The first couple days I was using it, my skin felt dry instead of quenched and the skin around my mouth was drying up and flaking. I kept on using it, hoping that if I'm persistent, I will be rewarded by plumper healthy skin.
I posted my concern on SCB and one member pointed out to me that it may be flaring up my SD. I thought since the flaking started from around the mouth and not between my eyes/eyebrows where my SD is the worst, it was just dryness. The day after, my skin start itching in that very area which quickly manifested in red itchy bumps and flaky skin.
No doubt, this product does aggravate my SD. I don't know which of the ingredient may cause it, since I've used other products containing those in this gel and never had a problem (given that the rest of the ingredients or the entire formula agrees with my skin).
I stopped using it right away and switched to Sebamed Clear Face Care Gel (which also contains both actives in this gel), as well as continuing my Skinoren and my skin immediately calmed down and the flareup was gone soon after.

Obviously enough, I won't repurchase or even finishing the sample, at least not on my face.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have dry patches and sensitive skin, I tried many moisturizers by many brands, you name it. e.g. Physio-gel, La Mer Cream, etc. They worked well during winter, when spring is coming up. The humidity makes me feeling sticky after applying the above moisturizers, then I decided to try this B5 gel, hopefully, it will help to improve my dry and dull skin. At the same time, I can avoid to use moisturizers when the weather is super humid in Singapore and Hong Kong.

I like to check out the ingredients of each product I try, I noted one of the ingredient in this B5 gel is: Hyaluronic acid, it effectively binds moisture to the skin, repairing a dry, mature complexion. Once I put a few drops on, it is not sticky at all. My skin instantly absorb it and feeling soft.

The dry patches has gone after the 2nd day I used the product, I was very impressed. After using a month, I reckon the vitamin B5 was able to rejuvenate my dry and tired skin, and the essential nutrients in this product effectively help my skin to look healthy again. Not only me, all my friends with sensitive skin all love it. It has no scent to irritate sensitive skin, and it was able to improve the condition of your skin.

on 1/18/2015 5:06:00 AM

Yes, it's expensive, but I haven't found anything better for when my skin needs an extra shot of moisture. It's not a particularly exciting product to use: it doesn't smell of anything, and the texture is very viscous - almost slimy - but a couple of drops over face and neck calm down thirsty post-peel or winter skin and leave it appreciably softer. Four lippies because of the price; would repurchase as there's nothing else that does the same job - but I'm still on the lookout for something similar that just feels a bit more pampering.

on 9/13/2014 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I got a samle of this from Equinox Spa and was told it is great to use every day, right after washing my face and before applying sunscreen and moisturizer.
I am not sure I noticed any difference.. I used for about a month, then noticed few breakouts. I stopped using it, and my face got better.

on 7/13/2014 8:44:00 AM

Finishing a bottle now and I just don't know. I usually use this after doing a home peel. Pros: no breakouts, not sticky, no bad reactions from my sensitive skin. Cons: No longer-term benefits realized, not moisturizing, expensive. I just haven't had good luck with Skinceutical products (4 different). They don't make my skin worse, but the benefits are negligible given the price.

on 6/16/2014 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

smells like nothing, yet hydrates. i love how it unscented, really looks like water and smells like water. this is perfect after using the CE Feurlic for day time. this is also good to use after a mud mask when ur face is dried out or peeling. good all-time life savour! love all skinceuticals packaging, practical, simple, not silly looking or wannabe-luxe. I always ask for the samples (as they are mini droplet versions of originals) at my local skinceuticals skincare centre and i always transfer to the small bottle and leave the original in the fridge.

on 4/18/2014 11:12:00 PM

Love love love this!
I have combo skin (dry cheeks and oily t zone), this is a great addition before moisturizer. It keeps my skin hydrated thus use less of the moisturizer. Sometimes I can skip moisturizer and add SPF and be on my way.

on 12/18/2013 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm on my fifth bottle already - this stuff really moisturizes and sinks into your skin almost immediately! I have sensitive skin and this does not irritate in any way - my holy grail. The only downside is that it is quite pricey, but I do keep going back!

on 11/25/2013 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Yes, pricey but I do notice that my skin is more hydrated. A couple drops is enough for the whole face. I mist my face with rose water before use (AM and PM). Then normal night time moisturiser (PM) or SPF day moisturiser (AM). Just at the end of my first bottle and will definitely repurchase.

on 11/2/2013 9:41:00 AM

Firstly...I don't think this product is bad..it does the job but in terms of price and better products out there with a similar niche..it does NOT rate that high.
I have been using this religiously for the past year, morning and night followed by a moisturiser. It sinks in well like your typical low molecular weight serum by leaving the skin surface almost dry for your moisturiser to sink in to and form its barrier.
Pros:
-after two weeks I didn't have to put as much moisturiser on
-no break out or skin irritation

Cons:
-pricey for hyaluronate to be far down ingredient list
-dropper is a bit fidly ... It dispenses way too much :/

On the quest for a better HYDRATING serum with low molecular weight particles to seep right through the dermis with other nice properties I came across two..both PRICEY but well worth it as they do the skinceutical hydrating b5's job but I promise 10x better. Dermaquest advanced hydrating B5 gel (hyaluronate way up in the ingredients list) and Dr Sebagah hyaluronic acid serum.
After trying these two ^ above you will feel that ..skinceuticals b5 and dermalogica hydrating booster are both a waste of money for what they claim.
Hope this has been helpful.

Popular Treatments (Face)