July 25, 2014 | 1727 users online

Cleansers - Albolene cleanser

rated 3 of 5 on 7/21/2014 11:43:00 AM More reviews by FeminineWoman

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I'm on the fence with Albolene. I have never used a product that has as many pros and cons as I have with Albolene.

Makeup remover ~ Albolene liquifies somewhat when it touches skin. It's a lighter version of petroleum jelly. When I apply it to my face, it seems to drag, which in turn, feel there's too much pulling on my skin. When I tissue off Albolene, makeup glides off effortlessly. I then wash my face with a mild cleanser to remove remaining makeup and to remove the slimy leftover albolene on my face.

Overnight Moisturizer ~ Slathered up with Albolene before bedtime, and woke up with baby soft skin; however, went to bed with a thick, slimy film on my face. Felt as if I put motor oil on my face ha.

I haven't used this product in several weeks, but after reading the glowing reviews, am going to get it out of my "bought product, but no longer use it" basket :) and give this another try.

Okay, got out the Albolene and tried it again…..threw it right back in the "brought product, but not longer us it" basket. It doesn't matter the amount I use on my face, cannot tolerate the goopy texture of this product. I will save it to use on my lips, or dry patches on my face during winter.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2014 10:11:00 PM More reviews by holygrailgurl

I love albolene so far, I have been using it for about 7 weeks. I have had a hard time with cystic acne breakouts for 3 years. This calms my skin down a lot, I take a warm wash cloth after i get home from work gently steem my face with it and wipe gently, then apply a THIN layer of albolene take the same wash cloth and wipe off all my make up, If my skin still feels greasy I use loreal hydrafresh toner on my nose and t zone and take a q tip and put it on any exisiting bumps, BUT I dont recommend doing that everytime. I think albolene alone is the best gentle healer for cystic types. I went to return something at macys and the girl at the counter told me when her grandmother passed she had horrible cystic breakout and it took her 3 weeks of albolene to heal the breakout. I dont think this is a cure-all but a huge help when dealing with cystic acne. Hope this helps someone whos suffering with acne

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2014 1:31:00 AM More reviews by vesuvia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have ridiculously sensitive skin. Even Cetaphil and Cerave cleansers will set it off and make it sting, redden, and eventually (if used a few nights in a row) break out. This is the ONLY cleanser I've found that leaves my skin happy. I don't even rinse with water afterward. I just rub a hunk of Albolene in, then wipe it away with a damp washcloth. After four months of this, my skin has never looked better. MIRACLE!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/24/2014 9:28:00 PM More reviews by clarissa90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this since I am on the search for a heavy duty eye makeup remover. The bad news is that it contains mineral oil, which is known by dermatologists to dry out tear ducts. On to the next. I will not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/17/2014 11:51:00 PM More reviews by lylaura

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

So this review is for anyone with acne who is considering trying albolene. I tried it because now im in my late 20's my skin is drier, I have my acne under control, but the wrong product can lead to flareups. I used it in October -Dec. It really does remove eye makup. How I used it: rubbed on eye area, tissued off, and washed rest of face with usual mild cleanser. No breakouts, untill... It was winter my skin was dry, I decided to use it on the rest of my face to remove all my makeup, after a week of this I started getting breakouts on my cheeks where I normally don't breakout, so I stopped using it and my breakouts cleard up.

I now use cold/ expeller pressed sunflower oil, with 0 breakouts! I've been using sunflower since Jan-now for 4 months without issues :) Its only $2 for a huge bottle. I gave my albolene to my mom who loves it.

My skin will breakout with anything I had previously been on 2 rounds of accutane that wore off after 2 years etc..

Everyone's skin is diff, but if your skin sounds like mine skip the Albolene and give sunflower oil a try.

Albolene is a solid I should of figured it would clog my pores.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2014 4:38:00 PM More reviews by eadinsmo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been using this for the past couple of months and I really like it! I don't wear a lot of makeup, but I do usually wear mascara, and this gets it OFF.

It is super-cheap and comes in a nice hygienic tube with a flip-top. I squeeze out about 1/2" of it, warm it between my fingers (where it liquefies), and smooth it on my face (eyes closed). I concentrate on my eyelashes, but I can feel the mascara dissolving pretty quickly.

I have tried a couple different ways to remove it. Dry washcloth? Too abrasive. Toilet paper? Tears to small greasy shreds. Pampers baby wipes are just perfect! I use the fragrance-free kind that are made for sensitive skin. I'm not really trying to remove every trace of it, but I could.

The downside is that my eyeballs get a little greasy and I have a hard time reading afterwards. But I can live with that!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2014 9:02:00 PM More reviews by itsiliii

My skin type: oily, sensitive, very very acne prone

The good:

Now the truth is, i LOVE this stuff. I've experimented a lot with skin care products but now that my routine has settled down this is my go-to cleanser. It is similar to OCM except without oils dripping everywhere. I bought the product that comes in the squeeze tube so it is very hygienic. The texture is very gooey when you squeeze it out, but the moment you rub it between your hands it melts into a very spreadable/luxurious texture. I usually clean my face with it twice. Once to get off most of the makeup, and a second round to make sure everything is off. I remove it with baby wipes. it leaves my face soft, moisturized, and VERY CLEAN. And did I mention you can use this as an occlusive moisturizer????

The bad:

Obviously you have to make sure the product is off, or the makeup/other gunk on your face is gonna stay on. Aside from that, I really have no other complaints.

:) Definitely recommend !

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2013 7:03:00 PM More reviews by Katras

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Like others before me it has taken me awhile to appreciate this cleanser. I remember buying it months ago, used it once and then stuck it under my bathroom cabinet to be forgotten. Fast forward to December 2013 and me in need of a no-rinse cleanser and remembering I had bought this. Okay, so it's only been a couple of weeks but I think I finally got the hang of this stuff and it's many uses...

1. Hand & Body Moisturizer: you don't have to use a lot, maybe a pea size amount for your hands. You would think that, because of it's consistency you'd be left with greasy hands but that's not the case. It absorbs fairly quickly and leaves no greasy residue behind.

2. Hair Frizz Tamer: Again, only a small amount is needed to tame unruly coils, static or frizz.

3. Lip Exfoliate: There are two ways you can this to exfoliate for baby soft lips. a) Take a half-a-pea size amount and mix with a pinch or two of sugar. Rub onto lips, using a circular motion and then wipe off with a warm damp cloth…or b) apply a liberal amount onto lips, let it soak in for maybe 2-3 minutes and wipe off with a warm damp cloth. Either way, super soft lips.

4. Face cleanser: I have to admit I'm still testing out different methods but I think I found mine - take a glob and really work it in the skin, massaging it into my problems areas (chin & jaw) until it has taken on a liquid-like consistency and then wipe off with either a tissue or baby wipe. Repeat (if not too tired). Finish with toner to remove any residue. I don't think it has caused any acne flare ups, and has definietly made skin softer. Update later.

Overall I am satified with the number of uses for this stuff, especially considering you can get a huge jar at CVS/ Walgreens for about $12 USD and it lasts quite awhile. I think that even if I don't continue to use it on my face (time will tell), I will repurchase it only for the other uses ~ I love multiple purpose products! continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2013 12:22:00 PM More reviews by flybaby

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

For some weird reason, MUA shows my age as a reviewer as 18 and under. Don't know why, I think most of my other reviews come up as my actual age group (As of 2014 I am 58) I don't know if this matters to you, but thought I should note it...

It took me a while to grow to love this. In fact, I didn't really realize how much I did love it, until I began to run out.

I purchased the large tub (12oz/340g) size (via Amazon, for convenience sake) last winter, and when I received it, and saw how much there was in the container, I thought to myself I'd better like it, because it was going to last me for forever!

There was a learning curve on my way to true love. I had been accustomed to emulsifying oil cleansers that rinsed clean with water. My summer favorite had been Clean Energy Cleansing OIl by Origins, winter/year round favorite had been Fancl Mild Cleansing Oil. I also tried one by Lancôme (did not love) and Shiseido (which was nice, but didn't like it well enough to justify its cost over the others)

For many years I'd had oily skin, and even though at this point, any problem with oiliness is history (trust me, menopause takes care of that!) it still took me a while to realize it was more than okay to use a cleanser that was not water soluble. My only previous experience had been many years ago with Ponds cold cream. I'd hated the fragrance, and pretty much everything about it.

Albolene is fragrance free. Although it did not cause a radical transformation with my skin, I think my skin is better for using it. Albolene is gentle, and removes all traces of foundation, etc. I don't wear waterproof mascara, so I can't speak to how well it works for taking it off completely. I do wear waterproof gel eyeliner, and sometimes I'll still have smudges under my eyes if I'm not thorough enough, and will need to use a q-tip to clean up. (Probably because I use while in the shower with no mirror to see if I've got it all).

My evening routine is to floss teeth at bathroom basin , then take out my contacts, scoop out some Albolene, apply all over my face and eyelids, then get in the shower and let the Albolene stay on my face while I brush my teeth and bathe. Then, I take a warm wrung out washcloth, wipe my face, and turn my face under the shower spray to get the rest of my mascara off. I use Trish McEvoy curling mascara (another true love!) which is a tubing type of mascara that slides off the lashes with warm water, and is not oil soluble.

The Albolene container is utilitarian and not attractive to have sitting out. After I came to know that this was a keeper, I started re-potting it into a more elegant jar.

There are plenty of other helpful reviews on MUA to read that give more specific product information, and I don't feel the need to repeat it. I just want to add a review, because it is such a wonderful product, and I somehow failed to notice its existence until a year ago.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2013 10:05:00 PM More reviews by SandySki

This cleanser has been a godsend for my very dry skin. I take spiro for cystic acne which keeps my skin clear but very dry ( except t-zone had remained oily and blackhead prone yet dehydrated and albolene has helped that as well). Our cold, dry, North Dakota winter really takes a toll on my skin and makes it look older and more wrinkly than it is. This is wonderfully comforting and effective at removing makeup. I remove it with a warm washcloth and then use ponds moisturizer. Packaging is ugly. My skin looks healthier and stronger (almost like it is thicker somehow, weird) than it has in years. It just kills me to think how much money I could have saved on skincare and how much more NARS I could have bought with that.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No