April 20, 2014 | 926 users online

Foundations - Hourglass - Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 4/18/2014 3:27:00 AM More reviews by xstellar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

After hearing so many good things about this foundation, I decided to go to Sephora and get a sample.

I have sensitive skin, so naturally I have lots of redness to cover (from basically any kind of friction and exertion). I wouldn't say I have oily skin, per se, but my T-zone definitely needs touching up with a dusting of powder after a few hours.

So upon application, I was warned to moisturize very well as it could cling to dry patches and exaggerate them. I then used the Hourglass Veil Primer underneath. The foundation DEFINITELY dried and set very quickly, like you have to blend pretty fast. I thought I blended pretty well but I still ended up with blotches. That was pretty much a nightmare, and the more I added on the more blotchy it got. (Not buildable!) I tried diluting the blotchiness with primer but in the end I had to basically wipe off some of it to redo cuz I just could not get it. Though I did notice how flawless my skin looked once I blended out completely. It was definitely a powder finish, it was ALMOST too matte, even. But after applying some blush and bronzer, I looked pretty awesome.

So the story goes that I wore the Immaculate on a super sunny day, it was like 90 degrees out and my boyfriend had taken me to the botanical gardens so I was outdoors all day. We also took a lot of pictures in natural lighting, both in sunlight and shade. I'll tell ya, it photographs so beautifully, my skin literally looked immaculate and it's totally not. And it looked so natural too, I was in love! For the first couple hours anyway, because guess what? I started noticing that every time I smiled for the picture (or even moved my face too much) I felt it tugging at my skin. I don't have dry skin, but it made my skin felt SOO dry! Like, to the point where I wanted to hose it off right then and there, immaculate skin be damned. It also kind of even stinged a bit. But like I said, it did look awesome. We were in the sun for 5 - 6 hours (and I did sweat) but the makeup literally did not budge. Though I kinda wish it had because at that point it started getting itchy. That was as long as I got to wear it for because as soon as I got home I took a shower (due to both sweat and uncomfortable face) and washed it right off.

Verdict: It is definitely immaculate. It makes your skin look beautiful. Is it buildable though? No. Does it make you feel dry? Sooo dry. And like I said, I definitely moisturized well. I haven't tried it since, and I'm kinda scared to because I kinda want it to be an option in the future because like I said it just looks soooo good. But for the price, I can't deal with those cons. Especially since it makes my face so uncomfortable!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2014 8:41:00 PM More reviews by JuliaCote

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love the texture and coverage of this foundation. Unfortunately, mine doesn't match my skin anymore so I have to mix it with another foundation or powder over it, but it's good if you have very oily skin like me. I just wish it wasn't so pricey.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/20/2014 3:06:00 AM More reviews by lovethekings

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

I thought this foundation was mediocre at best. It has a liquid to powder finish and dries almost instantly when you apply.. Which I do not like. I thought it was difficult to work with and almost TOO matte because my combination skin felt dry even in the oiliest parts (T-zone). Also the price is ridiculous! Something around $75 CAD after tax. No thanks.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2014 10:27:00 PM More reviews by LilyLil

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my HG foundation. Right shade (vanilla), finally, and right texture on my greasy mug. I still powder, although I guess ideally you're not supposed to have to. But I do.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/13/2014 9:32:00 PM More reviews by Griffin13

Not what I hoping for.
Cons (personally)
-don't care for the texture as I am first applying it but it does go away
-Minimal coverage at Best
-Shade options did not work for me (went from too light to too orange)
-oxidizes within a few hours
-lasts 3-4 hours (with primer and setting spray)
- Emphasizes every Flake of potentially dry skin..skin I did not realize was dry and did not have issues with prior
-Pricey

I have medium skin, dark brown hair and eyes, "normal" skin with slightly oily patches in "t-zone" but not consistently, dry skin around nose.
I have to say as well that I felt very disappointed in the sales girl at Sephora, while I am responsible for making my purchases I feel she did not advise well. She immediately suggested this foundation and every point that I made against it was answered with the fact that lighting in the store is poor. I requested a sample ( I was already purchasing numerous other products) but she was very hesitant and pushed that I could return it (which I should know I rarely follow through on). Not to mention that every other product she suggested for me was contrary to what I wanted which was supported when finally a sale girl I was familiar with stepped in. Go with your gut on this one, if you are hesitant insist on a sample or don't buy it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2014 8:25:00 AM More reviews by reh92

This stuff is flipping pricey!!! That being said, I really like this foundation and have already made it through a second bottle. It applies pretty evenly and the texture of this is definitely powdery when set and very mattifying. I use this when I have a long day of work ahead of me and want a perfect base because it has great staying power and usually keeps my oily t-zone pretty good. I really hate the feeling of a greasy foundation (that gross feeling after a couple of hours where it feels like your face is literally melting off) but I have pretty bad acne scars and discoloration so I have to use something and this really covers everything without feeling like I have mud on my face by the end of the day.

The color very slightly oxidizes to a warmer/darker color after a bit of time but it's not bad if you choose the correct shade. I would recommend trying a sample of this before investing the money in a full bottle because I don't think everyone would love it. It seems targeted for oily skin, but I have combination and this works fine for me although sometimes when I have a random dry patch on my jaw or didn't moisturize enough, this will settle and show up a little darker in those spots if that makes any sense.

All in all, this is a great full coverage foundation to give you that "flawless" look and I will keep repurchasing until I find something even better!

rated 2 of 5 on 2/24/2014 10:52:00 AM More reviews by sarahmedeiros

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Honestly, how dare they sell this for $64 dollars and claim that it is "Perfect for the oiliest of skins" and Sephora. Everything about this enticed me into purchasing it. The bottle is stunning, the things it claims are wonderful (will soak up oil, perfect matte, no touch-ups, etc) and the price makes you believe it has to work. Well, it doesn't. I wouldn't even pay $5 for this if it was offered in the drugstore. It literally shined up after 3 hours (with my favorite primer underneath), and not only that, but the coverage was lousy, and I was patchy by mid-afternoon! Worst purchase ever made. The only plus is I can return it.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/18/2014 2:35:00 PM More reviews by Katiedoggett123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Okay. Lets start out with my skin type: I'm combination, and have acne prone skin. Last summer I was having trouble being extremely oily. I asked the lady in Sephora what I should do to get to help and she suggested this. OKAY: It was a nice foundation, it blended smoothly and my face looked very nice with it on. It did oxidize a little bit but that didn't bother me too much. Now for paying $60 for not having oily skin is what it didn't do. My skin still got really oily. Although it didn't break me out the only reason I bought it was for the oil control. Disappointed. The packaging was awesome, I loved the pump(wish more products had it). Overall, its a nice foundation if you have money to spend on something like that. I on the other hand ended up going back to Cover Girl for $12 and was satisfied.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/10/2014 2:30:00 AM More reviews by missamanthann

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'll preface this by saying that I have only used this foundation once, thanks to a sample from Sephora. I didn't know anything about this foundation prior to getting the sample, but the recommendation from the Sephora staff was that this was great for acne-prone skin (including some testimonies about it clearing up acne entirely), a buildable light to medium (and even full) coverage, and very oil-resistant. I was perfectly matched to the shade Pearl, which is a pale color with pink undertones.

Background about my face: For starters, I am extremely, extremely pale. As in my redheaded friends are tanner than naturally brunette me. My skin becomes very oily and shiny throughout the day, particularly on my forehead, even with makeup. Additionally, most foundation has a tendency to "migrate" on my face, or at least you can see splotchiness or spots on my face where the foundation has accumulated with a dry, patchy, and very gross texture. Not exactly appealing. Additionally, my very acne-prone skin itself has a lot of redness around the nose and chin, bumpy red pimples, and in general a lot of bumpy, mountainous ranges from little tiny acne areas across my face. In short, I need a full-coverage, oil-proof foundation that doesn't migrate or slide and that also is light enough to match my very pale face. The closest I have found was the Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation, but unfortunately they discontinued my shade, L-42, so I am on the hunt again. The only other foundation that has been okay with my skin is Revlon Colorstay for Combination/Oily in Ivory, but that has some serious shortcomings as well.

I applied this foundation after I washed and moisturized my face, and primed with Smashbox Light Primer. I read that this foundation dries quickly so you have to work fast, so I used my Tarte buffer airbrush finish foundation brush (by the way, the best foundation brush I have ever used) and applied to one area at a time, using a quick circular buffing motion. Application of the foundation wasn't too bad, and I didn't have any real issues applying the foundation and blended it all out pretty well. Out of all the liquid foundations I have used, I would say this foundation was probably the most blendable and applied very well. The "feel" on my face was very soft, smooth, and lightweight though, so it didn't feel like I had anything on, which was a nice change from my typical foundation.

The coverage is sheer to light (definitely not medium and absolutely not full). It did not cover any acne spots on my face nor cover the redness around my nose. On the areas of my face that were clear and problem free, the foundation did work very well; it didn't look like I was wearing a liquid foundation and my skin basically just looked a lot better and very matte but without looking dead. I would say that the coverage of this foundation is great if you already have clear skin and aren't worried about any major redness or acne spots (which is a disappointment, as this foundation is supposed to be good for acne-prone skin, which I would assume to mean decent coverage). Trying to build the foundation was a no go. Even using stippling motions with my brush, which usually gives me excellent coverage results, showed no real difference in the amount of coverage. I couldn't really build the coverage at all, so I was most disappointed with this lack of coverage. Even my BB cream has better coverage than this. I would rate this foundation absolutely the worst at that, out of all the foundations, liquid or powder, that I have tried.

I set my foundation with Kryolan Translucent Powder, which is my favorite setting powder for oil control and a fancy finish. Then I left it alone for the rest of my day; it was about 6 hours before I really checked it again. Unfortunately, after about 3-4 hours, I looked quickly at my face and realized that my forehead was starting to get shiny again. As I was at home all day and wanted to really test this foundation's oil coverage, I left it alone and did not touch up (realistically, I don't have a lot of time to touch up when I'm out and about). By the end of the day, my t-zone was completely oily again, and my forehead looked like an oil slick. Additionally, a lot of the foundation seemed to have worn off and my redness and pimples were shining through. Finally, I noticed some pimples had come to a head from the foundation, which is totally gross and not what I want to happen during the day. However, the foundation didn't really seem to have migrated or clumped, which was a major sticking point for most other foundations I have tried. For this being supposedly an oil-controlling, mattifying foundation, I was most disappointed by the performance, as I didn't see any of the oil-controlling benefits this foundation claimed to have. Again, this is an ongoing issue with my face and other foundations I have tried, but my expectations were high for this product and it was, in my opinion, a failure.

Overall, this foundation seems to have a lot of hype surrounding it, and the reviews I've read seem to be divided on whether or not this foundation works. The people for whom the foundation works rave about it, and I really was hoping to be one of those people. Like I said, the application of this foundation is awesome, and the finish on my clear skin areas is awesome. However, there is practically no coverage on my problem areas, my oily areas shined through (literally) very quickly, and I was repulsed by the very prominent pimples on my face by the end of the day. I would be more forgiving of this product if it was a drugstore brand, but for $55 at Sephora, I had much higher expectations.

Application: 9/10
Coverage: 0/10
Staying power: 2/10
Lived up to its claims? Not at all.
Would buy again? Definitely not.
Would recommend? Again, definitely not.
Worth the price? Nope.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2014 9:15:00 PM More reviews by sarah8jane

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

MY FAVORITE FOUNDATION SO FAR!!

Okay so I have acne prone and oily skin and when I went to sephora the worker there recommended to me this foundation. She matched me and even applied it to my face. I was so pleased with how it looked and the color seemed to math my neck very well so I decided to get it. The next day as I apply it I noticed that the color was too pink for my yellow undertones and it didn't match my skin and I didn't like the way it looked either. I felt like it made my skin look so dry and splotchy and I wanted to return it so bad. But before I decided to do that I decided to try different methods for applying it and I used a small concealer brush from bare minerals because it was the only one I had at the time and I loved it! I was so much happier and pleased with this foundation (besides the color but that was my own fault).

All I can really say is if you have dry skin this foundation is probably not the one you want. I notice it tends to show the flaky bits of my face during the winter but during summer this foundation is perfect for me.

*also this is the only foundation that has not broken me out and that is my favorite thing about it because it gives such great coverage and doesn't clog my pores