July 28, 2014 | 2127 users online

Cleansers - Homemade Cold Cream

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2014 9:28:00 PM More reviews by SilentPerfection

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Only been using this 2 weeks but im already in love! Mine is a combo of rice bran oil, grapeseed oil, aloe juice, borax, and beeswax. Being disabled and sick all the time I cant keep up with a "typical" hygiene routine and my face pays for it. Even in the time I have been using it my redness is reuced and the flaking around my nose and mouth is gone!

I think next batch I am going to separate some to whip in some salicylic acid into. I usually need more exfoliating and such around my cycle and that may be the boost it needs to deal with my monthly cysts.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2013 5:50:00 PM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have to use the OCM every night to make sure that all of my sunscreen comes off and prevent break outs. Even when using my clarisonic it feels like I haven't removed it all. I like OCM and it's been great for my skin but it's messy and runny. I started looking into cold cream since it's basicly the same thing and I won't have to worry about leaking bottles when I travel or spills in the bath. Ponds apparently lost their minds and changed their formula to skin irritation in a jar so I had to pass on that and couldn't find a commercial alternative that resembles the old formula. I did come across Deborah's Homemade Cold Cream recipe online (listed below by a previous poster) and love how easy it was to make and the fact that you can customize by subbing whatever oils and wax that works best for your skin. I bought some mineral oil and had candelilla wax on hand and whipped this up in less than 15 minutes. This wax is harder than beeswax though so I cut the amount to 1 heaping Tbsp and the texture came out perfect. I store it in a small clear tupperware container in the fridge. As for the cleaning process, for my combo skin the best routine I've found is after massaging this in well I wipe as much off as possible with a tissue and then wipe down with one of those cheap cotton flour sack cloths after soaking it in hot water. They have just the right texture for gentle exfoliation and are gentle enough to use around my eyes. They are also nice and big and cost about $1 at Walmart. Then do a quick wash with Dr. Bronner or a similar castille soap with cool water. This gets off all of my waterproof mascara, make up and sunscreen without stripping my skin or stinging my eyes and just enough moisture is left behind so that I don't need another moisturizer. I've also found this to be very versatile, it makes a great over night moisturizer for elbows and feet, add a little brown sugar or sea salt for a face or body scrub and I've found that it works better than regular cream or gel for shaving my legs and leaves them nice and soft.

Mineral Oil is not the greenest option but I decided to use it because after researching, despite it's bad rep, it's listed as one of the least reactive oils you can use on your skin. It doesn't make me break out and I can find it for $2 a bottle at my local drug store. I usually use plant based oils like argan and passion fruit because they provide nice nutrients but didn't want to waste a 1/2 cup of expensive oils on what could have amounted to a failed experiment. Now that I know this works so well I'll have to give them a try but I'm happy with this more classic version and you really can't beat the price. All of the ingredients when purchased cost less than a jar of Ponds and probably comes out to pocket change per batch. Add in the fact that it takes less time to make than it would to to go the store and buy a jar and you really can't go wrong with this.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2012 3:53:00 PM More reviews by girlndocs

I've been making my own cold cream for a couple years now, and using it regularly (as my main cleanser) since this spring when I switched to a hypoallergenic facial sunscreen that simply laughs at soap and water.

I make the version that you will find if you Google "Cold cream recipe beauty bottle", with the exception of using light olive oil instead of mineral oil, and rosewater instead of distilled water for a beautiful scent.

Because it has no preservatives, I'm careful to prepare it using scrupulously clean utensils, put it in a freshly scrubbed jar, and I keep it in the fridge; a batch lasts 2 weeks minimum, but after that I start getting nervous about bacteria and chuck what's left. I take the cream out of the jar each night with a clean spoon instead of my grubby mitts. (You can freeze part of the batch, by the way; it doesn't get solid, but it probably keeps longer).

I had to tinker with the oil selection. Initially I used some rice bran oil and found myself getting small bumps and just not very nice skin. When I switched to light olive oil (there's always lots around because I buy at in bulk at Costco) my skin became smooth and glowing again. I do follow with salicylic acid acne lotion because I'm acne-prone, but the cold cream in no way increases my tendency to break out. I massage generously with it to remove sunscreen and makeup, wipe with cotton rounds and then follow with a gentle handmade soap like Chagrin Valley honey butter soap.

Anyway! The cold cream removes my sunscreen and makeup like a dream, my skin is soft and clear, and it's dirt cheap. I sometimes think about just grabbing a jar of Ponds and skipping the (minimal) trouble of mixing mine up, but then I remember the formula change and decline to be disappointed.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/12/2010 10:31:00 PM More reviews by Musetta1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have started making my own cold cream, using this recipe:

DEBORAH'S HOMEMADE COLD CREAM

1/4 teaspoon borax
1/4 cup distilled water
1/2 cup mineral oil, or another oil that is liquid at room temperature (Almond is nice)
1/2 ounce (by weight) grated beeswax**(see below)

Dissolve the borax in the water in a (one cup) glass measuring cup. Set aside.

Dump together the oil and beeswax in a larger (2-cup) glass measuring cup.

Heat the oil/beeswax mix in a microwave until the beeswax is melted in and the mixture is clear.

Heat the borax/water mix in a microwave for a minute - almost to boiling.

Slowly pour the borax/water mixture into the oil/beeswax mixture, using a stick blender to mix as you pour. Now beat well with the stick blender until the mix is glossy white and thickened up some.

Pour the (hot) cold cream into an 8-ounce jar with a lid.

Let it cool to room temperature.

NOTE: If you don't have a stick blender you can beat the cold cream with a whisk or in a regular blender, but the cleanup will be much more difficult. By using glass measuring cups and a stick blender you will be able to simply wipe most of the excess off with paper towels, then wash in hot soapy water. Cleaning plastic measuring cups, and a whisk or (worse yet) a blender of this wax-containing product is difficult and a pain in the neck.

I apply it, leave it on for a few minutes (while brushing my teeth) and then wipe it off with a tissue. You can also wash it off with a cloth and warm water.
It causes my sensitive skin zilch reactions, and leaves it soft and happy. It also does not make me break-out, which most things do! If you have sensitive skin, this is worth trying (and if it does not work for you, you can always use it as a moisturiser for hands/feet etc).

I use a mix of avocado/apricot kernel/sweet almond oil, but you could just use one oil. All clear oils that are liquid at room temperature will work fine, although apparently some people who made this with extra virgin olive oil found it too heavy. I estimate a batch which lasts me 2 months costs around $3.50.

Edited to add: this was too heavy for me in the end. I now just do OCM with hemp oil- which works brilliantly.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2010 2:53:00 PM More reviews by LovelyNo5

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is so easy to make!

100 grams of almond oil (or any other vegetable oil preferred. 2 or more oils can be combined.)
75 grams of Rosewater
16 grams of Beeswax
(1 or 2 drops of essential oil of rose for fragrance. Optional.)

Pour the oil into a bowl and add the beeswax. Put the bowl in a kettle of water and heat it up slowly until the beeswax melts and mixes with the oil, which happens at about 70C. (This way of heating the oil-beeswax is called bain-marie or water-bath.) Remove from the the heat and remove the bowl from the kettle of water.

Pour the rosewater directly into another kettle and heat it up to about 70C. Do not boil.

Pour the rosewater s-l-o-w-l-y into the oil-beeswax and stir continuously until the mix is at room temperature. (Optional: Add essential oil here.) Continue to stir until cool. (An electric mixer is excellent, as it cools the mixture much faster. If you don't stir until the mixture cools completely, it will separate when refrigerated.)
Pour in a jar and refrigerate.

This cold cream keeps for 3 months in the fridge. Scoop out a week's ration at a time and put it in a separate jar is you wish. There is no need to refrigerate this smaller amount if used within a week-10 days.

I find that a mix of 50% almond oil, 50% jojoba oil works best for my dry, sensitive skin. It gives me just enough moisture without becoming too heavy.

I use this Cold Cream to remove makeup, which it does better than any makeup remover I've ever used. It even takes off stubborn mineral foundation. I just smooth it on, massage for a minute or so, then remove using a couple of damp cotton pads. I don't rinse with water afterwards.

I also use it as moisturizer, now in winter in conjunction with Nivea creme to seal in the moisture. For my hair, I use it as a hair cream. A pea or two is perfect for my shoulder length, curly and coarse hair. It gives me soft and shiny curls without any hold, which is what I prefer, since my hair is quite stiff by itself.

This cold cream has saved my skin and hair this very cold and dry winter. It's really an all-in-one product for skin and hair care!

28 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No