February 1, 2015 | 1638 users online

Hair Treatments - Spectrum - Coconut Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2015 5:52:00 AM More reviews by AnimeFreak91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I apply overnight and shamppo in the morning. Always sleek, frizz, free and shiny. super cheap and easy to find.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2015 12:34:00 PM More reviews by StinaBaby21

I use coconut oil to remove my makeup and in my baths at night. I even use it mixed in with my kids moisturizer after their baths/showers.

As for hair, I'm not the hugest fan. I only use this when my hair is in need of protein. Which is kind of why I think people aren't experiencing awesome results with their hair. Coconut oil deposits proteins into your strands. If you don't need protein, you're going to experience straw like hair afterwards.

To remove makeup, I slather it onto my face with finger tips and rub. For my (waterproof) eye makeup, I gently massage the oil over my eyes until I feel the mascara has dissolved. Then wipe off with a really warm wash cloth.

I just make sure to be ready to hop in the shower immediately after. Because this stuff can get everywhere.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2014 9:00:00 PM More reviews by graceface07

When I finally decided to try coconut oil It was because I was struggling with itchy winter skin all over my body. I had tried all kinds of oils and moisturizers and found that coconut oil applied to damp skin fresh out of the shower works wonders. The moisturizing results last all day! Takes my mascara off like a dream and I always dab a little on my lips which keeps them from getting chapped. My husband who is a barber uses it to slick back his hair before adding some hairspray. We have also used it as a body massage oil on a romantic evening. The only thing I don't love this for is a hair mask . Most likely thats bc my hair is fine and coconut oil is a bit too heavy for me but thats a personal thing, I will say it again your hair type and porosity (coarse, curly, fine, etc) will determine on whether this works for you as a hair mask, if not there are so many other uses for this oil so don't waste it! I can't say enough good things..but did I mention the smell!? It contains antimicrobial properties which makes it a safe treatment for pets and hydrates their fur and skin. When you rub the solid coconut oil between your hands it almost instantly liquifies making application easy. I now have a jar in each bathroom and a jar in my kitchen - l add a spoonful in my smoothies (great nutritional benefits). For reference I also use the "Shea Moisture" raw shea butter body wash and spectrum organics unrefined coconut oil. This is a true all purpose oil!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/8/2014 4:32:00 PM More reviews by sarahscantron

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My room mate swears by Coconut oil, uses it on her face, in her hair, pretty much everywhere. I went out and bought my own from Trader Joes for around 6 bucks, which isn't too bad. I have fine hair, and this made my hair incredibly greasy looking. When I tried to use this on my face, my hair would stick in it, again making my hair greasy. The one thing I do use it for however, is an after bath moisturizer. I slather it all over my arms and legs, and overall my skin is way softer than it was before.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2014 8:52:00 AM More reviews by cherryme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil- I don't like you at all! I tried you in many ways and from so many brands but we just don't have a good relationship! In fact, I hate you.

For hair I tried it in many ways: on wet hair, dry hair, just on scalp, scalp+hair, after washing, before washing, under shower cap + towel, for fly aways etc etc but I just never had the nice, shiny, easy to detangle hair that other reviewers have. It is too greasy for my hair, left it greasy even after washing and needed a lot of shampoo to wash it off.
It was oily the next day.
For me Castor oil is better. Coconut oil always made my hair tangled but I never have the above mentioned issues with Castor oil.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/30/2014 4:24:00 AM More reviews by l0vx3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Maybe I did it wrong? But I cannot understand the hype. I let it melt or whatever and put it all through my damp hair. I slept with it in over night. I had my hair in a shower cap so it wouldn't get every where (even though it still did). In the morning it was difficult to wash out, and once I did I had to use a deep conditioner because my hair wasn't soft. It was very disappointing.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2014 1:00:00 AM More reviews by TeamKaren77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is hands down my top hair secret. Heat it up, rub it in and my hair is silky and manageable for days. I recommend the refined version, which has a much less pronounced coconut smell.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/4/2014 5:56:00 PM More reviews by lotusxflowerxbomb

Coconut oil is really good for your hair but an extreme pain in the ass haha. You have to have patience if you're gonna use this. I recommend using it 2-3x/week in order to get the ultimate results. First you need to shampoo and rinse your hair, towel-dry, then scoop some of the oil into a bowl(it's easier to stick the glass jar in the microwave for about 30 seconds then pour some in the bowl)... but anyways, yeah you apply the oil to your damp hair, massaging it into your scalp, all the way down to the ends. For best results I leave it in for at least 2 hours, or over night. It usually takes me 3-4 washes to get it all the way out of my hair.... I have medium, mid-back length hair and usually by the 4th wash, or 3rd with a really good shampoo(I use Awapuhi Ginger by Organix and I love it), it's completely out. Once my hair is dry I notice my hair looks and feels healthier, softer, shinier and just so nice looking :) I love coconut oil, but like I said you gotta have a loooottt of patience because it's really really annoying to work with. I'd def recommend wearing disposable gloves when applying the coconut oil because it will leave your hands insanely greasy and if you're anything like me, it drives me crazy when I have greasy fingers!!! But overall, it is worth it because coconut oil will give you healthier, stronger, softer hair. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2014 3:57:00 PM More reviews by Honeyamber1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like that this product is organic, cold pressed, and unrefined. I picked it up at my nearest natural food store and it was a little on the expensive side but I didn't mind. This particular brand didn't have the sweet coconutty smell I was expecting but was more nutty and subtle. I bought the 16 oz. tub about a year and a half ago and it's practically empty. I mainly use it on my hair initially on the scalp but later on and currently as my pre-poo overnight and when I need to get some serious detangling done when I've had moments of shameful neglect. One thing I noticed immediately was how wiry my hair felt and not the softness and thickness I've heard others espouse. I want to really like coconut oil because of all of its benefits and testimonials I've read but I'm still not there. I continue to use it because it's one of the few oils that penetrates the hair's cortex and really nourishes it from the inside out. I'd definitely repurchase again, though may try other brands.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2014 1:41:00 PM More reviews by siouxie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Picked up at Emerald Laboratories Extra Virgin coconut oil at GNC (16 oz.) for maybe $7.50 or 8.00? Bought it a couple of years ago, but still have my 16 oz. jar. Regardless, if you have bleached hair, you need this like yesterday. Just recently bleached my hair white blonde. Afterwards, it was no surprise that my hair felt rough and parched. Have very dry hair to begin with. Used a Biolage cera-pro treatment and that helped ALOT. Didn't shampoo either, but just used a clarifying conditioner. And yet hair still hadn't fully bounced back.

So today, inadvertently came across coconut oil and applied a small amount to my bangs and the bulk of my hair. Hair felt instantly moisturized, and applying coconut oil as a preshampoo treatment is highly recommeneded. Also, for cool blondes in particular this is a CLEAR oil which is preferred. To avoid yellowing of your color, avoid oils like argan and olive which may leave a warm toned cast to your hair.

Bleach your hair? Get this for aftercare.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No