September 22, 2014 | 1901 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Eye Charm - Double Eyelid Tape

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2013 3:47:00 PM More reviews by PaperAlias

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have one monolid and one natural double eyelid and I wanted to make my eyes look more even so I have been using this as a "training tape" to make my monolid a double (it's almost a year now since I started). I use the Eye Charm tapes (pink packaging) in "Slim" for a small crease.

This worked very well for me, but I will say that this is going to be hit-or-miss with everyone. This tape does not work well with eyeshadow. The product description on some sites claim you can easily put makeup over this, but you can't. It looks very noticeable. The tape itself has a dotted texture and it is not completely transparent like clear packing tape. I didn't wear much eye makeup when I started using this (I didn't like the way it looked with my uneven eyelids) but since I was creating a very low crease on the eye, I have actually been able to get away with wearing this by itself during the day almost everyday without it looking obvious. The upper part of the lid hangs over it just enough to cover the tape but still create a crease like the one on my natural double eyelid eye. If you want to make a bigger crease, you will need the "Regular" size, but note that a bigger piece of tape will be more noticeable.

I would also wear these every night. If you plan on wearing this daily (or nightly) as a training tape, you have to be consistent in changing them and applying clean ones. And you have to be careful when removing them; eye makeup remover will reduce tugging. Too much pulling will eventually make the skin look droopier over time. So handle your lids with care!

The package does come with a little plastic two-prong "fork" to help you find your crease and determine where to place the tape. I've only had to use it the first time I started using this. After a while you can get a better idea of where exactly the tape needs to go, but the fork's there if you need it.

These are super inexpensive. I've gotten mine off of eBay for just a few dollars per packet (shipping included), with 40 pairs per pack. I think you can find these on Amazon too.

My monolid is now able to stay a double lid without the tape and my eyes look much more even now. And I can wear eye makeup without feeling self-conscious! I do want to continue using this for another few months for good measure though.

I really do like these, but as I said, it will not be for everyone, depending on individual eye shapes and whatnot. But if you do find that these kinds of tapes and eye lid glue don't work for you, I recommend those special "eyelid fibers" to try (I think AB Mezical and Mezaik are some popular brands; may be a bit more expensive). They work similarly to the tape, but instead of a full strip of tape, you get a very thin, clear piece of sticky fiber you apply at the crease. Much less noticeable if you want to make larger creases, and I think easier to work with if you want to apply eye makeup too.

UPDATE 6/12/14: Still have the even double eyelids! I no longer wear these everyday. The crease seems to be permanent now. I only wear them a couple times a month, for maintenance just in case. But I can go weeks "tapeless" now.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2012 5:59:00 AM More reviews by chynnadoll21

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Black

Based on the reviews here, this seems to be more about eyelid tapes in general than Eye Charm brand (is this a brand?)

Anyhow, I use eyelid tapes on and off. Great to make hidden double eyelids (like mine) bigger. But a bit tricky for those who have a *fatty* eyelid (like me :( ) You need experimenting to get the right size/design/application to get it to work.

But will continue using these whilst I look at other eyelid enhancing methods:)

rated 3 of 5 on 5/10/2011 8:10:00 PM More reviews by HelloTrini

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for about a year. :D I think it's okay... The tape is a bit noticeable. Not all that bad though. Just don't wear them in public. xD Hahaha. But, yeah. I no longer need to use them because they gave me permanent (sort of permanent!) double eyelids. ;] And that's what I love about these things! Lol. I used them for a few days, then my eyes just stayed as double eyelids. :D My eyelids go back to monolids every once in a while, but I just use the tape again, and it goes back to double eyelids. So, yeah. I really like this tape, even though it's kinda noticeable. It's really cheap! I got them on eBay for about a dollar, with free shipping. So, I won't complain. ;] I would recommend this to people who don't care if it's noticeable. xD And want something cheap to try out.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2011 3:41:00 AM More reviews by leisterz

If you have super heavy monolids like I do, then the tape CAN be hidden. The reason for this is because the tape will fold inwards and so most of the tape will be concealed under your fatty eyelid. The only downside is that the "double-eyelid effect" is not as obvious. And in some cases, might still remain mono, but the up side is that it makes your eyes twice their size and rounder and less droopy. The trick to hiding the tape is apply makeup over it. Matte eyeshadows are more ideal because the tape is reflective. However, this problem can also be solved by applying eyeliner over the tape so that it'll look like part of your eyelid. One of my fave bloggers has a good tip on this so you should check out her blog frmheadtotoe.com (under the single eyelids tag)

I've been using this trick for almost a year and a half now and nobody can tell I have the tape on. They just notice that my eyes somehow have a different shape and size with makeup on. Even if i tell them to look for the tape, it took them awhile to see it (even though I pointed the tape out to them).

I wish these tapes were cheaper cuz the uncut ones can give you way way way more eyelid tapes than these for half the price but i usually end up getting these because of my laziness to cut the tapes into the correct size for my eyes.

Even so, I'd recommend this for people who wants bigger eyes!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2010 5:57:00 PM More reviews by kathrynb23

I dont have monolids, but one of my eyes are slightly smaller then the other. I think these would work excellently for people with droopy lids, but for me they were just horrible. They were so noticeable, they fall off easy. I got advice from someone, that these would help me open my right eye to make it the same size as my left....It didnt work.
The only double eyelid gimmick I believed works well is the old eyelash glue on your lid trick.....
Dont waste your time on this.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2010 11:49:00 PM More reviews by rainrain826

the tape kind of worked.
this is a super expensive glue,jap, got in at har. clearer than eyelash glue. noel borrowed in. pen, i cut off the tip. can make lid bigger. i liked the packaging.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2010 6:58:00 PM More reviews by organicdonna

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am 55 years old and have drooping eyelids. This tape is like having a eyelid lift for free. At first I was self conscious about wearing the tape because I thought it showed. I asked several friends and family if they noticed the tape. Not one person had noticed the tape, even after I pointed it out they still couldn't see it. It takes at least 10 years off my age. I can't believe that everyone isn't wearing this tape. I guess it will just have to remain my secret.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2009 7:13:00 PM More reviews by xcutie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is perfect for "training" your eyes to have double eyelids. They're sticky enough so that they won't come off when you sleep or stay at home for the whole day, and it doesn't hurt to remove them. After wearing for a few hours, I can already see a defined crease forming on my eye.

If you plan to buy this, I suggest that you ONLY use this to "train" your eyelids. Wear them at night and on days that you plan to stay home. They're shiny and WILL look obvious on your eyes, no matter how much makeup you put on. So wear them when you sleep, and wake up in the morning to bigger eyes!

EDIT: Ok, so after almost a year of wearing these to bed, my single lids have become double lids, PERMANENTLY! I'm amazed... I used to wear these to sleep and then touch up the temporary double lids with eyelid glue during the day, but now, they stay on their own, even if I don't sleep with this tape on. Although I still use these anyway, out of habit. I can't say this will work for everyone, but give it a try! I was so close to getting eyelid surgery, so I'm glad I discovered this.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/3/2009 3:03:00 AM More reviews by hhcheung2000

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wish that the tape wouldn't be as reflective as it is because it's really noticeable when you put it on and close your eyes. I tried to cover it with makeup, but you can still see it.

It does give you the crease and lasts quite a while, so it does what it says it's supposed to do. But I don't know if I would really recommend going out in public with it on.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/19/2008 10:11:00 AM More reviews by Meagan22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Black

For those who don't know, eyelid tape is a pre-cut piece of medical tape that people place on their eyelids to make them more pronounced. The tape is transparent but textured, so it will be a little noticeable if it peaks out. It's possible to put makeup over the tape, but I haven't found a way to make it look like a plain, matte eyelid (because of the texture all of my shadows look a little shimmery whether they are or not).

I'd been thinking about buying eyelid tape for a while but I was hesitant because 1) I thought it would feel weird on my face and 2) I didn't think that it would work for someone who already has 'double' eyelids (most of the 'after' pics you'll see for this product look like my lids pre-tape). I was too lazy to try to track down a store in my city that might sell these (this is a popular product in East Asian countries, so you could probably find this product in a Chinatown, Little Korea, Little Japan, etc. near you) so I ordered a pack of tape from online.

There are 40 tapes in the pack I ordered. The pack I ordered didn't come with an applicator, but I don't think that the applicator is really necessary. I peeled one of the litte tape ovals off of the sticky backing and then tore it along the perforated line in the middle to get two half-ovals. In front of a mirror I tiled my chin toward the ceiling and closed my eyes slightly so that I could see and feel the bone above my eyes. Then I took each half-oval and placed one on each eyelid just below where I felt the bone.

This product definitely did what it claimed to do- with the tape on my eyelids are twice their usual size. However, because I already had some visible eyelid the tape didn't disappear into a skin fold like it would with someone who doesn't have much visible lid (do an image search for eyelid tape and you'll see what I mean). I tried putting eyeshadow on over the tape to camoflage it, but I didn't like the way it looked. I plan to keep on wearing my tape, but until I figure out a way to make it look right I'll only wear it around the house - sort of an eyelid 'training' type of thing instead of for streetwear.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No