September 17, 2014 | 2030 users online

Treatments (Face) - Ziana

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2014 10:30:00 PM More reviews by Laurelwood

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

7/10/2014
I went to the dermatologist about a month ago to see if I could get some Retin-A for my post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation (PIH), however I also had some active acne lesions as well so she prescribed Aczone in the morning and Biacna (Ziana is the US version) at night. I have noticed that this combination has been working very well.

The Biacna has smoothed out my skin and I no longer have those little bumps under my skin like I used to - it seems to be controlling my hormonal acne. I have fewer breakouts and ones that do occur don't seem to last very long. I'll update again in a few months :)

8/27/2014
I have to update and say that the acne has been coming back and then going away (probably with my cycle) but I havent had any cystic acne which is great - mostly white heads. I cant seem to get rid of these darn things. I'll update again in a few more months to see how things are going.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2014 6:58:00 PM More reviews by aimeeblack

I've been using it for 1 week and this stuff is crazy! I'm one of those people that have tried everything. My face hasn't peeled, gone red, or broken out. Best of all, my acne has improved by so much! I'd say 70%. I haven't broken out like the other reviews said I would. I've never seen such results. the entire right side of my face (which used to be covered) is almost clear. There are still scars and redness from the zits. My acne feels like an illusion, my skin is super smooth but you can still see it... the bumps are flat... I'm being optimistic here but I'd say in a month my acne will be gone!

Cleanser: Spectro Gel (using it for years love it)
Toner: Toner by simple (very gentle you can't go wrong with that)
Then I wait 30 minutes because Ziana has Retinol in it which works best when applied to completely dry skin
put a pea sized amount of ziana on my fingers and rub them together
then pat lightly all over my face

wake up the next morning to perfect skin :)

(I will update in a month)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2014 2:06:00 AM More reviews by aknakano

I've always had persistent acne, and when I went to the dermatologist, I was prescribed both Ziana and a oral prescription. Long story short, I'm really allergic to a common ingredient in oral derma prescriptions. (It made me pass out!! It turns out it's kind of difficult to do homework, and program algorithms when you're passing out as the keyboard. Who knew? ;) )

Anyhow, it came down to the lone ranger Ziana, and thank goodness this stuff did the job.

Now I know this is primarily a makeup website, so let's be clear--this is a prescription acne gel. It comes in a metal tube. Honestly, it smells, looks and feels like glue. The packaging isn't cute, the smell isn't fabulous. It's not cheap either. Without insurance, if I recall, it would have been a good $200+. But it did work for me. So I would recommend, if you are considering this, see if your dermatologist can get you a sample and a coupon!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2014 11:48:00 PM More reviews by Lo08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My doctor prescribed me this for persistent acne that wouldn't go away even at 21. I tried Retin-A, which just was an awful experience, Clyndoxil, which basically bleached my pillows, and then I went on Diane for awhile until it was recalled by Health Canada, then Alesse... and now I'm on this. I've been on it for about three months and I can't say I notice a huge difference in my skin, but it hasn't gotten any worse. It has helped with some of the redness and the angry bumps. My insurance paid for all of it (thank god), but the price tag was somewhere around $120 if I wasn't covered, so make sure you're covered. It doesn't burn my skin but it does make it sticky before I go to bed, which is when you're supposed to apply it. It's a gross yellow colour, but for an rx I wouldn't expect it to be visually appealing. It also kind of moisturizes, so if you have dry acne prone skin, you don't have to moisturize after putting this on (and I wouldn't recommend you do - don't mix this stuff with anything!) I also haven't been using it every night, and maybe I would have different results if I did, which is why I'm giving it 4 lippies instead of 3.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/11/2014 7:27:00 AM More reviews by chriscindrella

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had seveare acne and I was prescribed Ziana, since I was running out my money I had to go for generic, I went online searched for this product and got the generic (Tretinoin–Clindamycin) online at International drug mart. At first I was hesitant to use the generic, since I I was fearing if the drug would have the same effect as that of the brand and I found out I was wrong after using the product and generic drug was nice.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2013 10:21:00 AM More reviews by Ello

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am 28. I still suffer from cystic acne and have tried just about every prescription on the face of the planet. Yes even Accutane only worked temporarily for me. A few years ago before I got pregnant with my son, I was put on Retin-A Micro (I wrote a very detailed review over the course of 6 weeks, check it out if you want to know everything your skin will go through while on that medication) and after 3 months, my skin was clear. I stayed on Retin-A cream for a little over a year before becoming pregnant and stopping the medication. My skin managed to stay somewhat clear during my pregnancy and while I was breastfeeding. It wasn't until after I stopped breastfeeding that my acne returned with a vengeance. Giant, red, sore cysts appeared along my jawline and my pores on my nose, cheeks and chin became plagued with blackheads. It was an absolute mess and I was absolutely horrified. Not only did my face look like that of a teenager, it was extremely sore. Nothing over the counter worked, so back to my dermatologist I went.
Immediately upon entering, my dermatologist ordered several extractions and cortizone shots. She then reviewed my charts and suggested an aggressive antibiotic pill combined with a retinoid cream. This time I was prescribed Ziana because of the combined medication. Clindamycin is an antibiotic and it is combined with tretinoin to make the medication, Ziana. I was also prescribed Doryx, which I will be reviewing shortly.
Now, let me warn you. Although I responded well to Retin-A Micro in the past, my doctor had to go a different route this time. Not because of my skin, not because of any reactions or lessened effectiveness. A different medication was prescribed because of MY AGE. Yes, MY AGE. As I said earlier, I am now 28. Most insurance companies FLAT OUT REFUSE TO PAY for retinoids for women over the age of 25. My insurance company is one of them. The Ziana medication is combined with an antibiotic, thus is keyed as a treatment for acne. Retin-A is often given to women to combat the aging process.
I have been on Ziana for 3 weeks and I can already see a huge difference in my skin.

Here are the PROS:
1) Cysts are starting to flatten, turn less red and are no longer sore to the touch.
2) Pores are starting to unclog. Chin and nose are still fairly full, but the cheek area is really responding. Pores in this area are starting to unclog and shrink.
3) Small pimples along jawline and forehead are almost completely gone.
4) Previous acne scars still remain, but are starting to soften.
Here is the only CON so far:
1)Skin is starting to flake. Not nearly as bad as the first time I used Retin-A, but I am not sure if it is just Ziana's formulation, or that my skin is used to these harsher treatments. Nevertheless, my Mad Hippie moisturizer is doing the trick.

The last thing I want to mention is the price and process of actually getting your insurance provider to pay for this medication. First of all, the process is completely infuriating and will make you cringe. I have a serious skin condition and my insurance demanded that I try a cheaper treatment option that had never worked for me in the past. In fact, I was actually allergic to the mediation they suggested. It took over 3 weeks of my doctor working with the insurance company to get them to pay anything for the medication. They came back with a Co-PAY of $75.00 per tube (a month's supply) even though I have the card from the manufacturer of Ziana that says "Pay no more than $25.00." I don't have terrible insurance either, and this is the first problem I have ever had with them. It still doesn't make it any better.
I was given lots of samples from the doctor to get me started and I will pay the $75.00 for my medication because it works. I just want to put my story out there to help anyone who may be taken by surprise when their insurance fights them on paying.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2013 1:47:00 AM More reviews by kaixin101

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This medicine is amazing. After suffering from pretty bad acne and trying every topical product out there (benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, tea tree oil, sulfur masks, etc.), I had pretty much given up all hope of clear skin. I started Ziana and saw no immediate results, but kept applying every night. A month later, my acne was significantly reduced. Two months later... I only have two small pimples that are in the stage of drying up. I highly recommend Ziana; it seems to be gentle on the skin. Keep with it! The results are amazing. I'm so much more confident. Good luck! P.S. I used in combination with doxycycline, which seems to significantly improve results.
Pay no more than $20 MediSAVE Card for Ziana.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2013 1:44:00 AM More reviews by MadisonBryan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Let me just say, thank GOD my mother had the idea to get me to a dermatologist when I started having really terrible hormonal acne. It came out of nowhere. Huge, painful zits that scarred. And for someone who has had very little acne her entire life, I was flipping out. My dermatologist initially wanted to put me on some sort of water pill, but I refused (read the side effects if you ever have a derm suggest it for you.. it's nasty.) so he instead put me on Ziana.

Guess what? My skin is flipping PERFECT. Not only has my acne subsided, my huge pores are now microscopic. I had success with Ziana right off the bat with little to no "shedding." It may be because I used it in conjunction with jojoba oil. I would wash my face at night, use a little rosewater to tone, and then would apply Ziana while my face was still damp with rosewater. I would then wait 30 minutes and put on a layer of jojoba oil. My face GLOWS now. It never had a "glow" before.

You're gunna want insurance for this bad boy, as trying to buy it at a retail price is soooooo expensive. I actually got my first tube for free!

Another thing, Tretinoin acid is known for having amazing anti-aging benefits. I'm only 21, but I hope this is true! My aunt (61) has beautiful skin and has been using tretinoin cream since she was in her 20s.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2013 11:36:00 PM More reviews by jessierose27

Hello people of the world suffering from acne and scarring. I never write reviews. Just let that sink in. This product is that wonderful. HONESTLY, This product has saved my life.
Dat confidence, man.

2 years ago, I was in high school and I had the worst acne of my life. I fell into this vicious cycle of wearing lots of liquid foundation to conceal the blemishes-> more acne-> more stress-> depression-> it was literally such a horrible experience. Well to be honest, I wore Neutrogena Skin Clearing liquid foundation with SA- but SA does nothing for my skin.

I remember counting about 30 pimples on my face, small to cystic, all over my forehead, around my mouth, and definitely on the sides of my face. I was a picker. My face looked disgusting without makeup. I would come home and just pick my skin and create more problems and just ew it was horrible.

FINALLY, off to the dermatologist I go. I remember hiding my face behind a magazine in the waiting room. THAT BAD.

I was prescribed Ziana at night and another product during the day. Oh my goodness, Ziana. Zi the fuck ana where have you been all my life?!?! This stuff is my Holy Grail Night treatment for the rest of my life. That good. It's an acne and anti-aging treatment in 1 because it constantly exfoliates your skin and pushes fresher skin to the surface. THIS PRODUCT IS AMAZING.

This has helped my clogged pores so much. I AM SO CLEAR. I had 30+ PIMPLES ON MY FACE. And I am so clear. Not 100% spotless, I get hormonal and stress related acne still, some clogged pores from cosmetics, but I have not had a cystic pimple in the 2 years I've been using this...

This is amazing. I'm so clear. I will try and get ahold of my before and after pictures if you guys want. I'll gladly share it to help other victims of acne. Acne is such an emotional pain. I can empathize and I want to help others.

This product-- I would/will seriously pay the 200+ it would cost if I didn't have insurance coverage. HOLY GRAIL.

My derm visit she didn't even have to take a picture of me my next checkup, 2 months later. I was that clear.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2013 1:44:00 PM More reviews by Ameeme

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

You wouldn't believe the results that I achieved using Ziana Gel! I wrote a detailed review along with posted pictures of my progress on my blog! Check out the drastic results!