November 22, 2014 | 1847 users online

Polishes - Essie - Merino Cool

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2013 1:16:00 PM More reviews by secondadonna

Interesting & unusual shade. I'm very fair, and from a distance it almost looks black or very dark grey/purple. I like it on its own or with a sheer shimmery topcoat that can bring out different elements of the shade. In most light, on me, it's quite purple, even though it's definitely in the grey family. Best if you have cool-toned skin and/or wear a lot of cool colours; otherwise, it will clash. In the bottle it looks quite neutral, but that purple cast is very cool and very noticeable.

Like my other Essie polishes, the formula seems thin and streaky, but after a moment any streaks or ridges seem to flow right out and it dries flawlessly. This particular polish stays very shiny and lasts a few days without topcoat, which is handy.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2013 1:23:00 PM More reviews by withlovemelanie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This polish is one of my favorites. The color itself suits very well with very fair skin, or olive/tan skin. I would not recommend it for those with a darker complexion as the darkness is not complementary. However, this polish is one my favorites in terms of application. I have been finding with a lot of Essie polishes lately that the finished product is streaky, and slow to dry. "Merino Cool" however is a wonderful mixture. The polish does not chip easily, and does not require a top or base coat. I especially love this polish because I am not that great in terms of application of polish, yet the lacquer looks amazing and shiny on my nails. I would definitely recommend this polish to people who are desperately searching for an easy-to-apply nail polish. I'm definitely going to be buying this polish again when it runs out!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2012 12:37:00 AM More reviews by jennstar777

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Purplish greige-very flattering! I think sally hansen's commander in chic is nearly identical to this shade if you'd like to save a few bucks. A must own, loved wearing this in the fall.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2012 3:52:00 AM More reviews by fashionbunny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

As someone who is average at applying nail polish, this is another one of Essie's great polishes in terms of application. I also love this colour for winter/autumn - it is grey/purple with a hint of brown. To me it's the black of a conservative workplace - very wearable and won't offend anyone while still being a little bit interesting!
It took me three coats to achieve coverage I was happy with and dries quickly. Two might be plenty to the well practised. There are some essie products that I struggle with applying, but this is not one of them.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2012 10:16:00 AM More reviews by curlywurly100

i postponed buying this for a long time, as i have plenty of these murky purpley brown colours. but i finally gave in, and this is the best of the bunch and probably one of the originals.
this is a mix of dark grey and purple, then just has a TINY hint of cool brown. in some lights the purple shows up a lot actually. this is wonderful. it makes me miss autumn! very put-together colour that just has something that other similar neutrals don't in my opinion.
the staying power is also great on this one.
a side note: essie have changed their brushes and have made them wider! not sure which brush i prefer, but the new brush definitely quickens the application time.
Merino cool has become a favourite.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/10/2012 1:22:00 AM More reviews by dbfivegirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Application was hard work. With the first coat I did my normal thing which is thin coats but getting smooth coverage was really difficult. So second and third coats were very very thick, formula was nearly dripping off the brush. Still tricky to apply but it self-leveled out reasonably ok. Still, not up the the usual Essie experience. Will try adding some thinner in last time.

I'm not sure what I think of the colour. It's a departure from what I generally wear. It strikes me as a good autumn colour so perhaps it will grow on me. If it doesn't though and thinning it down a bit doesn't help then I probably wouldn't bother buying again.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2012 3:52:00 PM More reviews by EyeCandyx3

This is my go-to nail polish for fall-winter! It goes on flawlessly and is never streaky. It always evens itself out. Two coats (or maybe three thin coats) and you're good to go! It dries quickly and always turns out great with my Essie fast-drying top coat! Such a pretty colour, too!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2012 11:07:00 AM More reviews by carelovespink

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is my go-to polish in the fall/winter. I get so many compliments on it! In some light, it looks like a dark grey, and in others it looks like a deep mauve colour. Two coats and you're good to go!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2012 7:57:00 PM More reviews by BiteMeEricNorthman

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My first gray polish!! I love it. A beautiful lavender-based gray that is perfect for my pale, cool skin.

Gorgeous!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2011 8:15:00 AM More reviews by donatela

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have a confession to make: I'm an Essie virgin. Yes, this is my first try and I got this color from a magazine offer. LOVED IT! My usual colors are black, dark red, grey, beige.. I loved the color, finish, texture, the application is super easy and dries quickly enough. I'm not sure about the duration yet, and even though Essie is pricey I think I will be buying this particular color again.