CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser

3.7

Water, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-11, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Polyoxyl 40 Stearate, Glyceryl Monostearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phytosphingosine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

on 8/21/2015 2:42:00 AM

I love this stuff. I have pretty dehydrated skin but an oily forehead and I get some mild hormonal acne on my cheeks/jaw line. This product removes excess oil and product residue without stripping my skin. (I usually wear a light layer of BB cream for complexion and pretty much never have a full face of makeup - so I have not tested this as a makeup remover.)

I get that some people don't like this cleanser because it doesn't leave you with the "clean feeling". This is because it's not stripping your skin. You decide if this is what you want/need.

It has no scent at all. It doesn't clog my pores or break me out.

on 8/14/2015 8:24:00 AM

This cleanser is nothing to write home about. Its does not foam. Its feels slippery like a lotion. Its doesn't not strip your skin at all. I almost feel like I use extra product just to make sure my skin is cleansed. This product does not break me out but i can see how it can cause others too. Will not repurchase.

on 8/8/2015 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I wish I could give this a zero rating! Unfortunately this cleanser broke me out big time, within just a few uses. I had been using Cetaphil and my skin was looking a little dry, so I thought this would be a good alternative. My skin broke out in rash like bumps, little flesh colored ones and much larger painful red bumps. Overall my skin looked greasy (something my very dry face hasn't experienced in a long time!) and very inflammed, even previously calm pimples were red and sore. Ended up giving this to a relative without acne-prone skin.

on 7/18/2015 11:50:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

After a negative reaction with Eucerin's Redness Relief Soothing Cleanser, I looked for a facial wash that would cleanse without foaming, stripping, or causing a burning sensation. I have combination skin with an oily, acne-prone T-zone and normal to dry, sensitive cheeks. I didn't have a negative reaction, but my skin still felt oily after cleansing and rinsing repeatedly. I suspect this product is best for skin that is all over normal to dry.

on 7/13/2015 3:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I've been using CeraVe for 7 years now and don't ever plan on stopped. I've introduced it to countless number of friends and family because it's the ONE SOLID brand in my skin care that I will never change (unless they change).

Clear, thin, watery consistency. Easy to spread all over face. A little goes a long way (this applies to CeraVe’s entire line of skin care products) and fragrance-free. Upon washing your face with it, you'll feel like there's this residual film left over on your skin. I like to tell myself this is the ceramide barrier in CeraVe's products :) You'll get used to it.

This stuff seriously saved my skin when I had an outbreak of painful pityriasis alba. Thank you so much CeraVe!!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

For reference, I have dehydrated/combo skin that tends to be prone to clogs but not pimples if that makes sense. I use this after my oil cleanser at night and by itself in the AM. Its a weird texture but you get used to it. It leaves my skin feeling clean but not tight. There was a learning curve because I used to LOVE foaming cleansers, however they destroy my skin. So when I first started using this, I was like "WTF is it even doing anything?" but it is. I wanted to like the Cerave Foaming but my skin does not tolerate niacinamide well so I'll be sticking to this. The price is fair, you get a lot. I like the pump bottle but it makes it hard to get the last little bits out at the end.

I've repurchased this about 3 times. I've strayed and end up with a red face until I admit defeat and come back to this baby.

on 6/6/2015 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

8/23/2015 edit: Still loving this cleanser! I just wanted to edit and note that it helps to leave it on your skin for a few minutes. This gives the ingredients a chance to 'work their magic' before being washed off :)
----------------
7/7/2015 EDIT: I bumped this cleanser up to 5 stars. I am using a harsher cleanser at night but reach for this every morning to add moisture to my skin while still cleansing it. Which brings me to my next point - I really would only recommend this cleanser to strictly those with dry skin.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: I want to clarify - this cleanser is not suited for oily skin. My skin is still very greasy, but I have random dry patches and that's what this cleanser takes care of. The best way to describe Cerave Hydrating Cleanser is that it's a moisturizer that you wash off. It is soooooo gentle.

Background on my skin: Super oily, acne prone, rosacea, ugly. Also I currently live in hot, humid TX.

All of the Cerave products I've tried have been hell for my skin. I tried all of the moisturizers, which lead to volcano breakouts. And I even gave the cleanser for oily skin a try (spoiler alert: it stripped my skin so badly I thought my face was going to bleed). So I was reluctant to try yet another one of their overpriced drugstore products ever again.

I got anti-androgenic medications this year for my hormone levels and as a side effect, my skin suddenly started having dry patches. Yet I'm producing a ton of grease. It's a vicious cycle. Drying actives got rid of the acne but dried me out, moisturizers got rid of the dryness but added the acne right back in. I almost miss the good ol days when not even 10% benzoyl peroxide could dry my pizza-face out. D: I totally get the concept of finding the right balance, but that's nearly impossible when both parties are causing trouble.

HurricaneNika on cafe board mentioned this cleanser months ago & claimed it got rid of her dry skin flakes. We have a somewhat similar skintype (I think I'm more oily though). I figured it was worth a shot. I still use Jojoba Oil to remove my MU/moisturize. And I still love Simple's Micellar Water (review in profile). But I still felt something was missing from my regime.

The reason I still have to use my Simple Micellar Water is because this cleanser will NOT completely cleanse your face nor remove long-wear make up. It's like using light hair conditioner to wash your face. I actually wish it were a teeny, tiny bit harsher in the cleansing department. But on the flip side.. it got rid of any skin flakes. WITHOUT breaking me out. So I really shouldn't complain. I've reviewed all of the ingredients and there is only one that concerns me - Cetearyl Alcohol. That is a very pore-clogging ingredient for most acne-prone people. However since this is a cleanser - it does not spend hours sinking into my skin before being washed off. That may be why the cleanser doesn't break me out, but the moisturizers do. Another note: I'm pretty sure its the ceramides in this product that are the miracle workers. Cerave Hydrating Cleanser contains 4 of them pretty high up in the ingredient list. Ceramides help restore and protect the skin's natural barrier. I actually put this on my chapped lips for about 10 minutes and when I washed it off with a wash cloth, my lips felt buttery smooth. Similar to the results I get sleeping with a lip balm on overnight. Amazing stuff.

So now that I've explained all the pros, there is one legitimate con. Nearly $15 for a drugstore cleanser is somewhat insane. Even my current boyfriend commented on it, and he's a typical clueless man.

I'll repurchase.

on 6/4/2015 2:29:00 AM

Okay I love this cleanser!! I wasn't too worried about the "Not-lathering" aspect because i was using Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser before this and it is somewhat similar. But Cerave outshines cetaphil in so many ways. When i use this, my skin feels and looks amazing. I actually have mild rosacea and redness on my cheeks, and this is the only cleanser that calms it down. I notice a lot of people having problems with this cleanser breaking them out? I think it it because they are using it in the wrong way.

YOU MUST APPLY THIS TO DRY SKIN, NOT WET. I literally rub this all over my dry face with full makeup (even on my eyes) and splash with water and it takes off EVERYTHING! So i don't get why people complain about it not removing makeup.
Anyways, I would totally recommend this cleanser to anyone and everyone. It is a high quality product at a bargain price.

on 5/31/2015 10:56:00 PM

To me this is an AM cleanser and an excellent one at that. I don't think I would or could use it to remove makeup. But it is absolutely wonderful for a morning cleanser. I use it to remove oil and retin-a from the night before and it feels absolutely great. I have sensitive skin and there is no irritation at all. For me, it is calming to the skin and the perfect prep for my morning routine. Highly recommend! I'd give it 5 stars if it did it all... meaning if I could use it at night to remove makeup. I use the CeraVe Foaming Cleanser in PM for makeup removal.

on 5/29/2015 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

I have newly-diagnosed rosacea. The first dermatologist handed me a sample of Mirvaso and left the room. The 2nd one recommended I use this product to cleanse with and that I should wear mineral make-up. Ok. That felt great; at least someone told me something. Well, I really wanted to believe in this stuff and I think if you use it in the morning, it is ok. But if you are wearing make-up, forget it. Even the mineral make-up. I thought I was cleaning my face until I looked at my skin in my magnifying make-up mirror that I use, and I could see that there was still make-up on my face. I went back into the bathroom and used a soft washcloth to wipe my face clean. Even then, I still saw some. I don't know what to do. I have Clinique Take The Day Off balm but I haven't used anything but what was recommended to me. But I never had any problem with the balm, so, I am thinking, I will use that first, then cleanse with the CeraVe. But when that bottle is done, I am going to go back to Dove for Sensitive Skin. It was not hurting me (that I know of) and it always cleaned my face.