CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser

3.7

Water, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-11, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Polyoxyl 40 Stearate, Glyceryl Monostearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phytosphingosine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

on 2/16/2015 12:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

My typically oily skin has recently become this weird combination of oil with itchy flaky dry skin underneath. Not sure if it's from the extremely cold winter or just that my skin is changing. Anyway I switched to this cleanser after reading some great reviews both here and on some other makeup reviews sites. First of all I don't use this to remove makeup, I don't think it would so I didn't try. I use Life brand 3 in 1 cleansing cloths from SDM to remove my makeup at night. I use this cleanser in the morning and only at night if I didn't use makeup during the day or if I am following up the cleansing cloths with my clarisonic (I use the clarisonic twice per week). My skin is less dry since I started using this, there is no tightness/itching to my skin after washing with this and no breakouts. My skin feels softer and looks less red and more clear. The consistency is a little weird for a cleanser, it feels like I am trying to wash with a runny lotion but it works really well. If you have any dryness at all I would recommend using this. Best gentle cleanser for acne prone, dry/combo skin I have found so far. Would repurchase.

on 2/15/2015 1:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Didn't like this although it claims to remove makeup it does not, not even a light powder if ur makeup free then u might like it very gentle.

on 2/13/2015 3:04:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I have normal-dry skin (used to be very dry but has now normalised drastically). I'm still wary of foaming cleansers so I picked up the hydrating one hearing rave reviews about it. I must say its nothing special. However it did not break me out, the pH is apparently balanced, and it seems gentle enough for even sensitive skin. These are the pros. The cons are - it leaves a slightly filmy feeling after use and could not remove makeup (I oil cleanse before I use this so its not a problem for me but in case there's any residue even after oil cleansing).

This is a very average product but effective enough. I know I can find better and I will be on the hunt for it. Until then this product is "decent enough."

ckb

on 2/9/2015 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

As much as I love Cerave Moisturizers -- this cleanser wasn't anything special for me. Yes, it is hydrating. But it didn't do a great job at removing my makeup. It doesn't lather and is more of a gel-cream cleanser. I won't purchase this again because there are others that hydrate AND remove makeup. But if you are only going to use this in the morning to start the day -- it would be great!

on 2/7/2015 3:29:00 PM

This is just a nice basic non drying facial wash! I started using this 4 years ago with a facial brush and have never looked back. It has done wonders for my skin. However, that being said It is not a product that is going to wow you. I tried using it without a facial brush and just did not like it nor did it do a good job for me, left makeup and didn't really "clean" my face. It has a nice creamy consistancy but does not foam or get sudsy. The smell is very non offensive, if just really doesn't smell like anything at all. So if you have a facial brush or don't wear makeup, you get a nice product for a really decent price. If you don't have a facial brush I would say skip it and try something else.

on 2/6/2015 12:35:00 PM

I purchased this product to wash my face at night to remove my makeup foundation, eyeliner, mascara, etc., because someone on "You Tube" recommended it and said it removed her makeup. Well, not mine, it doesn't work. After washing my face, all my makeup was on my white hand towel. The product does not state that it will remove makeup. I switched to Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser "Foaming Formula" to remove my makeup and that does the job.

on 1/27/2015 12:06:00 AM

This cleanser is ok its gentle basic great for sensitive oily skin. Only works to clean oil an dirt off the face. I have combination dry skin this worked great for the fist week but started to dry out my skin even though this is for normal to dry skin. It does contain ceramide and hyaluronic acid which is used to help retain moisture in the skin but was not effective in the cleanser. I first try out the one for normal to oily skin is was the same no difference just thinner in consistency and barely any foam. The oily skin version is comparable to cetephil but less gloopy. Both types are just too drying. They did not cause any irritation or breakouts.

on 1/25/2015 9:54:00 PM

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I am a huge fan of this facial cleanser! It has so many good qualities and features that other cleansers just don't have.

Summary of product:
This product is a moisturizing lotion facial cleanser. IT IS NOT A SOAP! I repeat: this is a cleanser, not a soap (yes, this is a difference!). The reason I feel the need to differentiate between the two is because a cleanser is a product that merely cleans using any sort of chemical that breaks down dirt, oil, makeup, etc. A soap is a product that cleans specifically using a high concentration of amphipathic (essentially, capable of breaking down any lipid like the oil that comes out of pores) molecules. So, all soaps are cleansers, but not all cleansers are soaps. The reason this product is a cleanser and not a soap is because, while it does contain a detergent, it is very low in concentration (very far down on the ingredients list). Further, the product uses significantly less harsh chemicals, such as alcohols, to clean. This cleanser is specifically designed for those with dry or normal skin (says so right on the bottle).

Pro's:
This product does exactly what it was designed to do. It cleanses the skin nicely of left over makeu, dirl, and oil at the end of the day using a good combination of mostly alcohols and a small amount of detergents (the phosphates and sodium lauroyl lactylate). This prevents the drying out of skin. I tend to have mostly normal skin (not dry or oily), but it does get a bit dry at the corners of the mouth at times. This is not much of an issue with this cleanser seeing as, it does not exacerbate the dryness, which is easily remedied by moisturizer.
This product hydrates the skin. It has so many good skin moisturizers! You almost never find this many in a cleanser. It contains Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6 11, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, and Glycerin (for those that say it leaves behind some kind of layer on the skin, it's simply the hydrating glycerin).
Has a patented multivesicular emulsion formulation. What this means is that the skin hydrating and nourishing ingredients (like the ceramides and HA) can get deeper into the skin as opposed to just sitting on the surface and barely having any effect. Plus, it helps facilitate the gradual release of these ingredients into the skin so you benefit from them all day as opposed to just in the short time after washing your face.
The feel of this is very silky on the skin. It does not lather, however, IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO LATHER! Again, this is a cleanser, not a soap. Soaps lather. Cleansers, don't need to (they can, but it doesn't make a difference). Lathering does not actually help with the cleansing process. Companies actually add lathering ingredient simply because, they know people like the lather. It serves no actual purpose, except to make you feel as though you're getting a better clean (You arent, though. It just seems like you are.).
Leaves my skin feeling nice and soft. It is clean without that overly stripped, uncomfortably stretched skin feeling that comes with using an overly harsh facial soap.
Has a normal and light face cleanser scent, which does not linger at all.
decent price given the way-better-than-any-typical-drugstore-product formulation ($11 at Target).

Con's:
None.

To those that have complaints about the fact that it does not lather; again, I feel the need to say, it doesn't have to and it's not designed to do that. Don't fault a product for something it never claimed to do and does not need to do. To those who does not like the glycerin it contains: it's a hydrating cleanser for those with dry akin and Glycerin is one of the best skin hydrating ingredients around. It may feel like there's some sort of layer there (not in a bad way, if you ask me), but that's just because it's doing what it was designed to do! It's hydrating! Again, do not fault a product for doing what it's supposed to do. Understand what kind of compound glycerin is (a humectant, which, by definition, is a molecule that helps draw in and hold onto water) and the benefits of having glycerin on dry to normal skin, because there's really no reason for someone using a cleanser for dry to normal kin to complain about an ingredient like that. To those who don't think it cleanses well enough: you make not have dry or normal skin. This product is not designed to get rid of every trace of oil from the skin, only excess oil! So, if you have oily skin to begin with (even if it's just somewhat oily), this cleanser will not be strong enough for your needs, because (I feel like a broken record at this point) it is not designed to be. Those with oily skin need more harsh detergents to strip away all the oil. Those with dry to normal skin can't handle that (we end up with dry, peel skin. EW!).

So, overall, I love this cleanser. IT DOES EXACTLY WHAT IS WAS DESIGNED TO DO, AND IT DOES IT WELL! It cleanses my mostly normal (but a teensy bit dry) skin PERFECTLY!

on 1/15/2015 3:04:00 PM

The perfect gentle cleanser for those with sensitive, dry, or "winter" skin.

I use it as my 2nd cleanser in my nighttime double cleansing routine, and as my only cleanser in the morning. It's so gentle, which in the winter is exactly what I need. I'd love to incorporate something more "active" but my skin can't handle it. It needs a warm hug, some kind words, and to be tucked into bed and read a goodnight story. CeraVe is that warm hug.

If you wear makeup, you'll need to remove it first. I don't think this is strong enough to remove a full face of makeup. On lazy days you could even do a cleansing wipe + CeraVe.

on 1/2/2015 2:54:00 PM

Bleah. Disgusting! Irritated my skin and made it dry! I don't get the hype! It happened the same with Cetaphil cleanser.