August 30, 2014 | 1136 users online

Hair Treatments - Spectrum - Coconut Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2014 1:41:00 PM More reviews by siouxie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Picked up at Emerald Laboratories Extra Virgin coconut oil at GNC (16 oz.) for maybe $7.50 or 8.00? Bought it a couple of years ago, but still have my 16 oz. jar. Regardless, if you have bleached hair, you need this like yesterday. Just recently bleached my hair white blonde. Afterwards, it was no surprise that my hair felt rough and parched. Have very dry hair to begin with. Used a Biolage cera-pro treatment and that helped ALOT. Didn't shampoo either, but just used a clarifying conditioner. And yet hair still hadn't fully bounced back.

So today, inadvertently came across coconut oil and applied a small amount to my bangs and the bulk of my hair. Hair felt instantly moisturized, and applying coconut oil as a preshampoo treatment is highly recommeneded. Also, for cool blondes in particular this is a CLEAR oil which is preferred. To avoid yellowing of your color, avoid oils like argan and olive which may leave a warm toned cast to your hair.

Bleach your hair? Get this for aftercare.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2013 2:10:00 PM More reviews by leeanne2020

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This Oil has been amazing for me. I have long hair which is oily at the scalp but dry on my ends and Spectrum just sinks right in - no greasy residue. I still have body, a healthy shine and volume to my hair. It looks and feel moisturized. This can be used as a leave in, pre shampoo or monthly hair treatment. Its SOOO Light. Nice coconut smell but not over powering and the scent doesnt linger too long on my hair and skin. And by the way.. when I slathered this on my body after I came out the shower - it was like I came BACK to Life! This oil just absorbed like no other - Once Again - No greasy residue feeling afterward. EVEN The Next day, after I showered Again my skin still felt so soft from the night Before. I have been using it for a WHile now and I Barely made a dent in it. Its going to last for a very long time. My little sister has eczema and thick coarse hair So I ran and got her a bottle of this oil that SAME week...because shes adorable and I want her to have this beauty secret which will help her for MANY years too come. Put it also on your finger and toe nails for excellent conditioning before you apply polish. This Oil is literally good from head to toe!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2013 12:43:00 PM More reviews by coconaut

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Bought this at Vitamin Shoppe for $8. I think it was on sale that week.

Yes, yes, yes. All of the reviews are true. This hydrates like no other.

A fellow cuban vegan girl with similar hair to mine recommended using coconut oil on my natural hair, sans blowdrying.

I don't really like how it looks on my natural hair -- maybe I put too much of it. It just makes it look greasy AND frizzy.

However, it definitely hydrates even the dryest of hairs. I use it as the "heavy duty" tool in my arsenal when blowdrying the frizziest parts of my head.

For $8, you've got nothing to lose, and this stuff lasts MONTHS, even if you've got LOTS of hair like me.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2013 1:15:00 AM More reviews by chemistryfordummies

There are sooo many uses for coconut oil! I used my jar mostly for makeup remover, hair masks, and after shower leg moisturizer in the winter. Lasted me a good 9 months. My main complaint is about the packaging. I wish the opening was wider because once it was at the bottom, the oil was solid and I would have to place the jar in a bowl of hot water to melt it and then pour it out, which made somewhat of a mess. But other than slightly annoying packaging, it is an amazing product. I've got my mom using it now!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2013 5:48:00 AM More reviews by lyssaw519

I love using this as a weekly treatment! It smells so yummy and makes my hair super soft! This is best used as a pre-wash treatment because it is hydrophobic and repels water. I put enough on to coat my hair and scalp and leave it in for about an hour then shower as usual. This has definitely made my hair softer and more manageable! I highly recommend but don't buy the refined stuff at the grocery store! You should only use VIRGIN coconut oil which can be purchased at a health food store for about $10.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2013 9:29:00 AM More reviews by mrsbigsky

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the holy grail for calming my frizzy, thick, naturally wavy hair. I'm blonde and I've read that blondes have more strands of hair than other types, typically very fine though. This is true for me and it's difficult to keep it in nice condition simply because even though I'm a natural blonde I have to highlight to keep it as light as it was when I was a child.

In conjuction with using only Redken lightener (I've found is less damaging than even Aveda's) I love to use unrefined coconut oil by spectrum whenever my hair isn't feeling up to par.

I just had a baby, so my hair has been more combination- oily at the roots and dry at the ends. I was just looking up aveda reviews and before spending more cash, I remebered my beloved coconut oil. I took a scoop out and rubbed it in my hands to bring it to liquid form, rubbed it all over my hair. I use quite a bit because I know it will wash out from experience. The moisture is amazing. Yes you have to take your time and really shampoo your hair. I use Wen (co washing) conditioner to remove it and it works like a charm. If you don't use Wen, you can use regular shampoo and conditioner and remember to rinse rinse rinse with cool water.

The results are shiny bounce back hair. Expect the scent to linger in your hair and make you feel like you've returned from a tropical vacation. Yum.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2013 11:38:00 PM More reviews by rilokiley1289

I am copying and pasting my review from another coconut oil listing:

For reference, I have medium/fine (though a lot of it) shoulder length dirty blonde hair which lighten with Sun-in (about 3 times a month with the blow dryer). I often blow dry my hair and follow with soft curls/waves from using my Chi flat iron. My hair is mildly damaged with very dry ends and usually just feels all around thirsty/dehydrated.

I use straight up 100% coconut oil (purchased from a locally owned grocery store similar to Fresh Market or Whole Foods) from a jar/tub (Olive oil never worked as well for me and I don't care for the smell). It cost me about $15 for a decently sized jar/tub thing that has lasted over a year. I used to submerge the jar under hot water to melt it, but lately I've found it *much* easier to apply to my hair by just scooping it out while it's semi-solid (it has an almost soft waxy texture like a chapstick) and generously running in through my hair in sections then tie it in a high bun. I've read that since coconut oil penetrates the hair that there is no need to blowdry but I feel like the heat helps so I'll usually blow it on high heat for a few minutes. I put on a cheap cotton headband to keep it from running onto my face/neck (which it will eventually but whatever it's sooo worth it/since I shower after and wash my face I've never broken out from it), cover with a shower cap and then a twistie turby (those thing hair towel things). I like to let it sit as long as possible, though I personally couldn't comfortably sleep with it in, so I'll usually clean and do house work for a few hours. When I get into the shower to rinse it out, I shampoo twice and follow with a normal conditioner. Afterwards my hair feels and looks soooo much healthier, shinier, softer, and way more hydrated. Whenever I want to spend a ton of money on salon quality hair treatments and masks I have to remind myself to just go back to coconut oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2013 4:25:00 PM More reviews by CelloIsLove

I use coconut oil for three purposes: as a deodorant, hair treatment, and mouthwash.
To use it as a deodorant, I just rub a small amount on my underarms after showering. Some people mix it with baking soda. I've never tried it this way or found it necessary. I don't sweat a lot, but with the hormones from being pregnant, my pits tend to be stinkier than usual. I've used clinical strength and men's deodorants and neither have been able to keep me odor free for as long (all day and night) as coconut oil. I've also used natural deodorants and the crystal block type, and for me they work worse than conventional types.
To use it as a hair treatment, I usually apply a small amount to slightly damp hair in the morning. I have to have my hair in a neat bun all day, and this helps cut down on flyaways and prevents my ends from becoming frazzled and crispy (a big problem with having my hair in a bun every day). I don't like using hair spray because of the chemicals and getting it on my sensitive skin, so this is a good alternative.
As a mouthwash, I occasionally practice oil pulling, but mostly I just swish with a teaspoon of coconut oil after brushing. Even with not eating a lot of sweets and good oral hygiene, pregnancy and the lowered immune system that comes with it can make your mouth really vulnerable to bacteria growth and tooth decay. This really surprised me when I started waking up with sour mouth and very sensitive teeth. Using coconut oil has greatly diminished that sensitivity and helps keep my mouth fresh for much longer, not to mention that it works as a tooth whitener and remineralizer (aka, it can actually strengthen your teeth). This is a somewhat unconventional use for coconut oil, but it's extremely effective and I highly recommend it.
I don't use coconut oil as a body or facial moisturizer. On the body, I find that it absorbs almost too well, leaving my skin very dry after an hour of applying it. I also don't use it on my face because it can break me out (but pretty much only Jojoba oil doesn't break me out, and I mean that among practically every other substance on earth). So this use didn't work for me, but I'm not docking any rating points for that because it's so amazing for other uses, and I know it works well as a moisturizer for some other people, just be aware that it might not work for everyone.
Overall, this is an incredibly useful and diverse product. You're bound to find at least one practical use for it, if not more.
I also take around 2 or 3 tablespoons of coconut oil a day internally, which gives me a nice boost of energy and helps calm anxiety, not to mention a whole array of other health benefits and it being a powerful antioxidant (makes you pretty from the inside!). I recommend either taking it straight or at least cooking with it if you can't stand eating a spoonful of it, lol. Also, buy TWO jars: one for internal and one for external use. Don't mix! Yuck!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2012 5:39:00 PM More reviews by AmVue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am a massage therapist and I use this particular brand and product during my sessions. After studying certain conditions of the skin some of my clients were experiencing I decided to use Spectrum Expeller Pressed Organic Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil because of it's superior quality and price. My clients absolutely enjoy how it feels and how it makes their skin look. I love how it glides for a relaxing Swedish massage and how I can use it during the Deep Tissue sessions. I stored it in a pump lotion type bottle. When I wanted it to liquify I wrapped a damp hot towel around it then a dry one to seal in the heat. I am able to find it in most grocery or health stores. By the way I also use it on my own body and hair. It's a dream product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2012 12:06:00 PM More reviews by bamaRN37

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My review is for coconut oil in general, I use another brand that is certified organic. I have bra strap length hair that's super thick and dry/brittle. Just got highlights a couple days ago and the bleach did a number on my hair. Picked up a jar of this and applied it right when I got home. I ended up using a large amount in order to saturate all of my hair. I loved how shiny my hair was when I was applying it, and how silky it felt. I pinned it up and slept in it, then washed it out the next morning. I thought I'd have to wash it twice, but I only needed to do it just once. Used regular shampoo/conditioner and it still felt soft. When I dried my hair I did have a good bit of body in it, which is rare for my hair. Overall I am very happy with this and will continue to repurchase!