Ziana

4.1

clindamycin phosphate 1.2% and tretinoin 0.025%

on 4/10/2015 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

For reference, my skin is combination-dry and extremely sensitive. I recently developed mild rosacea and developed little red/skin colored bumps on my cheeks, sides of my face (sideburn area), and forehead. It made my skin look bumpy in the light, and it looked worse with foundation. I went to a great dermatologist that said that this stuff would do wonders quickly and she didn't steer me wrong.

The product comes in a large tube with a long spout - it's cloudy, runny gel and goes on very smoothly - you only need a tiny bit (the directions say no more than a pea but I used half that on my entire face) and there's a ton of product so it will likely last a very long time.

I use this at night after I wash and dry my face (as directed). The first night, I used just a tiny bit on my forehead to test for a reaction. I awoke the next morning and found that the skin looked dewy (a nice change!) and the redness/small bumps had diminished quite a bit. Thankfully, I had no reaction whatsoever which is fantastic considering that even water can make me break out in a rash these days.

Every night since I've put it all over my face where I need it and have woken up to glowing skin. It says it's not supposed to help with rosacea redness but my cheeks have DEFINITELY diminished substantially over the past 5 days of use. Just this morning, I barely had any redness at all when I woke up. However, I did notice that my forehead was a 'tad' drier, so I'll probably skip a night or two a week going forward. If I didn't use such a heavy moisturizer to begin with, I think I would probably be quite a bit drier.

My doctor also prescribed Oracea (pill) and a brand new gel, Soolantra (supposed to address demodex mites) but I haven't started either yet, I wanted to start the meds slow (not a pill person), to see what works and what doesn't and so far , this stuff is a winner. My skin hasn't looked this good in a over a year.

on 3/16/2015 2:09:00 PM

Let me first say that I don't usually review products, in fact, I think this will be my first review. The reason why I decided to share my thoughts with everyone is because I suffered from terrible cystic-like acne on my forehead which, even when I didn't touch them, left dark marks. After spending hundreds of dollars on skin care products and peels, I finally went to see my GP who prescribed me with Biacna (the Canadian version of Ziana).

. Initially, as other reviews had said, I broke out like crazy. I went from having a few random cystic acne to having them all over my forehead. Unfortunately, this lasted about two weeks. I also started off using the product nightly as i didn't notice a burning. So despite the purge, I encourage everyone to be patient. I also notice my skin became extra sensitive. It burned from sweating at the gym to trying my face with a town after washing it. Also, as they note on the packaging, do not use the product on the creases of your nose, upper-lip, eyes. The skin around those areas are very sensitive. I used it on my upper lip and it started peeling and drying out. I also use a moisturizer on top of the product which is nice for the extra moisture.

Now the verdict. I've been using the product now for almost 2 months, and my face is clear! However, I do get a few tiny bumps here and there but usually around my cycle. These are much more manageable compared to the cystic, painful, scaring acne. Also, when you do get a small pimple, the Biacna clears it right up in a giffy. So right now I'm at that stage where my skin is great and I'm just waiting for all the dark post-acne scars to go away, which I hope will come over the next few months. If they do, I will write a follow-up post in 2 months or so.

Good luck and be patient!

on 3/9/2015 3:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Ziana definitely improve my acne quite a bit but I still had breakouts. Using it more than once a day at the beginning was too much for my skin and caused really bad breakouts. My dermatologist suggested only using a twice a week and it works very nicely now. I've gone off of two other topical antibiotics and a pill since I have been on Ziana. I have been using it for about four years now and hope I can always afford it!

on 1/23/2015 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Prescribed this along with an antibiotic for my acne - lots of it on my chin and cheeks, leaving red/brown spots on my naturally porcelain skin. My skin has cleared up so much - it is naturally very oily so I didn't feel like I was drying out too much at all. Smells like fried food and a little goes a long way!

on 12/2/2014 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

So i was prescribed Biacna (Ziana in the US) along with a antibiotic, Doxycline, for my moderate acne. So far it's been a week with both and i really haven't noticed much of a difference. I've tried eeeeeeeeeverything and i'm really hoping this works! I'll keep you guys updated :)

After 3 weeks :
So my little red spots have been slowly dissipating which should excite me, but after originally not having no active pimples some have popped up. I made the mistake of popping one and it left a mark which led to scab which i had to deal with for a good couple of days. DO NOT POP YOUR PIMPLES ON BIACNA/ZIANA YOUR SKIN IS SUPER SENSITIVE. I'm not sure if this is the purging that i've heard about but if you're anything like me, its SUPER hard not to pop them. My skin does get dry still but a lot less than originally. DO NOT WAX YOUR EYEBROWS ON THIS - Threading won't hurt your skin as much as waxing and i've heard of some horrible stories about women waxing their eyebrows while using this and getting burned or having their skin ripped off so BE CAREFUL.

After a month:
I feel like my acne is coming back. It might be the purge phase because i've been getting a bunch of white heads but i feel like they are new, not the ones sitting under the skin, I'm gonna keep going just as planned because i've heard of it taking almost the full 3 months till they start working.

Lots of love,
Shanii :)

on 7/10/2014 10:30:00 PM

7/10/2014
I went to the dermatologist about a month ago to see if I could get some Retin-A for my post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation (PIH), however I also had some active acne lesions as well so she prescribed Aczone in the morning and Biacna (Ziana is the US version) at night. I have noticed that this combination has been working very well.

The Biacna has smoothed out my skin and I no longer have those little bumps under my skin like I used to - it seems to be controlling my hormonal acne. I have fewer breakouts and ones that do occur don't seem to last very long. I'll update again in a few months :)

8/27/2014
I have to update and say that the acne has been coming back and then going away (probably with my cycle) but I havent had any cystic acne which is great - mostly white heads. I cant seem to get rid of these darn things. I'll update again in a few more months to see how things are going.

9/17/2014
Holy crap... I haven't had a pimple in 2 weeks! Even around time of the month.. nothing.. I think the treatment is finally working. No white heads, no cysts just clear skin. I think everyone that is using this should persevere and keep going. I'll update if anything changes but right now I'm super happy!! Hyperpigmentation seems to be clearing up nicely too!

Bottom line:

GIVE IT TIME.

It will work after about 3 months, so don't expect miracles after a week. Be patient and your skin will thank you for it.

11/20/2014
The treatment is STILL working. I am so pleased. My hyperpigmentation is almost gone and I think it is due to the dual action of this product. It took about 3-4 months for this product to work fully, so don't give up! It's really nice to finally have the skin I had when I was in my teens (never had acne in my teen years) :)

06/02/2015
It's July now, and I thought I'd give a review about this product. My acne DID come back unfortunately, which is why I have to lower my stars for this product. I have not had ANY cystic acne however, only the pustules. I have been trying out spearmint tea in combination with this product and it seems to be working. If you'd like to check out my reviews just search for "Spearmint Tea" here on Makeupalley.

on 5/14/2014 6:58:00 PM

I've been using it for 1 week and this stuff is crazy! I'm one of those people that have tried everything. My face hasn't peeled, gone red, or broken out. Best of all, my acne has improved by so much! I'd say 70%. I haven't broken out like the other reviews said I would. I've never seen such results. the entire right side of my face (which used to be covered) is almost clear. There are still scars and redness from the zits. My acne feels like an illusion, my skin is super smooth but you can still see it... the bumps are flat... I'm being optimistic here but I'd say in a month my acne will be gone!

Cleanser: Spectro Gel (using it for years love it)
Toner: Toner by simple (very gentle you can't go wrong with that)
Then I wait 30 minutes because Ziana has Retinol in it which works best when applied to completely dry skin
put a pea sized amount of ziana on my fingers and rub them together
then pat lightly all over my face

wake up the next morning to perfect skin :)

(I will update in a month)

UPDATE:
STOPPED WORKING BROKE OUT EVERYWHERE DO NOT BUY THIS DEVIL CREAM

on 4/3/2014 2:06:00 AM

I've always had persistent acne, and when I went to the dermatologist, I was prescribed both Ziana and a oral prescription. Long story short, I'm really allergic to a common ingredient in oral derma prescriptions. (It made me pass out!! It turns out it's kind of difficult to do homework, and program algorithms when you're passing out as the keyboard. Who knew? ;) )

Anyhow, it came down to the lone ranger Ziana, and thank goodness this stuff did the job.

Now I know this is primarily a makeup website, so let's be clear--this is a prescription acne gel. It comes in a metal tube. Honestly, it smells, looks and feels like glue. The packaging isn't cute, the smell isn't fabulous. It's not cheap either. Without insurance, if I recall, it would have been a good $200+. But it did work for me. So I would recommend, if you are considering this, see if your dermatologist can get you a sample and a coupon!

on 4/2/2014 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

My doctor prescribed me this for persistent acne that wouldn't go away even at 21. I tried Retin-A, which just was an awful experience, Clyndoxil, which basically bleached my pillows, and then I went on Diane for awhile until it was recalled by Health Canada, then Alesse... and now I'm on this. I've been on it for about three months and I can't say I notice a huge difference in my skin, but it hasn't gotten any worse. It has helped with some of the redness and the angry bumps. My insurance paid for all of it (thank god), but the price tag was somewhere around $120 if I wasn't covered, so make sure you're covered. It doesn't burn my skin but it does make it sticky before I go to bed, which is when you're supposed to apply it. It's a gross yellow colour, but for an rx I wouldn't expect it to be visually appealing. It also kind of moisturizes, so if you have dry acne prone skin, you don't have to moisturize after putting this on (and I wouldn't recommend you do - don't mix this stuff with anything!) I also haven't been using it every night, and maybe I would have different results if I did.

EDIT: I used this every night for about 5 months and didn't see a noticable difference in my skin. I wanted this to work so badly! Guess it's back to Tactuo aka burn your face off every night.

I had seveare acne and I was prescribed Ziana, since I was running out my money I had to go for generic, I went online searched for this product and got the generic (Tretinoin–Clindamycin) online at International drug mart. At first I was hesitant to use the generic, since I I was fearing if the drug would have the same effect as that of the brand and I found out I was wrong after using the product and generic drug was nice.

Popular Treatments (Face)