December 19, 2014 | 1502 users online

Treatments (Face) - clindamycin phosphate topical gel 1%

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2014 2:08:00 AM More reviews by booboondoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a Godsend. I was prescribed this in highschool when acne and roscea got pretty bad. My skin became, flawless afterwards.

Speedup 10 years..... My acne is back and nastier than ever. Even worse, I don't have insurance so....

I break open four clindamycin pills, empty it into a bottle of sea breeze toner, and viola! DIY clindamycin toner.

I applied this toner daily. My cystic acne and roscea are completely gone with a month.

Make sure you follow up with a good moisturizer and maybe an acne system like murad. That's what I use.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2014 12:26:00 PM More reviews by csquared14

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is great. After three months on Epiduo and the oral antibiotic Solodyn (minocycline), my dermatologist transitioned me over to topical clindamycin in the mornings and Epiduo in the evening. I would say that my skin was 75% clear by the time I went on clindamycin, and this has definitely helped clear me up the rest of the way and keep me steady.

This came in a metal tube for around $15 with my insurance - so much, much cheaper than any other prescription acne meds I've been on (for reference, the Solodyn cost me $85 with my insurance and a coupon, and would have been an absolutely unbelievable $900 WITH insurance, without the coupon). The gel is clear and easy to spread. I squeeze out a pea-sized amount in the mornings, spread it all over my face, and then wait five minutes for it to dry before putting on moisturizer and my makeup. It doesn't affect makeup application at all. Unlike other acne meds, it's very gentle. I haven't experienced the extreme drying and pain that came with Epiduo (for the record, it was worth it).

One thing I will say about this is that it is just clindamycin, no other additional acne-fighting ingredients. Obviously, this is something you should talk about with your doctor, but I have my doubts about its effectiveness at treating a full face of severe acne. I think I really needed Epiduo's pore declogging retinol and BP for that. It's been a great stabilizer for me, and awesome at clearing up small breakouts, but I don't think that it has the capability to turn problem skin around on its own. You need more than just an antibiotic for that.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2014 3:25:00 AM More reviews by Shopah0lic21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

Love this stuff.. More in depth review later :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2014 12:09:00 AM More reviews by juliackendall

BE PATIENT WITH THIS PRODUCT!!!! It took a little over a month for it to kick in. Here's my experience with this product. The first two weeks, there was absolutely no change in my acne or skin and I was applying twice a day (in the morning and before bed). Then the third week using Clindamycin WAM! Breakouts all over my face. Like really bad ones. I was about fed up with it and took like a 3-4 day break from using this product because I felt like it was useless. Then I started back up with it. JUST RECENTLY like 3 days ago I noticed a drastic change in my skin. The painful cyst-like pimples I would always get on my chin and nose suddenly shrunk and started healing. I was so relieved!! I also noticed a huge change in the appearance of my acne scars. They're getting lighter. I also found with this product that it works so much better when you apply all over your face rather then spot treating, so it can stop future pimples from springing up out of nowhere. I apply twice a day. I wash my face in the morning, moisturize, then apply the clindamycin and let it settle before applying my daily sunscreen and makeup (it doesn't flake under makeup or make you look cakey since it's gel). Then at night I take off my makeup with coconut oil and wash my face with acne cleanser, moisturize, and apply this product. THIS PRODUCT WAS A LIFE SAVER FOR ME because I am severely allergic to benzoyl-peroxide which really sucked since it seemed like all the acne solutions that actually work contain benzoyl peroxide. I am so happy with my skin (even thought it's not even cleared up yet) and I can't wait for what this product can do overtime!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2013 1:12:00 PM More reviews by mama45

I ready like to use this clindamycin phosphate topical gel again it very good and will like to buy it

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2013 6:36:00 AM More reviews by delias29

Used this product in conjunction with retin-a for over a year. Pros - Best thing about this is that it's gentle on skin. Complements other harsher oral or topical applications such as doxycycline, tretinoin, benzoyl peroxide because the gel is soothing and doesn't add to flaky and irritated skin. When used over popped pimples, it alleviates the inflammation. As an antibiotic, can feel that it helps in keeping the acne in control and contributes to clear skin with very little or no irritation at all. Cheap and a tube of 30g can last me 6 months. Have great love for this product - I use the one by Pfizer. Cons - only one: your skin will eventually build resistance to this. Unfortunately after a year of continued use; once a day, everyday in the morn - my acne has managed to come back. Have now been put on Clindoxyl which is a combination of clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide. I'm very sensitive, almost "allergic" to benzoyl peroxide but the clindamycin content helps to make it tolerable for me. If you find that clindamycin one day does not work for you, you can look at other preparations in combination of it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2013 11:55:00 AM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Love this stuff! I used to use the bottle one but the alcohol was making me overproduce oil. So I had a horrid pimple under my eye that got infected it was weird because I didn't try to pop it or anything. Well my Doc said I needed antibiotics so I said could I have some topical Clindamycin and he wrote me for the gel. I have the 1% and it also has allantoin which helps lighten the spots. Well this in combo with my Retin A is heaven. My skin is so calm and even and the pimples that try to come when I put this on my skin it made the pimple dry up.

I am really happy with the gel and I also am using the Greenstone brand and it was $1.10 with my insurance so I'm happy it's cheap and it works. It can bring pimples up but I notice if you don't pop and just put the Clindo on it does dry up. This month as you ladies know I always break out near that time of the month with this it has kept my skin from getting out of hand. Any pimples I had have dried up. Even my boy friend has noticed and say's my skin looks really nice without makeup. I'm getting to where I don't need makeup or just a little concealer and I'm good. I really recommend this to try because it does help. It might not cure all your spots but honestly it does do a lot and my skin is better now with the Clindo then alone with just the Retin a.

Best of luck I hope it helps someone like it has me.:)

rated 2 of 5 on 5/31/2013 5:03:00 PM More reviews by FlatShoesLover

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

A dermatologist prescribed me this for my occasional inflamed pimples. According to him, this was supposed to help reduce the redness. Like any topical antibiotic I ever used, I can't tell a difference between using this or water. It doesn't work for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2013 5:24:00 PM More reviews by abbyabrams

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So far so good. My derm prescribed this when I complained about pimples on my neck. I've always had issues with acne, but the neck stuff was killing me. I'm happy to say the neck breakouts are no more and my face is much clearer too. No dryness, but I feel like my skin gets oilier now. I'd rather deal with blotting papers than zits though! I usually apply it twice a day and it actually stopped a cystic chin pimple in its tracks! I want to wait a couple of months before I give a 5-star endorsement, but it's well on its way. Only $10 with my insurance too...

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2013 10:49:00 PM More reviews by robbieb

I had a stubborn little red bumps, sort of like a pimple rash on my rear end from exercising all the time. Nothing really helped much until my dermatologist prescribed this lotion and any kind of anti-bacterial body wash. (I started using Dial. I guess all my fabulous body washes will have to collect dust.) The rash/bumps/pimples cleared up within a few days, so I use that combo for every shower and certainly never keep my workout pants on for longer than necessary. Thrilled to not have a rashy red bottom anymore!